• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:40
CEST 03:40
KST 10:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9248 users

Rossi's energy catalyzer - Page 50

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 Next
Zetter
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany629 Posts
October 14 2014 13:08 GMT
#981
On October 14 2014 18:36 Huruid wrote:
I like this argument from that link:
Show nested quote +

A total of 1.5MW Hours over 32 days = just under 2kilowatt hours continuous for the 768 hours in 32 days.

Or about one wall socket.

Bet it's plugged into the wall.


While I do get the gist of the argument, that's just about half the output of a european wall socket.
Mendici sumus. Hoc est verum. | I don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public. | Es ist keine Tugend edel geboren werden, sondern sich edel machen | οἶδα οὐκ εἰδώς
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12010 Posts
October 14 2014 13:31 GMT
#982
Also, please learn how to use the units regarding electrical currents.

What you wanted to say is "1.5MWh in 32 days means ~2kW. Of course, you could call it kWh/h, but that is kind of stupid. kWh, or Ws, or anything along those lines is a measure of energy. Watt is a measure of power. Energy is power * time. Thus, a wall socket does not deliver "~2kWh continuous for x hours". A wall socket would deliver "2kW continuous for x hours, totalling 1.5MWh"

It is incredibly annoying that every single time kW and kWh are mentioned, they are used incorrectly. It is not hard. At least you didn't use kW/h.
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
October 14 2014 17:13 GMT
#983
Apparently, the widow-larsen theory seems plausible for the e-cat.

The particle physicist one page earlier should be able to elaborate alot better than me though.
On track to MA1950A.
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-14 19:21:09
October 14 2014 17:18 GMT
#984
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-14 21:15:08
October 14 2014 21:13 GMT
#985
On October 14 2014 22:08 Zetter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2014 18:36 Huruid wrote:
I like this argument from that link:

A total of 1.5MW Hours over 32 days = just under 2kilowatt hours continuous for the 768 hours in 32 days.

Or about one wall socket.

Bet it's plugged into the wall.


While I do get the gist of the argument, that's just about half the output of a european wall socket.

How much energy you can get from the socket must depend on the fuse used, no? If you have a 100A fuse you must be able to get more energy out than with a 10A fuse? Assuming same potential. Or am I missing something? A normal home will have a fuse around 10A, right? Which would give just above 2kW at most. But I assume they didn't do the test in someone's living room, but some lab or something that would have a stronger fuse. But maybe he pulled a cable from the neighbours so that the lab wouldn't notice the energy bill. :p
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
October 14 2014 21:27 GMT
#986
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.

Here's what Google gave me:

Widom-Larsen theory of LENRs predicts ultra low momentum neutrons created by collective weak interactions

The Widom-Larsen (W-L) theory explains low energy nuclear reactions (LENRs) in terms of the production of neutral subatomic particles called “neutrons” at ordinary temperatures and pressures. Unlike conventional neutron-triggered fission and hot fusion reactions (that involve random collision of individual particles and require extremely high temperatures and pressures), the W-L theory proposes that collective processes involving many particles acting in concert to generate neutrons with negligible kinetic energies, i.e., they have ‘ultra low momentum’ (ULM) [1] (Transmutation, The Alchemist Dream Come True, SiS 36).

Such neutrons are created within collectively oscillating patches of protons or deuterons (found on surfaces of hydrogen-loaded metallic hydrides) that can react directly with heavy-mass electrons created by the huge local nanoscale electric fields that also occur on the hydrogen-coated metallic surfaces. In such nanoscale surface environments, neutrons are created collectively in a weak interaction process directly from electrons (e-) and the nuclei of hydrogen, i.e., protons (p+) and/or deuterium, deuterons (d+), as follows [2]:

e- + p+ -> neutron + neutrino (1)

e- + d+ -> 2 neutrons + neutrino (2)

This type of neutron production due to weak interactions in very high surface electric fields is well-described by the generally accepted electroweak theory [3] on which the W-L theory of LENRs is based.

An isolated ‘normal’ thermal neutron outside a nucleus travelling through a solid has a quantum mechanical wavelength of about 0.2 nanometre (1 nanometre is 10-9m) and a speed of about 2 200 metres per second, which is faster than a rifle bullet. Interestingly, the ‘size’ of a neutron confined inside an atomic nucleus is even smaller, at several femtometres (10-12 m).

By contrast, an ULM neutron formed on a metallic hydride surface in a LENR is more-or-less standing still. Being formed collectively, ULM neutrons have almost no kinetic energy at the instant of their creation, effectively zero. This gives them huge quantum mechanical wavelengths compared to ‘normal’ neutrons. ULM quantum mechanical wavelengths (conceptually, effective ‘size’) increase dramatically [2]. Note that ULM neutrons have much smaller energies (and correspondingly larger quantum mechanical wavelengths) than even the ‘ultracold’ neutrons [4] produced so far in certain experiments.

The ‘size’ of ULM neutrons is typically extremely large in comparison to thermal neutrons. It is directly determined by the spatial dimensions of the surface ‘patch’ of protons or deuterons in which they were created. In particular, their wave function must span the entire patch. Therefore, on the surfaces of condensed matter (e.g., a metallic hydride), the wave functions of ULM neutrons can easily reach 20 – 30 microns, i.e., 10 000 to 15 000 times that of thermal neutrons; and roughly the size of a large bacterium or a cell. Surfaces of hydrogen-loaded metallic hydrides are one of the few environments in the Universe where subatomic neutrons become almost microscopic.


You can read the rest here. I'm highly amused that the article comes from an organization called "ISIS." Don't bother asking me whether any of this is valid.
beg
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
991 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-14 22:04:23
October 14 2014 21:53 GMT
#987
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.

Well, there is an actual paper about the Widom-Larsen theory: http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0505026

BUT... that obviously doesn't mean it's a legit theory. There's already heavy criticism of the theory, claiming they did some major mistakes: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1140/epjp/i2013-13015-3

BUT... NASA still had serious interest in researching the theory.



Anyway, at least the theory isn't completely made up bullshit (unlike others...).
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
October 15 2014 01:36 GMT
#988
On October 12 2014 14:41 ElMeanYo wrote:
"Power output of potential cold fusion reactor baffles scientists"

However, Rossi’s experiment has been verified by six international scientists with expertise in energy who have said they are struggling to understand how the mini-reactor can produce “far more [energy] than can be obtained from any known chemical sources in the small reactor volume.”

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/clean-tech/item/38698-power-output-of-potential-c

A more skeptical report:

http://www.science20.com/a_quantum_diaries_survivor/cold_fusion_a_better_study_on_the_infamous_ecat-146700

I'll give this to Rossi. He's a genius. Either hes managed the invention of the century or hes managed to fool a LOT of smart people.

Is it really tho. I mean a common street magician can fool the smartest of theoretical physicists anyday. Its not that much of an accomplishment when you are hiding crap behind the curtain and someone cant exactly explain what exactly is going on. I wouldnt give him all that much credit for his fraud (if he is)
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
October 15 2014 02:27 GMT
#989
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.


I never heard of Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's made up bullcrap because i don't know how to google. In fact, i live relatively close to it, and another fact, the NASA (Langley research center) showed enough interest in that theory to actually put it to a test, instead of "googling and filing it under gibberish/nonsense". Granted, i didn't check for results of that, but did you?

I personally don't know enough about particle physics to actually bulletproof/dismantle the theory, nor did i claim it actually does explain the eCat. I specifically asked for Cascade (the particle physicist one page earlier) to elaborate. But i trust that NASA wouldn't waste time/money on crap that a blind person could pick apart, so something has to be at least convincing in that theory.
On track to MA1950A.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 15 2014 02:59 GMT
#990
On October 15 2014 11:27 m4ini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.


I never heard of Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's made up bullcrap because i don't know how to google. In fact, i live relatively close to it, and another fact, the NASA (Langley research center) showed enough interest in that theory to actually put it to a test, instead of "googling and filing it under gibberish/nonsense". Granted, i didn't check for results of that, but did you?

I personally don't know enough about particle physics to actually bulletproof/dismantle the theory, nor did i claim it actually does explain the eCat. I specifically asked for Cascade (the particle physicist one page earlier) to elaborate. But i trust that NASA wouldn't waste time/money on crap that a blind person could pick apart, so something has to be at least convincing in that theory.

I don't think particle physics is exactly the correct field for this though. :/ particle physics these days is very high energy mainly, or at least that is what I did. Physics of collision with kinetic energies several orders of magnitude larger than their rest mass (which is my expertise) is very different from what Rossi claims to happen in his ecat.

As I remember there was a paper from decades ago essentially proving that this general approach wouldn't work, and I think it was mentioned far back in the thread. It can't completely exclude that there is no way around of course, which is why there are still some small amount of serious research going into the field. I guess that would be this nasa group mentioned earlier? Don't know.

If I'm bored later I may check up on that wiki page and see if I get anything out of it. But all in all, I am not expert enough to say that this kind of reactions are or are not possible.
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-15 03:26:15
October 15 2014 03:18 GMT
#991
On October 15 2014 11:59 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2014 11:27 m4ini wrote:
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.


I never heard of Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's made up bullcrap because i don't know how to google. In fact, i live relatively close to it, and another fact, the NASA (Langley research center) showed enough interest in that theory to actually put it to a test, instead of "googling and filing it under gibberish/nonsense". Granted, i didn't check for results of that, but did you?

I personally don't know enough about particle physics to actually bulletproof/dismantle the theory, nor did i claim it actually does explain the eCat. I specifically asked for Cascade (the particle physicist one page earlier) to elaborate. But i trust that NASA wouldn't waste time/money on crap that a blind person could pick apart, so something has to be at least convincing in that theory.

I don't think particle physics is exactly the correct field for this though. :/ particle physics these days is very high energy mainly, or at least that is what I did. Physics of collision with kinetic energies several orders of magnitude larger than their rest mass (which is my expertise) is very different from what Rossi claims to happen in his ecat.

As I remember there was a paper from decades ago essentially proving that this general approach wouldn't work, and I think it was mentioned far back in the thread. It can't completely exclude that there is no way around of course, which is why there are still some small amount of serious research going into the field. I guess that would be this nasa group mentioned earlier? Don't know.

If I'm bored later I may check up on that wiki page and see if I get anything out of it. But all in all, I am not expert enough to say that this kind of reactions are or are not possible.


Well. You should at least know more of the basics than most of us here, that's why i thought you'd be "the guy". Didn't mean to put you on the spot. I know that's actually not your field, the author of the theory is a theoretical condensed matter physicist.

Not to mention, it's not really about what rossi claims is happening, but figuring out what actually could happen, since it's universally accepted (by me as well) that he's a bullshitter. The widom-larsen theory is just something that could explain what is happening (apparently) in the eCat, regardless of what rossi is saying.

What bugs me though, is all these self-proclaimed experts here (and in other forums, not meaning you though), ruling everything out by default. That mistake is made alot, even by really, REALLY well accepted scientists. There's scientists out there, completely ruling quantum mechanics out. Quantum entanglement would be a very prominent candidate on that matter (spooky actions at a distance). Apart from rossi being an idiot, and the fact that we're most likely not talking about cold fusion - there still might be something. Explanations like "energy came from a socket in the wall", i mean.. well.

edit: interesting question though: assuming we're all very smart n stuff, and we happen to "invent" cold fusion by dripping milk into a radioactive toaster (whatever, just for the sake of argument, we "invented" cold fusion) - how would you guys actually use that knowledge? I was thinking about that for a couple of days now, and i came to the conclusion, that i wouldn't be as altruistic as the "inventor" of the mp3s, just putting that knowledge out there (at least i'm honest enough to admit ^^). But what else to do? You obviously want it to be confirmed, but you also don't want it to get stolen and abused by a. colleagues, or b. corporations etc. Would you go to the government? Would you try to monopolize the knowledge? How would you get it out there, assuring yourself a happy life ever after?

Even if it looks like i'm justifying rossis way of handling things, i don't intend to. He's a retard.
On track to MA1950A.
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
October 15 2014 07:14 GMT
#992
On October 15 2014 06:53 beg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.

Well, there is an actual paper about the Widom-Larsen theory: http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0505026

BUT... that obviously doesn't mean it's a legit theory. There's already heavy criticism of the theory, claiming they did some major mistakes: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1140/epjp/i2013-13015-3

BUT... NASA still had serious interest in researching the theory.



Anyway, at least the theory isn't completely made up bullshit (unlike others...).

Ok, I skimmed through your two links. Let me try to summarise:

the reaction (1)
electron + proton --> neutron + neutrino
(neutrino not important) is possible, but the outgoing particles are heavier so will not happen spontaneously unless you insert energy into the reaction.
However, you can gain total energy if you force a proton to absorb an electron (by inserting energy), turn into a neutron, which then induce some chain-reaction to other nearby nuclei such as Lithium (and the chain reaction would give you more energy than you had to put in at the start). Everyone agrees on this in principle, only that it is very hard to convince that first proton to absorb the electron.

The idea of Widom-Larsen (WL) is that the the electron can become heavier in a (very) strong electo-magnetic fields which would make reaction (1) possible, as the outgoing products would be lighter than the ingoing ones. For the mass-balance to switch over to the left side of (1), you need to make the electron 2.5 times heavier than it is.

They then claim that the protons in the Palladium nucleus oscillate around and do things that sometimes can create very strong electromagnetic fields just on the surface of the nucleus of palladium. This electromagnetic field will then make a nearby electron heavier, thus allowing one of the protons to absorb it. That would then form a neutron, that would be ejected (slowly) from the nucleus. If you then have litium nearby, you could have the neutrons hit the Lithium, and you would gain a lot of energy by the lithium cascading through a few nuclei, eventually ending up as Helium. They claim that the field would make the electron 20 times heavier, so more than enough. So that would then potentially describe what is going on in Rossis catalyser.

The critical paper (hidden by paywall...) claims in the abstract that WL did the estimate wrong, and that the electron would gain less than 1% of its mass by the surface effect in Palladium. This is not nearly enough (need 2.5) to initiate the reaction WL claimed.
Gowerly
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United Kingdom916 Posts
October 15 2014 11:25 GMT
#993
On October 15 2014 11:27 m4ini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.


I never heard of Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's made up bullcrap because i don't know how to google.

Hilariously, in that analogy, Llanfair PG is made up. A bunch of words mashed together to create a long place name that in the end has no real meaning outside of the words that were smooshed together. In the end the sole purpose being to generate some notoriety/tourist money.
I will reduce you to a series of numbers.
Zetter
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany629 Posts
October 15 2014 12:37 GMT
#994
On October 15 2014 06:13 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2014 22:08 Zetter wrote:
On October 14 2014 18:36 Huruid wrote:
I like this argument from that link:

A total of 1.5MW Hours over 32 days = just under 2kilowatt hours continuous for the 768 hours in 32 days.

Or about one wall socket.

Bet it's plugged into the wall.


While I do get the gist of the argument, that's just about half the output of a european wall socket.

How much energy you can get from the socket must depend on the fuse used, no? If you have a 100A fuse you must be able to get more energy out than with a 10A fuse? Assuming same potential. Or am I missing something? A normal home will have a fuse around 10A, right? Which would give just above 2kW at most. But I assume they didn't do the test in someone's living room, but some lab or something that would have a stronger fuse. But maybe he pulled a cable from the neighbours so that the lab wouldn't notice the energy bill. :p


Depends on the socket. A "Schuko" Type F, which is used here in Germany, is designed for an output of 16A. Apparently Italy also uses it's own standard in addition with either 10A or 16A.
Mendici sumus. Hoc est verum. | I don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public. | Es ist keine Tugend edel geboren werden, sondern sich edel machen | οἶδα οὐκ εἰδώς
misirlou
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal3316 Posts
October 15 2014 16:40 GMT
#995
On October 15 2014 12:18 m4ini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2014 11:59 Cascade wrote:
On October 15 2014 11:27 m4ini wrote:
On October 15 2014 02:18 Nyxisto wrote:
I also have some background in physics, and what is the widow-larsen theory supposed to be? I've never heard of it. Google refers me to the "widom-larsen theory" which I also never have heard of and is only mentioned on weird wikia's and even weirder websites. This is just gibberish proponents of this nonsense have come up with, sorry.


I never heard of Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's made up bullcrap because i don't know how to google. In fact, i live relatively close to it, and another fact, the NASA (Langley research center) showed enough interest in that theory to actually put it to a test, instead of "googling and filing it under gibberish/nonsense". Granted, i didn't check for results of that, but did you?

I personally don't know enough about particle physics to actually bulletproof/dismantle the theory, nor did i claim it actually does explain the eCat. I specifically asked for Cascade (the particle physicist one page earlier) to elaborate. But i trust that NASA wouldn't waste time/money on crap that a blind person could pick apart, so something has to be at least convincing in that theory.

I don't think particle physics is exactly the correct field for this though. :/ particle physics these days is very high energy mainly, or at least that is what I did. Physics of collision with kinetic energies several orders of magnitude larger than their rest mass (which is my expertise) is very different from what Rossi claims to happen in his ecat.

As I remember there was a paper from decades ago essentially proving that this general approach wouldn't work, and I think it was mentioned far back in the thread. It can't completely exclude that there is no way around of course, which is why there are still some small amount of serious research going into the field. I guess that would be this nasa group mentioned earlier? Don't know.

If I'm bored later I may check up on that wiki page and see if I get anything out of it. But all in all, I am not expert enough to say that this kind of reactions are or are not possible.


Well. You should at least know more of the basics than most of us here, that's why i thought you'd be "the guy". Didn't mean to put you on the spot. I know that's actually not your field, the author of the theory is a theoretical condensed matter physicist.

Not to mention, it's not really about what rossi claims is happening, but figuring out what actually could happen, since it's universally accepted (by me as well) that he's a bullshitter. The widom-larsen theory is just something that could explain what is happening (apparently) in the eCat, regardless of what rossi is saying.

What bugs me though, is all these self-proclaimed experts here (and in other forums, not meaning you though), ruling everything out by default. That mistake is made alot, even by really, REALLY well accepted scientists. There's scientists out there, completely ruling quantum mechanics out. Quantum entanglement would be a very prominent candidate on that matter (spooky actions at a distance). Apart from rossi being an idiot, and the fact that we're most likely not talking about cold fusion - there still might be something. Explanations like "energy came from a socket in the wall", i mean.. well.

edit: interesting question though: assuming we're all very smart n stuff, and we happen to "invent" cold fusion by dripping milk into a radioactive toaster (whatever, just for the sake of argument, we "invented" cold fusion) - how would you guys actually use that knowledge? I was thinking about that for a couple of days now, and i came to the conclusion, that i wouldn't be as altruistic as the "inventor" of the mp3s, just putting that knowledge out there (at least i'm honest enough to admit ^^). But what else to do? You obviously want it to be confirmed, but you also don't want it to get stolen and abused by a. colleagues, or b. corporations etc. Would you go to the government? Would you try to monopolize the knowledge? How would you get it out there, assuring yourself a happy life ever after?

Even if it looks like i'm justifying rossis way of handling things, i don't intend to. He's a retard.


"inventions" like that happen in Computer Science a lot. People come up with tools, algorithms (like the mp3 compression algorithm) and give it to the public to use/improve (and even commercialize directly sometimes) for free. Richard Stallman, for all of his flaws, is one of the greatest minds in the field and he is (was?) living on a couch in his University office. Most of the people do get by with developing some things for free and charging money on another areas. I mean, there are companies making money out of their own open and free sources, like RedHat.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
October 15 2014 23:48 GMT
#996
saw this today, not sure if it's relevant. Seems like just a more compact version of what we have already have whereas Rossi is saying his energy is coming from a different process altogether, right?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lockheed-claims-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy/
ElMeanYo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1032 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-16 02:23:13
October 16 2014 02:15 GMT
#997
On October 16 2014 08:48 BlackJack wrote:
saw this today, not sure if it's relevant. Seems like just a more compact version of what we have already have whereas Rossi is saying his energy is coming from a different process altogether, right?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lockheed-claims-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy/


What an amazing coincidence that this should come out now of all times. Here's another article on reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015

Is the (e)cat out of the bag?

edit: also on NBC, The Guardian, and Gizmodo :

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/fusion-breakthrough-well-build-compact-reactor-year-lockheed-n226641
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/15/lockheed-breakthrough-nuclear-fusion-energy
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lockheed-claims-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy/
“The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
October 16 2014 02:23 GMT
#998
On October 16 2014 11:15 ElMeanYo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2014 08:48 BlackJack wrote:
saw this today, not sure if it's relevant. Seems like just a more compact version of what we have already have whereas Rossi is saying his energy is coming from a different process altogether, right?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lockheed-claims-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy/


What an amazing coincidence that this should come out now of all times. Here's another article on reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015

Is the (e)cat out of the bag?
What kind of coincidence do you mean? It seems that Lockheed has actually discovered something, whereas Rossi is just pretending. Skunk Works is highly credible based on a history of technological innovation.
Maenander
Profile Joined November 2002
Germany4927 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-16 03:16:21
October 16 2014 03:13 GMT
#999
I am not sure if Lockheed has indeed discovered something, but they are NOT claiming it's cold fusion, but miniaturized hot fusion, a very big difference:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-16 04:07:30
October 16 2014 04:05 GMT
#1000
I wonder if they figured how to get the polywell to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywell#Fusor

Either way, if they get practical fusion to work. Then we are pretty much set, its pretty much up there with controlled nuclear reactions, the steam engine, and figuring out the whole fire thing.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft483
CranKy Ducklings54
EnkiAlexander 10
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft483
CosmosSc2 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2237
Artosis 607
Dota 2
monkeys_forever674
Counter-Strike
taco 282
Coldzera 47
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox445
Other Games
summit1g8394
JimRising 640
C9.Mang0356
Day[9].tv345
Maynarde154
ViBE146
Livibee62
ArmadaUGS51
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream115
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv345
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
9h 20m
Stellar Fest
11h 20m
The PondCast
1d 8h
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
OSC
1d 22h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.