• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:26
CEST 04:26
KST 11:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9245 users

Ask and answer stupid questions here! - Page 735

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 733 734 735 736 737 783 Next
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12174 Posts
July 26 2019 20:18 GMT
#14681
On July 27 2019 03:57 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Is there any reasonable argument to not register as an organ donor?


Havn't heard one but my mother didn't sign up for research when she entered the register. Her argument was that she didn't really want to be used as a med school autopsy training case.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12015 Posts
July 26 2019 20:54 GMT
#14682
On July 27 2019 03:57 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Is there any reasonable argument to not register as an organ donor?


There are a lot of reasonable arguments against it, probably not a lot of rational ones, though.

If your religion states that you must not do it.
If you personally are worried about what happens to your body after your death.
If you are worried about your family and friends being more sad if the corpse in your grave being incomplete.
(If you are paranoid and think that if you register as a donor people will kill you for your organs.)

There are a bunch of personal reason for people to be against it, and in my opinion, there is not really a lot wrong with this. I do have major problems with the people who don't care, or would actually be in favor of being an organ donor but who are too lazy to ever bother to do it.

I think everyone should at least think about it, and figure out for themselves whether they are fine with it or not. Don't be lazy, because currently if you don't answer, you answer "no".
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46483 Posts
July 26 2019 21:20 GMT
#14683
Thanks everyone for the responses! I was curious as to whether or not any arguments would convince me to not become one (they have not)

I agree with you, Simberto, in that everyone should think about it and figure out whether anything other than laziness would or should prevent them from becoming an organ donor.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
July 26 2019 21:27 GMT
#14684
Ideally you turn it into an opt out system instead an opt in so that you don't have to worry about lazy people.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
July 26 2019 21:29 GMT
#14685
I've watched too much Grey's Anatomy/medical dramas combined with a general distrust of affluent people making me think that if even for a moment they think they can sacrifice me for my organs I'm fucked, so it's save me or toss it out.

I don't have any objections to my organs being harvested after my death (and I guess I could get past the thought of racist medical students defiling my corpse), I just don't want for even a moment the passing considerations of someone else using my organs until I'm dead (or I inexplicably get pregnant ala Junior).
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
xM(Z
Profile Joined November 2006
Romania5299 Posts
July 27 2019 07:49 GMT
#14686
On July 27 2019 03:57 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Is there any reasonable argument to not register as an organ donor?
overpopulation
And my fury stands ready. I bring all your plans to nought. My bleak heart beats steady. 'Tis you whom I have sought.
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-27 16:38:46
July 27 2019 16:38 GMT
#14687
On July 27 2019 16:49 xM(Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2019 03:57 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Is there any reasonable argument to not register as an organ donor?
overpopulation

Saving people from premature deaths does not lead to overpopulation. In fact, the opposite is true: saving people (especially kids) from premature deaths is a measure against overpopulation. This video explains it well:
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
zev318
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada4306 Posts
July 29 2019 15:48 GMT
#14688
whats the correct way (if there is one) to walking on a ledge? facing the wall or facing away from the wall?
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
July 29 2019 17:43 GMT
#14689
If you need to support yourself, you would be facing the wall anyways. If not, then facing away should place your centre of gravity closer to the wall.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
August 11 2019 22:20 GMT
#14690
How much money would someone have to give you for you to shift your worldview/goal from making more money to rationing the money you have doing what you wish with your time?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
August 11 2019 22:55 GMT
#14691
On August 12 2019 07:20 GreenHorizons wrote:
How much money would someone have to give you for you to shift your worldview/goal from making more money to rationing the money you have doing what you wish with your time?


I would take my expected lifetime earning potential, accounting for the risk, then decide how much I value my life working versus doing what I want, I value it at around 50-60%. If this number is above a basic standard of living, then I'd be good with it.

I think I'd need 4-5 million to quit working for the rest of my life.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
August 11 2019 23:27 GMT
#14692
On August 12 2019 07:20 GreenHorizons wrote:
How much money would someone have to give you for you to shift your worldview/goal from making more money to rationing the money you have doing what you wish with your time?
Enough to live whatever I consider a reasonable lifestyle for the rest of my average life expectancy.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Fecalfeast
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada11355 Posts
August 12 2019 00:03 GMT
#14693
For me it's enough for a capital investment and to purchase property on which I can live self sufficiently outside society.

I think the problem with that question, unless this was the secret purpose of the question, is that to most people "making more money" means putting in hours of work 5/7 or more days of their life.

Once you have enough money where your daily expenses for the reasonable future are covered, the money you have left over earning interest requires 0 effort, 0 hours of work. To begin earning money in this situation, beyond just a high-interest account, you do not have to "shift your worldview" in the slightest. Check on your low-risk investments and meet with someone from your bank every so often and all of a sudden you're having your cake and eating it too.

ModeratorINFLATE YOUR POST COUNT; PLAY TL MAFIA
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
August 12 2019 01:35 GMT
#14694
--- Nuked ---
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
August 12 2019 04:01 GMT
#14695
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12174 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-12 05:46:41
August 12 2019 05:43 GMT
#14696
On August 12 2019 13:01 Zambrah wrote:
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.


You wouldn't consider moving to a cheaper place to live? 50k USD a year is a lot of money in other places.

If I could keep my current cheap living cost I would be fine on ~1k a month (after taxes). It would be enough to take trips, keep up my hobbies and so on. This would of course increase with inflation but 50k a year sounds like way more than I would need to quit working for life.
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
August 12 2019 07:58 GMT
#14697
On August 12 2019 13:01 Zambrah wrote:
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.

Between 1 and 2 million in an index fund will net you around that on average for the resit of your life (presumably).
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
Archeon
Profile Joined May 2011
3273 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-12 10:11:32
August 12 2019 10:07 GMT
#14698
On August 12 2019 14:43 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2019 13:01 Zambrah wrote:
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.


You wouldn't consider moving to a cheaper place to live? 50k USD a year is a lot of money in other places.

If I could keep my current cheap living cost I would be fine on ~1k a month (after taxes). It would be enough to take trips, keep up my hobbies and so on. This would of course increase with inflation but 50k a year sounds like way more than I would need to quit working for life.

Worth considering that you're spending a significant part of your life not on work anymore, so you'd spend more on hobbies on average. Also possibly family if that's in the cards for you, which would mean a multitude of 1k living cost in most western countries.

I think 1k is barely realistic where I live and definitely not enough for more than one flight a year. If you live/move to a second/third world country that'd change significantly though.
low gravity, yes-yes!
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
August 12 2019 12:07 GMT
#14699
On August 12 2019 14:43 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2019 13:01 Zambrah wrote:
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.


You wouldn't consider moving to a cheaper place to live? 50k USD a year is a lot of money in other places.

If I could keep my current cheap living cost I would be fine on ~1k a month (after taxes). It would be enough to take trips, keep up my hobbies and so on. This would of course increase with inflation but 50k a year sounds like way more than I would need to quit working for life.


I’m using 50k as my bar since it was roughly what I was making and living off of while living in Virginia, which is definitely more expensive than like... Missouri, but at the same time, I was scraping by off roughly 50K after all the car payments, utilities, rent, property taxes, food, gas, etc.

If I lived in like, China, I could get away with less, though I’d still rather have the 50k in China so I can get an appropriately spacious apartment in a city with English speaking accommodations, I live in Shanghai atm, and my apartment that I pay the rmb equivalent of about 600usd for is pretty small, my kitchen is like 3x3, and I don’t have a full sized fridge, lol.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12174 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-08-12 13:02:26
August 12 2019 13:02 GMT
#14700
On August 12 2019 21:07 Zambrah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 12 2019 14:43 Yurie wrote:
On August 12 2019 13:01 Zambrah wrote:
I’d do it for whatever nets me like 50 to 70,000 a year in interest, live off that for a bit, then get a job, and donate most of the sum to a charity or something once I’ve gotten more or less settled.


You wouldn't consider moving to a cheaper place to live? 50k USD a year is a lot of money in other places.

If I could keep my current cheap living cost I would be fine on ~1k a month (after taxes). It would be enough to take trips, keep up my hobbies and so on. This would of course increase with inflation but 50k a year sounds like way more than I would need to quit working for life.


I’m using 50k as my bar since it was roughly what I was making and living off of while living in Virginia, which is definitely more expensive than like... Missouri, but at the same time, I was scraping by off roughly 50K after all the car payments, utilities, rent, property taxes, food, gas, etc.

If I lived in like, China, I could get away with less, though I’d still rather have the 50k in China so I can get an appropriately spacious apartment in a city with English speaking accommodations, I live in Shanghai atm, and my apartment that I pay the rmb equivalent of about 600usd for is pretty small, my kitchen is like 3x3, and I don’t have a full sized fridge, lol.


I live frugal and the only cost that would change is food that would likely drop 100 USD a month. Rent is surprisingly low for Sweden at around 400 USD (old apartment not renovated in a while). Then food another 200 since I would cook at home more than I do working. Utilities another 100. Total cost for reoccurring costs is thus around 700. Add in clothes, games etc and I probably go to 800 a month.

The last 200 for whatever other stuff I want to do. Would be enough to fly out for a weekend every second month if that is what I wanted to do. Though I honestly dislike travelling so doubt I would do that.

No need for a car, monthly commute card or other things when not working. If a car was added in 1k USD isn't enough here for me.
Prev 1 733 734 735 736 737 783 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 154
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 512
NaDa 42
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm195
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9827
JimRising 772
WinterStarcraft260
ViBE113
Mew2King90
ArmadaUGS59
Trikslyr46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1481
BasetradeTV224
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream139
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• davetesta47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush388
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 34m
INu's Battles
9h 34m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 34m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 34m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 34m
Replay Cast
20h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.