• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:02
CEST 19:02
KST 02:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9178 users

2011 - What are you Reading? - Page 44

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 49 Next All
TheRealPaciFist
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1049 Posts
September 03 2011 18:47 GMT
#861
1) Name of the Wind, Ghost Story, Dance of Dragons
2) Green Ripper
3) Wise Man's Fear
Second favorite strategy game of all time: Starcraft. First: Go (aka Wei Qi, Paduk, or Igo)
Qumquat
Profile Joined April 2011
Israel353 Posts
September 03 2011 18:57 GMT
#862
Just ordered A Game of Thrones on amazon, I've been looking for a good read for awhile, hope this will be it!
jon arbuckle
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada443 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 19:17:05
September 03 2011 19:16 GMT
#863
On September 03 2011 02:58 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Also found this at Barnes and Noble today, again a second book:

[image loading]


Is this good? Report back? Do you know enough about medieval history to judge if it's good?

I don't mean that as a dig, but I'm generally suspicious of anybody who self-identifies with a "home-school movement" because that carries with it a lot of hidden ideology. Otherwise Susan Wise Bauer otherwise doesn't trip any alarms, so maybe her history of the world is a particularly good one whose caveats are only those that plague any large-scale historical survey.

But yeah, report back?
Mondays
megapants
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1314 Posts
September 05 2011 22:12 GMT
#864
I suggest that anyone living near Border's stops by today or tomorrow. They are having a going-out-of-business sale, 60%-80% off everything inside.

Just picked up 3 books for 15$, looking forward to starting them.

1) last book finished was The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

[image loading]


2) Getting into Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

[image loading]


3) Gonna read The Hidden Oasis by Paul Sussman next.

[image loading]
~Lowkey~
Profile Joined August 2011
United States12 Posts
September 05 2011 22:29 GMT
#865
1) Recently finished, Secret History: The CIA's Classified Account of it's Operations in Guatemala 1952-1954, by Nick Cullather.
2) Currently reading, The False Assumptions of "Democracy," by Anthony Ludovici
3) So many on my list, but I believe the next book shall be, Cultural Insurrections, by Kevin MacDonald.
"It never ceases to surprise me at the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge."
unsmart
Profile Joined April 2009
United States322 Posts
September 05 2011 22:37 GMT
#866
On September 02 2011 21:08 UltimateHurl wrote:
BookTwo and BeaTeR, how is Dune as a book? I've only seen the very impressive Lynch movie and the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, but I loved both, Think I'll be painting a sandworm-filled landscape at some stage

I'm in the same boat as you. Just requested my local library to bring the book in. Now the waiting game begins.

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I loved it but it makes me angry that I have to wait for the third book now
MrShaneTV
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
September 05 2011 23:51 GMT
#867
[image loading]
Great eye opener
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-06 00:29:35
September 06 2011 00:23 GMT
#868
On September 04 2011 04:16 jon arbuckle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 02:58 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Also found this at Barnes and Noble today, again a second book:

[image loading]


Is this good? Report back? Do you know enough about medieval history to judge if it's good?

I don't mean that as a dig, but I'm generally suspicious of anybody who self-identifies with a "home-school movement" because that carries with it a lot of hidden ideology. Otherwise Susan Wise Bauer otherwise doesn't trip any alarms, so maybe her history of the world is a particularly good one whose caveats are only those that plague any large-scale historical survey.

But yeah, report back?


I'll report back just picked it up as I just finished recently the first book which covered the Ancient Era, basically one chapter covers say Roman Empire, then switches to China, then India and so forth repeat the pattern while progressing through history so far it's the same. No expert at anything Historical just a neat read.

In other reading news I picked up three more books since my last post:

[image loading]

[image loading] Due to recent TL discussion -.-

[image loading]

5 Books to read. Awesome.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
September 06 2011 07:02 GMT
#869
On September 06 2011 09:23 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

On September 04 2011 04:16 jon arbuckle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2011 02:58 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Also found this at Barnes and Noble today, again a second book:

[image loading]


Is this good? Report back? Do you know enough about medieval history to judge if it's good?

I don't mean that as a dig, but I'm generally suspicious of anybody who self-identifies with a "home-school movement" because that carries with it a lot of hidden ideology. Otherwise Susan Wise Bauer otherwise doesn't trip any alarms, so maybe her history of the world is a particularly good one whose caveats are only those that plague any large-scale historical survey.

But yeah, report back?


I'll report back just picked it up as I just finished recently the first book which covered the Ancient Era, basically one chapter covers say Roman Empire, then switches to China, then India and so forth repeat the pattern while progressing through history so far it's the same. No expert at anything Historical just a neat read.

In other reading news I picked up three more books since my last post:

[image loading]

[image loading] Due to recent TL discussion -.-

[image loading]

5 Books to read. Awesome.


Pillars in a an interesting read. Particularly given Follet is normally a thriller writer. If you're interested in medieval-18th century history I really enjoyed A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped the World.

[image loading]

I am reading Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak right now. In a word "beautiful".
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
Pacman234
Profile Joined December 2010
United States88 Posts
September 06 2011 07:19 GMT
#870
Well, this post won't exactly fill out the guideline in the OP, nor have much too much content. And this book isn't exactly a "book", and the subject can be a little controversial, but I'm reading it, and it's a long, enjoyable read.

While browsing the MLP thread (yes, I am a "brony") I found a post saying that the fanfic called the "Past Sins" was a good entryway to all of the fanfic made for MLP. Wanting to be able to not just like the show, but the whole community, I decided to give it a try. When I discovered that it was made of 21 Google Documents, all of them (Or at the very least, 1-8, as that's all I've gotten up to) more than 4 pages long full of 12 point font text, I was like "no way in NETHER I was reading all this!"

Now, I'm on chapter 8 of what seems to be one of the best reads I've ever had the pleasure to see, and what's astonishing is how this all became possible from a little girl's toy! It's amazing how cute the story is, and how scary it feels when it seems like someone innocent may turn into a truly evil character.

Here's a link to the prelude:Prelude to "Past Sins". As some warnings, DEFNITELY don't read this without watching episode 1 and 2 of MLP:FiM. Personally, they really aren't some of the best episodes, but they are the only ones really related to the story of what's going on in the fanfic. If you can sit through episode 1 and 2, definitely try the other episodes, like episode 7. That one is a great sum of what the rest of the season is like.

Hope this post doesn't become flamebait.
gruff
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden2276 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-06 07:32:23
September 06 2011 07:31 GMT
#871
1) Recently finished:
[image loading]
Keeper of the swords serie by Nick Perumov.

Not sure if it's available in english but read it if it is.

2) Currently reading:
[image loading]

3) Planning on reading
[image loading]
xAPOCALYPSEx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
1418 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-06 09:25:22
September 06 2011 09:24 GMT
#872
On September 06 2011 07:12 megapants wrote:
I suggest that anyone living near Border's stops by today or tomorrow. They are having a going-out-of-business sale, 60%-80% off everything inside.

2) Getting into Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

[image loading]



I'm a huge Chris Wooding fan (sci-fi/fantasy stage), and I was looking a few weeks ago for Retribution Falls+it's sequel at borders

Couldn't find it -.-

Anyways, currently reading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.
Such an awesome book. Different from the also-awesome movie, but this book is basically Gold. Can't wait to get into it's spinoffs
instantnoodles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States190 Posts
September 06 2011 09:37 GMT
#873
just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

its about the future where a virtual world mmo is used for everything like school, shopping, work, etc. and when the creator of the mmo died, he left a quest in the game where you have to find 3 keys and 3 gates. the winner gets the creator's fortune. he grew up in the 80's so the riddles and games involve stuff from the 80's

im bad at summaries but it was a good read and i recommend it to any old school gamer or fan of the 80's.
Vlare
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
748 Posts
September 06 2011 12:20 GMT
#874
[image loading]

Refreshing before the semester starts

Also reading
[image loading]
Mass zerglings doesnt fail
Kreig
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany79 Posts
September 06 2011 12:42 GMT
#875
Currently re-reading one of my WH40K novels

[image loading]

Next one will probably be:

[image loading]
Loading...
OutlaW-
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Czech Republic5053 Posts
September 06 2011 13:08 GMT
#876
Just finished:
[image loading]
Currently reading:
[image loading]
Next:
[image loading]
Busy days ;D
Delete your post underage b&. You're incestuous for you're onee-chan so you're clearly not a bad guy, but others might not agree
virpi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Germany3599 Posts
September 06 2011 13:23 GMT
#877
recently finished: Michel Houllebecq - La carte et le territoire
currently reading: Frank Schätzing - Limit
next book: Wolfgang Hilbig - Das Provisorium

german power.
first we make expand, then we defense it.
NewbieOne
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Poland560 Posts
September 06 2011 22:46 GMT
#878
I am currently reading Truth, Error, and Criminal Law. An Essay in Legal Epistemology by Larry Laudan. I've recently read John Grisham's The Innocent Man (although not finished) and the next one is Tolkien's LotR in English (so far I've only read it in Polish) unless I have to read something else for academic purposes in the meantime. I'll definitely need to wade through like a thousand rulings from Poland's Supreme Court for my SJD.
xAPOCALYPSEx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
1418 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-08 08:25:41
September 08 2011 08:21 GMT
#879
Just finished:
[image loading]
Such an awesome book. The movie was great also, but man, this book blows it away imo. Very different, but an insanely good/fun read. Perfect blend of humor/fantasy/romance/adventure.

Re-reading:
[image loading]
One of my favorite authors. I liked Poison and Storm Thief more than this one, but everything Chris Wooding puts out past his regular fiction phase is pretty awesome. Definitely recommend to people into fantasy/gothic horror, etc.

Reading:
[image loading]
Pretty good book. Very funny an a good adventure/romance, though I feel it would be much, much better if Lenahan didn't try to force the humor too much through a few stupid (imo) lines and scenes.

Up next:
[image loading]
Super excited for it. If Diana Wynne Jones write this anything like she wrote Howl's Moving Castle, then I feel she is quickly gonna become one of favorite authors.

and also:
[image loading]
Looking forward to it. I'm hoping for a dark + dreary sci-fi/fantasy book, and the back cover looked pretty appealing :D
neohero9
Profile Joined May 2010
United States595 Posts
September 15 2011 02:47 GMT
#880
Simultaneously reading these two:

[image loading]

[image loading]

The Rawls is really easy to read-- he's extremely good at explaining things... and I would hope so, after the many iterations those lectures went through.

The Korsgaard is dense as all get-out, but so far she's doing an incredible job of illuminating the different points of view about moral obligation and its sources.

Of both, I'm reading about a lecture every other day.
I cannot stand ignorance or dismissiveness. I edit every post I make-- I've edited this sig three times in an hour.
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 49 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem438
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 360
IndyStarCraft 194
Railgan 69
BRAT_OK 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24366
Shuttle 2396
BeSt 469
Larva 377
Soma 165
Mind 162
Dewaltoss 104
Last 86
Sexy 68
hero 66
[ Show more ]
Zeus 52
Hyun 44
Killer 39
ToSsGirL 25
NaDa 23
Bale 20
Rock 18
PianO 18
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5255
qojqva3170
Dendi1303
420jenkins438
Counter-Strike
fl0m4128
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3566
Khaldor1322
Liquid`Hasu1059
MindelVK14
Other Games
FrodaN2090
singsing1825
byalli934
B2W.Neo818
ArmadaUGS190
Hui .169
KnowMe134
QueenE96
Mew2King57
CosmosSc2 27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick994
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 24
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 51
• FirePhoenix1
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3904
League of Legends
• Nemesis2749
Other Games
• Shiphtur287
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 58m
Replay Cast
5h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 58m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
17h 58m
Monday Night Weeklies
22h 58m
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 17h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.