• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:08
CEST 17:08
KST 00:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8105 users

LaTeX /w TeXnicCenter & Foxit Reader Help

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Nexzico
Profile Joined November 2006
Sweden93 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-20 22:37:03
November 20 2010 22:34 GMT
#1
For those of you who don't know what LaTeX (the x i pronounced similar to the "ch" in chicken) here is a (very) short intro. LaTeX is similar to a programming language (like C++) since you have a source file, in which you write your commands, and compiler which puts everything together. The difference is that LaTeX is (mostly) used for producing math/scientific papers and documents. If you haven't tried it, and have use for a fast end easy way (once you have figured everything out) to write math papers, definitely check it out!

Anyway, on to my problem...

I use TeXnicCenter as my editor, MiKTeX as my compiler and Foxit as my pdf reader.

I write my stuff, compile and watch it come out as a .pdf, so far so good. But after I add something to my text and then 'compile and view' a new Foxit window appears but the old one is still there. So after a while I have like 10+ Foxit windows with basically the same stuff on them, but only one containing my latest updates.

I know I can just close the 'old' pdf files, but seems like a waste of time, and I know that there is a solution. Here is my TeXnic config:

In the Build->Define Output profiles/Viewer

Path: .../Foxit Reader.exe
View Project's Output: Command line argument, command: "%bm.pdf"
Forward search: (same as above)
"Do not close"

I've tried fixing this by, instead of giving the path to the FR.exe, giving it to a .bat file which closes FR, and then opens it up again. I've tried several different codes but none of them seems to work the way I want them to. I read about this some (inferior) forum and the solution they posted was create a "foxit_restart.bat" to replace the regular .exe file. Here is the code:

TASKKILL /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq %2.pdf*"
START "C:\Programme\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe" %1

They also said to change the settings to:

Path: .../foxit_restart.bat
View Project's Output: Command line argument, command: "%bm.pdf" %tm
Forward search: (nothing)
"Do not close"
(BTW if anyone knows what "%bm.pdf" %tm means, please tell me)

I've changed the path to the correct one (including making the path swedish, not german). And since I have Win XP home, the commands are a little different in the .bat file (took me a while to figure that out... im not use to the cmd promt/code). My version looks like this:

TSKILL /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq %2.pdf*"
START ".......\Foxit Reader.exe" %1

Thats all I know I have to change, don't really know what the '%' , '1' and '2' means...
I've also tried a simpler version, just to see if it gets the job done, it does, but with some side effects. But none of them work when i replace the Viewer path to the .bat files. Everything it does is when I press 'view' in TeXnic a window is shown for a split second and then nothing. (I think It's a cmd window). The simple version:

TSKILL FOXITR~1
CD "...\FOXIT READER"
"FOXIT READER.EXE"

I'm hoping sure someone out there knows this.


TY in advance

/Marcus
(Elliot to Dr. Cox) I started an I hate cox chat room. It doesnt really work out the way I planned.. It is me, two inturns and 14.000 lesbians
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
November 20 2010 22:40 GMT
#2
I used to use the same setup as you until I switched to Linux.

My suggestion would be to close the reader everytime you want to compile again. Come on, it's not that bad! If this is REALLY too much trouble for you as you claimed, I believe (not 100% sure) Acrobat Reader does not have this problem. Or you can just compile to *.dvi if you are not embedding anything tricky.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
November 20 2010 22:40 GMT
#3
I use MikTex + TexWorks and the PDF generated always replace the old one. I didnt have to modify anything so that he behavied like that.

TexnicCenter looks very confusing, never used it so I cant really help :/
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
November 20 2010 22:41 GMT
#4
%1 and %2 etc are the first and second (etc) parameter of the batch file call.

for instance ->
bla.bat:
echo $1

then the call
> bla asdf
will execute "echo asdf", hence print asdf on your console.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Sufficiency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada23833 Posts
November 20 2010 22:43 GMT
#5
On November 21 2010 07:40 fabiano wrote:
I use MikTex + TexWorks and the PDF generated always replace the old one. I didnt have to modify anything so that he behavied like that.

TexnicCenter looks very confusing, never used it so I cant really help :/


Or this. Use TeXWorks instead. Or WinEdit, or use Linux . I always find TeXnicCenter lacking in features anyways. Have you even tried other IDEs before? Give other ones a shot, you may actually find something you like. I used to be exclusively on TeXnicCenter too before I decided to explore other options.
https://twitter.com/SufficientStats
Nexzico
Profile Joined November 2006
Sweden93 Posts
November 20 2010 22:54 GMT
#6
First reply after 3 min, TL never lets you down.

I've thought about switching editor since i haven't used it very long, I'm not that attached to it. The reason why I chose TC is because one of my friends have used it for a while, so I figured I could ask him. But apparently not. Maybe I should switch, I've heard that WinEdt is good, I'll check that out. Or if you guys have other suggestions.

TY for the replies
(Elliot to Dr. Cox) I started an I hate cox chat room. It doesnt really work out the way I planned.. It is me, two inturns and 14.000 lesbians
toosoon
Profile Joined July 2010
United States18 Posts
November 20 2010 23:20 GMT
#7
As was mentioned, %1 and %2 correspond to the first and second arguments passed on the command line when running the batch file (lol windows shell scripting).

More importantly, LaTeX is pronounced "lah-tek" (I've also heard "lay-tek", but I'm pretty sure that only happens when people realize they're mis-pronouncing the word halfway through saying it). The X is pronounced like a hard "k".

If you don't feel like dual booting linux, using a virtual machine (like vmware or virtualbox) to run linux from windows is a good next solution. I do this on my laptop, and it works fine for anything not memory or graphics intensive.
FiBsTeR
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States415 Posts
November 20 2010 23:26 GMT
#8
I use TeXnicCenter and MiKTeX also but use Adobe Acrobat as the PDF reader. It closes the old PDF everytime you recompile just like you want, so perhaps you could just switch to this.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-20 23:30:51
November 20 2010 23:29 GMT
#9
When working on Windows I found LEd (Latex Editor) to be the simplest and best front end to use. And for your problem, I can't see how hard Alt+F4 -> PDFLatex compilation shortcut can be...

@Fibster: AR might do the trick, but it's so slow and bloated compared to Foxit that I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
hozz
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany12 Posts
November 21 2010 00:11 GMT
#10
(sorry for caps lock)

THERE ARE OPTIONS IN FOXIT, LIKE "USE EXISTING WINDOW" AND "DO NOT USE TABBING", YOU JUST NEED TO FIND THEM!

It has nothing to do with Latex and Texniccenter, you just need to make Foxit use existing open windows, so only one .pdf can be open at a time.

In Foxit: Tools -> Preferences -> Documents
Uncheck "tabbed documents" and "allow multiple instances" (right there at the top).


Works for me (same setup).
Aquafresh
Profile Joined May 2007
United States824 Posts
November 21 2010 00:57 GMT
#11
I would strongly recommend using linux for LateX stuff, either a dual boot or through a virtual machine like vmware. You can use the plugin for gedit if you want an editor (or even better emacs) and handle all your compiling and file management with simple shell scripts. I used LateX editor when working in windows, which isn't bad, but I much prefer the simplicity of doing all of this in linux.

As for your .bat %# is a command line argument, whereas something in between % is a variable. You can figure out what is being passed to the script by just echoing out the $1 and $2 variables to a text file or something.
shabinka
Profile Joined October 2008
United States469 Posts
November 21 2010 01:03 GMT
#12
I use LaTeX occasionally, I can't really help you with your TeXnicCenter program but I use Texmaker if you wanted to try something different. It works pretty well, and it seems more userfriendly.
moktira *
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Ireland1548 Posts
November 21 2010 13:38 GMT
#13
WinEdt requires a license though so it can be a bit of a pain, also when I used it it wouldn't let you compile if you left the .pdf file open but it would for .ps (granted it was a few years ago so maybe the current build isn't like that).

I use TeXnicCenter at the moment and prefer it to LEd, never tried TeXWorks, I must try it.
If in doubt, differentiate and set equal to zero
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1354
ComeBackTV 594
SteadfastSC461
TaKeTV 389
LamboSC2269
Rex154
IndyStarCraft 144
EnkiAlexander 64
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy17
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 461
LamboSC2 269
Rex 154
IndyStarCraft 144
ProTech136
BRAT_OK 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41729
Shuttle 2420
EffOrt 852
Horang2 812
Light 776
Mini 695
Soma 410
Stork 351
BeSt 324
firebathero 323
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 288
Rush 241
ggaemo 218
Snow 208
ZerO 158
Leta 146
Pusan 74
hero 72
Sharp 61
Sea.KH 56
sorry 50
Killer 45
Shinee 37
Mong 35
ToSsGirL 32
Mind 31
Sexy 27
Yoon 27
Shine 25
Trap 24
soO 23
Terrorterran 22
Bale 21
Free 17
Sacsri 10
zelot 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc9982
Dendi874
qojqva719
Fuzer 262
420jenkins136
Counter-Strike
fl0m538
markeloff87
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1992
crisheroes1368
XaKoH 170
MindelVK1
Other Games
singsing1808
B2W.Neo935
Liquid`VortiX204
Hui .195
ArmadaUGS159
QueenE93
Mew2King75
Trikslyr27
Railgan20
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream103
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Gemini_19 23
• mYiSmile118
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 18
• FirePhoenix8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2164
League of Legends
• Nemesis3014
• Jankos2381
• TFBlade869
Other Games
• WagamamaTV204
• Shiphtur133
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 52m
Stellar Fest
21h 52m
OSC
1d 6h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 18h
Online Event
1d 19h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.