• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:43
CEST 18:43
KST 01:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6371 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 905

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 903 904 905 906 907 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
September 09 2017 08:26 GMT
#18081
Just my opinion, because I am not an iOS or mobile app designer in the slightest, but dynamically populating seems much more flexible and scalable than an "include everything then obscure" approach.

Plus I'm always wary of just visually hiding things people shouldn't have access to. Always feels like there's more margin for mistakes or unintentionally security issues that way, even if it's not.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
sc-darkness
Profile Joined August 2017
856 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-09 11:58:42
September 09 2017 11:57 GMT
#18082
I had an eye test. As usual, they recommend 20-minute break from computers after so many hours (I forgot). Does anyone do that? :D I feel like no employer would say yes to that. Aren't modern monitors good enough?
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 09 2017 12:13 GMT
#18083
On September 09 2017 20:57 sc-darkness wrote:
I had an eye test. As usual, they recommend 20-minute break from computers after so many hours (I forgot). Does anyone do that? :D I feel like no employer would say yes to that. Aren't modern monitors good enough?


Do you have a lunch break lol? Also every 20 min you should focus your eyes on something far away for a minute or so
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
September 09 2017 12:21 GMT
#18084
Never paid any attention to that. I'm one of maybe 3 programmers in my company who don't wear glasses and I seriously don't know why it is so (since at home I'm also spending plenty of time at the computer). Must be the beer...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
September 09 2017 12:51 GMT
#18085
On September 09 2017 20:57 sc-darkness wrote:
I had an eye test. As usual, they recommend 20-minute break from computers after so many hours (I forgot). Does anyone do that? :D I feel like no employer would say yes to that. Aren't modern monitors good enough?


Don't you have any sort of work you can do that doesn't take looking at the monitor?

Also it's probably a good idea anyways. Get up, walk around, stretch, etc.
Isualin
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1903 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-09 13:15:28
September 09 2017 13:14 GMT
#18086
On September 09 2017 20:57 sc-darkness wrote:
I had an eye test. As usual, they recommend 20-minute break from computers after so many hours (I forgot). Does anyone do that? :D I feel like no employer would say yes to that. Aren't modern monitors good enough?

There is a time management technique called Pomodoro which is basically working 25 minutes and a 5 minutes break after that. It has a lot of implementations as apps or websites. As travis said, it is a good idea to take a walk, drink water, talk with a colleague etc
| INnoVation | The literal god TY | ByuNjwa | LRSL when? |
sc-darkness
Profile Joined August 2017
856 Posts
September 10 2017 21:29 GMT
#18087
Yeah, I take a break from time to time to drink something. I just don't think 20-minute break apart from lunch is possible at workplace.

Either way, any successful H1B visa holders here? No one said yes last time.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
September 11 2017 06:23 GMT
#18088
Even if you don't take to take a break, you can just look away from the monitor for a bit.
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
September 11 2017 21:11 GMT
#18089
Just for fun I'll bitch about rails "has_secure_password" setting for the user model. Sure, it does encrypt it (even with Argon2, I did that), but there's so much bullshit about it...

For instance, when you create user model you must pass "password" and "password_confirmation" fields, and they must match. When you update it you also need to pass "current_pussword" (none of them being "encrypted_password" which is actually digested and saved to the db).

When you pass "password_confirmation" as "nil/null" or you don't pass it at all, it turns off all passwrord/confirmation matching validations. WTF?!

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Especially that it's at the very core of the framework and there's plenty of authn/authr libraries that make use of this feature.

I've seen a lot of bullshit in my life, but right now this takes the cake.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
PM_ME_NICE_PUPPERS
Profile Joined September 2017
Pakistan51 Posts
September 12 2017 07:06 GMT
#18090
On September 09 2017 20:57 sc-darkness wrote:
I had an eye test. As usual, they recommend 20-minute break from computers after so many hours (I forgot). Does anyone do that? :D I feel like no employer would say yes to that. Aren't modern monitors good enough?


At SAP, we were allowed to take a morning walk and an afternoon walk around the local park. Staring at screens, sitting down, isn't great for your health, doing so without regular breaks is devastating.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
September 13 2017 02:10 GMT
#18091
The Ethereum blockchain is currently at around 30GB. If you wanted to have it on a phone it would take up most of the storage. What are possible ways to get that size down?

I've been wondering if a "rolling" blockchain is possible, where some computers store only the last X blocks, and the rest store the whole blockchain, but that seems like it might be vulnerable. Is it? Are there better ways?
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Hanh
Profile Joined June 2016
146 Posts
September 14 2017 07:50 GMT
#18092
You can instruct your client software to prune the data which roughly does what you want.
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-14 18:10:14
September 14 2017 17:56 GMT
#18093
Question on OOP and optimization:

The general guidelines with OOP and classes are to keep logic well organized and simple. Objects should generally do no more than one thing. But what if you're building something where optimization is paramount?

For example, suppose you're building a chess engine. Perhaps you might have some logic that calculates all the possible moves for a given piece. If that piece is a rook, the calculation would be a bit different than say a knight. Proper OOP would require something like an abstracted piece class that defines a single interface for calling that logic, and then you would have different instantiated objects that inherit from that piece class that each perform their specific logic based on that piece type.

But rather than having to instantiate new classes just to perform this logic for every new position when you're having to analyzing literally millions of positions as fast as possible, maybe it's better to just use the trusty old case/switch statement and route that logic to a function in a class that's already loaded? Obviously I can do what I want, but just curious what your opinions are. Thanks!
netherh
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom333 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-14 19:23:59
September 14 2017 19:22 GMT
#18094
On September 15 2017 02:56 enigmaticcam wrote:
Question on OOP and optimization:

The general guidelines with OOP and classes are to keep logic well organized and simple. Objects should generally do no more than one thing. But what if you're building something where optimization is paramount?

For example, suppose you're building a chess engine. Perhaps you might have some logic that calculates all the possible moves for a given piece. If that piece is a rook, the calculation would be a bit different than say a knight. Proper OOP would require something like an abstracted piece class that defines a single interface for calling that logic, and then you would have different instantiated objects that inherit from that piece class that each perform their specific logic based on that piece type.

But rather than having to instantiate new classes just to perform this logic for every new position when you're having to analyzing literally millions of positions as fast as possible, maybe it's better to just use the trusty old case/switch statement and route that logic to a function in a class that's already loaded? Obviously I can do what I want, but just curious what your opinions are. Thanks!


[Not too much knowledge about chess engines here, so this is quite speculative...]

But... assuming you need a function for a piece that takes a position and returns the set of possible outcome positions after moving that piece. You could use a "Ruleset" class overloaded for each type of piece, or a set of free functions and a switch statement, whichever is faster (they'd be effectively doing the exact same thing). By "new" and "already loaded" are you referring to dynamic allocation? I don't think you'd need to dynamically allocate inherited classes, as you'd only need one Ruleset instance for each type of piece, not for every piece instance.

You probably don't need an inheritance hierarchy for the Piece class itself. You might not even want an instance of such a class. Just an enum, and some conversion functions (for names, notation, etc.) might do.

In general, I suggest thinking about the specific data you need (coordinates / type of pieces), and what the algorithms do with it. Then think about container types and how to group the data efficiently. At that point you have your objects.

i.e. Don't think: "Well a chess board has pieces on it of different types, so I need a Piece class and an inheritance chain with Pawn, Knight, etc.". Think something like: "my algorithm needs a set of coordinates (int, int), and piece types (enum), that I process in [...] way, and they need to be stored in a [map / vector / list]".
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
September 14 2017 20:19 GMT
#18095
On September 15 2017 04:22 netherh wrote:i.e. Don't think: "Well a chess board has pieces on it of different types, so I need a Piece class and an inheritance chain with Pawn, Knight, etc.". Think something like: "my algorithm needs a set of coordinates (int, int), and piece types (enum), that I process in [...] way, and they need to be stored in a [map / vector / list]".
Ah yes, that's a better way to organize it. Sometimes I get those logical blinders on and it takes a fresh pair of eyes to help me see it from a different perspective. Thank you!
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
September 14 2017 20:28 GMT
#18096
On September 15 2017 02:56 enigmaticcam wrote:
Question on OOP and optimization:

The general guidelines with OOP and classes are to keep logic well organized and simple. Objects should generally do no more than one thing. But what if you're building something where optimization is paramount?

For example, suppose you're building a chess engine. Perhaps you might have some logic that calculates all the possible moves for a given piece. If that piece is a rook, the calculation would be a bit different than say a knight. Proper OOP would require something like an abstracted piece class that defines a single interface for calling that logic, and then you would have different instantiated objects that inherit from that piece class that each perform their specific logic based on that piece type.

But rather than having to instantiate new classes just to perform this logic for every new position when you're having to analyzing literally millions of positions as fast as possible, maybe it's better to just use the trusty old case/switch statement and route that logic to a function in a class that's already loaded? Obviously I can do what I want, but just curious what your opinions are. Thanks!


You're over thinking it. Typically people that use OOP apply it everywhere whether or not it helps. If we're solving some kind of chess optimization problem, OOP probably won't help.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-14 20:31:32
September 14 2017 20:29 GMT
#18097
You will get the most performance in OOP by adopting the DCI (Data Context Interaction) architecture. I'm not sure if you can do that in Java. C#, Scala, Python and Ruby support this in various ways, most commonly traits that you inject into objects during or after instantiation (run time, not compile time) - only when they need them.

Some reading:
https://www.saturnflyer.com/blog/oop-dci-and-ruby-what-your-system-is-vs-what-your-system-does
http://www.artima.com/articles/dci_vision.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/378629/dci-data-context-and-interaction-successor-to-mvc
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
September 15 2017 05:08 GMT
#18098
On September 14 2017 16:50 Hanh wrote:
You can instruct your client software to prune the data which roughly does what you want.

Thank you, that led me in the right direction. It's encouraging to know that a technical problem didn't just ruin what I wanted to do
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
September 15 2017 09:11 GMT
#18099
On September 15 2017 05:29 Manit0u wrote:
You will get the most performance in OOP by adopting the DCI (Data Context Interaction) architecture. I'm not sure if you can do that in Java. C#, Scala, Python and Ruby support this in various ways, most commonly traits that you inject into objects during or after instantiation (run time, not compile time) - only when they need them.

Some reading:
https://www.saturnflyer.com/blog/oop-dci-and-ruby-what-your-system-is-vs-what-your-system-does
http://www.artima.com/articles/dci_vision.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/378629/dci-data-context-and-interaction-successor-to-mvc

Interesting. I've been thinking about concepts like this to fix some really annoying architectural problems at work but I haven't stumbled across DCI yet. Good to know that it's an established pattern. Probably won't be able to apply it large-scale anytime soon, obviously...
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
September 15 2017 09:52 GMT
#18100
I could use a bit of help with regex...

Validating paths is a bitch:


/\A(?:(?!\s)[^\/:*?"<>|\r\n\t\f\v]*(?<![.\s])\/?)+\Z/i


The regex works fine, if not for one tiny little quirk. Matching longer strings results in catastrophic backtracking. Like this one:


my super/Duper/ultra/path/that is not valid.


I know it's caused by the negative look behind, but I don't know how to rectify this
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Prev 1 903 904 905 906 907 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM524
TaKeTV 189
IndyStarCraft 95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1860
RotterdaM 524
ByuN 231
MaxPax 99
IndyStarCraft 95
BRAT_OK 73
UpATreeSC 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3733
Shuttle 881
Stork 372
Mini 324
Rush 298
EffOrt 294
Horang2 244
actioN 240
Mind 155
Mong 110
[ Show more ]
910 82
hero 64
Zeus 63
Dewaltoss 62
Snow 54
Barracks 49
Shinee 46
JYJ 37
sorry 29
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 23
HiyA 23
Killer 19
Terrorterran 17
Sexy 15
zelot 10
Sacsri 9
scan(afreeca) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5779
qojqva2637
Counter-Strike
fl0m4518
Fnx 690
Other Games
singsing2359
Beastyqt599
ceh9480
Hui .220
XaKoH 154
Trikslyr73
QueenE51
Chillindude24
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 17m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 17m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 17m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.