• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:49
CEST 01:49
KST 08:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7985 users

2010 - What are you Reading? - Page 18

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 38 Next All
neohero9
Profile Joined May 2010
United States595 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 06:45:25
July 22 2010 06:43 GMT
#341
On July 08 2010 17:41 shmay wrote:
Just read:
[image loading]
A bit ranty and heavy on the feminist politics, but contains some good points, particularly about the destructive nature of agriculture and necessity of animals to sustain the ecosystem


Being a vegetarian transitioning to vegan I was intrigued at this book, and decided to do a little research. This is the first thing that came up:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3M4LC3USB5H3S/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

And a bit further down:

http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/myths-of-the-vegetarian-myth/

A little "food for thought", as it were, before swallowing the book whole.
I cannot stand ignorance or dismissiveness. I edit every post I make-- I've edited this sig three times in an hour.
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
July 22 2010 06:53 GMT
#342
On July 07 2010 08:34 Wihl wrote:
[image loading]

The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with ancient and implacable sorcerers. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins.

For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, their lone surviving mage, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities, yet holds out. It is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.

However, the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand . . .

Conceived and written on a panoramic scale, Gardens of the Moon is epic fantasy of the highest order--an enthralling adventure by an outstanding voice.

---------------------------------------------------------

Read it once before but that was years ago. This time I'm reading the entire series and i figured I'd start from the beginning.



Fantastic choice. Greatest fantasy series ever written, IMO. It's on book 9 (of a total of 10) at the moment and I have to say it's getting a bit bogged down but still far and away the best fantasy.
BabyFarkMcgeeZax
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada47 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 07:35:38
July 22 2010 06:56 GMT
#343
Last read:
This was such a fun read I'm thinking of reading it again soon.
[image loading]

A lot of information in this book. Stephen Hawkins has a difficult time simplifying anything when it comes to complicated subjects. That is why "A brief history of time" also has a sister book called "A Briefer History of Time". Additionally, he helped with "The Illustrated Brief History of Time" because people found images helped explain Stephen Hawkins writings a little bit better. Its the same as the original, just with some illustrations. "Universe in a Nutshell" is really good as well. Same style of writing.
[image loading]

This is a very well made, illustrated book. Highly detailed. Touches on so many things in the Astronomy and physics fields.
[image loading]

This one is a doozy. Its all about quantum physics. He talks about a lot of cool theories.
[image loading]

On June 29 2010 23:53 zizou21 wrote:
take it easy HnR)hT, i don't think this thread is for literary criticism. i kind of see this thread as a substitute for browsing a bookstore and looking at interesting covers for prospective reading material. I'd rather browse through book covers in this thread that have been selected by mostly competitive SC players than having to go through every book filled with time-wasting garbage in the bookstore. Usually if there is a good book ppl will quote and state their opinions..also it lets me know of new releases i haven't heard of :p
But yes i agree it is pretty lame when people post their assigned school readings :[ but not much we can do about that, can we ?

I think you're in the wrong place man D:


I agree with you. I'm scrolling through this topic, and saving the pics of the books that I might want to read. Its not like I'm getting a lot of detail about the book, but I can do the research myself later.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. yrtlmafdwnd
exeexe
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark937 Posts
July 22 2010 09:18 GMT
#344
On July 07 2010 08:58 GoTuNk! wrote:
Gonna start after my last exam.

[image loading]


Did you finnish it and do you like it if you have finnished it?
And never forget, its always easier to throw a bomb downstairs than up. - George Orwell
SkyTheUnknown
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany2065 Posts
July 22 2010 10:22 GMT
#345
The ending of "For whom the Bell tolls" ist just so good. And yeah Blood Meridian is highly recommended, but it's extremely violent and puts some distance between the reader and the protagonists, so it might not be a good book for everyone. Nevertheless it's brilliantly written, the best writing style I have ever read.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown - H.P. Lovecraft
Pull
Profile Joined April 2010
United States308 Posts
July 22 2010 10:24 GMT
#346
[image loading]

Was a birthday present :D
Co-Creator of the FRB Grand Tournament...Check out my epic commentaries at YouTube.com/pullsc and twitch.tv/pullsc ESPORTS FIGHTING!
TymerA
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands759 Posts
July 22 2010 11:03 GMT
#347
On July 22 2010 15:56 BabyFarkMcgeeZax wrote:
Last read:
This was such a fun read I'm thinking of reading it again soon.
[image loading]



Ah i really want to read that book D:
nice.
TymerA
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands759 Posts
July 22 2010 11:04 GMT
#348
On July 22 2010 15:56 BabyFarkMcgeeZax wrote:
Last read:
This was such a fun read I'm thinking of reading it again soon.
[image loading]


I really want to read that book! D:
nice.
Kalpman
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden406 Posts
July 22 2010 12:31 GMT
#349
[image loading]
Third book in the Wheel of Time series, started reading them in english now for a change. Think I made it to the sixth or seventh book in swedish...

Just recently read book 1:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



And book 2:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 12:59:07
July 22 2010 12:50 GMT
#350
On July 08 2010 10:26 zergpower314 wrote:
Required for school:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Hopefully reading it required doesn't ruin it. That's the 2nd best book I've ever read.

What I'm reading now:
[image loading]

I'm only on the third page, so I haven't gotten into it, I have high expectations though, since HST's reporting style is like an encompassing wave of truth that grips you and pulls you right into the events, unlike anything you read from anyone else.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
July 23 2010 09:30 GMT
#351
[image loading]

My friend has told me to read For Whom the Bell Tolls next. Anyone recommend that too? I've never read any Hemingway before.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
July 23 2010 09:42 GMT
#352
On July 23 2010 18:30 DannyJ wrote:
[image loading]

My friend has told me to read For Whom the Bell Tolls next. Anyone recommend that too? I've never read any Hemingway before.


I'd go for it, I haven't read it but from what I've heard it's very good. I really, really liked The Sun Also Rises by him.

Also, Dostoevsky is awesome.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
serenidite
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)505 Posts
July 23 2010 10:16 GMT
#353
the god delusion is amazing <3
" Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Mr_LOL
Profile Joined July 2010
Israel21 Posts
July 24 2010 04:33 GMT
#354
[image loading]
[image loading]
littlechava
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States7221 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 06:52:38
July 24 2010 06:39 GMT
#355
On June 30 2010 02:31 Azerbaijan wrote:
[image loading]

One of the best books I have ever read. If you want to run and be healthy but have trouble finding motivation or staying consistent Read This Book.

Didn't know this book existed. Sounds great, and I'm impressed a popular writer has written about the Tarahumara!
Azerbaijan/anyone else interested:
Check out chapter three (Walking and Running in the Sierra Tarahumara) of this festschrift. The chapter offers a more general perspective about long distance running in a broader region of North America during prehistory. Amazing stuff!
edit: This also reminded me of a link I found on JWD's blog a while back, an article about a Slovenian ultramarathon rider that goes into the boundaries of human endurance: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all
Entusman #12
TriniMasta
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1323 Posts
July 24 2010 06:40 GMT
#356
On April 14 2010 09:01 ILIVEFORAIUR wrote:
[image loading]

What I need to be reading...

dam where can I get it on amazon/ebay/barnes&N?
xD
정명훈 FIGHTING!!! Play both T and P.
NVIDIAMOUSE
Profile Joined May 2006
United States28 Posts
July 24 2010 07:02 GMT
#357
These books (in the spoiler) were the books i read while i was in jail for about 30 days (i just got out).
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]



These books are what I'm currently reading:
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Also read somewhat recently two books by my grandfather William R. Dunn,
[image loading]

and War Drum Echoes which I can't find a picture of online. Old book about the cheyenne and arapaho and other colorado tribes, their warfare and way of life during the civil war. He adopted my mom who is cheyenne arapaho and i'm her son obviously. He was also the first ace pilot of WW2, just a little info! :/
EpiK
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5757 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-24 07:17:27
July 24 2010 07:07 GMT
#358
great starter book for C++
[image loading]

btw, any recommendations for some good thriller/mystery novels?
littlechava
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States7221 Posts
July 24 2010 07:10 GMT
#359
On July 24 2010 16:02 NVIDIAMOUSE wrote:
These books (in the spoiler) were the books i read while i was in jail for about 30 days (i just got out).
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]



These books are what I'm currently reading:
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Also read somewhat recently two books by my grandfather William R. Dunn,
[image loading]

and War Drum Echoes which I can't find a picture of online. Old book about the cheyenne and arapaho and other colorado tribes, their warfare and way of life during the civil war. He adopted my mom who is cheyenne arapaho and i'm her son obviously. He was also the first ace pilot of WW2, just a little info! :/
How was Lewis Black's book? Good? I really like him as a comedian, and if he's a satisfactory author I'd love to buy his book.
Entusman #12
NVIDIAMOUSE
Profile Joined May 2006
United States28 Posts
July 24 2010 07:57 GMT
#360
It sucks, I find him funny on the daily show and as a commentator, not as a stand up comedian. His book so far (im about 1/3 through) is exactly like his normal banter which lacks his physical comedy obviously, and the substance of the book is lousy with nothing informative about atheism or religion or what not.
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 213
Nina 123
SpeCial 122
ViBE91
Nathanias 68
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11904
Artosis 632
Rain 620
GuemChi 413
Bale 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever346
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox797
Mew2King108
Other Games
summit1g6569
Liquid`RaSZi2378
Grubby2167
shahzam687
WinterStarcraft446
JimRising 355
C9.Mang0325
Trikslyr46
JuggernautJason10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick567
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• musti20045 24
• davetesta6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 12m
INu's Battles
11h 12m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
13h 12m
OSC
22h 27m
Replay Cast
23h 12m
OSC
1d 23h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.