• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:25
CEST 10:25
KST 17:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11242 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 27

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 75 Next
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 07 2011 18:33 GMT
#521
On June 08 2011 03:30 PeadSmile wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2011 03:25 ChinaWhite wrote:
^^ I like this one, i didn't know they did that :-)

Question - after my last goblin invasion I'm left with literally hundreds of iron bolts stren all over the country side - is there an easy way to claim them all back?


hit d - b and then paint the area you want your dwarves to pick up items.


I believe it's dbc, but yeah d-b takes you to the option to do orders like mass dumping, claiming, and forbidding. Very useful for clearing your fort of loose rock among other things.
Logo
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 07 2011 18:37 GMT
#522
"Reclaim" is the default. Do you don't have to hit c, but you can if you want :p

d-b and then highlight the whole map. Dwarves will bring back bolts and god knows what else! :p
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 07 2011 18:38 GMT
#523
[image loading]
The out-side area of my current largest fortress. Several somethings died horribly on the stairway entrance. The tower goes up a few more levels and has a platform for marksdorfs to shoot stuff from. Also a catapult cause, well, why not?

[image loading]
Every Dorf gets his/her own room! Two levels of this stretching across the map! Luxury dorf apartments, starting cheap! Invest today!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 07 2011 18:59 GMT
#524
On June 08 2011 03:25 ChinaWhite wrote:
^^ I like this one, i didn't know they did that :-)

Question - after my last goblin invasion I'm left with literally hundreds of iron bolts stren all over the country side - is there an easy way to claim them all back?

Better yet, click 'z' to enter your fort overview thing, then find the ammunition area. Remove the Forbidden tag on all ammo here, and there you go.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
ChinaWhite
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom239 Posts
June 07 2011 19:14 GMT
#525
^^ both methods work great, thanks guys.

That fort looks nice, I dont normally bother with much above grounds stuff, gonna have to start looking into it.
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 07 2011 19:23 GMT
#526
I'm desperately trying to build a perimeter around my fortress entrance. Hahaha. Fucking skeletal everythings everywhere constantly eating my doods.

Four more dwarves have died, but a big migration wave brought me back up. 15 dwarves total!!

Also my two miners married (awww) and two of my peasants.

Custom job titles ftw. I have like 60 of them XD. Also Haemonculus I'm glad I'm not the only one that builds my dwarves nice apartments, haha.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-07 19:28:21
June 07 2011 19:25 GMT
#527
OH GOD

Ghostly peasants why~!!!!

16 dwarf migration, over doubles my populations XD
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 07 2011 19:29 GMT
#528
On June 08 2011 04:23 Torenhire wrote:
I'm desperately trying to build a perimeter around my fortress entrance. Hahaha. Fucking skeletal everythings everywhere constantly eating my doods.

Four more dwarves have died, but a big migration wave brought me back up. 15 dwarves total!!

Also my two miners married (awww) and two of my peasants.

Custom job titles ftw. I have like 60 of them XD. Also Haemonculus I'm glad I'm not the only one that builds my dwarves nice apartments, haha.


Yeah that's nice and all but you gotta be careful when dwarven economy kicks in though =/.
Logo
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 07 2011 19:34 GMT
#529
On June 08 2011 04:29 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2011 04:23 Torenhire wrote:
I'm desperately trying to build a perimeter around my fortress entrance. Hahaha. Fucking skeletal everythings everywhere constantly eating my doods.

Four more dwarves have died, but a big migration wave brought me back up. 15 dwarves total!!

Also my two miners married (awww) and two of my peasants.

Custom job titles ftw. I have like 60 of them XD. Also Haemonculus I'm glad I'm not the only one that builds my dwarves nice apartments, haha.


Yeah that's nice and all but you gotta be careful when dwarven economy kicks in though =/.


The current version has the economy disabled, IIRC.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 07 2011 19:35 GMT
#530
Just learned a valuable lesson.

My usual method of dealing with monsters, (selecting all army dorfs and telling them to kill it), does not work well with creatures that have fire or a breath attack.

I think about 30 dorfs just died... in a fire... lol
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
June 07 2011 19:43 GMT
#531
Just got into Dwarf Fortress, watched some tutorials and set up the basics (some workshops, a farm, sleeping/eating room), what should I focus on next? There is so much in this game that it's unclear to me as to what to do haha.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-07 19:54:55
June 07 2011 19:51 GMT
#532
On June 08 2011 04:43 Scipaeus121212 wrote:
Just got into Dwarf Fortress, watched some tutorials and set up the basics (some workshops, a farm, sleeping/eating room), what should I focus on next? There is so much in this game that it's unclear to me as to what to do haha.


Just naturally grow out from there really. There are a couple of goals you can do and I'd pick and choose what seems like you want to learn next + what's useful and possible:

1. Setup an involved food industry. Rather than just farming food and eating it raw, get a farm -> process/milling plants -> brewing/cooking plants process going.
1b. Likewise a clothing industry if you have access to pig tails or rope reeds (plants that produce thread)
1c. Some other food related industries you can look into are beekeeping, livestock -> breeding -> shearing/milking/butchering
2. A metal industry of wood -> charcoal (at wood furnace) -> melt ore (smelter) -> make metal item (forge)
3. Setup and train a military
3b. Setup an archery range
4. Setup a hospital
5. Dig, explore, expand
6. Other industries (glassmaking, pottery, jewelry)
7. Wait for more dwarves
8. Wait for FUN

DF tends to have the sort of flow where you start out with very basic and general industries and processes, but if you want to keep your fort running smoothly and production going well you'll need to start specializing dwarves more and more as well as expanding your industries to take advantage of all the stuff DF has to offer (like preparing meals vs eating raw food).
Logo
shackes
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany148 Posts
June 07 2011 19:54 GMT
#533
On June 08 2011 04:43 Scipaeus121212 wrote:
Just got into Dwarf Fortress, watched some tutorials and set up the basics (some workshops, a farm, sleeping/eating room), what should I focus on next? There is so much in this game that it's unclear to me as to what to do haha.


I'd suggest traps if you want to survive the first goblin sieges.
Stone fall traps are the easiest to build and cage traps are most effective.
Maybe add a drawbridge.
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
June 07 2011 19:57 GMT
#534
So I've never really played around with machinery. I've gotten good at setting up flood-rooms, but they're usually a one-time thing.

I just built a windmill outside. How do I attach it to something?
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
PeadSmile
Profile Joined April 2011
43 Posts
June 07 2011 20:06 GMT
#535
On June 08 2011 04:57 Haemonculus wrote:
So I've never really played around with machinery. I've gotten good at setting up flood-rooms, but they're usually a one-time thing.

I just built a windmill outside. How do I attach it to something?


There is something you attach a gear or axle to directly under the windmill.
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
June 07 2011 20:08 GMT
#536
Thanks for the help! Also, I built all my workshops outside the cave, should I relocate them in to be more safe? Or should I build some sort of fort outside my cave to have some safe space outside the cave?
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 07 2011 20:16 GMT
#537
On June 08 2011 05:08 Scipaeus121212 wrote:
Thanks for the help! Also, I built all my workshops outside the cave, should I relocate them in to be more safe? Or should I build some sort of fort outside my cave to have some safe space outside the cave?


Your choice, but inside you can avoid rain & snow and danger. I wouldn't recommend forcing your dwarves outside to work, but you certainly can do it if you want.
Logo
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-07 20:32:03
June 07 2011 20:19 GMT
#538
Omg i just had a fort with 80 dwarves when i accountered LOADS OF FUN. I didnt had a good military yet and was sieged. Long story short goblins running around my fortress and killing everything

Edit: i just found out my militairy is sleeping:|

btw what is a good measure to prevent your other dwarves running all over the place? in the previous version i could just order them inside but that dissapeared for some reason:\

The devestation:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
Torenhire
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States11681 Posts
June 07 2011 20:31 GMT
#539
[image loading]

Ghetto walls, VICTORYYYY

Open space = bridge. Plus my tunnels are trapped to hell.

I can't believe I survived this haha.
SirJolt: Well maybe if you weren't so big and stupid, it wouldn't have hit you.
Hoosegow
Profile Joined August 2010
United States139 Posts
June 07 2011 21:19 GMT
#540
On June 08 2011 05:19 Vain wrote:
Omg i just had a fort with 80 dwarves when i accountered LOADS OF FUN. I didnt had a good military yet and was sieged. Long story short goblins running around my fortress and killing everything

Edit: i just found out my militairy is sleeping:|

btw what is a good measure to prevent your other dwarves running all over the place? in the previous version i could just order them inside but that dissapeared for some reason:\

The devestation:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


You have to combine burrows and scheduling. You can find this here

I share your pain. I had my first fortress over 100 population and I was feeling good. My four full squads of steel-clad soldiers had just destroyed a siege without a single casualty... Not the next one though. A vile force of darkness indeed! A combined force of goblins/trolls/olms over 60 strong crashed through my soldiers, war dogs, and then civilians like a frothy ocean wave sweeping away the last vestiges of a child's sand castle.

:c

For some reason the invaders never traveled down to my magma smelting/forging operations, so I tried to just have them mind their own business, as the trolls and goblins seemed content with raping and pillaging my bustling chicken breeding grounds. Unfortunately the underfort community lacked a renewable food source, so (naturally) one of the smiths went on a berserk punching spree before the inevitable end.

...
...
.....
This game is amazing.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 106
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 1070
Larva 524
ggaemo 367
Stork 278
Leta 183
PianO 132
Killer 37
Hyuk 29
Bale 26
ZergMaN 20
[ Show more ]
yabsab 18
League of Legends
JimRising 378
Reynor93
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1094
Other Games
summit1g10380
C9.Mang0247
Sick189
Mew2King165
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick559
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream186
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2326
League of Legends
• Stunt1656
• Jankos777
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
1h 35m
Online Event
2h 35m
FEL
7h 35m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.