• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:27
CEST 17:27
KST 00:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20266Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10818 users

Guardians of Atlas - Page 6

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 63 Next
Development ended, game appears to be dead.
https://forums.artillery.com/discussion/911/end-of-development
-Jinro
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-23 18:42:18
August 23 2014 17:58 GMT
#101
I think Day9 is a bit of here by arguing that it's fear that are causing player to not attack. In this way he is trying to make it appear as if it's just irrationalty, and that a "psychological" fix that reduces the absolutel values of the rewards and the risks will incentivize more action.

So let's say that without the respawn mechanic, the reward for attacking = 100, the cost of attacking = 20. Ratio = 0.2 Now with the respawn mechanic, the ratio of 0.2 will be maintained, but the values will be reduced to 50 and 10.

So the incentivize itself hasn't actually been changed, but the volatility of the gameplay has been, which makes it less likely that it will be one battle and gg.

However, from my experience, you only wanna change the absolute values of risk and rewards based on the phase of the game. For instance, you want low values in the early games of SC2 as players are very vulnernable in this phase of the game.
As game progresses, the "one battle and GG" is much more likely to be attributed to:

1) Snowball-based unit designs. For instance medivac healing can easily snowball.
2) But punishment for small misclikcs (EMP/ Psy Storm/clumping up slightly vs collosus).
3) Assymetrical productio nmechanics, that makes one race rebuild a ton easier.
4) Lack of defenders advantage to fall back on

So I don't agree that you actually need to make artifical rewards to get rid of one-battle and GG syndrome. I believe it can be fixed in much cleaner ways.

However, that wasn't the argument Day9 brought up. Rather, he stated that he believe it will create more action, but the whole psychologicla phenoemna is just nosnense once the game gets figured out. Instead, you have to A) Give players the incentivize to attack. B) Give them the tools to start engagements. C) Create escape-mechanics that allows palyers that are about to lose the battle, to live and fight another day.

With these changes, the "reward"-value will be unchanged, but the "risk" will be significantly reduced, and thus my suggested approach is a fundamental incentivize to reward more battles, while Day9's approach can only "fix" it if players act irratioanlly.

So I want to precise what I mean by tools, because there are multiple approaches you can take here. But one element is how the Collosus in Sc2 is a "tool"-killer as bio-play can't really engage against a Collosus-compostion without fully commiting due to the range of the Collosus. It can't make small pokes as it can vs Zealot/HT or Zerg, which stales the game quite a bit.

Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-23 18:42:06
August 23 2014 18:40 GMT
#102
Ok, I think I just figured out the counter-argument to my post above.

If we assume that there can be certain strategical/tactical advantages of winning a fight, but no (or lower) tactical disadvantages of losing the fight, and that the value of the tactical advantage is unrelated to the respawn-mechanic, the risk/reward ratio can actually change.

Let me show an example to demonstrate why that's the case.

Assumptions:
- Defenders advantage exists
- Aggressor stronger army
--> Probability of winning battle vs losing losing = 50/50

Without respawn

- Average cost unit efficiency after winning a battle = +10
- Average cost unit efficiency after losing a battle = -20
- Tactical advantage of winning battle = 7.5

Average outcome of engaging = -20*0.5 + 10 * 0.5 + 7.5*0.5 = -1.25

With respawn (of 50% for simplicity here)

- Average cost unit efficiency after winning a battle = +5
- Average cost unit efficiency after losing a battle = -10
- Tactical advantage of winning battle = 7.5

Average outcome of engaging = -10*0.5 + 5 * 0.5 + 7.5*0.5 = 1.25

Thus, the respawn mechanic can actually incentivize engagements. Nevertheless, I am curious to see whether Day9 repsonds to my inital comment that I posted to his blog. If he can figure it out as well, he definitely has my trust as a game-designer going forward.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
August 23 2014 19:41 GMT
#103
I'm just worried that it will be viable to kill off your own units so that you can better counter your opponent's army (which mind you can be created instantly due to instant build times). Or that you're supposed to kill off army surpluses after the fight so that you can invest into tech or economy for a long-term advantage.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
TheScriptan
Profile Joined June 2014
Lithuania152 Posts
November 29 2014 23:01 GMT
#104
Haven't heard any news about this game? Could someone confirm that the game is not dead and it's not going to be discounted???
omahahowitzer
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States98 Posts
November 29 2014 23:12 GMT
#105
It's still alive, I know people still working on it but no other information right now
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-08 19:10:56
January 08 2015 19:07 GMT
#106
No idea whether or not this is news, but apparently beta testing is supposed to start december 2015:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED?

Atlas will begin public beta testing in December of 2015.

https://www.artillery.com/atlas

I personally really really want this to be a success. Blizzard needs some competition/inspiration! And if its good and Blizzard changes nothing, I got a new game to play.
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-08 21:21:56
January 08 2015 21:21 GMT
#107
Why they need so much time lol. I hope the size and quality of the game is worth it.
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
January 08 2015 21:43 GMT
#108
Well if they release in 2016 they'd still be in the 3-year development cycle wouldn't they? Seems pretty standard considering they are also building publically available development tools and are using a new technology on top of that!
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-30 10:52:13
March 30 2015 10:51 GMT
#109
Early in this thread there was some back-and-forth debate about the value of setting a game within a browser.

It appears Artillery are wavering somewhat on their previous mission to put a game in a browser.

"WILL IT RUN IN THE BROWSER?

It's highly likely that Atlas will be able to run in the browser without plugins. However, should browsers be unable to deliver a rich enough experience, Atlas will be distributed as a standalone desktop application."

https://www.artillery.com/atlas

i wonder if its the floating point math differences between browsers and machines that is causing desyncs

if they get this puppy out the door without dropping a compiled EXE on your machine i'll be pleasantly surprised.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
March 30 2015 13:45 GMT
#110
On March 30 2015 19:51 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Early in this thread there was some back-and-forth debate about the value of setting a game within a browser.

It appears Artillery are wavering somewhat on their previous mission to put a game in a browser.

"WILL IT RUN IN THE BROWSER?

It's highly likely that Atlas will be able to run in the browser without plugins. However, should browsers be unable to deliver a rich enough experience, Atlas will be distributed as a standalone desktop application."

https://www.artillery.com/atlas

i wonder if its the floating point math differences between browsers and machines that is causing desyncs

if they get this puppy out the door without dropping a compiled EXE on your machine i'll be pleasantly surprised.

Is that new information? The game is currently playable-ish on at least several browsers, and being browser-only is the main concept behind the game, so I don't know why they would consider wavering on it.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Magggrig
Profile Joined January 2014
56 Posts
April 03 2015 16:20 GMT
#111
The video says beta in 2013
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17915 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-09-14 16:59:34
September 14 2015 16:58 GMT
#112
On March 30 2015 22:45 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2015 19:51 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Early in this thread there was some back-and-forth debate about the value of setting a game within a browser.

It appears Artillery are wavering somewhat on their previous mission to put a game in a browser.

"WILL IT RUN IN THE BROWSER?

It's highly likely that Atlas will be able to run in the browser without plugins. However, should browsers be unable to deliver a rich enough experience, Atlas will be distributed as a standalone desktop application."

https://www.artillery.com/atlas

i wonder if its the floating point math differences between browsers and machines that is causing desyncs

if they get this puppy out the door without dropping a compiled EXE on your machine i'll be pleasantly surprised.

Is that new information? The game is currently playable-ish on at least several browsers, and being browser-only is the main concept behind the game, so I don't know why they would consider wavering on it.


ya, so much for their game working on a browser.
i'm not the type of guy to say i told you so... but .. ummm .. i ummm. told you so.

http://blog.artillery.com/2015/09/artillery-native-game-client.html

also, if u signed up for the beta for this game you need to sign up again.




Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
September 14 2015 20:55 GMT
#113
I actually have more faith in this game than in LOTV, funny how this works isn't it
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Fuchsteufelswild
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2028 Posts
September 15 2015 00:44 GMT
#114
Thanks for the notification, I think I'll sign up now that I realise there's a chance to again. I thought I'd simply missed out previously.
That original promo video seems pretty embarrassing to me though.

"Basic animations, basic animations WHOA GUYS LOOK AT THE ONE FANCY THING basic animations show a bit of the editor, whhOOAO ROTATE CAMERA AROUND THE ONE FANCY THING GUYS LOOK IT'S A SINGLE FANCY THING PLEASE BE IMPRESSED!!!"
^__^"
ZerO - FantaSy - Calm - Nal_rA - Jaedong - NaDa - EffOrt - Bisu - by.hero - StarDust - Welmu - Nerchio - Supernova - Solar - Squirtle - LosirA - Grubby - IntoTheRainbow - Golden... ~~~ Incredible Miracle and Woongjin Stars 화이팅!
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-01 17:17:23
October 01 2015 17:10 GMT
#115
Day9 posted a blog about a few of their design choices on the official Atlas webpage.
http://blog.artillery.com/2015/10/atlas-design-update.html

Interestingly enough we just had a discussion about Day9's game design qualifications in a LotV Feedback thread. There are some interesting ideas in the article. Some things remind me of Total War Arena but I think I'm just imagining them wrong. It's definitely worth reading.

In the blog he mentions he frequently talks about Atlas in his shows. Anyone know specific VODs? I don't follow Day9 anymore so no idea where I should look.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 01 2015 17:19 GMT
#116
On October 02 2015 02:10 KeksX wrote:
Day9 posted a blog about a few of their design choices on the official Atlas webpage.
http://blog.artillery.com/2015/10/atlas-design-update.html

Interestingly enough we just had a discussion about Day9's game design qualifications in a LotV Feedback thread. There are some interesting ideas in the article. Some things remind me of Total War Arena but I think I'm just imagining them wrong. It's definitely worth reading.

In the blog he mentions he frequently talks about Atlas in his shows. Anyone know specific VODs? I don't follow Day9 anymore so no idea where I should look.

He talks about it quite frequently, but tbh i think this blog covers most things which are known iirc (i don't watch every single stream though tbh)
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
October 01 2015 17:22 GMT
#117
On October 02 2015 02:19 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2015 02:10 KeksX wrote:
Day9 posted a blog about a few of their design choices on the official Atlas webpage.
http://blog.artillery.com/2015/10/atlas-design-update.html

Interestingly enough we just had a discussion about Day9's game design qualifications in a LotV Feedback thread. There are some interesting ideas in the article. Some things remind me of Total War Arena but I think I'm just imagining them wrong. It's definitely worth reading.

In the blog he mentions he frequently talks about Atlas in his shows. Anyone know specific VODs? I don't follow Day9 anymore so no idea where I should look.

He talks about it quite frequently, but tbh i think this blog covers most things which are known iirc (i don't watch every single stream though tbh)


I see. Well I'm looking forward to seeing more, it definitely sounds interesting what they came up with(and the fact that people like qxc/sasquatch are playtesters is great, too).
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 01 2015 17:26 GMT
#118
On October 02 2015 02:22 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2015 02:19 The_Red_Viper wrote:
On October 02 2015 02:10 KeksX wrote:
Day9 posted a blog about a few of their design choices on the official Atlas webpage.
http://blog.artillery.com/2015/10/atlas-design-update.html

Interestingly enough we just had a discussion about Day9's game design qualifications in a LotV Feedback thread. There are some interesting ideas in the article. Some things remind me of Total War Arena but I think I'm just imagining them wrong. It's definitely worth reading.

In the blog he mentions he frequently talks about Atlas in his shows. Anyone know specific VODs? I don't follow Day9 anymore so no idea where I should look.

He talks about it quite frequently, but tbh i think this blog covers most things which are known iirc (i don't watch every single stream though tbh)


I see. Well I'm looking forward to seeing more, it definitely sounds interesting what they came up with(and the fact that people like qxc/sasquatch are playtesters is great, too).

I hope i get into the december beta test haha.
While i prefer sc2 style gameplay, i think this might be a lot of fun as well if the implementation of these ideas is good enough.
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-01 17:35:49
October 01 2015 17:35 GMT
#119
On October 02 2015 02:26 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2015 02:22 KeksX wrote:
On October 02 2015 02:19 The_Red_Viper wrote:
On October 02 2015 02:10 KeksX wrote:
Day9 posted a blog about a few of their design choices on the official Atlas webpage.
http://blog.artillery.com/2015/10/atlas-design-update.html

Interestingly enough we just had a discussion about Day9's game design qualifications in a LotV Feedback thread. There are some interesting ideas in the article. Some things remind me of Total War Arena but I think I'm just imagining them wrong. It's definitely worth reading.

In the blog he mentions he frequently talks about Atlas in his shows. Anyone know specific VODs? I don't follow Day9 anymore so no idea where I should look.

He talks about it quite frequently, but tbh i think this blog covers most things which are known iirc (i don't watch every single stream though tbh)


I see. Well I'm looking forward to seeing more, it definitely sounds interesting what they came up with(and the fact that people like qxc/sasquatch are playtesters is great, too).

I hope i get into the december beta test haha.
While i prefer sc2 style gameplay, i think this might be a lot of fun as well if the implementation of these ideas is good enough.


Yup I hope I get in too, I remember I signed up for it really early so I hope that helps.

I'm really skeptical about the game as I said in that feedback thread, but those are some very interesting concepts and if they can pull it off it might actually be solid competition and innovation in the RTS market.

I'm just wondering how strong their focus on competetiveness is. A fun RTS is not necessarily a competetive one( see C&C).
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 01 2015 17:54 GMT
#120
Well the concept of objective based gameplay alone makes it pretty competetive imo. At least if the balance is good enough
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 306
OGKoka 287
Codebar 47
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40117
Calm 3924
Shuttle 2067
Bisu 1613
FanTaSy 1510
Mini 1031
Soma 674
Rush 569
EffOrt 499
Stork 335
[ Show more ]
Light 283
Hyuk 254
Snow 248
actioN 230
firebathero 214
ZerO 203
Dewaltoss 96
Zeus 89
Barracks 80
hero 73
Shinee 48
Killer 45
Pusan 38
Hyun 37
ToSsGirL 33
Sharp 33
Bale 29
Free 24
Shine 21
Aegong 18
PianO 18
HiyA 18
sorry 15
zelot 15
yabsab 13
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc9017
Dendi1177
League of Legends
KnowMe36
Counter-Strike
x6flipin268
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes570
Lowko366
Other Games
singsing2244
hiko1591
B2W.Neo366
byalli264
Livibee185
Liquid`VortiX178
mouzStarbuck172
Hui .169
Beastyqt72
Trikslyr62
Mew2King61
Rex25
RotterdaM23
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV261
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 51
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV210
League of Legends
• Nemesis2655
Other Games
• Shiphtur473
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 48m
Replay Cast
7h 33m
OSC
1d 7h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 18h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.