• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:36
CEST 11:36
KST 18:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10361 users

[RPG] Dragon Age 2 - Page 10

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
I_Love_Bacon
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5765 Posts
April 10 2011 01:26 GMT
#181
On April 10 2011 09:52 Xeteh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 31 2011 04:08 PrinceXizor wrote:
On March 31 2011 03:59 AlexDeLarge wrote:
I bought this game with pre-order.. but thanks to reading all these reviews i basically lost all interest in playing it.. especially since i loved DA1 and don't want that experience ruined for me. Can someone give me some very good reasons why i should play it and finish it? (p.s. i play all games on hardest difficulty, and i read that DA2 on nightmare is a dull grindfest)



The game has a ton of hidden elements that are pretty difficult to find.

DA2 is way more emmersive than DA1 to me.

Your actions in DA1 directly affect your game in DA2.


DA2 is pretty awesome to play through because of the timespan of the game, your actions have serious concequences it's not just, Oh hey let me help you kill this guy, and then everything is cool 10 years later, despite your barging into his house and stabbing the guy in the chest a few times in front of his 10 year old kid.

IN DA2 if that happened you would end up facing an extremely pissed off single minded teenager hunting you down in a few years.

The game is so awesome. It's seriously best if you don't go completionist. Just do the quests that your character would do and alter the world greatly.


We apparently played a different DA2. Literally no choice you make bears any consequence. Any big choice that you think might expect the storyline doesn't matter. If you decide to + Show Spoiler +
Take your sister with you to the Deep Roads. She dies. If you decide to leave her behind. She dies.
Your actions affect nothing beyond a different dialogue to the exact same conclusion.


Your spoilers are incorrect. However, I do disagree with his overall sentiment that DA1's actions didn't influence the game as much. I would argue the opposite.
" i havent been playin sc2 but i woke up w/ a boner and i really had to pee... and my crisis management and micro was really something to behold. it inspired me to play some games today" -Liquid'Tyler
Xeteh
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States589 Posts
April 10 2011 01:46 GMT
#182
On April 10 2011 10:26 I_Love_Bacon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 09:52 Xeteh wrote:
On March 31 2011 04:08 PrinceXizor wrote:
On March 31 2011 03:59 AlexDeLarge wrote:
I bought this game with pre-order.. but thanks to reading all these reviews i basically lost all interest in playing it.. especially since i loved DA1 and don't want that experience ruined for me. Can someone give me some very good reasons why i should play it and finish it? (p.s. i play all games on hardest difficulty, and i read that DA2 on nightmare is a dull grindfest)



The game has a ton of hidden elements that are pretty difficult to find.

DA2 is way more emmersive than DA1 to me.

Your actions in DA1 directly affect your game in DA2.


DA2 is pretty awesome to play through because of the timespan of the game, your actions have serious concequences it's not just, Oh hey let me help you kill this guy, and then everything is cool 10 years later, despite your barging into his house and stabbing the guy in the chest a few times in front of his 10 year old kid.

IN DA2 if that happened you would end up facing an extremely pissed off single minded teenager hunting you down in a few years.

The game is so awesome. It's seriously best if you don't go completionist. Just do the quests that your character would do and alter the world greatly.


We apparently played a different DA2. Literally no choice you make bears any consequence. Any big choice that you think might expect the storyline doesn't matter. If you decide to + Show Spoiler +
Take your sister with you to the Deep Roads. She dies. If you decide to leave her behind. She dies.
Your actions affect nothing beyond a different dialogue to the exact same conclusion.


Your spoilers are incorrect. However, I do disagree with his overall sentiment that DA1's actions didn't influence the game as much. I would argue the opposite.


I guess + Show Spoiler +
saying I shouldn't say dies but either way you lose her. It doesn't change anything, no matter what choice you make you lose that character. Like I said, different dialogue to the exact same conclusion.
The Chief
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia138 Posts
April 10 2011 04:02 GMT
#183
Can't believe people are defending this game, i mean, the con's outweigh the pro's in this game, no point even trying to deny it.
Moist
starcraft911
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)1263 Posts
April 10 2011 04:38 GMT
#184
Dragon age 2 was one of the biggest all-time let downs of any game ever. After playing the first and enjoying it quite a bit. Dragon age 2 fell SO FAR short of the original. I played both of them through on the hardest difficulty and the only reason I completed DA2 was out of a feeling of obligation to beat every game i touch on the hardest difficulty. I was mentally 'done' with the game 20% into it and had to drag it out over a week to complete it.

I hope if they make a 3rd they go back to the original style.
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
April 10 2011 04:42 GMT
#185
I agree with starcraft911.

I don't think that DA2 is a "bad" game in the grand scheme of things. If you compared it in a vacuum to most any other RPG on the market, it would look great. However compared to DA1, coupled with what is expected from Bioware and how well ME2 did, this was a HUGE letdown.

This may be the worst game Bioware has made and the design process can be summed up in one word imo: LAZY. Everything about this game just feels lazy once you get past the awesome attack animations.
stalking.d00m
Profile Joined December 2010
213 Posts
April 10 2011 04:59 GMT
#186
On April 10 2011 13:42 On_Slaught wrote:
I agree with starcraft911.

I don't think that DA2 is a "bad" game in the grand scheme of things. If you compared it in a vacuum to most any other RPG on the market, it would look great. However compared to DA1, coupled with what is expected from Bioware and how well ME2 did, this was a HUGE letdown.

This may be the worst game Bioware has made and the design process can be summed up in one word imo: LAZY. Everything about this game just feels lazy once you get past the awesome attack animations.


Agree. Though LAZY is somewhat inappropriate in this case. Greedy is more like it. Why else will they leave us hanging in end and that too with same environments over and over throughout game. Also, there were DLCs to 'expand' game from the get go. They need to take a clue from Blizzard or Stardock and release large expansions every couple of year instead of launching an 'sequel' every other year.
But funny thing is it was still not bad. Disappointing yeah, but not bad....
<3 to all fellow gamers.
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
April 10 2011 05:40 GMT
#187
I agree about the DLC. Having DLC available from the start is not only insulting, it is a tell about how Bioware has changed over the years.
Zavi_
Profile Joined October 2010
100 Posts
April 10 2011 06:00 GMT
#188
I hate DLC's. The only ones I've ever tried in any game is the ones from DA1, but all they did was make an easy game easier. How can you justify getting free items as "content". That is just bullshit. And even when the DLC was new areas, they were so loaded with good stuff, everything else seemed redundant. I never bothered trying the DLC for DA2. Just left it in my stash all game.

Also I will have to agree that the game seemed lazy. The dungeon layouts (as mentioned like a million times already) were so pathetic, I felt robbed off my money every time I went into a new dungeon. How hard can it be to hire 2 newbie IT students for a few hours work a week where they sit and use the applications they have, to design an infinite amount of different dungeons. Oh right, then they'd have to also change the combat triggers, the looting locations and possibly the monsters too (who am I kidding, there are hardly any new models in DA2 already).

In general I feel that their art team must have been extremely cut down, or severely understaffed. No item icons, hardly any models, reused dungeons etc etc. One of the biggest letdowns for me.

I played most of the game through on nightmare too. Expected it to be a lot like DA1, but alas was I disappointed. Fights could be pretty tough, yes, but mostly it was just 20 minute long fights you had to repeat every time a new "Phase" started, and half your team died due some random spawning enemies. The hardest part of DA2 on nightmare was to not smash your keyboard out of frustration when you've spent an hour and a half doing some shitty encounter, and you die again cause you didn't know an enemy would spawn on top of your healer, right at that moment.

In the beginning, I defended the game to my friends who tried it, but I think I was merely trying to justify my purchase more than anything else. I would rather have waited a year longer, and gotten an actual RPG out of bioware. Oh well, we live and learn. I am going to be very reluctant buying bioware titles in the future before proper reviews from friends and players come out. I simply don't like the way they are heading with their games.
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
April 11 2011 17:19 GMT
#189
I finally beat the game and I avoided every discussion and rumors on the net. I have to say this thread delivers on everything that is good and bad about the game. I want to write about some of the more random stuff that hasn't been mentioned. Apologies for the incoming negative comments.

Why release a DLC at launch date when the game was obviously rushed and had numerous bugs that ruined some of the quests? I personally had at least three quests in which the dead mob did not drop the item that would advance the quest. The fact that Bioware wants us to fork out another $7 or so to play a few quests with an optional character is an insult.

What's the deal with the Qunari? They looked as if they were big Arabic/African warriors in DA:0 and in DA2 they grew horns, all have the same Frankenstein face, and look so sad.

The trailer looked way too cool, but I felt it had some heavy spoilers. The Arishok looked amazing in that trailer, and in the game... (see above paragraph)

The big "reveal" of the ending. + Show Spoiler +
So they show Leliani as a chantry warrior.. WHOOP DE DOOO.. That was a big omfg moment, right? /sarcasm


Hawke's mom. + Show Spoiler +
The Jack D. Ripper storyline and Resident Evil type character was so incredibly random and cheesy.


Male Hawke looks too much like Jesus in the game and looks too much like figure skater Rudy Galindo in the trailer. The voice actor for Hawke doesn't sound correct unless you pick the protagonist answers.

I noticed recycled voice actors from DA0 and it just made the game feel cheap. Anders' voice came from Jowan, and Varric's was from Shale. C'mon hire some new voice actors.

Overall, I just get the impression that Bioware is rushing into this trilogy so that they can launch a DA MMO. The lore is ambitious, but it's so incredibly inconsistent and the material just seems bare.
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
April 11 2011 17:31 GMT
#190
I downloaded this and couldn't last more then 2 hours, would not recommend the purchase. I feel ripped off and I didn't even buy it.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
SayaSP
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Laos5494 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-11 18:12:28
April 11 2011 18:06 GMT
#191
I agree with you broz0rs but that part about the voice actors is an incredibly odd statement.

Edit: Did some research because I'm just watching streams atm.

DA0
Desmond Askew Jowan
Greg Ellis Anders
Geraldine Blecker Shale

DA2
Adam Howden Anders
Brian Bloom Varric Tethras

All from game credits. If they sound the same or similar I guess they are doing their jobs.
[iHs]SSP | I-NO-KI BOM-BA-YE | のヮの http://tinyurl.com/MLIStheCV , MLIS.
bigjenk
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1543 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 01:15:22
April 12 2011 01:14 GMT
#192
Kind of annoying how on nightmare the hardest things to fight tend to be unnamed templar hunters and assasins, while revenants the hardest non storyline guys of da:a are basically walkovers.

Also anyone who has played lots of bioware and does not honestly say this feels like the laziest game to date for them is lying to themselves. Still a decent game but way under par for them.
Ignore my opinions I am bad
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
April 12 2011 01:20 GMT
#193
I can't help but feel Bioware is pooling all of their resources to ME3 and SWTOR. DA2 had to be the 3rd wheel this last year or so.
Coolguy
Profile Joined January 2011
68 Posts
April 12 2011 02:48 GMT
#194
I was expecting much better gameplay in the sequel than the first dragon age, but it's practically the same. It's not very challenging tactically and some spells are even overpowered/unbalanced. I play at the hardest difficulty btw.

I completed the game for the RPG part though, which was kickass. The story is a little thin, but one thing i've always enjoyed was the large amount of conversation and choices. Man do i miss elder scrolls ^_^
Kira__
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2672 Posts
April 25 2011 21:04 GMT
#195
After playing this for a while, I must say I hate when they make games for both PC and consoles. It's so dumbed down and linear, you follow a narrow path with so little options. Only console games that managed to do well on PC is oblivion and fallout, due to it not restricting you as all other console games do.

I really tried to get into this game but it just feels so bland, meh. 2/10

by the way I love RPG games.
The truth is, Yagami-kun, I suspect that you may in fact be Kira.
Mailing
Profile Joined March 2011
United States3087 Posts
April 25 2011 21:06 GMT
#196
It has nothing to do with being on a console, it has to do with lazy development and EA rushing the product.

Origins was the exact same on the PS3 besides the difficulty, which you could make even yourself.
Are you hurting ESPORTS? Find out today - http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=232866
Euronyme
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden3804 Posts
April 25 2011 21:39 GMT
#197
On April 10 2011 15:00 Zavi_ wrote:
I hate DLC's. The only ones I've ever tried in any game is the ones from DA1, but all they did was make an easy game easier. How can you justify getting free items as "content". That is just bullshit. And even when the DLC was new areas, they were so loaded with good stuff, everything else seemed redundant. I never bothered trying the DLC for DA2. Just left it in my stash all game.

Also I will have to agree that the game seemed lazy. The dungeon layouts (as mentioned like a million times already) were so pathetic, I felt robbed off my money every time I went into a new dungeon. How hard can it be to hire 2 newbie IT students for a few hours work a week where they sit and use the applications they have, to design an infinite amount of different dungeons. Oh right, then they'd have to also change the combat triggers, the looting locations and possibly the monsters too (who am I kidding, there are hardly any new models in DA2 already).

In general I feel that their art team must have been extremely cut down, or severely understaffed. No item icons, hardly any models, reused dungeons etc etc. One of the biggest letdowns for me.

I played most of the game through on nightmare too. Expected it to be a lot like DA1, but alas was I disappointed. Fights could be pretty tough, yes, but mostly it was just 20 minute long fights you had to repeat every time a new "Phase" started, and half your team died due some random spawning enemies. The hardest part of DA2 on nightmare was to not smash your keyboard out of frustration when you've spent an hour and a half doing some shitty encounter, and you die again cause you didn't know an enemy would spawn on top of your healer, right at that moment.

In the beginning, I defended the game to my friends who tried it, but I think I was merely trying to justify my purchase more than anything else. I would rather have waited a year longer, and gotten an actual RPG out of bioware. Oh well, we live and learn. I am going to be very reluctant buying bioware titles in the future before proper reviews from friends and players come out. I simply don't like the way they are heading with their games.


Agree with all of the above. The biggest letdown for me personally was that A: I always thought I'd get out of this unimportant indifferent city where you basically are a pretty plain person who does every day jobs. Basically nothing you do has a greater purpose. Next Dragon Age you'll probably be a maid in a home, doing dishes and cleaning the family's clothes..
and B: All the reused shit everywhere. Basically every single dungeon was the same, with a concrete block blocking off an area. They didn't even try to remove the door post, it's just a gray fucking block in the door post -_-*
I didn't mind the low difficulty, as I don't enjoy the fights all that much in the first place. It's just a giant time sink imo (plus the frustration RAAAWR). Every fight is basically a tetris fight where they test how long you can keep it up, and it goes on and on and on. I just wanted to go through the content, so I ended playing on Hard.
I bet i can maı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨ke you wipe your screen.
Chillax
Profile Joined March 2011
England585 Posts
April 25 2011 22:16 GMT
#198
First Bioware game i've bought and felt really let down by. Kind of hoping its not a sign of things to come. I think development time was its biggest problem, Dragon Age Origins was in the making for years. DA2 was rushed.
LDbob
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2 Posts
April 25 2011 22:30 GMT
#199
Bought this game on release, having finished DA:O before it... But had to really drag myself through it. There's so many inconsistencies and randomness in the story, in the game play, in the difficulty levels, in the interface etc. , basically all the criticism in this thread is spot on. Wow I was so let down .
OrchidThief
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark2298 Posts
April 25 2011 22:32 GMT
#200
Overall I felt like it was quite a letdown. The story was kind of random and had nothing to do with the origins/awakenings universe, heck even the place they go to is completely unrelated.

+ Show Spoiler +
You fight a total of 2 (?) dragons in the entire game. And the darkspawn make a cameo-like appearance.


The only thing that was a vast improvement over origins was the talent system. I mean in origins you just drown in talents and abilities. Although I felt like the rogue and the warrior never had the energy to actually do anything resembling a rotation.

The itemisation was stupid. Sometimes the game was suggesting items to be upgrades that clearly wasn't. Sometimes two items with exactly the same stats got different 'ratings' and so on. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Game had its moments, but way too much stuff went south compared to the first one.

Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 6535
Horang2 543
Hyuk 420
BeSt 338
Killer 106
Stork 103
Hyun 83
sorry 79
ggaemo 75
Shinee 75
[ Show more ]
Snow 59
Bonyth 53
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 35
JYJ 24
Pusan 21
Noble 8
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns37625
singsing1845
Mew2King79
ArmadaUGS68
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick717
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2332
League of Legends
• Lourlo1423
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
24m
INu's Battles
2h 24m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 24m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 24m
Replay Cast
13h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.