• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:22
CEST 21:22
KST 04:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10040 users

[Updated]TL Chess - The Comeback - Page 5

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-26 03:45:39
November 26 2010 03:42 GMT
#81
GolemMadness wrote:
ADVANCE CARO-KANN. Favourite opening to play for both sides.


Now that's something I actually play with both colours on a more regular basis. With little twists as black.


broz0rs wrote:
that was played in a TL event a few months ago, but unfortunately wasn't finished.


We can always have another event next year. But that's so far ahead, let's just survive exams and flights back and forth first.

Can't really promise to make it ground-breaking if I'm black and we play the Caro, though.

Edit: What happened to the event, by the way? I checked the start of it, but in general wasn't in the mindset to keep up or read up on any of the previous ones back then.

Edit 2: That reminded me of a hilarious story from my correspondence days. I might tell here instead of waiting for telling it on stream later.
TrueZerG
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
43 Posts
November 26 2010 05:19 GMT
#82
You should go over Pawn/Rook Endings. Also having trouble with the Centurini's Position
Savior: Quite the Irony there <3 all the same
Speedbump
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
New Zealand338 Posts
November 26 2010 05:57 GMT
#83
Nowadays, I'm pretty terrible at chess. Hopefully, I could try to relearn; but I'll be happy to watch you play chess, and give an explanation behind the moves.

Will try to watch this nonetheless, if I'm back in my home town then.
Smoothie
Profile Joined July 2010
18 Posts
November 26 2010 06:51 GMT
#84
I'd like to see alternative openings like the dutch or exchange french or the kan.
A look at the Ruy would be nice (it hurts my head to study it)
And maybe pull some stuff ourt of Dvoretysky's endgame manual- it's pure gold
Har-zvi's voice kinda pisses me off
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
November 26 2010 08:02 GMT
#85
Oh another question: would you be willing to play a you vs. TL correspondence game? I think something similar's been done before.
Moderator
evils_death
Profile Joined August 2010
77 Posts
November 26 2010 13:13 GMT
#86
I'm interested in picking up chess, but am a total newb. Is there any chance of me understanding what you're talking about? If not, would it be possible for me to read up on something/ play games online between now and then in preparation (is there site you reccomend for a amateur?)
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
November 26 2010 19:55 GMT
#87
Do you exchange off the white Bishop in the advance Caro-Khan as black? If white offers to trade bishops I've been been moving my bishop back to G6 so that if white exchanges I get h file pressure. On the other hand this can back fire in some end games, but I think it works ok for blitz.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 27 2010 20:39 GMT
#88
TrueZerG wrote:
... Also having trouble with the Centurini's Position


And what would be that? I never really learnt most of the names. Most of my knowledge through is trial and error.


Smoothie wrote:
I'd like to see alternative openings like the dutch or exchange french or the kan.
A look at the Ruy would be nice (it hurts my head to study it)


Dutch is cool, but I'm not sure I play it too strongly (good enough to drew Naka in 15-minute with it, though - but that's a bliss). There's a cute line in the Exchange French and everyone wants to know about the Caro. I honestly don't know why.
I'm not sure I'm good enough to play the Ruy properly. I've been planning to start playing it just to learn, but it would probably need longer games or researching - neither of which I'm doing much of in the past half year.


Empyrean wrote:
Oh another question: would you be willing to play a you vs. TL correspondence game? I think something similar's been done before.


Can be... Definitely next year, though.


evils_death wrote:
I'm interested in picking up chess, but am a total newb. Is there any chance of me understanding what you're talking about? If not, would it be possible for me to read up on something/ play games online between now and then in preparation (is there site you reccomend for a amateur?)


I think you have a chance to understand some parts - and you definitely have a chance at having good fun. I can't always explain everything. I try and I go into as much details as I can, but of course sometimes I have to skip things too.

As for preparation. You could just try the game anywhere in the meantime. There are tons of free sites. Yahoo is full of 'domeImhot-bots' and Pogo is very small. In general there's much "who has the bigger dick" going on on hobby sites, and if you get high you'll meet cheaters. Also the clock management on those sites sucks in general and they usually don't punish disconnecters, laggers, etc so I wouldn't take them too seriously. For a complete beginner I wouldn't necessarily advice a pay-to-play site, either.

All in all just play a few games wherever and chill. (Sorry I really am not competitive.)


Athos wrote:
Do you exchange off the white Bishop in the advance Caro-Khan as black? If white offers to trade bishops I've been been moving my bishop back to G6 so that if white exchanges I get h file pressure. On the other hand this can back fire in some end games, but I think it works ok for blitz.


When I play Caro I play it with g6 usually. Especially in the advanced variation. And then Nh6-Nf5. Maybe h5 pre- or after Nh6. Or Bh6 as well. I don't remember if the main line goes Bf5 after Nh6 to exchange the bishops and get a knight on f5 at once. It's not a bad position even if you just double up the pawns with Bf5-Bxf5-gxf5. I played that a lot too.

I don't like the usual advanced as black. Maybe 3... c5 is a nice trick, but it's just one of the things that can bore me.
SnowFantasy
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
4173 Posts
November 28 2010 10:50 GMT
#89
Centurini's Position is this:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6425
Salivanth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1071 Posts
November 28 2010 11:06 GMT
#90
Chess.com is a fairly laid-back site. It runs correspondence games (You have up to 3 days to make a move usually, and you play several at once) and live games (timed). You'll lose a few games, but instead of placement matches like SC2, your ELO rating changes incredibly fast for the first few games, so if you're an amateur, you'll plummet down to your level quickly.
<@Wikt> so you are one of those nega-fans <@Wikt> that hates the company that makes a game and everything they stand for <@Wikt> but still plays the game <@Wikt> (like roughly 30% of blizzard's player base, maybe much more...)
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
November 28 2010 22:49 GMT
#91
Rook endings are boring. If you really want to learn about them, get a good endgame book. There's a huge amount of stuff to learn.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
Salivanth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1071 Posts
November 29 2010 12:52 GMT
#92
I've never watched Ng5 before (fairly new TL member, but I'm certainly going to tune into this, since he sounds legendary based on what I've heard. Looking forward to it!
<@Wikt> so you are one of those nega-fans <@Wikt> that hates the company that makes a game and everything they stand for <@Wikt> but still plays the game <@Wikt> (like roughly 30% of blizzard's player base, maybe much more...)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 30 2010 01:08 GMT
#93
I'll try to reply and update the original post as well later tonight. I'm pulling the nth all nighter right now and I need to take a little sleep, though.

Gonna be over soon, though.
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
November 30 2010 21:38 GMT
#94
My CFC's currently around 2240; FIDE 2170. I will battle people.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
December 02 2010 02:24 GMT
#95
Salivanth wrote:
You'll lose a few games, but instead of placement matches like SC2, your ELO rating changes incredibly fast for the first few games


Actually those are placement matches. Before you finish those you are called provisional, which is just like pre-placement match status in SC II. The only difference is there being usually more than five provisional games (the general idea was twenty when it was founded), thus it can make a more delicate and precise approximation.

I also don't find them all that important anymore. You are going to climb where you belong anyway - and the play and fun itself you have while climbing there can be actually far more fun than your points. That and you can get to know more people. That coming from someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about ratings, though.


GolemMadness wrote:
Rook endings are boring. If you really want to learn about them, get a good endgame book. There's a huge amount of stuff to learn.


It depends. For most people Kramnik is boring. But for me he's one of the players I still love to watch. He was probably one of the last players who could keep surprising me every now and then when the other 'more interesting' players started to get boring to watch.


Salivanth wrote:
I've never watched Ng5 before (fairly new TL member, but I'm certainly going to tune into this, since he sounds legendary based on what I've heard. Looking forward to it!


Woo. I'm legendary now. Way to go.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-02 02:29:53
December 02 2010 02:29 GMT
#96
I updated the OP and the second post both so go check them out. Keep giving me ideas if you have any and feel free to comment on the changes and the news.

I also got more PMs about trying to get a double cast with Day[9] or Gretorp or Chill or guys like them.

I don't think they would be too up for it, but if any of you can convince them I'm more than up for it. It could also be fun if I could guest appear on someone's casting stream sometimes - but other than my deep knowledge of general playing psychology, general game sense and intuitions - I don't really play or watch SC II all that eagerly, so I don't know how much I could add.

PS: Of course thanks for all the interest and support, guys. It goes without saying.
-{Cake}-
Profile Joined October 2010
United States217 Posts
December 02 2010 02:37 GMT
#97
Haha, haven't played chess in probably a year, but i really should get back to it

My suggestions:

for openings: The English
for other stuff: kinda random but, some type of explanation of what you are thinking while playing a game (what goes through your head on each move, some of the psychological type stuff)
1a2a3aPro
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada227 Posts
December 02 2010 05:10 GMT
#98
As a chess player and enthusiast... FUCK YES.

That is all.
WarChimp
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia943 Posts
December 02 2010 05:38 GMT
#99
Damn! I would love to watch this!!!! but I used up my bandwidth and now I am on dial up speed not good!
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
December 02 2010 06:00 GMT
#100
after much thought, i'd like to request the Sämisch variation of the Nimzo-Indian. It leads to fierce attacks and there's variations that are being strongly contested right now. In particular, I'm very interested in this line:

5. bxc3, c5
6. e5!

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O44
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 264
BRAT_OK 98
JuggernautJason90
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 901
Shuttle 568
Zeus 93
ZZZero.O 44
soO 43
Hyun 42
ToSsGirL 32
scan(afreeca) 26
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva2151
canceldota32
Counter-Strike
fl0m4751
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3742
Liquid`Hasu572
Other Games
FrodaN867
KnowMe426
420jenkins331
Livibee174
Pyrionflax161
ToD108
QueenE66
summit1g0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick723
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 83
• 3DClanTV 52
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach103
• 80smullet 16
• blackmanpl 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 2290
Other Games
• imaqtpie816
• Shiphtur610
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 38m
Patches Events
19h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
OSC
1d 3h
OSC
1d 16h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.