• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:22
CEST 21:22
KST 04:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10027 users

[Updated]TL Chess - The Comeback - Page 4

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Hoosegow
Profile Joined August 2010
United States139 Posts
November 22 2010 16:16 GMT
#61
Ooh, I second the idea of King's Indian discussion. I used to play 1. d4 exclusively, but now I'm trying to broaden my horizons so I'm trying to learn some 1. c4 play. I usually transposition into the Queen's Gambit if my opponent lets me, but I'm having troubles with games that lead into the KID.
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-22 19:33:22
November 22 2010 19:32 GMT
#62
On November 22 2010 12:10 Colpan wrote:
from this other streamed chess post:
his icc profile is sarevok
i watched him before and he definitely is amazing and insightful and quite humorous


oh man that is a sick record he has.
Epithet
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States840 Posts
November 22 2010 22:41 GMT
#63
On November 22 2010 19:01 undyinglight wrote:
Ng5 do you have Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition? It is the latest version released in 2007. If you do have it can you play a game against it live?

Why stop there? Play against Rybka 4 and get dominated lol. Na, I'm kidding. But The King is a relatively weak engine now compared to the newer ones...even though it will completely dominate most people. Please don't play against it or other engines. It's quite boring to watch unless ur Naka or something.

I'd love to see you talk about opening theory(KID, grunfeld, English, Reti, or whatever) and middle game theory(static and dynamic features, sacrifices on h7,f7,g7, etc., specific mates), and the type of end games and middle games that can arise from certain openings.
YellOw, Reach, & Nal_Ra Hwaiting!!
Epithet
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States840 Posts
November 22 2010 22:44 GMT
#64

Har-Zvi doesn't deserve to be a record holder anyway.

Perfect score: 30-0, Indiana-Jones(GM)
Most points: 59.5-17.5, garompon(GM)


Har-Zvi annoys the shit out of me. It's something about his voice...
YellOw, Reach, & Nal_Ra Hwaiting!!
sixfour
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
England11062 Posts
November 22 2010 22:48 GMT
#65
i'd like to see some discussion of how to play against 2. Bc4 when playing the sicilian as black
p: stats, horang2, free, jangbi z: soulkey, zero, shine, hydra t: leta, hiya, sea
darmousseh
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3437 Posts
November 23 2010 02:34 GMT
#66
Man I used to play so much chess, but I hated having to learn all of the different openings. Like I would get good at an opening and then when I played black some guy would open some opening I never saw and went down some crazy line where there was a non-obvious tactical advantage, so frustrating. Chess isn't "solved" but there are so many lines that the learning curve is all about memorizing patterns and positions. This should be fun though
Developer for http://mtgfiddle.com
Rus_Brain
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Russian Federation1894 Posts
November 23 2010 04:54 GMT
#67
How to find parralel chessmaster abuse?
patyrykin.net
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
November 23 2010 07:53 GMT
#68
Whoa, you're Hungarian? I always thought you were British O_o
Moderator
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 24 2010 00:42 GMT
#69
Epithet wrote:
For real?


Yes, but as I said it was a very awful game. I only realized it when I wanted to analyse it on stream. I kept wishing it would be over already.


undyinglight wrote:
Ng5 do you have Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition? It is the latest version released in 2007. If you do have it can you play a game against it live?


I actually do that for fun sometimes. Or at least I used to when I had more time for chess. Could definitely try it.


Cel.erity wrote:
Sorry I haven't seen your stream, but just wondering, are you Ng5 on ICC? You're an IM, right? I think I've seen you play, maybe against curtains or something.


No I'm not him. I just stole the name. I just wanted to pick a name on the fly and since you guys have a G5 already I was like... G5, Ng5, whatever.


One Page Memory wrote:
Hi Ng5, any chance for a few games 3/0 or similar on playchess.com platform?
I am floating inbetween 2100-2200 rating there.


In theory I have a subscription there due to buying Fritz, in practice I haven't used it yet. I played like five games once, but I find the interface not as much to my liking. I can't promise that one because I won't have much time to try out new things before the stream, but later we can get around to it.


Epithet wrote:
Why stop there? Play against Rybka 4 and get dominated lol. Na, I'm kidding. But The King is a relatively weak engine now compared to the newer ones...even though it will completely dominate most people. Please don't play against it or other engines. It's quite boring to watch unless ur Naka or something.


Rybka isn't that strong either unless you run it on higher-end machines giving it full power of all your processors and memory. Which will make even the best hardware giving you lag in all your other windows. I really dislike how it is programmed and all the craze about it. It's cool, yes. On my new desktop PC I'm liking it more, yes... But in general just because an engine beats the other engines it doesn't mean it's zomgimbadestroyerwtf... It just doesn't fall for some of the stuff others do... It still does fall for some other crap. Especially with the bullshit opening books they are selling exactly for Rybka... Used to make me nauseous. Let's take old openings, delete some lines Rybka doesn't like and add 5 more engine moves to the end... FAIL. I have several lines refuting Rybka's opening book. If it chooses any of those opening it's dead against a reasonable player. If you want I will prove it.


Epithet wrote:

Har-Zvi annoys the shit out of me. It's something about his voice...


I think he's an asshole.


sixfour wrote:
i'd like to see some discussion of how to play against 2. Bc4 when playing the sicilian as black


Can do. But one quick comment is... You can always shoot out with 2... e6 and unless white gets back to some of the main lines try for ... d5. Should give a solid game in most cases. At least I remember playing it a few times.


darmousseh wrote:
Chess isn't "solved" but there are so many lines that the learning curve is all about memorizing patterns and positions. This should be fun though


Not entirely true, but... We can talk about it later.


Rus_Brain wrote:
How to find parralel chessmaster abuse?


Easy. Check for running processes. If you have it on your PC you're toast. If you don't you'll either be very slow while copying engines 100% and when you're left on your own you play like a noob - which is detectable. Or you write an über-imba software that sends the moves through another PC in which case you'll be too fast using 100% engine moves - and be busted. Bottom line is you use 100% engine moves and you are busted. And there's not a handful a people who are good enough to use engines, play strong on their own and be undetectable. ICC has a good modding team.
Of course I know of cheaters who pose as nice and good players who 'try' teaching others - sickening thinking about some people considering them teachers - but they are all small fries and most of them will get banned eventually.


Empyrean wrote:
Whoa, you're Hungarian? I always thought you were British O_o


I never thought my English was that good.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 24 2010 00:42 GMT
#70
C'mon. Start signing up for the simul.

Also I was wondering. I could probably pull off a 24 hour event.
deathgod6
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States5064 Posts
November 24 2010 11:12 GMT
#71
I just finished watching the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer and I have to say high level chess is pretty sick!
4.0 GPA = A rank 5.0 GPA = Olympic --------- Bisu, Best, Fantasy. i ♥ oov. They can get in my BoxeR anyday.
CynanMachae
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Canada1459 Posts
November 24 2010 22:14 GMT
#72
This definitely looks interesting! I'll try to search among my games if I can find an interesting one to analyze

Definitely interested in a simul as well
Jang Yoon Chul hwaiting!
ETHANOL
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada68 Posts
November 25 2010 00:07 GMT
#73
Definitely keeping some games from now on for that event, ill pm when i find some interesting games!
DrSeRRoD
Profile Joined October 2010
United States490 Posts
November 25 2010 01:08 GMT
#74
On November 24 2010 20:12 deathgod6 wrote:
I just finished watching the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer and I have to say high level chess is pretty sick!


Took me a while to find it on DVD too since it is out of print. Most of them are selling for $40-50+ but it is definitely an excellent movie for chess lovers and enthusiasts.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 25 2010 02:34 GMT
#75
Oh crap... Checking the view number on this thread I only now realize how I missed the obligatory...

+ Show Spoiler +

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!


Couldn't find a video I like.
UisTehSux
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States693 Posts
November 25 2010 02:54 GMT
#76
As black, what openings do you prefer vs D4? I've look into the Slav and Grunfield, but I find that I am too lazy to study all of the theory.

And what's your favorite vs E4? My personal favorite is The French. I'm sure I lack the skill to competently use these openings to their full potential, but I try. Lol.
I underestimated that boy. No... it was not the boy I underestimated, it was the Triforce of Courage.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-25 03:31:36
November 25 2010 03:26 GMT
#77
UisTehSux wrote:
As black, what openings do you prefer vs D4? I've look into the Slav and Grunfield, but I find that I am too lazy to study all of the theory.

And what's your favorite vs E4? My personal favorite is The French. I'm sure I lack the skill to competently use these openings to their full potential, but I try. Lol.


I play literally everything as black. I never really found something I could stick with for long.

Some things I play more in a particular time control/scenario, though. I wouldn't touch the Grünfeld in correspondence as black most of the times... I usually don't get into the KID in short (-5 minute) games. And in longer (30+) games I try to keep away from the positions I mark as 'boring' or 'drawish'. Which doesn't always intersect with the set of openings considered as boring in general.

For example one of the most boring shit I can imagine in a long game is the King's Gambit's 'Modern' variation (can be reached through the countergambit too, easily) and I don't know if many would agree with that.
For me it's just so *yawn* I generally just push 3. d4 if something like 1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 happens lately. (*)

I also used to play the Alekhine in my starting few years. Luckily I grew out of the habit, I think, but when I started playing blitz again I oftentimes found myself pushing 1... Nf6 just as a reflex more often than I would have liked.

Edit:
(*) But then again I just randomly push anything if anything happens in the first six (or up to twelve) moves lately. After that I generally get more serious.
undyinglight
Profile Joined December 2008
United States611 Posts
November 25 2010 20:25 GMT
#78
On November 24 2010 09:42 Ng5 wrote:

Show nested quote +
undyinglight wrote:
Ng5 do you have Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition? It is the latest version released in 2007. If you do have it can you play a game against it live?


I actually do that for fun sometimes. Or at least I used to when I had more time for chess. Could definitely try it.




That would be cool, thanks man.
Rise Up!
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
November 26 2010 02:23 GMT
#79
ADVANCE CARO-KANN. Favourite opening to play for both sides.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
November 26 2010 02:31 GMT
#80
On November 26 2010 11:23 GolemMadness wrote:
ADVANCE CARO-KANN. Favourite opening to play for both sides.


that was played in a TL event a few months ago, but unfortunately wasn't finished.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O44
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 264
BRAT_OK 98
JuggernautJason90
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 901
Shuttle 568
Zeus 93
ZZZero.O 44
soO 43
Hyun 42
ToSsGirL 32
scan(afreeca) 26
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva2151
canceldota32
Counter-Strike
fl0m4751
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3742
Liquid`Hasu572
Other Games
FrodaN867
KnowMe426
420jenkins331
Livibee174
Pyrionflax161
ToD108
QueenE66
summit1g0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick723
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 83
• 3DClanTV 52
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach103
• 80smullet 16
• blackmanpl 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 2290
Other Games
• imaqtpie816
• Shiphtur610
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 38m
Patches Events
19h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
OSC
1d 3h
OSC
1d 16h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.