• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:24
CEST 20:24
KST 03:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9827 users

Hip Hop / Rap Music Discussion - Page 19

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 68 Next
koR
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany25 Posts
June 25 2013 18:22 GMT
#361
damn sometimes i just need this gritty deep underground stuff. i wish they would meet up again to style on some of those oldschool vibes.

MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-27 02:07:24
June 27 2013 01:57 GMT
#362
The last page reminded me of this Soul Assassins album.



One of the best mid-1990's album that's not mentioned too much (1997). DJ Muggs is one of the few people to unite East and West coast artists at a time it wasn't really being done. (1996 is year of Tupac and Biggie shootings if you need some perspective). Muggs' production stands out through the whole CD.

Bought this CD blindly around 05/06 and became one of my favs before it turned into one of my many stolen ones.

A lot of nice guests on the album but biggest surprise is Ceelo actually rapping (!) on Decisions, Decisions track (~6:25).

(KRS-One kills it IMO too)

edit: soo, timeline:
1993- 36 Chambers
1994- Illmatic
1995- The Infamous
1996- EC/WC shiznit
1997- Soul Assasins


"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
Soulstice
Profile Joined December 2011
United States288 Posts
June 27 2013 02:03 GMT
#363
El-P & Killer Mikes' Run the Jewels landed today. Following their 2012 collab R.A.P. music, there was high expectations for this release, and it did not disappoint!
Living the liefe
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
June 27 2013 04:48 GMT
#364

Vibing to this in my head all day.
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 27 2013 08:54 GMT
#365
Not sure if this has been posted already, but this thread is a pain in the ass to navigate. This is by far the best rap album that has been released in the past couple years



Also in 2 days I'll see mobb deep live (and a couple of german rappers like Sido and Genetikk, but I don't know any of their songs)
Skynx
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
Turkey7150 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-27 10:05:19
June 27 2013 10:01 GMT
#366
More gangsta rap (with possibly not such interesting lyrics)
"When seagulls follow the troller, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much" - King Cantona | STX 4 eva
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
June 27 2013 11:10 GMT
#367
its hard to navigate because a) no one spoilers videos b) discussion jumps around between actually talking about music and just posting videos c) there's really not alot of people talking about music.

i think we should address all 3.

decaf can you explain why you like the album?

Soulstice This is my favorite thing ever from Killer Mike and after getting his albums and listening, I couldn't find anything even close to how good it is. Maybe its not his genre for the most part (especially because more of his music seems to be like the song you posted) but regardless I can't seem to enjoy any of his music after this verse. R.A.P. music was pretty good though.

MassHysteria I really like that. A lot. For some reason I've never heard it though. Esp the RZA/GZA parts, because I've been heavy into Wu Tang recently. I especially like the way WTC (and by extension those around them) do their flow. A lot of rappers don't have a good feel for how to ride beats and for some reason they ace it every time.
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 27 2013 12:07 GMT
#368
Why I like it so much? Because it brings some fresh new air into the rap game and it's just a really clean and solid album. Pretty much every song has a lot of replay value, but I especially like Good Kid and I'm Dying Of Thirst. I usually only listen to albums that are at least 10+ years old, because I feel like most of the stuff that is produced nowadays is just mindless garbage sine many of the new rappers are just in for the money and fame and the ones that have been around for longer don't feel appreciated anymore. But this album does a lot of things right, I really like Kendrick's approach and imo he's kinda redefining what new school rap actually should be like.
His flow is really different to what I usually listen to, but I enjoy it a lot, you can just sit and vibe. And the theme throughout the entire album is really interesting and kinda inconistently consistent. The way he mixes it up and hits a lot of different angles, but still manages to keep his own style and integrity is really refreshing and interesting. Definitely a very versatile and talented artist. You're missing out on a lot if you only listen to his songs Swimming Pools and The Recipe, which seem to be the most popular. I definitely recommend sitting through the whole album in one go and kinda let the story unfold.

And if you into Wu Tang definitely check out Ironman by Ghostface and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon, I think those are wu's best albums and I used to listen to a lot of Wu, know those 2 albums by heart. Obviously 36 chambers and Liquid Sword are high up there as well.
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
June 27 2013 12:31 GMT
#369
I mean I agree. . I wrote about it, but pretty much it sounds so different from all the music that's coming out that I love it. It's old school style because of the heavy west coast influence and themes, except modern.

I'm partial toward Poetic Justice and Money Trees but I like pretty much every song on it.

I play Raekwon a lot but I need to get the other member's albums.
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
MrSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden93 Posts
June 27 2013 13:16 GMT
#370
Dead Prez!





Ultimo Hombre
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia1436 Posts
June 27 2013 13:22 GMT
#371
On June 27 2013 21:07 decaf wrote:
Why I like it so much? Because it brings some fresh new air into the rap game and it's just a really clean and solid album. Pretty much every song has a lot of replay value, but I especially like Good Kid and I'm Dying Of Thirst. I usually only listen to albums that are at least 10+ years old, because I feel like most of the stuff that is produced nowadays is just mindless garbage sine many of the new rappers are just in for the money and fame and the ones that have been around for longer don't feel appreciated anymore. But this album does a lot of things right, I really like Kendrick's approach and imo he's kinda redefining what new school rap actually should be like.
His flow is really different to what I usually listen to, but I enjoy it a lot, you can just sit and vibe. And the theme throughout the entire album is really interesting and kinda inconistently consistent. The way he mixes it up and hits a lot of different angles, but still manages to keep his own style and integrity is really refreshing and interesting. Definitely a very versatile and talented artist. You're missing out on a lot if you only listen to his songs Swimming Pools and The Recipe, which seem to be the most popular. I definitely recommend sitting through the whole album in one go and kinda let the story unfold.

And if you into Wu Tang definitely check out Ironman by Ghostface and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon, I think those are wu's best albums and I used to listen to a lot of Wu, know those 2 albums by heart. Obviously 36 chambers and Liquid Sword are high up there as well.


Sing about Me is probably the saddest rap song I've heard in a while. http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=1363&fulltext=1 This is a great review of the album, although it is rather long and digresses a fair bit.

"What makes him important is the way in which the autobiographical good kid m.A.A.d city is so novelistic and so eloquently anchored in the literary blues tradition of which Ellison wrote. Lamar is equal parts oral historian and authorial presence, and more than many authors writing today, he has captured all of the pathos and grief of gun violence, poverty, and the families who carve their lives out amidst all of that chaos."
MCDayC
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom14464 Posts
June 27 2013 15:00 GMT
#372
Please can we spoiler videos as a general policy from now on?
VERY FRAGILE, LIKE A BABY PANDA EGG
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
June 28 2013 04:10 GMT
#373
GKMC is a great album as a whole, says a lot that I find the bonus tracks from the deluxe version annoying as they seem out of place. It's just so tight, so well put together, and all of the songs are fun to listen to individually as well.
tRuE008
Profile Joined March 2009
United States54 Posts
June 28 2013 04:42 GMT
#374
been following this thread and thought i should add my two cents...and a few nickels and dimes.

+ Show Spoiler +













a hand full of some hip hop that i am into. I usually listen to hip-hop/jazz instrumental, but once in a while some rap isn't bad.
Soulstice
Profile Joined December 2011
United States288 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-28 05:17:04
June 28 2013 05:00 GMT
#375
On June 27 2013 20:10 Juliette wrote:
its hard to navigate because a) no one spoilers videos b) discussion jumps around between actually talking about music and just posting videos c) there's really not alot of people talking about music.

i think we should address all 3.

decaf can you explain why you like the album?

Soulstice This is my favorite thing ever from Killer Mike and after getting his albums and listening, I couldn't find anything even close to how good it is. Maybe its not his genre for the most part (especially because more of his music seems to be like the song you posted) but regardless I can't seem to enjoy any of his music after this verse. R.A.P. music was pretty good though.

MassHysteria I really like that. A lot. For some reason I've never heard it though. Esp the RZA/GZA parts, because I've been heavy into Wu Tang recently. I especially like the way WTC (and by extension those around them) do their flow. A lot of rappers don't have a good feel for how to ride beats and for some reason they ace it every time.


First i just want to say that Killer Mike has had his ups and downs, and i think his career definitely peaked with RAP music, as i find that album to be the best to land in quite some time. I am very confused however which other killer mike songs do you feel sound like the one posted? I think El-P's beats alone set this album (and RAP music) apart from not only his previous work, but hip hop as a whole. I think mixing El-P's exceptional beats with Killer Mikes political attitude constantly keeps their work together interesting and fresh.
Here are some of my favorite Killer Mike tracks from before his collaboration with EL-P
+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +


+ Show Spoiler +
+R.A.P. Music and Run the Jewels in their entirety. Check them out!


And I agree, the discussion in this thread is lacking. Sad to see the only thing being discussed lately is the new Yeezy
album...
Edit: To add to the discussion here is my 2 cents worth regarding GKMC. After listening to Kendrick Lemar a little over a year ago i always thought he had potential but just hadn't proven himself. However, i was very disappointing with GKMC after hearing friends talk about how good it was. Kendrick raps alot about stories from his past which i definitely respect, but i think the beats are sub par and that the album was quite hollow. Anyway, my favorite song by far was M.A.A.D. City probably because part of the beat is a taken from one of my favorite Ice Cube songs, 'A Bird in the Hand'.
Living the liefe
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 28 2013 08:11 GMT
#376
@Soulstice
I don't think the beats on gkmc are bad at all. In my opinion they really fit his voice and flow and they're a big part of the reason why I like this album so much. The only rapper I really like whose beats are kinda bad is Nas, they're simply not as good as they could be (Illmatic is probably my favorite album tho).

Also I wanted to share this one song with you I stumbled across the other day. It completely blew my mind to be honest. The amount of quotables in that song is through the roof and the delivery is just on another level. It reminds me a bit of the 'infinite' or 'slim shady lp' eminem or cage.

+ Show Spoiler +



And since the lyrics in that youtube video are all wrong..
http://rapgenius.com/Eyedea-even-shadows-have-shadows-lyrics
Soulstice
Profile Joined December 2011
United States288 Posts
June 28 2013 17:36 GMT
#377
On June 28 2013 17:11 decaf wrote:
@Soulstice
I don't think the beats on gkmc are bad at all. In my opinion they really fit his voice and flow and they're a big part of the reason why I like this album so much. The only rapper I really like whose beats are kinda bad is Nas, they're simply not as good as they could be (Illmatic is probably my favorite album tho).

Also I wanted to share this one song with you I stumbled across the other day. It completely blew my mind to be honest. The amount of quotables in that song is through the roof and the delivery is just on another level. It reminds me a bit of the 'infinite' or 'slim shady lp' eminem or cage.

+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q87e6zNRJ3s

And since the lyrics in that youtube video are all wrong..
http://rapgenius.com/Eyedea-even-shadows-have-shadows-lyrics

Perhaps its just not my style but after listening to the album multiple times i cant help but to find it stale.

I was thinking about this the other day; very few artists in my collection belong to the west coast. I guess to me after the 90's the west coast a lot of their 'funk' and transitioned into something more modern that never really did anything for me. There was always the debate East vs. West in hip hop and to me there was and is no question that east is superior. Im not saying there aren't great musicians from the west, there are just significantly less high quality artists from the west IMHO.

I'm glad you posted some Eyedea and Abillities, they are a really under appreciated duo. My favorite album of theirs is their self title, "Eyedea & Abilities" So sad Eyedea had to leave us
+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

Living the liefe
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-28 17:41:11
June 28 2013 17:40 GMT
#378
I think it can get stale, but I've always put that to the way I listen to music. Usually I'll loop through an album for a few weeks until I know every song very well and put it away for a while because I know it too well. The only albums I haven't done that with are WTT/MBDTF/Take Care - those find their way into my regular rotation no matter what somehow.
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 28 2013 17:53 GMT
#379
I guess my taste in rap is very east coast heavy as well, only recently have I started listening to eminem more seriously and now kendrick lamar kinda counts too, but generally it feels like east coast puts out far more serious music while west coast is mostly entertainment stuff. At least that's the way I perceive it.
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
June 28 2013 18:20 GMT
#380
I don't think that's always the case but yeah just because of how many more rappers come out of the east I see what you mean.

I listen to more modern (post, say, 2005ish?) stuff though so at this point east/west kinda disappears. Especially because some rappers cross lines often enough. That said, I fucking love the south.
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 610
UpATreeSC 134
JuggernautJason11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21421
firebathero 200
Rush 136
Dewaltoss 57
Sexy 28
Trap 20
Bale 16
Shine 15
yabsab 10
Djem5 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7665
qojqva1630
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever59
Counter-Strike
fl0m1545
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1931
crisheroes1133
Liquid`Hasu671
XaKoH 161
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby2539
Beastyqt764
ceh9761
FrodaN726
ArmadaUGS193
KnowMe153
Hui .148
byalli144
C9.Mang0133
QueenE106
Trikslyr71
Mew2King55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2288
League of Legends
• TFBlade1186
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV247
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 36m
Stellar Fest
18h 36m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.