• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:04
CEST 15:04
KST 22:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8857 users

Death metal thread - Page 9

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 24 Next All
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 21:25:26
August 20 2011 21:23 GMT
#161
On August 13 2011 11:22 Nazeron wrote:
In Flames is melodic death metal, this thread has to do more with pure death metal.


Definitely. A lot of melodeath has been evolving into stuff death metal purists probably hate. I came to metal from rock so a lot of the new In Flames and Soilwork stuff I'm a huge fan of. For this thread though, I'll just leave a good old fashioned thrasher that we can probably find some common ground over

TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
August 20 2011 21:51 GMT
#162
Nop sorry, this is hardly death metal or melodic death metal.

Any Obituary fans around ?
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
August 20 2011 22:00 GMT
#163
Anyone listen to death while they ladder? I always do and I love it!!!

My personal favorite genre is Melodeth, but I generally like all categories of death metal.

\m/
Sewi
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany1697 Posts
August 20 2011 22:03 GMT
#164
On August 21 2011 06:51 TheBamf wrote:
Nop sorry, this is hardly death metal or melodic death metal.

Any Obituary fans around ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgCZasm6mU


Agreed!
This one is pretty sick imo

"Well, things were going ok until he lost all his stuff" - Tasteless, 17.02.2016
CutthroatCollapse
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany309 Posts
August 20 2011 23:58 GMT
#165
The Black Dahlia Murder is by far the best death metal band. And this is not even negiotiable. Thank you very much.

And "Unhallowed" is the best death metal album ever written
I tink, MC so sterong
qoiN
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden576 Posts
August 21 2011 00:11 GMT
#166
On August 21 2011 08:58 CutthroatCollapse wrote:
The Black Dahlia Murder is by far the best death metal band. And this is not even negiotiable. Thank you very much.

And "Unhallowed" is the best death metal album ever written


They're really good, and live they're seriously fucking bad-ass. Saw black dahlia and amon amarth the same evening, and there are no words to describe how sick it was.
psycroptic
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada115 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-21 00:16:22
August 21 2011 00:14 GMT
#167
On August 21 2011 05:41 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
Psycroptic dropped off a lot after Scepters. They fell into the generic the death band category where they essentially whack off their guitars and focus less on riffs and more on technicality.

Well the new stuff is way more produced and no vocalist will ever compare to Chalky...but it's still Psycroptic and there is no other guitar player like Joe Haley out there. They still sound great and they are still unique, just evolving. Have high hopes for next release! With that I post something off Scepters...

EDIT: i miss chalky lol


TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
August 21 2011 00:25 GMT
#168
On August 21 2011 07:03 Sewi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 06:51 TheBamf wrote:
Nop sorry, this is hardly death metal or melodic death metal.

Any Obituary fans around ?


Agreed!
This one is pretty sick imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iKRrxGoN6U


I really detest Illud Divinum Insanus, it is trash compared to their wonder years:

IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
August 21 2011 01:40 GMT
#169
Some really good Death/Doom. Ridiculously heavy.
Sewi
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany1697 Posts
August 21 2011 10:31 GMT
#170
On August 21 2011 09:25 TheBamf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 07:03 Sewi wrote:
On August 21 2011 06:51 TheBamf wrote:
Nop sorry, this is hardly death metal or melodic death metal.

Any Obituary fans around ?


Agreed!
This one is pretty sick imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iKRrxGoN6U


I really detest Illud Divinum Insanus, it is trash compared to their wonder years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cer5dnZ3kk


A lot of discussion is going on about it, but I have to say, I love MA from the early days. Blessed is one of my alltime favourites!
But I also like the F-H albums AND Illud!
I understand why people dont like it but actually I enjoy it a lot. Depending on mood, I like each album best from time to time. Gateways for example has some of the darkest, slowest and energetic riffs they ever came up with while the older outputs have fast riffs which are just unbelieveable.

♥ MA!
"Well, things were going ok until he lost all his stuff" - Tasteless, 17.02.2016
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
August 21 2011 10:39 GMT
#171
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?
I am Latedi.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
August 21 2011 10:42 GMT
#172
On August 21 2011 10:40 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
Some really good Death/Doom. Ridiculously heavy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VShxNkyHG0



This is reaaalllllyyy good and overlooked/obscure. Their first singer left the band to do missionary work in Africa. Really unexpected given that this music is overwhelmingly dark, morose, and evil sounding. Christian metalcore bands are posers compared to Dusk.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
August 21 2011 10:45 GMT
#173
On August 21 2011 19:39 Latedi wrote:
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?



Deathcore typically has a lot more simplistic patterns and "breakdowns" (parts where they slow things down and play a few simple phrases over and over). Deathcore is also marketed and packaged in calculating fashion much like pop music. It's generally made by younger kids (15-20ish) for kids. There's a lot of gimmicky crap and poor musicianship in deathcore. Lots of death metal musicians are actually kind of old now.

That being said, there are still a few good deathcore bands and an abundance of bad death metal bands.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
CutthroatCollapse
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany309 Posts
August 21 2011 10:56 GMT
#174
On August 21 2011 19:39 Latedi wrote:
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?


I think there is quite a big difference. First of all, deathcore is a much newer style, although I cannot tell you exactly when it started.
All I know is that the first 'core' band I listenend to was as I lay dying (which were also one of the first band of this new genre). They distinguished themselves from 'traditional' death metal mainly in their lyrics, in their instrumentation (i.e. the parts) and also in their fashion and hairstyle (which is not that evident with as i lay dying yet, as they were still your "long haired metal dudes")

the musical particularities of anything 'core': hardly any blast beats, many breakdowns (i.e. very rhythmical parts in the middle of songs often introduced by something called a "sub-bass explosion" , I think you can call it that, at lease ; like a stated in the last point, frequent use of synthetic effects.
also the screaming is different: its not just low growling or high screeching; its more something in-between which gives away the character of the singer's voice a bit better imo. Also there is some singing here and there (which you would never find in death metal)

concerning the lyrics: they tend to be very emotional (also affinity to emocore and screamo) and often focus on relationship problems. No mindless talking about torture and destruction el o el

and last: any dudes who consider themselves 'core' try to dress up rather fancy and have a 'cool' short haircut

I think I could go on and on, but I'll just cite a few bands which would fit the label death core according to my opinion:
Bring me the Horizin, As Blood Runs Black, The Devil Wears Prada, The Red Shore...cant think of any more right now lol
I tink, MC so sterong
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-21 11:02:14
August 21 2011 10:56 GMT
#175
On August 21 2011 19:45 Drowsy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 19:39 Latedi wrote:
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?



Deathcore typically has a lot more simplistic patterns and "breakdowns" (parts where they slow things down and play a few simple phrases over and over). Deathcore is also marketed and packaged in calculating fashion much like pop music. It's generally made by younger kids (15-20ish) for kids. There's a lot of gimmicky crap and poor musicianship in deathcore. Lots of death metal musicians are actually kind of old now.

That being said, there are still a few good deathcore bands and an abundance of bad death metal bands.


That sounds horrible ._. I hope I'm not listening to any of that crap, I have heard some really boring deathcore bands and decided I didn't like them. Hopefully Those were the marketed bands haha. I think breakdowns can be nice, really, but if you have one per song that is kind of boring. And yeah I have heard so much bad death metal I have almost given up on the genre. So if I'm looking for a new band to listen to it's either deathcore or deathmetal with help from a thread like this.

On August 21 2011 19:56 CutthroatCollapse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 19:39 Latedi wrote:
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?


I think there is quite a big difference. First of all, deathcore is a much newer style, although I cannot tell you exactly when it started.
All I know is that the first 'core' band I listenend to was as I lay dying (which were also one of the first band of this new genre). They distinguished themselves from 'traditional' death metal mainly in their lyrics, in their instrumentation (i.e. the parts) and also in their fashion and hairstyle (which is not that evident with as i lay dying yet, as they were still your "long haired metal dudes")

the musical particularities of anything 'core': hardly any blast beats, many breakdowns (i.e. very rhythmical parts in the middle of songs often introduced by something called a "sub-bass explosion" , I think you can call it that, at lease ; like a stated in the last point, frequent use of synthetic effects.
also the screaming is different: its not just low growling or high screeching; its more something in-between which gives away the character of the singer's voice a bit better imo. Also there is some singing here and there (which you would never find in death metal)

concerning the lyrics: they tend to be very emotional (also affinity to emocore and screamo) and often focus on relationship problems. No mindless talking about torture and destruction el o el

and last: any dudes who consider themselves 'core' try to dress up rather fancy and have a 'cool' short haircut

I think I could go on and on, but I'll just cite a few bands which would fit the label death core according to my opinion:
Bring me the Horizin, As Blood Runs Black, The Devil Wears Prada, The Red Shore...cant think of any more right now lol


Ooh there seems to be quite some focus on looks there. Personally I couldn't care less though as I think the music matters more. But maybe it's something to think about if you play live or go listen to a concert. I think the singing is a good part because I rarely hear the lyircs in death metal... say I can hear 10%? Then I can hear maybe 25% in deathcore. Well lyrics doesn't really matter if you can't hear what they sing anyway. And about the bands you listed I have been instructed to not listen to some of them xD I think I should keep away.


Thanks for explaining this for me guys
I am Latedi.
Scalepad
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden366 Posts
August 21 2011 11:00 GMT
#176
On August 21 2011 19:39 Latedi wrote:
So I thought this might be a good place to ask. I listen to both death metal and deathcore and I don't really hear a difference in the music but why is there hate for deathcore?

Death metal rarely has pig squeals, those high pitched "shouts", nor breakdowns (except the more extreme bands like Devourment etc). Personally I think they sound a lot different, and death metal often has a more distorted sound than deathcore. I don't "hate" deathcore myself, but I don't enjoy listening to it, but I guess most people don't like it because of the overall look on most bands, you know, wearing baseball caps and shit like that. Some people want their metal "cool" I guess?

Compare this,


to this,


there's so much variation in death metal that it's hard to pick a song, really. I don't know enough about deathcore to say anything about it but as far as I know there's not as much variation. Just my opinion!
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-21 11:10:52
August 21 2011 11:10 GMT
#177
Aah yeah death metal can vary a lot. I like how it's a very broad genre where every band can have their own sound. This is also pretty true for metalcore as I listen to some bands like Killswitch Engage and All That Remains. And still they sound different. Maybe the deathcore artists haven't been experimenting enough yet. And I don't really care if a band member has a baseball cap or not :p

Edit: That song by Suicide Silence had way too many breakdowns haha
I am Latedi.
Scalepad
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden366 Posts
August 21 2011 11:24 GMT
#178
Yeah, the baseball cap comment was kind of a joke 8).
9287
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States134 Posts
August 21 2011 11:25 GMT
#179
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
August 21 2011 11:35 GMT
#180
On August 21 2011 20:24 Scalepad wrote:
Yeah, the baseball cap comment was kind of a joke 8).


Sorry I'm retarded. But I have seen some bands with weird outfits so... You never know.
I am Latedi.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1444
WardiTV658
OGKoka 253
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko406
OGKoka 253
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 8959
Bisu 4356
FanTaSy 3482
Jaedong 2087
Shuttle 1652
EffOrt 1282
Horang2 746
BeSt 724
actioN 455
Larva 388
[ Show more ]
Mini 278
Stork 121
Zeus 117
Mind 110
Dewaltoss 97
Snow 79
910 64
Barracks 63
Sea.KH 57
soO 54
hero 47
Mong 45
ToSsGirL 43
Sexy 37
sorry 33
Killer 30
Yoon 28
Bale 27
JYJ 26
Shinee 22
Free 18
Aegong 17
Shine 17
scan(afreeca) 15
zelot 15
HiyA 13
Sacsri 12
yabsab 11
Noble 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc4194
qojqva1444
Dendi929
XaKoH 536
febbydoto19
Counter-Strike
x6flipin248
Other Games
singsing2713
olofmeister1357
hiko779
Livibee683
B2W.Neo666
crisheroes349
XBOCT235
Pyrionflax233
dupreeh70
Liquid`VortiX67
QueenE25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick637
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2052
• Nemesis1432
Other Games
• WagamamaTV174
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 56m
Replay Cast
9h 56m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 56m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
21h 56m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.