• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:28
CEST 00:28
KST 07:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9272 users

Death metal thread - Page 11

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 24 Next All
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-22 22:24:32
August 22 2011 12:01 GMT
#201
On August 22 2011 00:40 tanngard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 23:58 shadymmj wrote:
i consider myself very much a death metal fan but i just can't get into deicide for the life of me. i like Death, Entombed, Dismembere, Atheist, even necroticism-era Carcass, but deicide just sounds like pig screams and a wall of blast beats to me.


Yes Deicide can be a tough listening. Its pretty umcompromising. But music is an artform. And art is not always something to enjoy, but to experience. I mean, i dont necessary always enjoy Deicide that much, but more so its an experience of how raw and extreme metal can be. If someone playing instruments acutally can make you feel sick to your stomic, now thats a genuine emotion youre experiencing. Embrace that sick rotten feeling inside.

Now. If Deicide's music was so bad that it made you feel sick to you bone, that would have been a hole other story. But Deicide made well executed, original and honest music that makes you wanna puke and squeel. Now thats genius.

I love Deicide's first two albums and their last three (to a lesser extent). However their first two (the self-titled album and Legion) sound like some straightforward, but much better than average, brutal death while the last three albums are thrashier. I don't find it very 'sickening' sounding if that makes sense.

I don't mean to say "yo these bands are way more br00tal and sick than those mainstream bands like Deicide", but I find more twisted sounding death metal bands like Malignancy, Mindly Rotten, Ulcerate and a lot of good grindcore bands like Carcass and Pig Destroyer evoke that rotten feeling you're describing better.
Malignancy's first full-length was more old-school brutal death,


but their later shit was insane--not necessarily better, just more fucked up sounding.


I like the way Ulcerate create atmosphere without compromising the brutality.


Columbia is just bursting at the seams with death metal. Mindly Rotten is one of the better Columbian acts

Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-22 14:11:35
August 22 2011 14:05 GMT
#202
I listened to some of Textures : ) Nice band

reincremate, you linked the same song twice : p
I am Latedi.
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
August 22 2011 14:23 GMT
#203
You don't even really make sense in saying "twisted sounding death metal." Malignancy sounds nothing like Ulcerate or that other band you posted. Just brutal death. Ulcerate is a tech/brutal death. I'm pretty sure that other band is too but that last one was awful. No offense but it's not that impressive to be really technical. Lots of bands can do it. This band is pretty generic. There were times where it just sounded like a mess of noise.

Brutal Death is a very fragile genre, lots of generic bands who just want to be super heavy or brutal and it ends up sounding boring or awful.
Wormed. Spanish Brutal Death. Has that dissonant sound, has awesome riffing, is heavy, guttural vocals. You may like it it.
tanngard
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway1325 Posts
August 22 2011 15:47 GMT
#204
On August 22 2011 21:01 reincremate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2011 00:40 tanngard wrote:
On August 21 2011 23:58 shadymmj wrote:
i consider myself very much a death metal fan but i just can't get into deicide for the life of me. i like Death, Entombed, Dismembere, Atheist, even necroticism-era Carcass, but deicide just sounds like pig screams and a wall of blast beats to me.


Yes Deicide can be a tough listening. Its pretty umcompromising. But music is an artform. And art is not always something to enjoy, but to experience. I mean, i dont necessary always enjoy Deicide that much, but more so its an experience of how raw and extreme metal can be. If someone playing instruments acutally can make you feel sick to your stomic, now thats a genuine emotion youre experiencing. Embrace that sick rotten feeling inside.

Now. If Deicide's music was so bad that it made you feel sick to you bone, that would have been a hole other story. But Deicide made well executed, original and honest music that makes you wanna puke and squeel. Now thats genius.

I love Deicide's first two albums and their last three (to a lesser extent). However their first two (the self-titled album and Legion) sound like some straightforward, but much better than average, brutal death while the last three albums are thrashier. I don't find it very 'sickening' sounding if that makes sense.

I don't mean to say "yo these bands are way more br00tal and sick than those mainstream bands like Deicide", but I find more twisted sounding death metal bands like Malignancy, Mindly Rotten, Ulcerate and a lot of good grindcore bands like Carcass and Pig Destroyer evoke that rotten feeling you're describing better.


Theres just something brutally evil about early deicide (I've only listened to their first three) soundwise. I mean sure, there are more 'evil' bands and certainly more 'brutal' bands like the grindcore ones, but when i listen to deicide theres an ancient EVIL feel to it. The 80's production with the dirty, but thin guitars contributes to this. And even tough the vocals aren't indistinguishable gutteral sounds there nonetheless some beastly growls that transcended what was previously achieved. Up until the point of Deicides debut in 1990 i'd say that most of the extreme metal bands were using high pitch sneering or shouting to deliever there lyrical messages, but Deicides vocalist cut ground with his deep growling (still he varies alot between shrieks and growls). The volume on the vocals is also really loud and add power to his battlecries against God.

To me these vocals make can me feel sick. The relentless blastbeats, fronted by some loooud aggressive vocals coming straight from the deepest hell just makes feel slightly uncomfortable when im relaxing in my favourite chair sipping on hot chocolate, but its ALL GOOD.

Now here for something more brutal sounding



Now this just leaves me smily and giddly. I guess its because it flows really well.
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
August 22 2011 16:21 GMT
#205
My favorite Floridian DM band. Well, the first three albums at least. Morbid Angel just has amazing riffs and David Vincent's vocals embody what I consider are evil vocals. Distinguishable and yet still a growl. Trey's guitar work for A,B and C is just great. So many moment I find myself thinking DAT RIFF in my head. Pete the feet just complements all this with his great drumming.(as seen in Word Downfall too) Altars of Madness sits prety high on my all time list and Chapel of Ghouls is my all time favorite DM song.


Incantation is awesome too. It seems almost anything Craig Pillard touches is gold.
Disma, Incantation, Disciples of Mockery.
reincremate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
China2216 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-22 22:40:48
August 22 2011 22:33 GMT
#206
On August 22 2011 23:23 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
You don't even really make sense in saying "twisted sounding death metal." Malignancy sounds nothing like Ulcerate or that other band you posted. Just brutal death. Ulcerate is a tech/brutal death. I'm pretty sure that other band is too but that last one was awful. No offense but it's not that impressive to be really technical. Lots of bands can do it. This band is pretty generic. There were times where it just sounded like a mess of noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsiyB_XSF7E

I don't really care much for weedly weedly technicality by itself. If I did I would only listen to Necrophagist and Brain Drill or Chopin and Frank Zappa. I didn't mean to lump any of the bands I listed together in the same subgenre or even say that they sounded similar; I was just listing a handful of random death metal bands that personally evoke the same sickening but pleasant feeling that tanngard was saying he gets from Deicide, which is more subjective than anything.

That being said I do listen to Wormed, but I think the 'mess of noise' description fits them as well, except I don't feel it detracts from the music. Songwriting is important and a lot of the time death metal bands just seem to throw together random riffs/ideas with no real coherence, but I really think that whether it sounds good in the end is a hit-and-miss kind of thing and is highly subjective.
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
August 22 2011 23:07 GMT
#207
These guys melt my face right off, listen to some of the blistering guitar solos:


Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-23 03:52:30
August 23 2011 03:49 GMT
#208
I thought the Wormed album was pretty cool. Vox reminded me a little of Demilich.

Check out this album:



More Incantation awesomeness, I love the middle "hey bitch pay attention *snare pop*":



Slime! Almost makes me want green pick ups. It's really fun to play on guitar, just uh...air guitar the solo. >_>



RivetHead
Profile Joined March 2005
United States842 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-23 04:25:26
August 23 2011 04:18 GMT
#209
On August 02 2011 08:06 ZombieNostalgia wrote:
I think the fact that it is Melodic Black Metal makes it a little more confusing but if one listens to enough first/second wave black metal and death metal, you can probably tell the difference. I found myself returning to Storm of Light's Bane today to make sure. It's not too hard to tell. I've almost never heard before this thread any Dissection being labeled as DM.

I don't even see why everyone has to make this an argument. This thread was made to enjoy DM. Let's do that.


According to Dan Swano, who produced those first two albums, Dissection was a pure death metal band. Of course that is simply not true because there obviously a ton of black and thrash metal influences; and they are a pretty singular band with a unique sound.

Anyways here is one of my favorite DM bands, carcass. This is kinda a rarer song, but its one of my favorites:
Carcass - Hepatic Tissue Fermentation II
I *heart* bisu, nada, mind, and the lakers
TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-23 19:58:52
August 23 2011 19:58 GMT
#210
On August 23 2011 08:07 EAGER-beaver wrote:
These guys melt my face right off, listen to some of the blistering guitar solos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky57Jo3-BaU&feature=fvwrel


Much love to this song as well as Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel but let us not be silly ; )
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
BulldogBCN
Profile Joined October 2010
Spain50 Posts
August 25 2011 23:34 GMT
#211
On August 21 2011 19:56 Latedi wrote:

Ooh there seems to be quite some focus on looks there. Personally I couldn't care less though as I think the music matters more. But maybe it's something to think about if you play live or go listen to a concert. I think the singing is a good part because I rarely hear the lyircs in death metal... say I can hear 10%? Then I can hear maybe 25% in deathcore. Well lyrics doesn't really matter if you can't hear what they sing anyway. And about the bands you listed I have been instructed to not listen to some of them xD I think I should keep away.


Thanks for explaining this for me guys


in my experience, the focus on looks is pretty dominant in most metalhead's hating on deathcore (and vice versa, i guess)... sure, people will talk about boring breakdowns and whatnot, but they're really just worried about short hair and hardcore/emo style people in "their" scene.

i don't know... personally, i'll leave all that to the teenagers (no hating/mocking here, this kind of stuff is an important part of forming one's identity) and just listen to the music i like.

i think it's rather silly to absolutely love death metal and absolutely hate deathcore at the same time... after all, these are two pretty similar genres, sometimes even not really distinguishable.
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
August 26 2011 13:24 GMT
#212
The majority of people are hating on the scene and how certain bands cater to the scene. Said bands and especially the scene-oriented fans will move on to something else when it's not popular amongst their peers anymore.

I can't remember what band interview it was but they were comparing US fans to EU fans. The gist of it was in EU the fans are in it for life more or less. They see many of the same people at the gigs they saw 10-15 years ago. Most people at the gig look like they know the songs. But in the US they have to sort of rebuild their fan base every tour. The kids that were at the last show have probably already moved onto another trend even as quick as a year later.
trias_e
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States520 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-26 13:47:00
August 26 2011 13:45 GMT
#213
On August 26 2011 08:34 BulldogBCN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 19:56 Latedi wrote:

Ooh there seems to be quite some focus on looks there. Personally I couldn't care less though as I think the music matters more. But maybe it's something to think about if you play live or go listen to a concert. I think the singing is a good part because I rarely hear the lyircs in death metal... say I can hear 10%? Then I can hear maybe 25% in deathcore. Well lyrics doesn't really matter if you can't hear what they sing anyway. And about the bands you listed I have been instructed to not listen to some of them xD I think I should keep away.


Thanks for explaining this for me guys


in my experience, the focus on looks is pretty dominant in most metalhead's hating on deathcore (and vice versa, i guess)... sure, people will talk about boring breakdowns and whatnot, but they're really just worried about short hair and hardcore/emo style people in "their" scene.

i don't know... personally, i'll leave all that to the teenagers (no hating/mocking here, this kind of stuff is an important part of forming one's identity) and just listen to the music i like.

i think it's rather silly to absolutely love death metal and absolutely hate deathcore at the same time... after all, these are two pretty similar genres, sometimes even not really distinguishable.


I have to disagree with you here. It's cool that you like deathcore, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade. It just for the most part doesn't offer me what I enjoy in death metal.

Examples. I like this:


Not this:


I like this (note some similarities to 'deathcore' here. I find the actual riffs and composition to be far superior however):


Not this:


If you can't tell the difference, then you aren't listening to this music for the same reasons I am. Which is fine, but I wouldn't make blanket statements about what music others should like if you're not in the same framework as others.


pred470r
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Bulgaria3265 Posts
August 26 2011 13:47 GMT
#214
I don't listen to a lot of death metal, I'm more of a thrash fan, but if anyone hasn't heard Amon Amarth he definitely should listen to them. Here are a few songs.


Sojk
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden9 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-26 15:24:22
August 26 2011 15:23 GMT
#215
Anyone heard the new Fleshgod Apocalypse album?

One of the best releases this year, it's very different from their last album but it still slays.
couches
Profile Joined November 2010
618 Posts
August 26 2011 16:17 GMT
#216
On August 26 2011 22:47 pred470r wrote:
I don't listen to a lot of death metal, I'm more of a thrash fan

Check out the new Toxic Holocaust album, it's pretty thrashy. I've really enjoyed most of it.
ZombieNostalgia
Profile Joined March 2011
United States133 Posts
September 01 2011 23:34 GMT
#217
Going back to class has put a limit on my ability to listen to new content lately.
TheBamf
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark366 Posts
September 03 2011 09:55 GMT
#218
Same, I have had a break from listening to a whole lot of DM other than Carcass and Autopsy TBH. Ty for the link it is pretty sweet.
IM.Nestea | IM.MvP | MvP.DongRaeGu. | Genius | ST.Parting I SlayerS.MMA
Fleshcut
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany592 Posts
September 03 2011 12:55 GMT
#219
Guys, guys, guys...
This thread lacks some danish black/death Metal from the one and only PANZERCHRIST!
[The first one is my favorite because of that fucking godly melodic guitar!]
+ Show Spoiler +






DAT Guitarsolo 2:48
Neurosis
Profile Joined October 2010
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 13:39:46
September 03 2011 13:38 GMT
#220
Some of these may have already been posted, haven't checked every single page.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


[image loading]


And imo the best song writers in all of the genre, Immolation and of course Chuck Schuldiner himself.

[image loading]

[image loading]


Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O159
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason98
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1031
ZZZero.O 151
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm95
League of Legends
Doublelift4894
JimRising 620
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby7064
Other Games
summit1g10179
FrodaN3145
KnowMe218
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1049
• Shiphtur156
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
33m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 33m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.