• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:27
CEST 18:27
KST 01:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9540 users

Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion - Page 9385

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9383 9384 9385 9386 9387 10602 Next
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
March 15 2018 19:36 GMT
#187681
On March 16 2018 04:25 Nevuk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 03:17 PassiveAce wrote:
I watched some gameplay vids of boss fights in xenoblades 2 and it looked like the most boring thing on eartb

If you're playing a xeno-game for the combat, you're definitely doing it wrong

Then why does every fight look like it takes 20 minutes lol
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
March 15 2018 19:36 GMT
#187682
On March 16 2018 04:36 PassiveAce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 04:25 Nevuk wrote:
On March 16 2018 03:17 PassiveAce wrote:
I watched some gameplay vids of boss fights in xenoblades 2 and it looked like the most boring thing on eartb

If you're playing a xeno-game for the combat, you're definitely doing it wrong

Then why does every fight look like it takes 20 minutes lol

Because every cutscene is probably 3x as long.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 15 2018 19:38 GMT
#187683
On March 16 2018 04:36 PassiveAce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 04:25 Nevuk wrote:
On March 16 2018 03:17 PassiveAce wrote:
I watched some gameplay vids of boss fights in xenoblades 2 and it looked like the most boring thing on eartb

If you're playing a xeno-game for the combat, you're definitely doing it wrong

Then why does every fight look like it takes 20 minutes lol

#Valueformy$60

Secretly every JRPG is an Ubisoft game without all the map icons.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
March 15 2018 19:38 GMT
#187684
disclaimer is that i've never played any of the games
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 19:40:45
March 15 2018 19:39 GMT
#187685
On March 16 2018 04:33 Nevuk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 04:27 eieio wrote:
On March 16 2018 04:25 Nevuk wrote:
On March 16 2018 03:17 PassiveAce wrote:
I watched some gameplay vids of boss fights in xenoblades 2 and it looked like the most boring thing on eartb

If you're playing a xeno-game for the combat, you're definitely doing it wrong

wait what do you play them for, this is a non-troll question

They tend to have really good stories with some level of philosophical thought. Though they generally get really whacky later on in the game. Xenogears, the first one, has its second disk cover something like 500 years in a really weird story teller mode - they ran out of time in development.

But it's not unusual for them to suddenly change reality in the last 30 minutes or things along those lines. I still want to play xenosaga at some point, but the intro is really slow and it's painfully hard to emulate.

(Xenoblade 1 had very little fanservice lol, no idea about the swords with tits)

I remember liking xenogears but not beating it and thinking xenosaga was dogshit

My favorite jrpg twist is in one of the starocean's where in the last 20% of the game you find out nothing ypuv been doing for the last 100 hours matters because you're all living in the matrix and the matrix is also a gundam
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 19:40:27
March 15 2018 19:39 GMT
#187686
On March 16 2018 04:34 Plansix wrote:
The sad part is that it’s a beautiful game with a grand scope, Anime ass plot with characters that are so extra and passable RPG elements. It’s just that a lot of the lady characters look like were birthed directly from a 14 year boy’s mind.

This actually surprises me, as they had pretty much the least fanservice of any of the normal JRPGs in the ones I played (xenogears + xenoblade 1)`.

lol, I just googled some images. Wow, that's uh. That's almost ar tonelico level of fan service.
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
March 15 2018 19:45 GMT
#187687
I love it and hate it when Japanese games (and manga and anime I guess) devolve into some pseudo-philosophical babble or a mind-bending metaphysical twist at the end. Makes me feel a little less stupid for all the teenage fanservice and absurdly designed swords I witnessed.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
March 15 2018 19:49 GMT
#187688
On March 16 2018 04:45 PhoenixVoid wrote:
I love it and hate it when Japanese games (and manga and anime I guess) devolve into some pseudo-philosophical babble or a mind-bending metaphysical twist at the end. Makes me feel a little less stupid for all the teenage fanservice and absurdly designed swords I witnessed.

Xeno- games are basically the kings of that. I think it's fine as long as it's well known that's what someone is getting into.
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 19:52:35
March 15 2018 19:50 GMT
#187689
Lmao the game has barely any long cutscenes until the end of the games, which was like when they show everything there's to the story and the combat takes 20 minutes at the start, like i said, once you get your party/blades going those get cut a lot.

Also it's your typical Xeno story combining religion/technology/robots and a pretty questionable moral system, and is pretty good.

Seriously give it a good try and the gameplay opens a lot more, i mean, there's people beating the final boss in 12 seconds, i've been farming him a bit and it takes me not that much, it's also a hard game if you don't know what you are doing
Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 15 2018 19:51 GMT
#187690
A good amount of anime is trapped in the 1990 hole that comics used to be in. They pander to the demographic that buys their stuff. Anime video games especially. I still like some anime, like Gundam, IBO, for being super extra melodrama with giant robots. But there isn’t going to be a “Breaking Bad” of anime any times soon.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
March 15 2018 19:53 GMT
#187691
There's also a Karl Marx reference and it's glorious
Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
March 15 2018 19:53 GMT
#187692
On March 16 2018 04:51 Plansix wrote:
A good amount of anime is trapped in the 1990 hole that comics used to be in. They pander to the demographic that buys their stuff. Anime video games especially. I still like some anime, like Gundam, IBO, for being super extra melodrama with giant robots. But there isn’t going to be a “Breaking Bad” of anime any times soon.

Look up darling in the franxx if you want to hate everything
eieio
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States14512 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 20:02:28
March 15 2018 20:00 GMT
#187693
On March 16 2018 04:33 Nevuk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 04:27 eieio wrote:
On March 16 2018 04:25 Nevuk wrote:
On March 16 2018 03:17 PassiveAce wrote:
I watched some gameplay vids of boss fights in xenoblades 2 and it looked like the most boring thing on eartb

If you're playing a xeno-game for the combat, you're definitely doing it wrong

wait what do you play them for, this is a non-troll question

They tend to have really good stories with some level of philosophical thought. Though they generally get really whacky later on in the game. Xenogears, the first one, has its second disk cover something like 500 years in a really weird story teller mode - they ran out of time in development.

But it's not unusual for them to suddenly change reality in the last 30 minutes or things along those lines. I still want to play xenosaga at some point, but the intro is really slow and it's painfully hard to emulate.

(Xenoblade 1 had very little fanservice lol, no idea about the swords with tits)

huh, guessing the series is just not for me because I found the early storyline miserable lol

I guess I can try to push through but I've got so many games to play
On March 16 2018 04:34 TheEmulator wrote:
Witcher 3 combat/gameplay was pretty average but it was one of my favorite games of all time. Considering that eieio also quit that game after a couple of hours I'm just gonna assume he HEAVILY favors good gameplay/combat in his games.

Anyway as for a game like Xenoblade or really any JRPG it's more about the overall experience. You have to enjoy the grind (finding blades, exploring everything, doing side shit). You also have to be able to deal with the fact that it's gonna be kinda anime. I'm sure eieio would hate Persona 5 as well.

I don't mind doing sidequests (ie I've been happy to slowly 100% mario and zelda and Horizon Zero Dawn) and I can find grinding pretty satisfying (HDZ again?) but I agree that WITHOUT an enjoyable gameplay experience that I really enjoy I'm just not willing to put up with it. Guess it's worth noting that while I never got the other endings I loved NieR on my first playthrough because if nothing else trying to do combat w/o ever getting hit was super satisfying. And I loved grinding enemies in that game.

I have been thinking about trying TW3 again, and I will say that I've enjoyed games like The Elder Scrolls series where combat is actually pretty bad but there's enough interaction between different mechanics that I still find it interesting.
LiquidDota Staff
TL+ Member
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
March 15 2018 20:01 GMT
#187694
I used to love jrpgs when i was a kid but now i think almost all of them are garbage. Virtually none of them age well because of their length. Very few have stories that are worth suffering through 60 hours of outdated mindnumbing combat to view.
Even the games with stories i think are super fun or have depth like chrono trigger/cross (respectively) are unplayable to me now.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 15 2018 20:04 GMT
#187695
On March 16 2018 04:53 Nevuk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2018 04:51 Plansix wrote:
A good amount of anime is trapped in the 1990 hole that comics used to be in. They pander to the demographic that buys their stuff. Anime video games especially. I still like some anime, like Gundam, IBO, for being super extra melodrama with giant robots. But there isn’t going to be a “Breaking Bad” of anime any times soon.

Look up darling in the franxx if you want to hate everything

That is some high level mecha trash with some super anime gender roles bullshit. I would need to be drinking if I was going to hate watch that series.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 20:05:19
March 15 2018 20:04 GMT
#187696
I mean, Witcher 3 combat is pretty mediocre all things considered, Ciri parts are cool tho.

Better than Skyrim, but nowhere near Breath of the Wild imo.
Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-03-15 20:05:55
March 15 2018 20:04 GMT
#187697
Witcher 3 rules
General combat is lowkey bad or at best average but the story and exploration is so damn engaging it propels it to greatness imo
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
March 15 2018 20:05 GMT
#187698
A lot of the jrpgs I've played in the last few years I only played because I could fastfoward some of the combat with emulation, I'll admit.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 15 2018 20:21 GMT
#187699
The combat in all of the witcher games has never really been good. Witcher 3 was serviceable, which is all I need out of those games.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Maverick_2009
Profile Joined December 2014
Somewhere2002 Posts
March 15 2018 20:24 GMT
#187700
sure is lively today :D
https://www.twitch.tv/deso_739
Prev 1 9383 9384 9385 9386 9387 10602 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
UpATreeSC 105
BRAT_OK 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4265
Bisu 1848
Soulkey 1459
EffOrt 924
Mini 671
Larva 401
Horang2 375
ZerO 350
actioN 204
ggaemo 175
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 122
Yoon 115
Shinee 101
Mind 94
hero 76
Sharp 70
sorry 61
Snow 51
Barracks 45
Hyun 39
Bale 29
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 22
Terrorterran 21
NaDa 17
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5710
Dendi1324
420jenkins284
XaKoH 140
League of Legends
Reynor72
Counter-Strike
fl0m3555
Fnx 684
x6flipin638
pashabiceps54
edward27
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes380
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1374
hiko981
FrodaN435
B2W.Neo395
Liquid`VortiX218
XBOCT200
Livibee173
QueenE108
TKL 82
Mew2King46
ZerO(Twitch)19
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 38
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV649
League of Legends
• Nemesis3458
• TFBlade787
Other Games
• Shiphtur488
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 33m
Patches Events
23h 33m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.