|
|
I think hero variation in pubgames is the biggest factor by far. Sometimes you get comps that simply wont work based on what people pick, that is more or less autolose. And very often people are more than twice as good on certain heroes than they are on others. I random every AP game and if I get CM or BH I have a pretty good winrate. If I get invoker (I've never played invoker) we are probably fucked.
This goes for a lot of players but it's something the MMR cannot reflect since it makes teams before you pick heroes.
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
377846307
This game made me realise there is more to being a carry then just farming, it made me realise that there are timing windows you have to hit or you lose depending on your heroes, it made me realise how easy it is to throw a game and it made me realise how important positioning is.
I don't envy professional players, this was my first proper scrim where teams were even and the game was decided by decision making, not just who had better mechanics.
http://www.twitch.tv/m/302275
|
On November 11 2013 02:55 Numy wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 02:09 PassiveAce wrote: why do people think that player skill is the sole determinate of who wins a game of all pick.
Anyone who says any variation of "valve made me lose" is just looking for excuses. People think they understand the game more than they do so they draw incorrect conclusions.
Also people don't judge their own or their friends mistakes as harshly because they have more data sets to draw conclusions from. It's too often people see a mistake made by a teamate and just assume he always plays like that, when in reality it was exactly that: a mistake.
|
i dodged laguna with manta yesterday someone vouch me for EEL
|
On November 11 2013 03:05 Najda wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 02:55 Numy wrote:On November 11 2013 02:09 PassiveAce wrote: why do people think that player skill is the sole determinate of who wins a game of all pick.
Anyone who says any variation of "valve made me lose" is just looking for excuses. People think they understand the game more than they do so they draw incorrect conclusions. Also people don't judge their own or their friends mistakes as harshly because they have more data sets to draw conclusions from. It's too often people see a mistake made by a teamate and just assume he always plays like that, when in reality it was exactly that: a mistake.
This would also be a lot easier to understand if the people who does the mistake doesnt go super defensive. Saying "I know, Im sorry. I fucked up" ends the arguements there, compared to "stfu u suck faggot reported".
Another thing im noticing is the incapability to learn from mistakes. One is fine. Two happens. But that 10th time you die because you crossed the river alone, you deserve a "negative comment" for it.
|
On November 11 2013 01:53 Firebolt145 wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 01:47 Animzor wrote:On November 11 2013 01:00 Firebolt145 wrote:On November 11 2013 00:58 Animzor wrote:On November 11 2013 00:21 SKC wrote:On November 11 2013 00:17 renkin wrote: I have a serious question.
You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.
I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.
My question is, why are those games so rare ? I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ? You can have the same 10 people play another game and it end up being a one sided stomp. It happens on tournament finals, each teams stomps each other and then they have an epic game, followed by another stomp. People love to blame the matchmaking for everything, but it really is just how the game works. It's not though, the matchmaking often forces a win or a loss by matching players with massive experience disparities. If the game decides that it's time to lose, I will end up on a team with very little games played while the other team is the opposite. The game does not decide 'it's time to make this person win/lose'. Please stop spreading this. I think you're the one spreading lies. ... OK. See what I mean?
It doesn't matter how much you will try explaining things to people - ignorance is bliss.
|
The amount of work to create a system that deliberately gives people losses without being super obvious about it would probably require more work and precision than a matchmaking system with a goal of even games. It actually annoys me that people think that a company would do this by design, as it benefits nobody.
|
![[image loading]](https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYurnzWCEAAn0-4.png:large)
g-league qualifier bracket
|
No Na'Vi? Are they already qualified?
|
no na'vi or liquid. :/ Guess they must have had schedule problems
|
|
|
On November 11 2013 03:32 Najda wrote: The amount of work to create a system that deliberately gives people losses without being super obvious about it would probably require more work and precision than a matchmaking system with a goal of even games. It actually annoys me that people think that a company would do this by design, as it benefits nobody.
Most bigger games that have matchmaking match you up against players that are better or worse than you are. If you lose a couple of games in a row you get easier opponents, if you win a couple of games in a row you get harder opponents, if you are not at the very top you will get opponents that have different skill levels all the time. It is not designed to make someone lose rather to test and verify his current ranking. So if you overperform for a couple of games it is likely that you will lose at some point, not only, but also because of the matchmaking.
|
On November 11 2013 03:55 idonthinksobro wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 03:32 Najda wrote: The amount of work to create a system that deliberately gives people losses without being super obvious about it would probably require more work and precision than a matchmaking system with a goal of even games. It actually annoys me that people think that a company would do this by design, as it benefits nobody. Most bigger games that have matchmaking match you up against players that are better or worse than you are. If you lose a couple of games in a row you get easier opponents, if you win a couple of games in a row you get harder opponents, if you are not at the very top you will get opponents that have different skill levels all the time. It is not designed to make someone lose rather to test and verify his current ranking. So if you overperform for a couple of games it is likely that you will lose at some point, not only, but also because of the matchmaking. That's kinda the point. Some people believe the system changes your opponents or allies, not your own ranks, to force you to lose. It's the diference between putting you with and against better players, and putting you with worse allies versus better players to force you to lose after a winning streak. Which makes no sense.
|
On November 11 2013 03:59 SKC wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 03:55 idonthinksobro wrote:On November 11 2013 03:32 Najda wrote: The amount of work to create a system that deliberately gives people losses without being super obvious about it would probably require more work and precision than a matchmaking system with a goal of even games. It actually annoys me that people think that a company would do this by design, as it benefits nobody. Most bigger games that have matchmaking match you up against players that are better or worse than you are. If you lose a couple of games in a row you get easier opponents, if you win a couple of games in a row you get harder opponents, if you are not at the very top you will get opponents that have different skill levels all the time. It is not designed to make someone lose rather to test and verify his current ranking. So if you overperform for a couple of games it is likely that you will lose at some point, not only, but also because of the matchmaking. That's kinda the point. Some people believe the system changes your opponents or allies, not your own ranks, to force you to lose. It's the diference between putting you with and against better players, and putting you with worse allies versus better players to force you to lose after a winning streak. Which makes no sense. The game can't force you to lose and I don't think it gives you worse allies. If it puts you against harder opponents and you lose, there is only room to improve. Even if your opponents have more experience than you, that does mean the game made you lose.
|
On November 11 2013 04:09 Plansix wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 03:59 SKC wrote:On November 11 2013 03:55 idonthinksobro wrote:On November 11 2013 03:32 Najda wrote: The amount of work to create a system that deliberately gives people losses without being super obvious about it would probably require more work and precision than a matchmaking system with a goal of even games. It actually annoys me that people think that a company would do this by design, as it benefits nobody. Most bigger games that have matchmaking match you up against players that are better or worse than you are. If you lose a couple of games in a row you get easier opponents, if you win a couple of games in a row you get harder opponents, if you are not at the very top you will get opponents that have different skill levels all the time. It is not designed to make someone lose rather to test and verify his current ranking. So if you overperform for a couple of games it is likely that you will lose at some point, not only, but also because of the matchmaking. That's kinda the point. Some people believe the system changes your opponents or allies, not your own ranks, to force you to lose. It's the diference between putting you with and against better players, and putting you with worse allies versus better players to force you to lose after a winning streak. Which makes no sense. The game can't force you to lose and I don't think it gives you worse allies. If it puts you against harder opponents and you lose, there is only room to improve. Even if your opponents have more experience than you, that does mean the game made you lose.
It's not forcing you to lose, your mmr is just inflated slightly because you've been performing well. If you've improved, you can maintain that new mmr by playing consistantly.
What I hear people saying are things long the lines of: I won 8 games in a row so now valve gives me terrible teammates the next bunch of games to even my winrate. This is obviously not the case however.
|
Looks like you guys are pretty sensible about determined MM. If you are suspicious of this, why don't you track your winrate variation after each game, and compare it to the the players you played with and against ? If the system is effectively making you win or loose, your winrate shouldn't exceed nor go below a certain percentage. That would explain this picture + Show Spoiler +
Well regardless of that I still don't know what I to do to get more exeptional games, hell listening to you guys I don't even know if it's actually possible.
If what I understand of MMR in Dota2 is exact, the best way would be to find 4 players at the same level as me and play exclusively as a 5 member team... Which leads me to a stupid looking question but still important, does team games have more potential for memorable games ?
|
Lalalaland34507 Posts
On November 11 2013 04:45 renkin wrote:Looks like you guys are pretty sensible about determined MM. If you are suspicious of this, why don't you track your winrate variation after each game, and compare it to the the players you played with and against ? If the system is effectively making you win or loose, your winrate shouldn't exceed nor go below a certain percentage. That would explain this picture + Show Spoiler +Well regardless of that I still don't know what I to do to get more exeptional games, hell listening to you guys I don't even know if it's actually possible.If what I understand of MMR in Dota2 is exact, the best way would be to find 4 players at the same level as me and play exclusively as a 5 member team... Which leads me to a stupid looking question but still important, does team games have more potential for memorable games ? Let me tell you something that will blow your mind.
Win rate means next to nothing about how good of a player you are.
|
On November 11 2013 04:45 renkin wrote: If what I understand of MMR in Dota2 is exact, the best way would be to find 4 players at the same level as me and play exclusively as a 5 member team... Which leads me to a stupid looking question but still important, does team games have more potential for memorable games ?
I have many more memorable games playing SC2. Namely games where I come back from a huge deficit after having been cheesed or something similar. Comebacks are extremely enjoyable, and in SC2 you have the benefit of being solely responsible for it.
My most memorable dota game is a similar story, my whole team quits and I went on to win 1v5 as meepo.
|
On November 11 2013 04:50 Firebolt145 wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 04:45 renkin wrote:Looks like you guys are pretty sensible about determined MM. If you are suspicious of this, why don't you track your winrate variation after each game, and compare it to the the players you played with and against ? If the system is effectively making you win or loose, your winrate shouldn't exceed nor go below a certain percentage. That would explain this picture + Show Spoiler +Well regardless of that I still don't know what I to do to get more exeptional games, hell listening to you guys I don't even know if it's actually possible.If what I understand of MMR in Dota2 is exact, the best way would be to find 4 players at the same level as me and play exclusively as a 5 member team... Which leads me to a stupid looking question but still important, does team games have more potential for memorable games ? Let me tell you something that will blow your mind. Win rate means next to nothing about how good of a player you are.
Only about how hard you try!
|
United Kingdom14103 Posts
On November 11 2013 04:50 Firebolt145 wrote:Show nested quote +On November 11 2013 04:45 renkin wrote:Looks like you guys are pretty sensible about determined MM. If you are suspicious of this, why don't you track your winrate variation after each game, and compare it to the the players you played with and against ? If the system is effectively making you win or loose, your winrate shouldn't exceed nor go below a certain percentage. That would explain this picture + Show Spoiler +Well regardless of that I still don't know what I to do to get more exeptional games, hell listening to you guys I don't even know if it's actually possible.If what I understand of MMR in Dota2 is exact, the best way would be to find 4 players at the same level as me and play exclusively as a 5 member team... Which leads me to a stupid looking question but still important, does team games have more potential for memorable games ? Let me tell you something that will blow your mind. Win rate means next to nothing about how good of a player you are. #sub 50 gaming
|
|
|
|
|
|