• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:27
CEST 04:27
KST 11:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8930 users

General Discussion - Page 4314

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Kaniol
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Poland5551 Posts
November 10 2013 13:22 GMT
#86261
On November 10 2013 22:04 Testuser wrote:
I think ARTS is a pretty shitty genre name, haha.
Action Real Time Strategy? Lol, what's that supposed to define?

Every RTS game >>

The main flaw of ARTS to me is that the acronym sounds too much like a very common english word, moba may be ugly but at least does not cause any confusion
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
November 10 2013 13:31 GMT
#86262
Why not Action RPG? Seems more logical than Action RTS ...
Bora Pain minha porra!
idonthinksobro
Profile Joined December 2010
3138 Posts
November 10 2013 13:35 GMT
#86263
On November 10 2013 22:31 Sbrubbles wrote:
Why not Action RPG? Seems more logical than Action RTS ...


Action RPG = Hack n Slay
Witten
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2094 Posts
November 10 2013 13:40 GMT
#86264
Why don't we just call it DotA.

checkmate
Brood War Forever / NA's premiere Shadow Shaman player / Courier Collector / Bot Game Champion / Highly amateur Mystical Ninja Goemon Speedrunner
SilverStar
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden18511 Posts
November 10 2013 13:57 GMT
#86265
On November 10 2013 22:40 Witten wrote:
Why don't we just call it DotA.

checkmate

Dota-genre. GG
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
November 10 2013 14:07 GMT
#86266
Hero Organized Base Onslaught

HOBO
dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
makmeatt
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
2024 Posts
November 10 2013 14:10 GMT
#86267
On November 10 2013 22:57 SilverStar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 22:40 Witten wrote:
Why don't we just call it DotA.

checkmate

Dota-genre. GG

LoL is LoL, DotA is DotA, HoN is HoN etc. Same will come around for HotS. It's not like there's an abundance of titles around that could be put in the same basket as the first three, so I honestly do not understand why do people try so hard to classify these games with one term.
"Silver Edge can't break my hope" - Kryptt 2016 || "Chrono is not a debuff, you just get rekt" - Guru 2016
Jinxed
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States6450 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 14:13:28
November 10 2013 14:10 GMT
#86268
personally the suugestion of aeon of strife styled fortress assault game going on two sides always appealed to me. It is even a pretty good acronym and sums up the way most people in this discussion are acting quite nicely. Seriously the vast majority of people don't care in the least. Dota is still Dota and it really doesn't matter what the genre is called.
LiquidDota Staff"LeLoup is a great name pls undo." -Liquid`Nazgul
dismiss
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom3341 Posts
November 10 2013 14:11 GMT
#86269
What was the full acronym for ASSFAGGOTS again? We should just call it that, because quite frankly, the discussion is pretty stupid. ~.~
Failure to improve posting standards will result in a lengthy ban. I <crms_> !dumb <GeoffAnderson> crmsdota <crms_> damnit
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
November 10 2013 14:16 GMT
#86270
On November 10 2013 23:11 dismiss wrote:
What was the full acronym for ASSFAGGOTS again? We should just call it that, because quite frankly, the discussion is pretty stupid. ~.~

And one post above yours is...
dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
dismiss
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom3341 Posts
November 10 2013 14:36 GMT
#86271
Ah, he posted while I was posting, so I didn't see it. ~.~
Failure to improve posting standards will result in a lengthy ban. I <crms_> !dumb <GeoffAnderson> crmsdota <crms_> damnit
renkin
Profile Joined July 2010
France249 Posts
November 10 2013 15:17 GMT
#86272
I have a serious question.

You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.

I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.

My question is, why are those games so rare ?
I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ?
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
November 10 2013 15:19 GMT
#86273
The reason they feel good is because they're so rare. If every game was like that we'd get used to it and they'd become the norm.

A good portion of my played games are 'good' games and they make this game still worth playing. Every now and then I get a beauty of a game which sticks in my mind but that's like a cherry on top.
Moderator
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
November 10 2013 15:21 GMT
#86274
On November 11 2013 00:17 renkin wrote:
I have a serious question.

You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.

I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.

My question is, why are those games so rare ?
I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ?

You can have the same 10 people play another game and it end up being a one sided stomp. It happens on tournament finals, each teams stomps each other and then they have an epic game, followed by another stomp.

People love to blame the matchmaking for everything, but it really is just how the game works.
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
November 10 2013 15:22 GMT
#86275
It also depends a lot on what heroes you play. Certain heroes make certain people feel good, if you find that hero and have a good game with it, it will almost always be a one to remember.
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
Mithhaike
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Singapore2759 Posts
November 10 2013 15:39 GMT
#86276
It definitely also depend on how the game played out, comebacks are always memorable, or games where you were just pretty much unstoppable.

Reminds me of my recent game as TA(first in 6months, randomed it) where I was worried about if i can play it well. Ended up being a badass and singlehandedly won the game. /subtlebrag
Mew Mew Pew Pew
Mataza
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Germany5364 Posts
November 10 2013 15:54 GMT
#86277
On November 11 2013 00:22 Qbek wrote:
It also depends a lot on what heroes you play. Certain heroes make certain people feel good, if you find that hero and have a good game with it, it will almost always be a one to remember.

Sounds kinda suggestive.
If nobody hates you, you´re doing something wrong. However someone hating you doesn´t make you right
Animzor
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2154 Posts
November 10 2013 15:58 GMT
#86278
On November 11 2013 00:21 SKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2013 00:17 renkin wrote:
I have a serious question.

You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.

I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.

My question is, why are those games so rare ?
I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ?

You can have the same 10 people play another game and it end up being a one sided stomp. It happens on tournament finals, each teams stomps each other and then they have an epic game, followed by another stomp.

People love to blame the matchmaking for everything, but it really is just how the game works.


It's not though, the matchmaking often forces a win or a loss by matching players with massive experience disparities. If the game decides that it's time to lose, I will end up on a team with very little games played while the other team is the opposite.
SilverStar
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden18511 Posts
November 10 2013 16:00 GMT
#86279
On November 11 2013 00:58 Animzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2013 00:21 SKC wrote:
On November 11 2013 00:17 renkin wrote:
I have a serious question.

You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.

I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.

My question is, why are those games so rare ?
I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ?

You can have the same 10 people play another game and it end up being a one sided stomp. It happens on tournament finals, each teams stomps each other and then they have an epic game, followed by another stomp.

People love to blame the matchmaking for everything, but it really is just how the game works.


It's not though, the matchmaking often forces a win or a loss by matching players with massive experience disparities. If the game decides that it's time to lose, I will end up on a team with very little games played while the other team is the opposite.

Eh no. That's your perception. It's basically the same in cs. You just have some people that are worse but had a good run so the game rates them higher. People dont perform on the same level every game.
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
November 10 2013 16:00 GMT
#86280
On November 11 2013 00:58 Animzor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2013 00:21 SKC wrote:
On November 11 2013 00:17 renkin wrote:
I have a serious question.

You guys know, sometimes, you play a game that you remember for weeks ? A game were the stars were perfectly aligned. The only reason for you to push the find match button is to play another match like this one. I know I did.

I always wondered why, out of all the hours I've put in Dota, I only truly enjoyed maybe 5 or 10 games. That's a very low ratio, like 1 or 2 out of 10 and it's a shame.

My question is, why are those games so rare ?
I think we can safely rule out that the player pool isn't large enough... So is it a matchmaking problem ?

You can have the same 10 people play another game and it end up being a one sided stomp. It happens on tournament finals, each teams stomps each other and then they have an epic game, followed by another stomp.

People love to blame the matchmaking for everything, but it really is just how the game works.


It's not though, the matchmaking often forces a win or a loss by matching players with massive experience disparities. If the game decides that it's time to lose, I will end up on a team with very little games played while the other team is the opposite.

The game does not decide 'it's time to make this person win/lose'. Please stop spreading this.
Moderator
Prev 1 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1901
GuemChi 1513
Artosis 618
910 69
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
Bale 20
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm192
febbydoto5
Counter-Strike
taco 499
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox556
Other Games
summit1g7487
Doublelift2002
JimRising 594
C9.Mang0362
Day[9].tv343
PiGStarcraft286
Maynarde123
CosmosSc2 23
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1026
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv343
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 34m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
8h 34m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
21h 34m
Patches Events
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.