|
|
On November 10 2013 09:13 FinestHour wrote: are u actually going to tell us how every game goes cuz i mean
Well the discussion before was about if/when EE was going to get kicked from his team. I don't think I derailed much.
|
Czech Republic18921 Posts
So I just watched 2 games in WCS and I wouldn't even know what teams the players are playing for. That's really strange... I mean even the names just say "Jaedong" and not "EG.Jaedong", even the casters don't mention the team names. I absolutely don't get it... why would Blizzard not want to give exposure to teams that support people who play their game? I would understand if it's a "private" event and they wan to maximize their own sponsors, but WCS is purely a Blizzard event, isn't it? Compared to Valve's approach with TI, where you even have the sponsor logos inside the game and Valve even list them on the official team profiles. It's a completely different mindset.
|
???? thats a really weird complaint cuz theres been plenty of public hype that jaedong is on eg rofl
|
On November 10 2013 09:32 FinestHour wrote: ???? thats a really weird complaint cuz theres been plenty of public hype that jaedong is on eg rofl
Thats not what he means at all. Blizzcon attracts a ton of random audience who might never have seen sc2 before. Why would you not let them know which team the players are from, and why would you diminish the sponsorship value by not covering them on the biggest event of the year? Its detrimental to the scene as a whole.
|
Czech Republic18921 Posts
Yeah, I know Jaedong is on EG, but I still don't know what team SOS is on after watching around 40 minutes of the tournament. That is mindblowing, if you think about it.. I mean, it's the biggest event of the year, so there will be a ton of people watching that don't normally watch SC2 and you don't even make the effort to let them know who sponsors one of the best players.
|
a simple google search on their phone or tablet or when they get home can answer what team they are on and who sponsors them lmfao
i dont even like blizzard but are u really nitpicking this
|
United Kingdom24425 Posts
On November 10 2013 09:30 cecek wrote: So I just watched 2 games in WCS and I wouldn't even know what teams the players are playing for. That's really strange... I mean even the names just say "Jaedong" and not "EG.Jaedong", even the casters don't mention the team names. I absolutely don't get it... why would Blizzard not want to give exposure to teams that support people who play their game? I would understand if it's a "private" event and they wan to maximize their own sponsors, but WCS is purely a Blizzard event, isn't it? Compared to Valve's approach with TI, where you even have the sponsor logos inside the game and Valve even list them on the official team profiles. It's a completely different mindset. It was the same last year. You could see the teams only because it was using the standard playernames overlay. On the actual overlays made by Blizzard they didn't have team names. On November 10 2013 09:37 FinestHour wrote: a simple google search on their phone or tablet or when they get home can answer what team they are on and who sponsors them lmfao
i dont even like blizzard but are u really nitpicking this That's hardly nitpicking when it's the biggest event of the year for the game and team names aren't even included. I think the incentive for teams to have a bunch of starcraft players is low enough because fans rarely gain an affinity for a team based on solo players as they do in team games and when players leave the team is really left with very little. Unlike team games where SK will always be a big name because of CS, will it be a big name in SC if MC leaves? Not really, people don't care that he's on SK. There's of course the exceptions like TL and EG but they are special cases, EG because of all their 'personalities' and TL because of the website. I mean they really should do everything they can, and that's like a basic thing.
If you listen to like SirScoots when he was still on EG talk about what was done in terms of representing teams for TI it's something that teams do (and should) really care about.
And, not surprisingly, it's something that the D2L run by EG does very well. So teams obviously care. But I personally don't care what team he's on as a very casual SC2 viewer. That's not because I already know, it's because I just don't care what team a solo player represents. Maybe that's because I don't care for SC2, but I didn't really care about teams in WC3 which I followed a lot more either. (okay maybe I cared a bit about KoD as I was an Axslav fan and would download replays from there)
|
Czech Republic18921 Posts
How am I nitpicking? Literally the most important thing in esports and advertisement and sponsorships. And Blizzard actively tries to minimize the amount of exposure the sponsor of the players competing get. And asking the watcher to google the sponsors? You can't be serious.
|
On November 10 2013 09:37 FinestHour wrote: a simple google search on their phone or tablet or when they get home can answer what team they are on and who sponsors them lmfao
i dont even like blizzard but are u really nitpicking this
Im sure all those random people who accidently tune into the stream goes "I need to google the sponsors of this team's player!".
Seriously, you don't need to be a fucking genius to see why this is bad for the scene. Brands sponsor teams not out of kindness, but because they expect exposure. If they are refused coverage at the biggest event of the year, they will substantially lower their sponsoring money or just not bother altogether. This is true for any sport in the entire world. What do you think formula 1 would look like today if ads and team names where banned during Monte Carlo?
|
im sure u can make a thread about the way blizzard does things vs the way valve does things and argue there why are you trying to discuss the way blizzard does things in a dota thread im sure u can find plenty of people to argue with that actually care
thats my real question i mean just enjoy the grand final games or dont
|
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Is this the new trend to just say nothing should be talked about in the GD? Well at least it wasn't me this time.
|
i agree with the above, you can make a separate thread about this but it really seems like you're nitpicking just for the sake of hating on the way Blizzard does things which i could not give a single shit about.
|
a complaint about how blizzard does things compared to how valve does things at a blizzard event really should be in the sc2 section so people that are more invested can actually have a discussion otherwise imo it shouldnt be here cuz you have some random small out of nowhere complaint you have about a decently fine event
|
On November 10 2013 09:53 FinestHour wrote: im sure u can make a thread about the way blizzard does things vs the way valve does things and argue there why are you trying to discuss the way blizzard does things in a dota thread im sure u can find plenty of people to argue with that actually care
thats my real question i mean just enjoy the grand final games or dont
On November 10 2013 09:56 Kuroeeah wrote: i agree with the above, you can make a separate thread about this but it really seems like you're nitpicking just for the sake of hating on the way Blizzard does things which i could not give a single shit about.
Funny. The people who doesn't give a shit are the same people who doesn't see the problem..
I agree this isn't the thread for it though. I just jumped on it when someone mentioned it. Dota 2 doesn't have this problem, and thank Valve for that.
|
Czech Republic18921 Posts
Yeah, because all the GD discussions are completely on topic. Jesus, sometimes people don't even talk about video games here. I wrote something that is about both SC2 and Dota 2 and it doesn't belong here? Come on... And saying that it's a minor issue and nitpicking is super ridiculous.
|
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Well, this is going to keep on happening, why don't we have a second GD that is just 'general discussion for the tl dota community', or like 'off-topic'. Because I do think there's a difference as someone who rarely goes into the other subforums. And then we can easily say 'this isn't directly related to the game, this goes in that other thread'.
Because this sort of 'well there are sort of rules there sort of aren't', is just annoying. And it's easy for me to skip past posts I don't care about like someone playing Ench for the first time, but it obviously isn't for others.
|
other subforums have a thread exactly like that its a good idea doesnt have to be a mod or anything that makes it
ok go post in it
|
On November 10 2013 09:44 cecek wrote: How am I nitpicking? Literally the most important thing in esports and advertisement and sponsorships. And Blizzard actively tries to minimize the amount of exposure the sponsor of the players competing get. And asking the watcher to google the sponsors? You can't be serious. At least you can still see the team tshirt with all the team's sponsors on it. Compared to a lot of dota2 tournaments, all you can see is a team logo ingame, not the players' faces, team sponsors, merchandise.v.v.. That was way worse for teams.
These kind of stuff are varied from tournaments to tournaments, just because blizzcon don't do it doesn't make it worse. They want to promote the game, the player, not the team. If a completely new person watch the game, he has more things to worry than which team the dude is playing for.
|
On November 10 2013 10:32 canikizu wrote:Show nested quote +On November 10 2013 09:44 cecek wrote: How am I nitpicking? Literally the most important thing in esports and advertisement and sponsorships. And Blizzard actively tries to minimize the amount of exposure the sponsor of the players competing get. And asking the watcher to google the sponsors? You can't be serious. At least you can still see the team tshirt with all the team's sponsors on it. Compared to a lot of dota2 tournaments, all you can see is a team logo ingame, not the players' faces, team sponsors, merchandise.v.v.. That was way worse for teams. These kind of stuff are varied from tournaments to tournaments, just because blizzcon don't do it doesn't make it worse. They want to promote the game, the player, not the team. If a completely new person watch the game, he has more things to worry than which team the dude is playing for.
I believe teams have ingame banners with sponsor logos on them in dota?
|
hello i made the off topic thread u can talk about it there
|
|
|
|
|
|