• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:20
CEST 23:20
KST 06:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8625 users

General Discussion - Page 4304

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Darkren
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1841 Posts
November 08 2013 23:51 GMT
#86061
Diretide coming
"Yeah, I send (hopefully) helpful PM's quite frequently. You don't have to warn/ban everything" - KadaverBB
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
November 08 2013 23:52 GMT
#86062
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D
super gg
Kishin2
Profile Joined May 2011
United States7534 Posts
November 08 2013 23:53 GMT
#86063
That hat update from Valve was still pretty hilarious.
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
November 08 2013 23:53 GMT
#86064
the people wanted diretide
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 08 2013 23:53 GMT
#86065
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.
Moderator
Kirsed
Profile Joined May 2013
9381 Posts
November 08 2013 23:54 GMT
#86066
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D


Have you read their company handbook or whatever? They don't have managers or really any corporate structure at all.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
November 08 2013 23:56 GMT
#86067
After reading valve's apology i just feel even worse for valve.

>Community whines about no updates
>Work on huge update and don't have time for diretide
>Community whines about no diretide and harasses valve and other people
>Valve actually goes ahead and starts working on diretide + new update

And as mentioned above, yeah, people at valve don't on something specifically, their desks can be moved around to work on whatever, one week you might work on a project with people in TF2 and the next week you might be helping out with DotA2 stuff. They have a very weird working structure but it seems to work seeing that everyone who works there seems to love it.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
canikizu
Profile Joined September 2010
4860 Posts
November 08 2013 23:56 GMT
#86068
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D

You never know what Valve thinks lol. They may genuinely be surprised about people reaction to Diretide, or they may think "So Halloween is over, other games' special events were over, let's roll Diretide out now and make people flock back to our game and get all da money."

Either way, this means that new patch is approaching soon. There's no way they drag this mess for couple more months or something, noone would care about Diretide at that time anymore.
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
November 08 2013 23:56 GMT
#86069
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D
The way I see Valve is that because of the way they are structured you have to be somewhat lucky for them to work on the things which you care about in the game.

For example if they didn't have the bot guy, someone else probably would have done some work on the bots, but not nearly to the same degree because no one is telling someone to do that and to finish it. That last point is important because we have features like TMM or like before the Hall of Fame which are just things that are thrown in there and clear that no one is really working on those aspects of the game.

And Diretide is similar. If people are busy working on other shit there's no manager there to say "we need to release this or we need to supplement this with something else or announce we won't."
Once you Goblak...
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
November 08 2013 23:56 GMT
#86070
On November 09 2013 08:53 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.

That actually makes a lot of sense. They're putting a lot of emphasis on the lore thing with all the famous characters. Didn't really occur to me that they're mainly aiming at fans of their other games before.
super gg
Darkren
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1841 Posts
November 08 2013 23:57 GMT
#86071
On November 09 2013 08:54 kirsed wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D


Have you read their company handbook or whatever? They don't have managers or really any corporate structure at all.


Probably bunch of drunk guys around a table throwing bear and eating ramen while planning for new hats
"Yeah, I send (hopefully) helpful PM's quite frequently. You don't have to warn/ban everything" - KadaverBB
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 00:00:29
November 08 2013 23:58 GMT
#86072
On November 09 2013 08:53 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.

That actually makes a lot of sense. They're putting a lot of emphasis on the lore thing with all the famous characters. Didn't really occur to me that they're mainly aiming at fans of their other games before.

Also, wonder what the "pretty significant" update is. I hope it's map editor, custom games support. Or maybe it's something to do with matchmaking, or finally a tutor system. (the greyed out "play with a mentor" button has been in the game for quite a while now)

e: shit, quoted myself instead of editing.
super gg
Kishin2
Profile Joined May 2011
United States7534 Posts
November 08 2013 23:59 GMT
#86073
I do like that they've decided to strip out a lot of mechanics in the game though to make it more in like with the idea, "Simple to learn, difficult to master." The problem I have with removing last hitting is that it takes away so much potential for players to express themselves in the game. I hope they make other aspects of the game more dynamic as a result.
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 00:03:20
November 09 2013 00:00 GMT
#86074
On November 09 2013 08:53 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.
This is considering that they will have similar roles as they do have in WoW. Because in Dota we don't have that.

I mean in WoW you have tanks/dps/healers. And (at least in Vanilla when I played) you could say that CC was a role.

Tanks and healers are things we don't really have in Dota. I mean if we look at the heroes which have heals they don't play 'like a healer' in the same sense as a healer in WoW. And well tanks aren't much of a concept in WoW PVP either.

It could be interesting if they do reinforce those roles in a Dota-like game. But who knows, I don't think they will.

~

Again I think I'd be more interested if this is more a bunch of mini-games than if they do something that's more like Dota, which from the descriptions it seems in-between. Because I don't think you can have a really stripped down version of Dota really work, it won't have the longevity. (and LoL, for all the complaints, even as someone who doesn't play it I can see it isn't 'that' stripped down)
Once you Goblak...
canikizu
Profile Joined September 2010
4860 Posts
November 09 2013 00:06 GMT
#86075
On November 09 2013 08:54 kirsed wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D


Have you read their company handbook or whatever? They don't have managers or really any corporate structure at all.

That just means they have one big ass raid boss to order them around, not means they can do whatever the they want and got paid for it.
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
November 09 2013 00:07 GMT
#86076
On November 09 2013 09:00 teapoted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:53 TheYango wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.
This is considering that they will have similar roles as they do have in WoW. Because in Dota we don't have that.

I mean in WoW you have tanks/dps/healers. And (at least in Vanilla when I played) you could say that CC was a role.

Tanks and healers are things we don't really have in Dota. I mean if we look at the heroes which have heals they don't play 'like a healer' in the same sense as a healer in WoW. And well tanks aren't much of a concept in WoW PVP either.

It could be interesting if they do reinforce those roles in a Dota-like game. But who knows, I don't think they will.

~

Again I think I'd be more interested if this is more a bunch of mini-games than if they do something that's more like Dota, which from the descriptions it seems in-between. Because I don't think you can have a really stripped down version of Dota really work, it won't have the longevity. (and LoL, for all the complaints, even as someone who doesn't play it I can see it isn't 'that' stripped down)

I don't think MMO roles would work at all in a hero brawler (gotta give the term a shot) game. The entire tank class is based around aggro, which just doesn't work if the enemy is a human and not an AI.
Also, I don't think it would even be such a good idea. I think you would either have to have a super rigid system, where it straight up didn't allow you to pick 5 healers for example, or it would cause a huge amount of rage if something like that happened.
super gg
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 00:10:39
November 09 2013 00:08 GMT
#86077
On November 09 2013 09:06 canikizu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 08:54 kirsed wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D


Have you read their company handbook or whatever? They don't have managers or really any corporate structure at all.

That just means they have one big ass raid boss to order them around, not means they can do whatever the they want and got paid for it.
Well they won't do whatever they want because the company wouldn't hire someone who would do that. Valve's an enormously wealthy company with a relatively tiny staff. If people don't manage themselves then that system wouldn't work. (And in some instances it doesn't)
Once you Goblak...
teapoted
Profile Joined August 2012
United Kingdom24425 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 00:11:18
November 09 2013 00:09 GMT
#86078
On November 09 2013 09:07 cecek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 09:00 teapoted wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:53 TheYango wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:44 cecek wrote:
What I mean is, I think they took all the stuff (items, lasthits, etc.) away, because it makes the game seem more complex and harder to get into. (that might be wrong, it's just my assumption) And they keep the hero "roles" in. I mean, if I wanted to make the dota genre more casual friendly, role differentiation would be one of the first things out. Especially before items and the gold system altogether.

I dunno if that actually makes sense.

If you bear in mind the audience that Blizzard's been working with for years now (namely the WoW crowd), role differentiation really is not unintuitive or difficult a concept for them in the slightest. Of all the concepts in the genre, that one will be quite familiar to them.
This is considering that they will have similar roles as they do have in WoW. Because in Dota we don't have that.

I mean in WoW you have tanks/dps/healers. And (at least in Vanilla when I played) you could say that CC was a role.

Tanks and healers are things we don't really have in Dota. I mean if we look at the heroes which have heals they don't play 'like a healer' in the same sense as a healer in WoW. And well tanks aren't much of a concept in WoW PVP either.

It could be interesting if they do reinforce those roles in a Dota-like game. But who knows, I don't think they will.

~

Again I think I'd be more interested if this is more a bunch of mini-games than if they do something that's more like Dota, which from the descriptions it seems in-between. Because I don't think you can have a really stripped down version of Dota really work, it won't have the longevity. (and LoL, for all the complaints, even as someone who doesn't play it I can see it isn't 'that' stripped down)

I don't think MMO roles would work at all in a hero brawler (gotta give the term a shot) game. The entire tank class is based around aggro, which just doesn't work if the enemy is a human and not an AI.
Also, I don't think it would even be such a good idea. I think you would either have to have a super rigid system, where it straight up didn't allow you to pick 5 healers for example, or it would cause a huge amount of rage if something like that happened.
Again doesn't LoL already have that sort of forced meta thing going on? I at least feel like I keep on hearing people complain about it.

And yeah tanks don't really make sense. I mean you could make a character which acts like a tank such as Axe but it's not really the same thing.

hero brawler (gotta give the term a shot) game
And it was never said again...
Once you Goblak...
cecek
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Czech Republic18921 Posts
November 09 2013 00:14 GMT
#86079
I never played lol, but form what I've heard it's kind of like that, but there isn't a system that enforces it.

Btw, how often do you write something and not edit it 20 seconds later to add something? :D
super gg
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
November 09 2013 00:14 GMT
#86080
On November 09 2013 09:08 teapoted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 09:06 canikizu wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:54 kirsed wrote:
On November 09 2013 08:52 cecek wrote:
The inner workings of Valve are like the biggest mystery to me. Reading this blog without context, I would guess Valve is a 5 man indie developer company talking about their first PC game, but they're one of the biggest companies in the business. :D


Have you read their company handbook or whatever? They don't have managers or really any corporate structure at all.

That just means they have one big ass raid boss to order them around, not means they can do whatever the they want and got paid for it.
Well they won't do whatever they want because the company wouldn't hire someone who would do that. Valve's an enormously wealthy company with a relatively tiny staff. If people don't manage themselves then that system wouldn't work. (And in some instances it doesn't)


Yeah. They still have staff managers (Gaben is presumably one of them), and they have fired people before, sometimes really high profile people as well. You're expected to work on stuff, but you will have absolutely no oversight over what you're actually working on. No business manager will be whining on you to "We need a new AAA game, preferably with either "revelations" or "origins" in the title, and finish it within a year. New IP?! GET OUT!" *cough EA cough*

Their handbook stated something like: "You have no boss, and Gabe Newell is your biggest not boss"
Prev 1 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 239
Nina 119
SteadfastSC 111
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2402
910 61
Bale 13
Super Smash Bros
PPMD52
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1237
Other Games
summit1g6676
Grubby2364
shahzam620
C9.Mang0209
UpATreeSC58
Liquid`Ken1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 71
• Hupsaiya 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 33
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21248
Other Games
• imaqtpie951
• Shiphtur286
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 40m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 40m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
13h 40m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.