• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:00
CEST 22:00
KST 05:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8079 users

Ranking up and down : brags and tears

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 Next All
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-16 14:28:07
January 16 2015 14:26 GMT
#1
As the title implies, this thread is to share your stories of ranking up (and deranking) in competitive MM. No elitism, all ranks accepted, just remember that we all get what we deserve in the end ;-)

As for me, I got unranked for the first time from DMG to double AK (previous times were for inactivity), while attempting this "win 2 maps on nuke" mission..... First map win was a breeze, but the next four tries were........ Somehow we always got 3people unable to fetch more than 5kills during the whole CT side -.- that was unexpected. Losing around 12-3/11-4 as ct... Wow...
It's even more frustrating that it was a good day for me and i consistently topfragged all 4 games...

Tonight i'll get that win whatever it takes, so see you in gold nova tomorrow xD
NoiR
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
January 16 2015 14:29 GMT
#2
Still badge. Story of my life (Either i win games like i was doing this morning, or i play wallers)

Then again, I really don't care much for ranks (for me, it's about about how good you are in league play)
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Christelle
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
France77 Posts
January 16 2015 14:44 GMT
#3
Id like to take a moment to acknowledge all the faceless players out there who have ranked up from losses or ties. I dont care what the internet says; it's possible.

Writer
ArtyK
Profile Joined June 2011
France3144 Posts
January 16 2015 15:05 GMT
#4
Ties give you points, i ranked up several times with 15-15
Never did with a loss though
Sup dood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ KiWiKaKi | SLush | uThermal | PtitDrogo | SortOf | Clem ~ "I told my mom she should vote for me in Nation Wars, she said 'I dunno, I kinda want Finland to win'" – Luolis ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NScWV9h8k#t=1h01m
TL+ Member
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-16 15:13:47
January 16 2015 15:13 GMT
#5
I guess you can always rank up with a loss if you played cheaters before, they get VACed and the game results are reverted.

As far as ties are concerned: I've seen on Incontrol's recent streams that ties also count towards the 2-wins a day limit on new accounts so it's very likely that ties are counted as wins for both teams internally.
zSnowy
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom51 Posts
January 16 2015 15:17 GMT
#6
I've bounced from DMG to Eagle 3 times. Currently Eagle and this time I plan to stay there, and hopefully to LEM.
iv~nk~j
Profile Joined August 2012
1140 Posts
January 16 2015 15:26 GMT
#7
if i looked at my own progress in terms of MM ranks i'd probably feel like i have been stagnating for a long time now but i know i have improved a lot

i was supreme first time at around 80 wins, global for the first time at around 200 wins, and ever since it's just been bouncing between supreme and global and right now at almost 400 wins i am at supreme

i think people who want to play seriously should put their main focus on 3rd party PUG services (mainly faceit or ESEA) once they have reached LEM, although you can of course give them a try even if you are lower ranked
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
January 16 2015 15:29 GMT
#8
On January 16 2015 23:29 amazingxkcd wrote:
Still badge. Story of my life (Either i win games like i was doing this morning, or i play wallers)

Then again, I really don't care much for ranks (for me, it's about about how good you are in league play)


Shit badge for life
Eagle just a step too far for the past few hundred hours :[
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
Wunder
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2950 Posts
January 16 2015 15:43 GMT
#9
Badger signing in. At this point I've resigned myself to the badge life and am just focus on good games and improving. It's been okay.
Writer@joonjoewong
Split Behemoth
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
France104 Posts
January 16 2015 15:49 GMT
#10
Went from Silver 2 to MG1, to Silver Elite, to MG1.
"I scout when i push" Adelscott
Censured
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1061 Posts
January 16 2015 15:54 GMT
#11
On January 17 2015 00:49 Split Behemoth wrote:
Went from Silver 2 to MG1, to Silver Elite, to MG1.

Similar for me, started GN2, ranked to MG2, to GN1, to MG1... I learned not to care about ranks.
Occupation: Legend
ArtyK
Profile Joined June 2011
France3144 Posts
January 16 2015 15:56 GMT
#12
Haha Split Behemoth, we played in sc2, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

The cs matchmaking has too many ranks in my opinion its ridiculous. I gain/lose a rank almost daily between nova 4 and MGE for the last 2 years...
Sup dood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ KiWiKaKi | SLush | uThermal | PtitDrogo | SortOf | Clem ~ "I told my mom she should vote for me in Nation Wars, she said 'I dunno, I kinda want Finland to win'" – Luolis ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NScWV9h8k#t=1h01m
TL+ Member
Jer99
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada8160 Posts
January 16 2015 16:12 GMT
#13
I seem to only rank up when i don't do well compared to other games, e.g. I'll go 39-19 in a game and then I'll go even, but rank up from the even game
StrategyTaeJa #1 || @TL_Jer99 || "seeker seeked out his seeking"
Roggay
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland6320 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-01-16 16:22:49
January 16 2015 16:22 GMT
#14
On January 17 2015 01:12 Jer99 wrote:
I seem to only rank up when i don't do well compared to other games, e.g. I'll go 39-19 in a game and then I'll go even, but rank up from the even game

Valve never explained their system, but as far as we can tell, your performance in game is weighted a lot less than the actual result of the game. It is especially important to have winstreaks if you want to rank up (losing streak for the inverse).

I personnally went up to LEM from DMG on a lucky 16-win winstreak when the new maps for operation breakout were released and nobody knew them. I eventually ranked down but managed to reach eagle two more time.
I went as far down as MG2 tho when I had really unlucky losing streaks (playing against cheaters / with leavers and flamers). And now im back in DMG as usual.
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
January 16 2015 16:45 GMT
#15
On January 17 2015 01:12 Jer99 wrote:
I seem to only rank up when i don't do well compared to other games, e.g. I'll go 39-19 in a game and then I'll go even, but rank up from the even game


Ranking up is done by comparing skill with the people you're playing.
So bashing on a team of silvers will get you ranked up far slower than going even or so against a higher ranked team
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
Tppz!
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1449 Posts
January 16 2015 17:41 GMT
#16
Can confirm that ranking up while loosing is possible. Had it once. But i was playing with better guys (i was like gold nova 3 and everyone else was MGE or MG2).

Ranking up while having a tie also happened at least twice to me. In these I was on the same level as my teammates.

After all (1,2k hours) I dont give a damn about ranking up and down. I know my faults and what i am able to do, where my strenghs lie etc. I once dropped from MGE to gold nova 2 cause I changed my mousesensivity. That was crazy hard for me, but the new sensitivity was way better for me after all. I can aim a lot better nowadays even though its my weakspot.

btw the rank up in a loss didnt happen during the time i changed my mousesense. it was way before.

in my experience in the AK ranks you rank up with 3+ straight wins with normal stats or rank down after 3 concussive losses. (also DMG. freaking DMG - always when im DMG i loose 3 in a row -.-)
pervu
Profile Joined January 2015
United Kingdom1 Post
Last Edited: 2015-01-16 17:44:54
January 16 2015 17:43 GMT
#17
Ranked to Supreme for the 3rd time in 4 days. First and second games on Supreme ended up playing vs the same stack with a booster that toggles mid game and goes from the lowest score to the 'carry' which wins their game. I'm sad.

And for everyone that ends up ranking while losing, Vitaly explained that 'ranking up' is delayed. So when you ranked up after a loss, you actually ranked up before that loss but it takes a game for the rank to apply.
The world is against me. It wouldn't be fair otherwise.
Tppz!
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1449 Posts
January 16 2015 17:52 GMT
#18
On January 17 2015 02:43 pervu wrote:
Ranked to Supreme for the 3rd time in 4 days. First and second games on Supreme ended up playing vs the same stack with a booster that toggles mid game and goes from the lowest score to the 'carry' which wins their game. I'm sad.

And for everyone that ends up ranking while losing, Vitaly explained that 'ranking up' is delayed. So when you ranked up after a loss, you actually ranked up before that loss but it takes a game for the rank to apply.


ah ok. thanks! soruce would be cool but isnt necessary
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
January 16 2015 18:02 GMT
#19
Ranking up when you have lost is possible. I always assume that it is either lag in the system or just that they have deleted a game where a hacker was found which pushed the "ELO" up enough.
climax
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1088 Posts
January 16 2015 18:41 GMT
#20
I started with DMG and now I'm gold nova 2. Walled, Aimbotted, and TK'd to death. Now I'm clawing my way back to DMG. Crazy that people still cheat in novas, for whatever reason.
Twitter: @JonathanRosales
1 2 3 4 5 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 931
SteadfastSC562
EnkiAlexander 68
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 562
ZombieGrub97
JuggernautJason63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24509
Soulkey 272
Mini 145
White-Ra 117
ToSsGirL 23
NotJumperer 21
Trap 21
Shine 19
League of Legends
Doublelift606
Counter-Strike
fl0m1350
shoxiejesuss704
C9.Mang0169
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2508
Liquid`Hasu1968
Other Games
Grubby2823
ArmadaUGS1010
B2W.Neo561
Pyrionflax178
shahzam85
UpATreeSC78
Chillindude63
Dewaltoss54
Trikslyr49
Railgan21
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 35
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV305
League of Legends
• TFBlade1034
• Noizen277
Other Games
• imaqtpie1139
• Scarra791
• Shiphtur297
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
14h
OSC
17h
Stellar Fest
17h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 17h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.