• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:55
CEST 03:55
KST 10:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7463 users

Reasons for Gun Control? - Page 4

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Sadist
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States7328 Posts
September 25 2006 10:53 GMT
#61
that guy who talked about a burgler.

Imagine if your kid tried to get into the house from sneaking out and you "accidentally" shot him in the face.


nice going dad!
How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal and you have to be willing to work for it. Jim Valvano
NewbSaibot
Profile Joined May 2004
3849 Posts
September 25 2006 10:58 GMT
#62
On September 25 2006 19:53 Sadist wrote:
that guy who talked about a burgler.

Imagine if your kid tried to get into the house from sneaking out and you "accidentally" shot him in the face.


nice going dad!
thats funny, i used a similar scenerio for a coworker once, someone who also said "hell yea if someone breaks into my house im shootin first askin questions later!".

I just said "what if your son came home from college vacation early, to surprise you, and made a little too much noise sneaking in the house?" I cant even remember what he said, if anything.
I went to the chippy last night and only orderd chips because I knew I could get fish from her bushy plate.
ToT)Testie(
Profile Joined September 2006
Canada723 Posts
September 25 2006 11:10 GMT
#63
Long story short: Do you trust yourself, and everyone you know with a gun? Everyone knows someone who's a little off. And we all know they aren't always harmless. Do you trust yourself in your biggest moments of anger or lifes biggest surprises? Many of us do. Some of us might not.

No guns = less crime. You cannot back this up with valid statistics without vast cultural differences. Why? Any fool can be powerful with a gun in their hands. They have the power to take life with the simple click of a trigger.

Guns give courage to the person who owns it. Robbing someone with a knife is messy and dangerous, and you have to have some confidence to do that. Robbing with a gun is much different.

If the only people who had guns was the authorities, i.e. military / police, most people would benefit from it. And i'm rather positive there would be less crime. You take enough of those odd-ball cases where random guy who's life sucks goes on a killing spree at the office or school, and it adds up crime wise. Especially in european and north american countries where the people have higher education. So long as they live in a more enlightened country.

Sadly, this is too hard to stop now. The manufacturers of arms are now too large to put an end to without a massive public protest.

One argument is that people will get guns much like they do drugs, if they outlaw guns. I don't buy that as easily. Guns would be harder to smuggle, especially internationally. They could crack down on them much more forcefully if the public demanded it.
DJEtterStyle
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
United States2766 Posts
September 25 2006 11:23 GMT
#64
On September 25 2006 18:33 Sharkey wrote:
[removed quote within quote]

Yeah, I was 'just' reporting the facts. But I agree with you that facts can only say so much, if you don't interrept them, they become useless and not applicable to real life situations. But if you do interpret them, their is a probability that they will be biased. I am glad that you corrected my assumption, that is all it was, about the violent crime rate in Alaska. Do you have any stats about violent crime rate in Alaska and how it pertains to certian ethnic groups. Is their a correlation between them and violent crimes, or is it between poor people (who often happen to be miniorities) and violent crimes. If you could provide facts about your statements it would deliver much more validity to your assumptions. But overal thanks for correcting me, I really appreciate it.

I really didn't mean for my post to come off as an attack upon you. All I'm really saying--and all that you're really saying, I see--is that careful examination of facts is necessary in order to draw any sort of conclusion. We can't just look at a fact and say, "Oh, ok, so I guess gun control doesn't work." We have to examine societies and cultures and history and this and that and that thing over there plus that one hiding behind the sofa before we can say anything meaningful, and even then we're prone to be somehow off-base.

^^
gg2w
Profile Joined July 2003
Canada118 Posts
September 25 2006 11:23 GMT
#65
I'm not going to address any specific statistics or trends because it's been clearly shown that these can be easily cherrypicked from both sides. However I did want to outline what I see to be a misrepresentation from the pro-gun side.

It seems like hasuprotoss is dividing the US into the evil criminal and the innocent civilian as if this is the only time a legally owned gun would be deliberately used. Just because you would show thoughtful restraint (and I admit both you and RobOwns have genuinely considered the extent and ramifications of your own personal use), does not imply that the rest of the armed civilian population would act the same way and take the same precautions. The reality is that the spectrum of law-abiding citizens is a lot broader than that and there would be quite a few who I don't think should own a gun. Here are a few contrived scenarios which I don't think are all that far from reality.

- A racist (and I've met a few who believed that all blacks are worthless criminals) could easily shoot someone cutting through their property for having the wrong skin color.
- Road rage. The most common weapon used in road rage altercations are firearms. Just the fact that some people manage to escalate such a situation to the point where a gun gets drawn shows that they really shouldn't be allowed to own one in the first place.
- Overprotective father. Some conservative values dad who caught his daughter banging the milkman might overreact. While working for a farmer a few years back, he used to laugh about how his dad chased some kid off the property with a shotgun who was trying to see his sister.
- Domestic dispute. Couple get into a fight, emotions running high. Perhaps one suspects infidelity. Or feels emotionally abused. Decides to do something stupid. And just as a sidenote, I am always amazed at the number of thwarted murders-for-hire (I believe there was one in the news recently) and how seemingly normal the perpetrators are. It just goes to show that what seems like perfectly law-abiding citizens are sometimes unstable enough to commit vicious crimes.

I don't raise these scenarios to claim gun control or gun bans are the answer. Of course there are times when a gun does save an innocent life. I just wanted to show that the "good" side is often a lot fuzzier than gun advocates are willing to admit. The simple reason is that we don't all deal with our perceptions and emotions equally.

It's reasonable to believe you should have the right to carry a gun to protect yourself and your family. What you then need to do is ask yourself how you feel about the drunken fratboy who picks fights with guys by trying to hook up with their girls thereby getting himself kicked out of bars early and him owning a gun.
Chibi[OWNS]
Profile Joined May 2003
United Kingdom10597 Posts
September 25 2006 11:35 GMT
#66
--- Nuked ---
inkblot
Profile Joined December 2004
United States1250 Posts
September 25 2006 11:51 GMT
#67
Do you trust everyone you know with a car? I have a friend I would trust much more with a gun than a car.

I personally enjoy using guns recreationally. And why shouldn't I? Because I might go berserk and shoot people? I also might fall asleep at the wheel and cause a massive accident. That's alot more likely. Responsibility is the issue with guns as much as cars. If gun owners are responsible, their kids won't be able to shoot their friends. Also, if kids were slightly educated about guns they wouldn't be shooting eachother by accident anyway.

I also like the idea that if someone were out to kill me, I could shoot them rather than (hopefully) fighting them off with a kitchen knife or baseball bat. I certainly wouldn't shoot just anyone breaking into my house, just letting them know you're armed would send them running 99% of the time as they would likely just be thieves not murderers. None the less, if guns are used by criminals they should be used against them.

Guns do give power to the people. Look at the Iraq situation. A characteristic of totalitarian regimes is to take away all gun ownership.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-25 12:23:44
September 25 2006 12:20 GMT
#68
I just remembered this while reading this thread, but.. When I was 9 I was shot in the back of the head with a pellet gun. I lived in a mixed urban/suburban area of Seattle, pretty busy place... My friends dad got the gun and kept it in his closet. My friend said after I got out of the hospital "I just wanted to see how it would feel, I didnt think you would get hurt." Now dont get me wrong, he was a child as was I, and he had some family problems.. But I did consider him my friend and trust him. That pellet could have easily been in one of my eyes, and I dont want to think about what would have happened if it was a .22 rifle or some other real gun. Random violence can happen to anyone and it is usually by someone you know on a day to day basis(If I should believe "facts" i have read in places).

I guess I kinda repressed the trauma of it(It was at a park about 15 blocks from where I lived, so I walked home with blood pouring down my neck and back). Afterwards all he was saying was "Dont tell my parents. Dad is gonna whup me with an extension cord" and crying. He didnt even walk all the way to my house with me.

The high pressure of any situation with a firearm just doesnt seem like something any human being can handle, because it is the ability to take life with the click of a trigger. And any amount of media grooming can tell you that you are a callous tough guy, and can handle it, but faced with the task.. I dont know, my random thought on this subject. : ]

Edit: And Inkblot, I have known some shitty/scary drivers. And I would trust any of them more with a car than with a gun. Cars arent explicitly used for harm.

Sure guns may have recreational purposes, but I question the need of someone to kill animals or discharge ammunition at targets just as much. It is a rush, but when you have the gun in your hands dont you think about what it would be like to turn it on someone near you? I have shot a few rifles and pistols before and the thought crossed my then 16 year old mind.
Broom
Harrison Bergeron
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-08 03:22:09
February 08 2011 03:14 GMT
#69
Yeah, I totally support gun control because...

- a woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

- When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense - give them what they want, or run.

- An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

- Private citizens don't need a gun for self- protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

- Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.

- A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.

I know it was already posted but all it didn't get much attention.

User was temp banned for this post.
Hi grack - Boxer
sur_reaL
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada278 Posts
February 08 2011 03:19 GMT
#70
wow epic bump man...

I thought we're "not allowed" to have these kinds of discussions anymore as it turns to raging flame wars in the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3hrtp1T84
Aruno
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand748 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-08 03:39:44
February 08 2011 03:37 GMT
#71
I learnt about how oven spray can cause blindness yesterday. I am now going to be super careful when I clean the oven >_>
I am glad I live in New Zealand where being shot by a gun only happens because of dumb Hunters mistaking people for Deer or other wild life.

Omg this was bumped from 2006 0_0....heck..
aruno, arunoaj, aruno_aj | Those are my main aliases
FakePlasticLove
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States357 Posts
February 08 2011 03:42 GMT
#72
Watch Bowling for Columbine. also

All walls are great if the roof doesn't fall
HULKAMANIA
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States1219 Posts
February 08 2011 03:46 GMT
#73
On February 08 2011 12:14 Harrison Bergeron wrote:
Yeah, I totally support gun control because...

- a woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

- When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no defense - give them what they want, or run.

- An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

- Private citizens don't need a gun for self- protection because the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

- Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder easy.

- A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a majority of the population supported owning slaves.

I know it was already posted but all it didn't get much attention.


Did you not see the:

Warning: The last post in this thread is over two months old.
If you bump this, you better have a good reason.


?

Or did you think you had "a good reason"?

I honestly don't see how bumps like this happen. I'm not trying to make a condescending "I don't know how you could be so stupid" either. I just for real wonder what chain of events precedes someone posting a straightforward reply to a conversation that ended five years ago.
If it were not so, I would have told you.
kidcrash
Profile Joined September 2009
United States624 Posts
February 08 2011 03:52 GMT
#74
The way I see it, you lose the right to bear arms as soon as you stop being a responsible citizen. I don't think gun control laws are strict enough in my opinion.

They should create a law that forces a mandatory 10 year minimum sentence for anyone caught breaking the law while in possession of a gun (of course not counting traffic misdemeanors). Once you are found guilty of a crime and you are at any time found in possession of fire arms, mandatory 10 year minimum sentence.

Guns are for law abiding citizens. If you want to own a gun, obey the law. Problem, criminals?
BadWithNames
Profile Joined April 2010
United States441 Posts
February 08 2011 03:54 GMT
#75
I love gun control. I learned it at age 4 and have had to defend my home from invaders twice (I was armed both times and never had to fire shot, it's presence in my hand was enough thankfully). Not that I wouldn't have shot the pricks they just didn't make any more aggressive movements. I have no problem putting a bullet between the eyes of someone that plans to take my life or do harm to my family, thats just how I was raised from a very young age. Granted I never took it seriously and thought them something to plink around with. Until you're put in a position where one man is armed and you are as well, real gun control sounds all super awesome.
One year in Seoul...yesh please
Moody
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States750 Posts
February 08 2011 04:03 GMT
#76
I totally support gun control.

If you control a gun the way it's supposed to be controlled it can be used for a couple important things:
1.) Pop a cap in someone's ass before you take their stuff Defend yourself and your family from other armed people
2.) Shoot Bambi, Simba, Huey, Dewey, and Louie Kill game for food and sport.
A marine walks into a bar and asks, "Where's the counter?"
Frozenhelfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States420 Posts
February 08 2011 04:14 GMT
#77
On September 25 2006 16:40 Lemonwalrus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 25 2006 16:36 RobOwns wrote:
[removed quote within quote]- If guns are illegal, so are condoms.


It would be mighty dificult to go on a killing spree with a trojan.


Tell that to the greeks. Just noticing the date on this post, necro much?
polar bears are fluffy
lastmotion
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-08 04:25:57
February 08 2011 04:25 GMT
#78
if there was a way to completely make sure americans dont own guns (take away the ones they already have), except for police officers, I would be for that. In korea, thats how it is. But thats not possible
so i would advocate for just handgun allowance. if your kid plays with your gun and hurts himself, its ur fault for not placing a gun where he can't get it
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
February 08 2011 04:28 GMT
#79
I think it's important to realize that "gun control" is not the same as "remove all guns from all non-criminals and make everyone defenseless and sitting ducks and be complete pussies about everything".

How about making sure that any random person can't just buy a gun without a background check, obtaining a permit, etc.? Being careful about who purchases weapons would be nice.

Oh, by the way, here's another reason why gun control might be nice:
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Fallen33
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States596 Posts
February 08 2011 04:30 GMT
#80
Banning anything is naturally going to make it more desired -- Check prohibition in the 20s, or just think about when you were a kid... drinking booze isn't nearly as fun when it's legal. Not saying this is similar to guns in any way, but when somebody can't have something is when most people want it more.
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings120
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 162
ProTech148
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 311
Bale 19
Terrorterran 19
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm229
League of Legends
Doublelift5843
JimRising 738
Counter-Strike
minikerr26
taco 11
Other Games
summit1g12146
C9.Mang0347
PiLiPiLi12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1069
BasetradeTV164
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP160
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 5m
Replay Cast
21h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.