• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:12
CEST 15:12
KST 22:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12222 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 1338

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
October 08 2014 13:46 GMT
#26741
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 14:26:50
October 08 2014 14:24 GMT
#26742
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.


Show nested quote +

And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.
Who called in the fleet?
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
October 08 2014 14:30 GMT
#26743
On October 08 2014 17:19 coverpunch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..

I have to point out that Norway is an oil exporting country and a great deal of these things you brag about are luxuries from having the most precious of resources to a modern economy, something most other countries do not enjoy. Norway has been wise with its money and certainly much better to its citizens with oil wealth than, say, Russia or Saudi Arabia, but oil is a commodity from which it is very easy to say people do not earn their wealth and poor people should have their poverty papered over with undeserved wealth.

Nobody's talking seriously about an alternative to capitalism with regulations. The question is how burdensome should the regulations be and how strictly should they be enforced. You can see it most easily with SOX and Basel III. SOX imposes large burdens on publicly traded companies for what is arguably relatively little benefit in terms of governance and good reporting. Basel III is being rendered toothless by the US financial sector (and around the world). It's not hard to argue that there needs to be SOME kind of regulation to prevent the problems of 2001 and 2008 from recurring again, but the devil is in the details.

EDIT: Surely we can agree that very burdensome and ineffective regulations that are not enforced are stupid and we should at least think about scrapping them. For instance, I don't think there's anything objectionable about workplace safety standards. But when that means watching five hours of safety videos made in the 80s, during which people sleep or play with their phones and then don't think at all about safety, something needs to change.


Sweden has, at least until the financial crisis (which Norway due to its wealth pretty much hasn't felt any significant effect from), enjoyed a pretty similar standard of living just through smart politics without being a particularly resource-rich country. I mean yeah just the simple aspect of being located in a peaceful region of the world and having a climate which has installed a competence for planning the future (200 years ago, if you didn't spend summer planning for winter in Norway, you died), which is obviously beneficial, and I'm by no means saying that everything that has been successful in Norway can apply to other countries.

I was actually trying to defend capitalism here though - through showcasing Norway as a capitalistic country yet the best place to live throughout human history. And yes, obviously stupid and wasteful regulations are negative (and I'm not claiming that Norway is free of those), but my impression is that it's actually better to err on the side of too many stupid regulations than to err on the side of not enough.
Moderator
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
October 08 2014 14:42 GMT
#26744
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

Show nested quote +
I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.

Moderator
WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 14:47:26
October 08 2014 14:42 GMT
#26745
On October 08 2014 14:32 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
Where are the US ebola cases? It's classic, selfish, me-first attitudes that make the conservatives, like yourself Dangles, and Sowell, look childish. So far this crisis is entirely limited to Africa, and the talks of massive outbreaks in the US are nothing but fear-mongering and hype. If ebola really blows up into pandemic proportions it will likely be in India and China, and then all bets are off anyway.



In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.

Nobody argues that capitalism tends towards inequality, which is why all systems of capitalism are actually mixed with varying degrees of government intervention.

Capitalism doesn't achieve full happiness because we don't even want a system with full happiness, but it does instill the pursuit of happiness, and by very large margins, by its very nature.

Happiness begets complacency. A person happy with their place in life won't make any attempts to improve it, but rather sustain what they have. You have no mobility, and no drive to do anything other than maintain the status quo. What you need is the pursuit of happiness, or rather, hope. Follow your dreams! A person with hope will strive, for better or for worse, to get out of the bottom and get to the middle, or get out of the middle and get to the top. And the larger a leap you want to make, the less happiness you need (i.e. no desire to stay in whatever you currently live in), and the more hope you need (i.e. to get to a very far target which requires patience, some fortune, and tons of ambition).

A system with no happiness and tons of hope should be a very good system because everyone is scrambling to get to the top, creating social mobility, and progress gets achieved since people will improve their lives and by extension the lives around them, in the pursuit of some faraway happiness that at present does not exist.

We have varying degrees of government intervention - no system out there is purely capitalistic - because by regulating the inequality, we maintain some measure of hope for those at the bottom, and have tons of opportunity for those in the middle, to move upard in their pursuit of happiness.. I concede that the lower end of the wealth distribution is getting out of hand, but the middle and top in relation to each other are very good at the present.

Now how is it that nobody "deserves" to be a billionaire?

But that capitalism tends towards inequality is exactly Piketty's point...

Norway is not a capitalist society in the strict sense. The problem is you are all trying to figure out what is capitalist and what is not, without clearly defining capitalist. Are you referring to the idea of private property ? To the idea of a society and an economy that revolve around consumption and merchandising ? Going back to Marx, he is never ever using the word capitalism, but mention the accumulation of capital. The core of the problem to him is a society where an individual can buy and accumulate capital, most specifically the property of the means of production. In most modern societies, while most firm can be bought, it is not a complete rule. The state does not limit itself to its "regalian" activities (army, police, justice) in most developped countries.
In Piketty's book, he describe France during the thirty glorious as a "mixed regime" between capitalism and socialism, with a bunch of highly important firms being completly public (energy, with EDF, Total, GDF, finance, with BNP Paribas, public transportation or even automobile with Renault). I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, but I believe Norway has somewhat publicized some great part of its energy field (with the norwegian petroleum directorate) and it also has a government fund that makes some important investments in the private sector, effectively giving the state a way to oversee the private sector's practice. And I'm pretty sure there are laws that prevent individuals from buying some firms in some key fields.
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
October 08 2014 14:46 GMT
#26746
Oh, nationalization of natural resources being hugely positive for a country is like, an absolute no-brainer imo.. If we had privatized our oil fortune 40 years ago then our country would look entirely different - and much, much worse. When I define Norway as capitalist I mean to say that while it is a mixed economy (like almost every other country) I find it to be more on the side of capitalism than on the side of socialism, although I can see how both socialists and libertarians disagree with me.
Moderator
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 14:51:12
October 08 2014 14:50 GMT
#26747
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.
WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
October 08 2014 14:58 GMT
#26748
On October 08 2014 23:50 Velr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.

Exactly ! But doing that is going against the capital. There are people making tons of money on those poor, little life expectancy chinese workers.
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
October 08 2014 15:06 GMT
#26749
On October 08 2014 23:50 Velr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.

And then they stop selling here entirely because it's not worth it.

Also its unenforceable. Good luck getting Indonesia to let you have inspectors go around and shut down their biggest factories.
Who called in the fleet?
Jormundr
Profile Joined July 2011
United States1678 Posts
October 08 2014 15:50 GMT
#26750
On October 09 2014 00:06 Millitron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:50 Velr wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.

And then they stop selling here entirely because it's not worth it.

Also its unenforceable. Good luck getting Indonesia to let you have inspectors go around and shut down their biggest factories.

Lol
If you pay four people $8 an hour to make air jordans, and they can make only 1 pair of shoes an hour, you still have ~$25 left in the margin for transportation(which would no longer be international) and profit.
If businessmen were as dumb as you are acting, then there wouldn't be a single restaurant running in the country because they're "not worth it".
Capitalism is beneficial for people who work harder than other people. Under capitalism the only way to make more money is to work harder then your competitors whether they be other companies or workers. ~ Vegetarian
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
October 08 2014 16:15 GMT
#26751
While the working conditions are awful in the 3rd world countries compared to 1st world countries, the relative conditions to their surroundings and quality of life have improved significantly as well. Enacting tariffs and trade restrictions does nothing but hurt both sides, just like what happened with sugar tariffs in South America and the Caribbean. Those countries would continue to be rife with poverty, and maybe we would see a resurgence of American manufacturing and trade, or maybe we'd just import everything from Germany and Japan instead.

It's not like lowering US wages would help either, since all that would happen is a creation of another subclass of people. You can't live off of 40 hours a week on minimum wage already and that's what a lot of working adults are being paid, so lowering the wage floor just makes people poorer.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though and the complaint is that we pay people in manufacturing jobs too much (because they're unionized? idk). The same thing occurs though, where you just create more working poor, which cannot buy the products they make (or others like them in different sectors).

Also, if you seriously believe they'll just automate the process, you need to rethink that. As of now, you usually only have 1-3 cashiers, 1-3 cooks, and a manager (and maybe an asst) at a fast food joint. You can't just turn every store into a vending machine, so you'll still have 1 cashier, 1 cook, and a manager at minimum to be there "just in case." Are they going to dump everybody for peak hours as well? Not likely. The most likely scenario, instead of automating, is that of "flex scheduling," where people are put in some sort of "on-call" list instead of set hours. Maximize the utility of the workers you have. Overall hours would be cut for most, but with a ~20% pay raise for many of those workers (proposed minimum wage hike), they could break (almost) even or even better than before.
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
October 08 2014 16:20 GMT
#26752
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else. How such masterminds, with their own enviromental influences, could even make a "right" decision- whatever that means in this context. When you speak of trends among, say, firstborns (something I am familiar with) it seems to be just that- a trend, not a rule. Anything else gets you into murky water, despite the relative simplicity of the idea.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 16:33:16
October 08 2014 16:29 GMT
#26753
On October 09 2014 01:20 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else.

Because we're not magical unicorns but physical beings with limited information that are bound to physical laws? Also there is no reason to believe that every predisposed viewpoint is equally valid. Also he's not advocating that "the government runs everything". Redistribution like Norway does, does not equal huge government intervention. Quite the contrary. Countries like Germany and France are way more involved in the economy and have less generous welfare systems than the Scandinavian nations.
HellRoxYa
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden1614 Posts
October 08 2014 16:33 GMT
#26754
On October 08 2014 23:58 WhiteDog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:50 Velr wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.

Exactly ! But doing that is going against the capital. There are people making tons of money on those poor, little life expectancy chinese workers.


There's also the question of sovereignty. If one state starts fucking others over like that then other states will see that fucking each other is now how we play the game, but in the end it will be worse for everyone. It's in all state's interest to see a strong sense of sovereignty (although the exact desired level differs depending on the country).
WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 16:44:14
October 08 2014 16:34 GMT
#26755
On October 09 2014 01:15 aksfjh wrote:
While the working conditions are awful in the 3rd world countries compared to 1st world countries, the relative conditions to their surroundings and quality of life have improved significantly as well. Enacting tariffs and trade restrictions does nothing but hurt both sides, just like what happened with sugar tariffs in South America and the Caribbean. Those countries would continue to be rife with poverty, and maybe we would see a resurgence of American manufacturing and trade, or maybe we'd just import everything from Germany and Japan instead.

It's not like lowering US wages would help either, since all that would happen is a creation of another subclass of people. You can't live off of 40 hours a week on minimum wage already and that's what a lot of working adults are being paid, so lowering the wage floor just makes people poorer.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though and the complaint is that we pay people in manufacturing jobs too much (because they're unionized? idk). The same thing occurs though, where you just create more working poor, which cannot buy the products they make (or others like them in different sectors).

Also, if you seriously believe they'll just automate the process, you need to rethink that. As of now, you usually only have 1-3 cashiers, 1-3 cooks, and a manager (and maybe an asst) at a fast food joint. You can't just turn every store into a vending machine, so you'll still have 1 cashier, 1 cook, and a manager at minimum to be there "just in case." Are they going to dump everybody for peak hours as well? Not likely. The most likely scenario, instead of automating, is that of "flex scheduling," where people are put in some sort of "on-call" list instead of set hours. Maximize the utility of the workers you have. Overall hours would be cut for most, but with a ~20% pay raise for many of those workers (proposed minimum wage hike), they could break (almost) even or even better than before.

Most of our economies were built with tariff. What you're saying is not untrue but not true either. The situation in china is better for exemple, but not really in India, and not in all 3rd world countries, far from it. It depend on many things, and not everything is linked to free trade. I actually think the most important thing to permit development (and not growth) is the existence of a proactive state - and it is the point of view of many world organisations such as the United Nation Development Program since now some years.

Now it's true that a sudden tarriff would result is an important movement of assets from 3rd world countries to OCDE countries which would result in a great crisis in most 3rd world countries - just like it happened when Volker increase the interest rate for exemple.
But that doesn't take aside the fact that protectionnism, at least targetted, would be a great tool to resolve some of our greatest problem, which is competitive disinflation (coming also from Germany and Japan) and the environmental problem. But, for ideological reasons, that situation is never considered.

On October 09 2014 01:33 HellRoxYa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:58 WhiteDog wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:50 Velr wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:24 Millitron wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks in the world that jump all over everything these extreme figureheads spit out... If you add in a 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ). But I highly doubt we have less "crazies" than the US, you just don't hear about/from them as often.



And this is what you people don't understand. A bigger minimum wage at the cost of shareholder value cannot and will not happen. A bigger minimum wage will come with an increase in cost and a reduction in labor, the people earning that bigger minimum wage will have less hours and less jobs, and the consumers will have to pay more


Pls give me ONE real live example where this actually happened.
This is the standard Response to the Minimum wage argument and it has just no base in reality (assuming your not going way overboard with the Minimum wage, obviously ).
If this was the case, countries with higher wages than their neighbours would crash and burn due to being outcompeted, yet this is not happening.
But I guess Scandinavia, Switzerland and every other Country with decent wages are just some sort of "magical wonderlands" where your reasoning doesn't apply because "Magic".

Basically all US manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. Your iPhones are made in Taiwan, your sneakers are made in Indonesia, the cotton for most of your clothes comes from India. These things are all because the US has wage standards higher than those countries, and so the companies responsible shipped those jobs to where it was cheaper.

Now, places like McDonald's can't really ship frycook jobs overseas, but they can further automate their systems to cut the number of cooks needed.

On October 08 2014 22:46 [UoN]Sentinel wrote:
On October 08 2014 22:42 Velr wrote:
The political Spectrum in the US just seems very "extreme".

You have diehard libertarians, diehard leftist, diehard conservatives and christians + the biggest medianetworks that jump all over exactly these extreme figureheads... If you add in the 2 Party System that has to gather all these into just Republicans and Democrats you end up with something that looks just "absurd".

Most other countries have (several) fringe parties that normally don't get all that much of the vote while the politics are dominated by parties that don't act openly "extreme" (in General ).

I feel like the parties will keep getting farther and farther away from each other until one of them ends up splitting in two. Most people in the middle don't tend that much to either extreme, and the party or party fragment that swallows their pride and capitalizes on this first will make significant gains.

As long as the media prioritizes conflict over truth, the parties will always be extreme. Every interview on CNN or Fox where one side says something insane is free advertising for the insane people.


See... Thats the main Problem.

You could create an Iphone from scratch in the US for the same price you have now (because they are ridiculously overpriced atm anyway ). BUT that would create smaller winnings for the shareholders. At the same time you would have way more People that are able to actually buy that Iphone.
The Problem is not that its impossible to have manufacturing Job in Country XYZ due to wages, the problem is that you earn even more when exploiting 2nd and 3d world labourers which have to work under conditions that would be downright illegal in the US (or other 1st world countries).
There is also a pretty simple solution to this - tariffs and customs. Make manufacturers either follow the same restrictions/laws (work savety, enviromental, even holydays...) that they would have to follow in the US or let them pay customs/tariffs.

Exactly ! But doing that is going against the capital. There are people making tons of money on those poor, little life expectancy chinese workers.


There's also the question of sovereignty. If one state starts fucking others over like that then other states will see that fucking each other is now how we play the game, but in the end it will be worse for everyone. It's in all state's interest to see a strong sense of sovereignty (although the exact desired level differs depending on the country).

There are tons of protectionnism going on for specific company in the US, in Europe and in many countries, and everything seems fine. Even 3rd world countries could gain from it if say the protectionnism came with help for modernisation of their industry.
In microeconomy we even see how a country, such as Japan, consider it beneficial that it has had restrictions at exportation to the US in the car industry for exemple, because it can define exactly its production and its selling, and thus can predict its costs.
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 16:40:19
October 08 2014 16:37 GMT
#26756
On October 09 2014 01:29 Nyxisto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:20 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else.

Because we're not magical unicorns but physical beings with limited information that are bound to physical laws? Also there is no reason to believe that every predisposed viewpoint is equally valid. Also he's not advocating that "the government runs everything". Redistribution like Norway does, does not mean huge government intervention. Quite the contrary. Countries like Germany and France are way more involved in the economy and have less generous welfare systems than the Scandinavian nations.



You missed the point being made. Perhaps you should reread it.

Hint: the phrase " entirely outside our control" is of key importance.

Edit: stupid phone
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
October 08 2014 16:39 GMT
#26757
On October 09 2014 01:20 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else. How such masterminds, with their own enviromental influences, could even make a "right" decision- whatever that means in this context. When you speak of trends among, say, firstborns (something I am familiar with) it seems to be just that- a trend, not a rule. Anything else gets you into murky water, despite the relative simplicity of the idea.


You can change your opinion. It just doesn't happen magically due to your own free will, it mostly happens due to you being exposed to new ideas and then depending on how they fit into your preexisting world view, you internalize or dismiss these new ideas. Education and dialogue becomes even more important, because reflection used as a tool for personal evolution becomes a taught ability rather than something purely innate.
Moderator
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 16:42:46
October 08 2014 16:42 GMT
#26758
On October 09 2014 01:37 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:29 Nyxisto wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:20 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else.

Because we're not magical unicorns but physical beings with limited information that are bound to physical laws? Also there is no reason to believe that every predisposed viewpoint is equally valid. Also he's not advocating that "the government runs everything". Redistribution like Norway does, does not mean huge government intervention. Quite the contrary. Countries like Germany and France are way more involved in the economy and have less generous welfare systems than the Scandinavian nations.



You missed the point being made. Perphaps you should should reread it.

Hint: the phrase " entirely outside our control" is of key importance.

I have trouble what "our control" even is supposed to mean. Every decision you make is based on experiences and things you learned through interaction with your environment, which you have no control over. You don't make decisions out of "nothing". Free will as people intuitively define it is a very nonsensical concept. Either something happens as a result of a chain of events, which means it is determined, or it happened randomly, which isn't exactly what we commonly refer to as "free will". So if you want to sell me that concept you'll first have to tell me what you exactly mean by "under my control".
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
October 08 2014 16:47 GMT
#26759
On October 09 2014 01:34 WhiteDog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:15 aksfjh wrote:
While the working conditions are awful in the 3rd world countries compared to 1st world countries, the relative conditions to their surroundings and quality of life have improved significantly as well. Enacting tariffs and trade restrictions does nothing but hurt both sides, just like what happened with sugar tariffs in South America and the Caribbean. Those countries would continue to be rife with poverty, and maybe we would see a resurgence of American manufacturing and trade, or maybe we'd just import everything from Germany and Japan instead.

It's not like lowering US wages would help either, since all that would happen is a creation of another subclass of people. You can't live off of 40 hours a week on minimum wage already and that's what a lot of working adults are being paid, so lowering the wage floor just makes people poorer.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though and the complaint is that we pay people in manufacturing jobs too much (because they're unionized? idk). The same thing occurs though, where you just create more working poor, which cannot buy the products they make (or others like them in different sectors).

Also, if you seriously believe they'll just automate the process, you need to rethink that. As of now, you usually only have 1-3 cashiers, 1-3 cooks, and a manager (and maybe an asst) at a fast food joint. You can't just turn every store into a vending machine, so you'll still have 1 cashier, 1 cook, and a manager at minimum to be there "just in case." Are they going to dump everybody for peak hours as well? Not likely. The most likely scenario, instead of automating, is that of "flex scheduling," where people are put in some sort of "on-call" list instead of set hours. Maximize the utility of the workers you have. Overall hours would be cut for most, but with a ~20% pay raise for many of those workers (proposed minimum wage hike), they could break (almost) even or even better than before.

Most of our economies were built with tariff. What you're saying is not untrue but not true either. The situation in china is better for exemple, but not really in India, and not in all 3rd world countries, far from it. It depend on many things, and not everything is linked to free trade. I actually think the most important thing is the existence of a proactive state - and it is the point of view of many world organisations such as the United Nation Development Program since now some years.

Now it's true that a sudden tarriff would result is an important movement of assets from 3rd world countries to OCDE countries which would result in a great crisis in most 3rd world countries - just like it happened when Volker increase the interest rate for exemple.
But that doesn't take aside the fact that protectionnism, at least targetted, would be a great tool to resolve some of our greatest problem, which is competitive disinflation (coming also from Germany and Japan) and the environmental problem. But, for ideological reasons, that situation is never considered.

Also, what doesn't seem to be considered is an interest rate that increases inflation based on rapid gains in technology and gains from shifting labor to overseas operations. We have had deflationary pressure for 2-3 decades, but price stickiness has prevented prices from falling to their "minimal" level on many goods. The only spoken "viable" course of action has been to deregulate more and things would fix themselves.

On the tariffs side of things, I think they are MUCH more helpful for the developing countries to impose on their imports than for developed countries in any form. China does this well in a sense.
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-09 08:39:09
October 08 2014 16:50 GMT
#26760
On October 09 2014 01:39 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:20 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 23:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 18:25 Introvert wrote:
On October 08 2014 15:24 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On October 08 2014 10:37 IgnE wrote:
In some ways Danglars and Wegandi are right when they say that those arguing for higher taxes and redistribution want to kill the free market and capitalism. The truth is that capitalism tends toward monopoly and inequality. It's a broken, immoral system that robs people of the fullness of their rights to self-determination and the pursuit of happiness. Your post sounds fine Drone, but I don't really care about treading on the toes of the Randian conservatives: no one deserves to be a billionaire, and accumulating that much wealth is immoral.


Norway is still a fundamentally capitalistic society.. Heavily regulated sure (and it will have to be more heavily regulated in the future for us to maintain our egalitarianism), and we're certainly guilty of some degree of third world exploitation to maintain our consumerist habits.. But I still think it's pretty much the best society humanity has managed to create through the entirety of human history.. From my perspective, in Norway we've gotten to the point where we don't need more economic growth (an opinion I have little political support for even here ), and I disagree with the notion that GDP is a great metric for societal success but I still just have to ask..

What's the alternative? I'm not talking about the alternative to largely unregulated capitalism - because I think the alternative is heavily regulated capitalism. But what's the alternative to heavily regulated capitalism? I mean, I like the idea of a fully automated zero-growth society where everyone's basic needs are provided for and where all energy can be spent on education and culture, but we're pretty far from being there, and I feel like we need to discuss what's viable, not what my pipe dream for the future is..

Further, I've seen you criticize the idea of a radical free will in the past. And I agree with you, I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions. But then I also have to extend that courtesy to the wealthy. I can't hold a billionaire morally responsible for wanting to be a billionaire, from my perspective that disposition has been installed in him through factors outside his own control. The morality of individuals is to me irrelevant, attempting to actually find some common ground we can progress from is what matters imo..


While of course I agree that environment matters (who denies it?) I think undue weight is placed upon it.

For instance,you gave the example of your brother- he's far wealthier than you, because he cared more about money or a certain lifestyle, what have you. Presumably you had the same parent/s... you said you were very similar in many ways, including intelligence.

So how can you say that

I think the notion that everyone is responsible for their own success is just.. not grounded in reality, and this to me is a significant part of why I favor redistribution policies so much, because I feel that the poor are not responsible for who they are, their character, their desires, or even their moral dispositions


(emphasis added)


Is that not a factor, even a little bit? Certainly it must have some basis in the world. The story you told seems to show that!


I never chose my character, desires, or moral disposition. To the degree where I did choose them through reflecting upon issues, even my ability to reflect, and the ideas and experiences I have had leading to my reflections were not chosen by me. And mostly every difference in personality between me and my brother can be witnessed from a very, very young age - he was always more responsible, I was always more aloof and playful. These differences are actually very commonly observable among siblings, where the older sibling is the more responsible one (and also typically the one who gets the highest education/salary and the most prestigious jobs), and this is very natural because even in homes where responsibility is emphasized in the first child, the second one observes that this role is already occupied within the family-unit and then chooses another role because that is how he or she gets the attention he or she typically craves. My firm opinion is that our personalities are created by factors entirely outside our control (because our mental faculties are also outside our control) and thus I feel it is wrong to blame anyone for anything.



Ok doing this on this phone is too hard.


If this is the view you espouse, I must wonder two things: why I should listen and consider what you say (since I am predisposed to a viewpoint anyway, which must be as valid as yours) and why I should believe that anyone else (in government) could possibly control or plan increasingly complex programs or institutions for everyone else. How such masterminds, with their own enviromental influences, could even make a "right" decision- whatever that means in this context. When you speak of trends among, say, firstborns (something I am familiar with) it seems to be just that- a trend, not a rule. Anything else gets you into murky water, despite the relative simplicity of the idea.


You can change your opinion. It just doesn't happen magically due to your own free will, it mostly happens due to you being exposed to new ideas and then depending on how they fit into your preexisting world view, you internalize or dismiss these new ideas. Education and dialogue becomes even more important, because reflection used as a tool for personal evolution becomes a taught ability rather than something purely innate.


Edit again: I am now done discussing this topic, my energy for it was drained in another way. Don't need to retread ground.
Edit: i understand that we are not treading any new ground here, but there is no reason to skip steps in the chain.

I didn't say it happens magically. I want to know on what basis are you to make some claim of moral or philosophical truth, or even have the audacity to try and educate someone, knowing the incredible influence of enviroment on your own upbringing. Maybe logical reasoning is a societal influence only? An evolutionary accident. The question sounds odd at first but I think is actually relevent.

Perhaps this doesn't belong in the politics thread. And this is killing my phone battery.


This also applies to Nyxisto's post. To posit that you as a person cannot act outside of whatever situation you came up in is quite a claim.. But right out the gate i acknowledged outside influence. I have an issue with the scope of the claim- it's claim of singular supremacy.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Prev 1 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 232
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings109
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko367
SHIN 232
ProTech148
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40831
Bisu 2100
Shuttle 1916
Hyuk 1679
Larva 415
EffOrt 412
Soma 395
Mini 352
ZerO 286
firebathero 226
[ Show more ]
Last 122
Leta 87
hero 82
Zeus 72
Pusan 62
Killer 48
Hm[arnc] 47
Hyun 47
Sexy 45
Trap 45
Bale 40
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 27
PianO 25
zelot 23
sorry 17
yabsab 11
JulyZerg 10
Noble 10
Sacsri 7
Icarus 6
Rock 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4496
qojqva1417
Dendi973
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor854
crisheroes686
Liquid`Hasu58
Other Games
gofns44459
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1160
DeMusliM296
Happy275
Livibee218
Mew2King93
ArmadaUGS82
Liquid`VortiX75
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 89
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 10881
League of Legends
• Jankos1713
Other Games
• WagamamaTV226
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 48m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 48m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 48m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 48m
INu's Battles
22h 48m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.