• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:33
CEST 17:33
KST 00:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8117 users

Interview with Raven

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
sajrus
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland89 Posts
January 15 2009 21:25 GMT
#1
An interview with The Raven - new captain of the POL – Team. About what he’s like, what Starcraft means to him? What are his plans for the national team development?

Could you please tell us who Maciej Polak is?


Well, I’m 25. I live in Warsaw where I work in the computer games trade. My passion for Starcraft brought about my eight-year-long presence on the Polish and international scene not only as a player but also as an organizer. Although I’m no longer an active competitor, I decided to engage myself in that latter role once again, and I took over the POL – Team for the third time ever.

Well…I intentionally asked the question about Maciej, who only at the certain point of his lifetime nicknamed himself “The Raven” as first…Maybe you could tell us what kind of man you are then? What pisses you off, what makes you relaxed? The members of the ‘SCene’ may not know what your private life looks like. Let’s just forget about the POL – Team management for a while.

(He smiles) All right, few words about the ‘real world’ Maciej…privately I’m still…The Raven to some extent (I started to use this pseudo before the SC was released). However, after the first face to face conversation most people tell me, that the impression I make as an internaut is totally different (probably, this is because of my often “serious” posts, which established my a bit ‘bolt upright’ image.
What pisses me off? The rednecks and the bottomless stupidity for show.
Relax? Nothing more relaxing than a time spent with my girlfriend (Katie)

Was Starcraft the first game to absorb you entirely? Or there were earlier some titles, which stole the show?

Absolutely not! My first ‘computer combats’ must be traced back to times when I was five or six, I then operated on the ZX Spectrum/Atari using tape cassettes and my top-list games were: River Raid, Lords of Chaos, Laser, Squad, Rick Dangerous or Arnhem. Operating on the PC, I went through such games as Master Magic (I derived my nickname from this stuff), Diablo (up to this day I call it the only game I was addicted to, which made me sell it after six weeks in view of my own health ;P), all releases of Bullfrog and Blizzard and, of course, The Quake series. If it wasn’t for Starcraft, I’d probably be more ‘soaked through’ by the Q3 ^^.

From your articles, it can be concluded that the games were ever-present and essential part of your life. I don’t intend to accuse you of “nerding”, but, you must admit, that SC was extremely important, and it still is. Without any sentimental attitude towards the game you wouldn’t certainly make a comeback and take over The POL – Team. Could you explain the reasons for your decision?

Sure I can. The computer games were always important to me and I don’t think it’s a waste of time at all, quite the contrary, most of my personal qualities were developed thanks to them And they’ll always be important, both in favor of private sphere and professional obligations.
Obviously, The Starcraft is still a great dose of pleasure and, I can agree with you wholly, that without any sentiment or satisfaction coming from my job, I wouldn’t undertake the above-mentioned role. Another reason for me doing this is the fact, that there were no suitable candidates, and the long years spent in the SC camp reawakened inside me in the form of the responsibility for the national team, which I already led for some time and for which I played quite a few matches.

Still, during your cadence as a player as well as national team manager, the SCene realities were slightly different. More teams were active, more tournaments organized, more individualities among players. Now, the NetWars.pl forum is full of undisguised irony, one out of many examples being “SC is dead”. Is it really so?

Starcraft will survive as long as the scene gathering the gamers exists (not only the ‘maniacs’, playing tournaments/ladders and following the news from Korea, but also the Sunday players). But, indeed, the scene is gradually shrinking (and it’s been clearly visible since 2004, I suppose), the number of casual contestants, and those, for whom SC is the matter of distinction is decreasing, which all seems to be the natural course of events. ‘The oldie’ is nearly 11, and the sequel is on the horizon…
The pro-gamers have less and less tournaments outside Korea, tournaments which would be a perfect occasion to present their abilities, and the Sunday gamers give up SC for good to seek new titles, new challenges, new sensations.

Thus, what is your strategy for creating a solid crew able to challenge the dominators? I understand, that you have to overcome some kind of problem analogy which affects the other teams as well, but is it worth managing a national team being aware of the number of players who remain active?

It is always worth leading a team unless there is an arena to conquer! Evidently, the previous successes of The POL – Team were enough to spoil us all but we wouldn’t like to leave the pedestal of the most recognized crews, and, I believe, our status is unquestionable. The Polish national team, with an obvious reason, has for long been internationally called “mini-Korea” or “Proland” – the scene of our ladder-active gamers is the fifth in the world in number (behind Korea, China, Russia and USA), and the talented players strong enough to demonstrate the potential of our country will always emerge.
And, as you’ve already said, it’s not only us battling such problems, however, I’d rather call it a natural rotation of the top gamers.

Rotation which incidentally excludes another group of acknowledged players, and the new wave is not coming. Is it possible to fill in this gap? Or the squad will be based mostly on the proven members?

I don’t think our future looks so dark, in spite of some “resigns” we still have got ‘a crew with the claws’, and we won’t hesitate to use them if such a need should arise. I’d like to stick to the scheme: POL-A consists basically of the recognized members, and POL-B is supposed to be the ‘breeding ground’ for the ‘ SC prodigies’ (chances to show the potential, to be credited the first Nation Wars under the national flag). Talking about the natural rotation I meant adding the best people from team B to the main team, which has done the job as far as the challenge/tournament cycle is concerned. Anyway, I’ve got the subs singled out in case of any personal shortcomings, but I wouldn’t like to reveal any nicknames here, the issue is to be discussed with The HeadCutter, POL –B’s captain, by the way.

Let’s just hope your co-operation will go on without any dissonances…As to the POL – Team’s schedule, have you got any plans concerned with the future starts of our boys? Which leagues are you going to join? Which teams would you like to challenge during this particular cadence?

It’s too early for me to know the schedule details – yesterday I returned from my holiday and I haven’t even got a contact with all the gamers and the licences for the sites either…Before Christmas I heard about the idea of an international tournament, and, if it fails, me and The HeadCutter will try to settle some single meetings or to organize a tournament of a lowest rank. I’ve got one more idea for bringing our gamers together and I’ll achieve it surely, but for now I keep it secret as I’m still sure it will be warmly received.

It’s really good to hear you’ve got some new ideas for the team. I was wondering how the SC community received your “Any problems? Ask The Raven” initiative?

The idea of hosting a programme in which I would help the audience to solve the problems connected with Starcraft by answering their questions directly met the wide and immediate response, both on the forum and via an e-mail, so I can tell you that it will see the light of day soon!  Of course, I cannot bite off more than I can chew. It will take some time to prepare the first few episodes. I’m also waiting for the HeadShot TV until they’ve finished some important technical improvements, which will make communing with this internet TV yet more pleasant experience for the loggers ^^. On this occasion, I, again, appeal for directing the SC questions to my e- mail (raven@terran.pl) It is you, who decide what will be presented and explained during the programme!

I join your appeal by all means and I promise to send my reps with a few questions attached :D

Maciek, what if it all fails to happen? If there’s not enough zeal, desire? It is your head in the smasher in case of any flops, which, as you know, is a common practice around and inside our scene.
What if you say “I’ve had enough, I quit now”. Don’t you have any anxieties?


That’s an appropriate question here, especially in the context of my second cadence, when, at a certain point, as a player and a captain at the same time I was sick of the negative feedback from the scene, whose appetites I whetted myself through what I achieved before and the motivation for upgrade somehow evaporated.
Now, I’ve got two major problems less. First, I’m not a national team player anymore, which restrained me from keeping the POL – Team matters at a distance and hampered the physical fulfillment of the obligations assigned to the captain. Second, the form of the national team management evolved recently – I’m not alone in this. The B section is run by The HeadCutter, who did well in the role of a captain during the last cadence. You also contribute to the section Sajrus, since we agreed before my start, that you’ll be responsible for the info concerned with the POL – Team on various sites (news, coverage, even this interview), and the HSTV will take care of an excellent live coverage of the games. The whole, briefly speaking, won’t be so time-consuming for me as it was formerly, however, I don’t treat the present cadence as less challenging and the fact, that it may sometimes be hard to spur yourself on is taken into account. Some fears are obvious but I’m staying positive.

The goals are precisely determined then, and, hopefully, we’ll all be strong to make them real. Seizing an opportunity, I’d like to ask you to have a regular conversation with me, which would provide some info about the current events in the POL – Team camp. Such interview once a month would illustrate and recap the last four weeks, what do you say?

Yeah, sure I’ve got similar offer for you in return but we shall discuss it further when…err…in private [5.01.2009]

Interview by: sajrus
Translation: Miłosz - big thx!

Team Poland official site
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
January 15 2009 21:28 GMT
#2
hey maciej!

it's nice to hear about you
And all is illuminated.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-15 21:32:13
January 15 2009 21:30 GMT
#3
Great interview.
I like Raven, ( he was a really good T :p )
Go Proland !
We need more players like Blackman, Raven, Draco, Dreiven, Dunaj, Gohan ( super nice and gm guy )
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1352
WardiTV1037
OGKoka 243
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 243
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5012
Bisu 2014
Shuttle 976
Larva 830
Stork 487
EffOrt 477
BeSt 465
Horang2 339
actioN 290
Mini 251
[ Show more ]
Rush 237
Light 144
Mind 119
hero 99
910 90
Zeus 86
Snow 68
Mong 63
sorry 57
Shinee 51
Barracks 48
JYJ 37
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 27
Killer 26
Sexy 26
Aegong 20
yabsab 18
HiyA 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Terrorterran 14
zelot 14
Free 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5729
qojqva2670
Dendi1098
febbydoto40
Counter-Strike
fl0m3501
Fnx 691
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko476
Other Games
singsing2480
hiko942
B2W.Neo733
TKL 715
Livibee344
ceh9296
XBOCT274
Hui .232
Liquid`VortiX232
XaKoH 151
Chillindude11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile123
• LUISG 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 35
• iopq 7
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3102
• Jankos2111
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
27m
Replay Cast
7h 27m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.