• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:13
CEST 01:13
KST 08:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8800 users

Saying Goodbye to ASL English - Page 15

Forum Index > BW General
744 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 38 Next All
LHK
Profile Joined May 2015
204 Posts
March 03 2021 21:08 GMT
#281
I believe cancelling ASL english casting is a mistake, and I want to add my voice to the chorus of us here on TL expressing our disappointment and urging ASL to reconsider. I would have used Afreeca to watch, but the website rarely worked for me. I would pay for a season ticket to watch ASL, but there is no option to do so. To just cancel feels like bullshit, we never had any chance to really support Afreeca beyond just watching it on YouTube.
-Laura
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
March 03 2021 21:14 GMT
#282
On March 04 2021 06:08 LHK wrote:
I believe cancelling ASL english casting is a mistake, and I want to add my voice to the chorus of us here on TL expressing our disappointment and urging ASL to reconsider. I would have used Afreeca to watch, but the website rarely worked for me. I would pay for a season ticket to watch ASL, but there is no option to do so. To just cancel feels like bullshit, we never had any chance to really support Afreeca beyond just watching it on YouTube.


Yeah this is the worst part of it for me -- I think many of us would be willing to directly support if there was a mechanism to do so. The fact of the matter is though, Afreeca doesn't care about foreigners, so why bother?

:/
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10397 Posts
March 03 2021 21:26 GMT
#283
On March 04 2021 05:57 ExO_ wrote:
Really just makes you wanna say "fuck off" to ASL.

How about no? Top level players and games will still be there, so how about we not be whiny children about it? This may be upsetting to those who for whatever reason can't watch Brood War without English, but it's ludicrous to tell the most prominent bastion of Brood War to fuck off.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
March 03 2021 21:30 GMT
#284
On March 04 2021 06:26 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2021 05:57 ExO_ wrote:
Really just makes you wanna say "fuck off" to ASL.

How about no? Top level players and games will still be there, so how about we not be whiny children about it? This may be upsetting to those who for whatever reason can't watch Brood War without English, but it's ludicrous to tell the most prominent bastion of Brood War to fuck off.


It's what they just told the foreign fans. And I acknowledge how important ASL has been in keeping BW going, and still feel angry about this decision.
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7176 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 21:40:30
March 03 2021 21:35 GMT
#285
On March 04 2021 06:26 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2021 05:57 ExO_ wrote:
Really just makes you wanna say "fuck off" to ASL.

How about no? Top level players and games will still be there, so how about we not be whiny children about it? This may be upsetting to those who for whatever reason can't watch Brood War without English, but it's ludicrous to tell the most prominent bastion of Brood War to fuck off.

I think they are coming from the point of view that they are watching ASL mostly cuz Tastosis is in.And it makes sense cuz they are product well followed.For example when i casted ASTL on afreeca the max viewers i got was like 300. im 100% sure those were hardcore fans of the game.Tastosis is able to bring way more.And i think is good to bring outside viewers. (from SC2) to Broodwar. But i also agree that i watched my whole life games in Korean.Even if i dont understand a thing it is just the perfect OST to the games
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10397 Posts
March 03 2021 21:37 GMT
#286
On March 04 2021 06:35 [sc1f]eonzerg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2021 06:26 Jealous wrote:
On March 04 2021 05:57 ExO_ wrote:
Really just makes you wanna say "fuck off" to ASL.

How about no? Top level players and games will still be there, so how about we not be whiny children about it? This may be upsetting to those who for whatever reason can't watch Brood War without English, but it's ludicrous to tell the most prominent bastion of Brood War to fuck off.

I think they are coming from the point of view that they are watching ASL mostly cuz Tastosis is in.And it makes sense cuz they are product well followed.For example when i casted ASTL on afreeca the max viewers i got was like 300. im 100% sure those were hardcore fans of the game.Tastosis is able to bring way more.And i think is good to bring outside viewers. (from SC2) to Broodwar. But i also agree that i watched my whole life games in Koreans.Even if i dont understand a thing it is just the perfect OST to the games

Yea, I totally understand the attraction of prominent personalities in the scene, and I do empathize with the loss those individuals experience after this announcement. However, that still isn't a reason to tell ASL to "fuck off," that's just childish.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
LML
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Germany1798 Posts
March 03 2021 21:39 GMT
#287
It's sad to see. Let's see if someone will request a clean feed and do a live cast in English.
LML
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 21:59:32
March 03 2021 21:54 GMT
#288
On March 04 2021 06:37 Jealous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2021 06:35 [sc1f]eonzerg wrote:
On March 04 2021 06:26 Jealous wrote:
On March 04 2021 05:57 ExO_ wrote:
Really just makes you wanna say "fuck off" to ASL.

How about no? Top level players and games will still be there, so how about we not be whiny children about it? This may be upsetting to those who for whatever reason can't watch Brood War without English, but it's ludicrous to tell the most prominent bastion of Brood War to fuck off.

I think they are coming from the point of view that they are watching ASL mostly cuz Tastosis is in.And it makes sense cuz they are product well followed.For example when i casted ASTL on afreeca the max viewers i got was like 300. im 100% sure those were hardcore fans of the game.Tastosis is able to bring way more.And i think is good to bring outside viewers. (from SC2) to Broodwar. But i also agree that i watched my whole life games in Koreans.Even if i dont understand a thing it is just the perfect OST to the games

Yea, I totally understand the attraction of prominent personalities in the scene, and I do empathize with the loss those individuals experience after this announcement. However, that still isn't a reason to tell ASL to "fuck off," that's just childish.


I think this is an oversimplification -- I've been watching BW since the days of 144p streams were you can barely see what's happening. I watched power outage beat Jaedong and Flash live. This was largely before english casts were a thing.

English casts are much better than non-english casts. And unfortunately, attempting to watch BW on Afreeca has given me mixed results at best. Their client often doesn't load for me, and it's not exactly like there is English support for issues on Afreeca.

I don't want to go back to the days of watching a shitty stream with shitty quality. That's obviously not where this is it, but it's a move backwards imo.
staRt.toDaY
Profile Joined March 2005
Germany40 Posts
March 03 2021 22:01 GMT
#289
This is bullshit
buendig
jahre
Profile Joined November 2008
United States95 Posts
March 03 2021 22:05 GMT
#290
This'll be my first post in years...essentially reviving from the dead.

Been watching GOM/ASL since I was 13. I'm 33 now. Sad time. Unfortunately, the money just isn't there anymore. The decision makes sense financially for ASL, but it's a devastating loss for the English community/fans.

Hopefully some form of casts continue into the future.
"I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best." -Walt Whitman
KrsNinja
Profile Joined December 2003
Norway24 Posts
March 03 2021 22:18 GMT
#291
This is completely horrible news.

Fortunately it could have been worse. Tastosis probably had non-compete clauses restricting them from certain activities. Lately Artosis started a new channel casting a korean game daily. These are really good. Whilst nothing can beat the combo of the two of them, it is at least now owned by Artosis himself and we do not risk an executive decision from non other then the man himself(which will never happen). In other words he can grow his base and keep his income and perhaps create something from that which is sustainable, it requires us all to watch and follow to so go for it;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf0ynO5nqkPq_7Xn-973d2w/videos
My tombstone will display: He reached 300 in APM
RuhZo
Profile Joined November 2020
9 Posts
March 03 2021 22:20 GMT
#292
It can't be understated how much of a blow this is for the non-korean starcraft scene. When Afreeca says "clean feed" do they mean they are providing one that won't have the audio from korean casters?
oxKnu
Profile Joined December 2017
1267 Posts
March 03 2021 22:32 GMT
#293
It would be amazing if someone like Nyoken teamed up with someone else to commentate over a clean feed of the ASL broadcasts.

In fact I would prefer that to Artosis and Tasteless since those two tend to go off-topic way too much for my tastes.

I've never had problems watching Afreeca streams so maybe that's why I'm not too affected by this.
ElMakac
Profile Joined February 2021
20 Posts
March 03 2021 22:44 GMT
#294
Is life even worth living anymore?
Jealous
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
10397 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-03 22:54:40
March 03 2021 22:54 GMT
#295
Honestly really surprised by the amount of people who seem really affected by this. Of course, it could be selection bias because only the most vocal will go through the trouble of logging in and making a post, but still. I was firmly convinced that I was in the majority of viewers in that I preferred the Korean casting and at worst could watch with no casting at all and not feel much deprived (such as during player streams). I guess I underestimated how many casual viewers there are, which is the demographic I feel must be most attached to English commentary.
"The right to vote is only the oar of the slaveship, I wanna be free." -- бум бум сучка!
iD.Surv
Profile Joined April 2004
Belgium827 Posts
March 03 2021 23:01 GMT
#296
What kind of nonsense is this afreecatv? This is a terrible decision.
Andreas3
Profile Joined March 2021
3 Posts
March 03 2021 23:09 GMT
#297
This fucking sucks, I was just getting into Broodwar again since 1999 solely because of the Tastosis english casts.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8713 Posts
March 03 2021 23:21 GMT
#298
On March 04 2021 07:54 Jealous wrote:
Honestly really surprised by the amount of people who seem really affected by this. Of course, it could be selection bias because only the most vocal will go through the trouble of logging in and making a post, but still. I was firmly convinced that I was in the majority of viewers in that I preferred the Korean casting and at worst could watch with no casting at all and not feel much deprived (such as during player streams). I guess I underestimated how many casual viewers there are, which is the demographic I feel must be most attached to English commentary.


This thread already has the same amount of posts as the LR thread of the last ASL finals, lol. It's a lot of people who don't usually post so I would be hesitant to call them the vocal minority.

Anyways, I think the viewership of streams show that people prefer english over korean streams. In the echo chamber of TL that may seem a bit different but I think in terms of actual numbers, the people who prefer the korean stream are actually the vocal minority (on TL). The high number of viewers on koreans streams stems from actual koreans I assume. Also, as it was eluded to before, a lot care about Tastosis more than about other casts or BW in general. Although I would also say that other tournaments get way less viewership than ASL general so it's not really comparable (300 views on ASTL doesn't seem too bad TT1).
PVJ
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Hungary5221 Posts
March 03 2021 23:27 GMT
#299
Horrible horrible. I'd be even show me what its worth it, if only there was a way
The heart's eternal vow
lostusername123
Profile Joined October 2020
47 Posts
March 03 2021 23:42 GMT
#300
it's sad for fans, but very few people care about BW outside of KR, so it's expected honestly, Tastosis is not cheap
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O176
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 493
ZZZero.O 176
Hyun 157
Dota 2
monkeys_forever423
League of Legends
Doublelift3976
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4372
Liquid`Hasu443
Other Games
summit1g14220
FrodaN1547
JimRising 390
KnowMe240
Livibee194
ViBE117
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick866
BasetradeTV1
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Adnapsc2 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra1190
Other Games
• imaqtpie1007
• Shiphtur564
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 47m
Patches Events
15h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 47m
OSC
23h 47m
OSC
1d 12h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.