• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:52
CEST 22:52
KST 05:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6950 users

Saying Goodbye to ASL English - Page 16

Forum Index > BW General
744 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 38 Next All
Turbovolver
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia2452 Posts
March 03 2021 23:53 GMT
#301
LOL at all the people talking about the "foreign BW community" that re-registered or logged in for the first time in 5 years just to post here.

This really sucks, but the sad reality is it makes perfect financial sense. Maybe AfreecaTV could have done better to leverage the foreign audience here, but let's not pretend they were really raking it in from those 50-100k youtube views.

Please be grown-ups about this.
The original Bogus fan.
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
March 03 2021 23:56 GMT
#302
its a shame :/
Will still watch and support
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
sixfour
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
England11062 Posts
March 03 2021 23:56 GMT
#303
On March 04 2021 06:35 [sc1f]eonzerg wrote:
I think they are coming from the point of view that they are watching ASL mostly cuz Tastosis is in.And it makes sense cuz they are product well followed.For example when i casted ASTL on afreeca the max viewers i got was like 300. im 100% sure those were hardcore fans of the game.Tastosis is able to bring way more.And i think is good to bring outside viewers. (from SC2) to Broodwar. But i also agree that i watched my whole life games in Korean.Even if i dont understand a thing it is just the perfect OST to the games


I don't necessarily agree with that. It's basically impossible to feel any sort of connection to a group of distinct players drawn together to form a "team" who'll just go their separate ways straight after. Seems to be making content between ASL seasons just for the sake of it to fill time. It's more or less the complete opposite of Proleague, where there is an actual connection between the players within the teams that can span across multiple seasons, each of which was much, much longer. I'd watch it pretty much every morning, and would never miss a Stars game even if I needed to catch up on VODs. On the other hand, I don't think I've watched a single set of ASTL. Nothing to do with the casters and I find it pretty much impossible to believe that people are only watching ASL because of Tastosis (unless they are using Tastosis as a proxy for "some sort of English commentator")
p: stats, horang2, free, jangbi z: soulkey, zero, shine, hydra t: leta, hiya, sea
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-04 00:23:35
March 04 2021 00:21 GMT
#304
How about A BIG FUCKING NO!!! I'm so angry and I don't even know how to express my feelings right now. Everything that happens lately feels like we're downgrading, going backwards.
Ok whatever, then let Tastosis to cast games from their homes, give them clear audio channel with only game sounds on, we will support them!
sunbeams are never made like me...
StasisField
Profile Joined August 2013
United States1086 Posts
March 04 2021 00:29 GMT
#305
Some of y'all are acting like Afreeca's official message was "we hate people outside of Korea. Fuck you." when this is clearly a business decision. Quit taking things so personally. If Afreeca can't financially justify the English ASL stream anymore, then they can't justify the English ASL stream anymore. As much as we'd all love for them to support all forms of starcraft out of the kindness of their hearts, they are a business and they have people to pay, targets to hit, and investors to please. It's just business. Passion only gets you so far.
What do you mean Immortals can't shoot up?
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
March 04 2021 00:30 GMT
#306
On March 04 2021 07:54 Jealous wrote:
Honestly really surprised by the amount of people who seem really affected by this. Of course, it could be selection bias because only the most vocal will go through the trouble of logging in and making a post, but still. I was firmly convinced that I was in the majority of viewers in that I preferred the Korean casting and at worst could watch with no casting at all and not feel much deprived (such as during player streams). I guess I underestimated how many casual viewers there are, which is the demographic I feel must be most attached to English commentary.

On March 04 2021 07:54 Jealous wrote:
Honestly really surprised by the amount of people who seem really affected by this. Of course, it could be selection bias because only the most vocal will go through the trouble of logging in and making a post, but still. I was firmly convinced that I was in the majority of viewers in that I preferred the Korean casting and at worst could watch with no casting at all and not feel much deprived (such as during player streams). I guess I underestimated how many casual viewers there are, which is the demographic I feel must be most attached to English commentary.

This surprised you? The ASL views for their English VoDs are pretty gigantic compared to numbers for much else I’ve seen from foreign land, ofc it’s a big showy tournament so that of course is a huge boost too.

I’m not alone in folks I know in playing BW as a kid, not knowing TL even existed and discovering this whole scene with a rich history after SC2 launched. Read many a TL feature, watched many a VoD and stream since and bemoaning this whole world I would have loved if I’d have found it.

Maybe if I’d started grinding BW in my early 20s I’d be up to a certain level to understand the games in more than simplistic terms.

As it is I’m 31 and my various responsibilities both human and otherwise would be quite pissed off at me if I started grinding BW, although it would be nice. I kind of rely on casters pointing out subtleties, LR threads on here too if they’re active enough.

On the plus side I do know who the players are, their rough styles and histories, their personalities now more so thanks to some great translations from jinjin.

Tasteless and Artosis are the bridge from SC2 players who either through burnout in that game or just fondness for BW that they may have played casually to know vaguely what is going on in games, and also (which is I feel understated), framing who the players are, what they’re like, what the stakes are. Those things any decent English caster can provide but Tastosis were the soundtrack to many of the great moments in our game of choice and having two old friends easing you in to another game was great.

I mean I’m 1/2, lacking the sufficient game knowledge to really get a good nuanced flavour of what’s going on, but at least I know the players etc. For people who are 0/2 I mean, why would you watch a game you can’t follow what the players are doing and you don’t know who the players are?

I could envisage me checking out the odd game still without English coms, be it a particularly hyped matchup or pure Bisu fanboyism.

It just thoroughly sucks all round really, I hope some English option is possible, Ive enjoyed guys like Nyoken in the recent past so it doesn’t have to be Tastosis or anything!

I think there’s far too much anger being thrown at Afreeca here at times, much as it sucks.


'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Embryo923
Profile Joined April 2019
29 Posts
March 04 2021 00:49 GMT
#307
Terrible and really sad.
knotfun
Profile Joined July 2019
41 Posts
March 04 2021 00:52 GMT
#308
wow, fuck you afreeca. you just killed the best show ever.
Pangpootata
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
1838 Posts
March 04 2021 00:55 GMT
#309
The foreign viewership for BW is not that big and doesn't justify the additional cost of english casting. It's completely immature to hate on them for that.

Anyway I'm used to watching Proleague/OSL/MSL in korean, so time for some nostalgia
PDizzle
Profile Joined May 2011
Denmark1754 Posts
March 04 2021 00:58 GMT
#310
as many other i had to login for the first time in years to express the sadness of this...

ASL was one of the few things to look forward to recently... the recent seasons of ASL even had me playing BW
jakarti
Profile Joined August 2017
13 Posts
March 04 2021 00:59 GMT
#311
Could be wrong but I feel there are enough brood war fans willing to pay for a Tastosis cast that some kind of Patreon should be possible. ASL is like 20+ hours of content. Don't really know if some kind of live cast would be possible through patreon using the afreecatv feed but even casted youtube VODs would be great.
knotfun
Profile Joined July 2019
41 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-04 01:06:32
March 04 2021 01:06 GMT
#312
On March 04 2021 09:59 jakarti wrote:
Could be wrong but I feel there are enough brood war fans willing to pay for a Tastosis cast that some kind of Patreon should be possible. ASL is like 20+ hours of content. Don't really know if some kind of live cast would be possible through patreon using the afreecatv feed but even casted youtube VODs would be great.


i have never subscribed for a single Patreon, but i'd pay 100 bucks to watch an ASL season english casted live in studio as usual. for real, Afreeca, you're paying the best SC commentators and waste them on fucking Valorant. did I just say fuck you?

User was warned for this post.
ruhtraeel
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada137 Posts
March 04 2021 01:30 GMT
#313
I'm also holding out hope that once COVID is over, Afreeca will have enough of a revenue bump again to be able to hire Tastosis for casting.
Sabu113
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States11110 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-04 01:34:20
March 04 2021 01:31 GMT
#314
This sucks. I always wondered how it worked for ASL so it makes sense but it really sucks. Hope Artosis is Ok.

Bleh. I really, really enjoyed the Tastosis casts. Caught all of them on youtube.

Thanks for what you did ASL. Thanks for allowing restreams. Glad you're hosting a great event again. Wish there was some way for foreign BW casts to continue for tastosis.
Biomine is a drunken chick who is on industrial strength amphetamines and would just grab your dick and jerk it as hard and violently as she could while screaming 'OMG FUCK ME', because she saw it in a Sasha Grey video ...-Wombat_Ni
Immaterial
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada510 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-04 01:44:42
March 04 2021 01:39 GMT
#315
Worst news ever it was a good run though, was really fun while it lasted. I was worried this might happen tbh so it isn’t a huge surprise.

If there is any possibility of at least pursuing the option of crowdfunding I would happily contribute to it. Give us a direct way to support ASL English casts and I’m certain it will happen.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
allan871
Profile Joined February 2011
China21 Posts
March 04 2021 01:40 GMT
#316
Reviving my account also since maybe 10 years ago.

I watched every ASL and SC2 tournaments when it was still GOMTV and became very attached to the English cast. We see players come and go due to different reasons but our cast is always there with us.

I don't know what to say but sure am disappointed.
radracer
Profile Joined March 2020
United States77 Posts
March 04 2021 01:57 GMT
#317
So fucking sad, I really can't watch broodwar without tastosis casting. So fucking sad. Replays casted by other people are just not the same.
old
Turbovolver
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia2452 Posts
March 04 2021 02:32 GMT
#318
I will say though, yeah, Tastosis are awesome.
The original Bogus fan.
Bfmbassist
Profile Joined February 2019
United States2 Posts
March 04 2021 03:18 GMT
#319
I am Very Sad to hear this news. I thought a lot more positively of Afreeca than I do at this moment. Afreeca, please undo this. Put them back into the casters chairs and start charging money. Tasteless and Artosis have created a community from nothing. They are smart, they know what they're doing. I have laughed so hard at so many of their random rants and jokes over the years. I would wake up early during an ASL Season just to lay in bed and listen to the casts. I'd happily pay to see them cast broodwar. I really hope they can work as a team and create their own broodwar tournament or something. They have something so special together. Thank you to Artosis and Tasteless for all the years of epic Starcraft.
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-04 05:39:30
March 04 2021 05:39 GMT
#320
On March 04 2021 10:30 ruhtraeel wrote:
I'm also holding out hope that once COVID is over, Afreeca will have enough of a revenue bump again to be able to hire Tastosis for casting.


If anything shouldn't Afreeca have higher revenues during Covid because people are home more and hence watch streams more?
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O131
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 584
ZZZero.O 131
soO 57
Hyun 49
Dota 2
qojqva2443
League of Legends
Doublelift2013
Counter-Strike
fl0m4933
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4216
Liquid`Hasu659
Other Games
summit1g6633
FrodaN1352
KnowMe341
ToD296
Pyrionflax189
420jenkins184
Livibee180
QueenE103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick774
StarCraft 2
angryscii 36
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 55
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 2042
Other Games
• imaqtpie890
• Shiphtur591
• Scarra368
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 8m
Patches Events
18h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 8m
OSC
1d 2h
OSC
1d 15h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.