• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:34
CEST 14:34
KST 21:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13533 users

What's with all the hostility? - Page 4

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27 28 Next All
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
July 27 2011 23:25 GMT
#61
On July 28 2011 08:23 Rinrun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:22 ThePianoDentist wrote:
for anybody wanting to purchase brood war for single player i recently got it cheap off amazon but couldnt find any cd key anywhere, but if you have a problem with that just google brood war cd key generator.


How dare you? Talking about a key gen? Buy the game, support them.

My Raynor Dog Tag kinda is a key gen..... you know unlimited CD codes
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
wassbix
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada499 Posts
July 27 2011 23:29 GMT
#62
On July 28 2011 08:23 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:22 Crisium wrote:
So it annoys you when someone points out SC2 trolls on a Brood War forum? You are attempting to compare that to your baseless remarks that ignore several pages worth of examples?

Sorry just read some of the other comments I must say it was pretty bad I'll accept my loss here. But I honestly just get the feel alot of Brood War fans are elitist people that just look down on other people because we play SC2.


No one looks down on other people for playing some other videogame. People get annoyed when SC2 players come to the BW section to perform SC2 chest beating on a topic that has nothing to do with SC2. Yellow retire -> he coming to sc2!!! MBCgame in trouble -> Flash coming to sc2!!!

It has no merit and its annoying.
Meteora.GB
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada2479 Posts
July 27 2011 23:30 GMT
#63
Because there's a lot of immature and ignorant SC2 fans that keep talking about how great SC2 is and dismiss BW, or how they keep mentioning on their pros should switch over to SC2 instead of playing BW.
Ikonn
Profile Joined October 2009
Netherlands1958 Posts
July 27 2011 23:30 GMT
#64
it's just irritating that whenever a newsitem gets posted with even the smallest bit of negativity wrt Brood War, there will inevitably be a group of SC2 fans (and it's a very small vocal minority, I realize that) that'll jump in there and post stuff like "so bw is dying? cool, is Flash playing SC2 yet?". It grinds my gears.

I personally have no hate for SC2, I even still have it installed, I just have no interest in watching it after trying some games from the TSL3. I think that if BW were to die I'll just find a different hobby
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
July 27 2011 23:31 GMT
#65
On July 28 2011 08:23 Rinrun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:22 ThePianoDentist wrote:
for anybody wanting to purchase brood war for single player i recently got it cheap off amazon but couldnt find any cd key anywhere, but if you have a problem with that just google brood war cd key generator.


How dare you? Talking about a key gen? Buy the game, support them.

Besides the above, I accept both with open arms.


erm....i did buy the game?
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-27 23:35:59
July 27 2011 23:33 GMT
#66
Honestly, if you want a list of reasons why the two communities are at odds, try the MBCGame thread, which is a cesspool of trolls, and people typing eSports in all-caps (pet peeve).

On July 27 2011 21:32 HEROwithNOlegacy wrote:
Cya later broodwar, Starcraft II will easily become king now with contracts up in august and MBCgame announcing their change to a music station. Gl to the players and MBC game.

User was warned for this post


On July 27 2011 17:36 SCSaampson wrote:
I can't wait for SC:BW to be gone. This is the first step. Old games are old.

User was banned for this post.


On July 27 2011 17:43 Abrafred wrote:
silly hipsters.. bw is old

User was temp banned for this post.



On July 28 2011 01:56 rasers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 01:39 raistline123 wrote:
On July 28 2011 01:35 Mannerheim wrote:
On July 28 2011 01:24 raistline123 wrote:
I apologize for asking this question, but why is everyone saying that if BW dies e-sports will follow behind it?

And why would it be bad for the SC2 scene?


A major media company decides eSports is not a worthy investment, how could it not be bad for SC2?



A major media company in Korea, SC2 is thriving in the west. I'm not trying to be rude or cause any trouble, but I can't see how this would effect SC2 or E-sports in general.

Yea it may be dying in Korea but ESPORTS is thriving throughout the rest of the world

how is there some "esport" in the fuckign west? its NOTHING. u kids go berserk over 80k people WORLD WIDE FUCKING WORLD WIDE. this is like nothing? fucking west "esport" is a joke. u throw 500 tournaments at each other. top 10 can make a living out of it. rest can mb play it for 1 year fulltime and then do somethign else again. how can u srsly call that a sports?

and now that u have koreanas coming over getting the money.

4 5 years from now on. next big RTS or whatever "omg THE esports game" will come out. and everyone of you will say "cu SCII time for somethign new" how the fuck is that a sports?.


I have to admit, though, I love "koreanas"


On July 28 2011 07:47 rasers wrote:
"passion. SC2." i loled :D 4 5 yearsa from now on Wc4 or SC3 or wahtever comes out and ur passion for this awful game is gone because u will jump on the new shit. nice passion you have there.


This is actually the one that always bugs me. The "Even SC2 fans don't like SC2, they just think they do because they're stupid".

It's just a lot of trolls, and that fosters hate for everyone else.

On July 28 2011 08:29 wassbix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:23 Blasterion wrote:
On July 28 2011 08:22 Crisium wrote:
So it annoys you when someone points out SC2 trolls on a Brood War forum? You are attempting to compare that to your baseless remarks that ignore several pages worth of examples?

Sorry just read some of the other comments I must say it was pretty bad I'll accept my loss here. But I honestly just get the feel alot of Brood War fans are elitist people that just look down on other people because we play SC2.


No one looks down on other people for playing some other videogame.


Yes, they totally do.
humanimal
Profile Joined June 2010
United States151 Posts
July 27 2011 23:39 GMT
#67
On July 28 2011 08:29 wassbix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:23 Blasterion wrote:
On July 28 2011 08:22 Crisium wrote:
So it annoys you when someone points out SC2 trolls on a Brood War forum? You are attempting to compare that to your baseless remarks that ignore several pages worth of examples?

Sorry just read some of the other comments I must say it was pretty bad I'll accept my loss here. But I honestly just get the feel alot of Brood War fans are elitist people that just look down on other people because we play SC2.


No one looks down on other people for playing some other videogame. People get annoyed when SC2 players come to the BW section to perform SC2 chest beating on a topic that has nothing to do with SC2. Yellow retire -> he coming to sc2!!! MBCgame in trouble -> Flash coming to sc2!!!

It has no merit and its annoying.


Sadly some people do. Much of it because they want SC2 to play more like BW (which i personally would like). The focuses of the game just end up being different (mechanically) and there's disputes over how that affects gameplay. Hopefully blizzard will continue patching in the right direction and we'll eventually get something for all to love...
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
July 27 2011 23:43 GMT
#68
On July 28 2011 08:23 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:22 Crisium wrote:
So it annoys you when someone points out SC2 trolls on a Brood War forum? You are attempting to compare that to your baseless remarks that ignore several pages worth of examples?

Sorry just read some of the other comments I must say it was pretty bad I'll accept my loss here. But I honestly just get the feel alot of Brood War fans are elitist people that just look down on other people because we play SC2.


I dont look down on pro sc2 players but I definitely look down on the rest. I feel no guilt in thinking that players that are afraid of single building select and the lack of a find match button are cowards
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
July 27 2011 23:44 GMT
#69
its not as bad as the clash between pc and console gamers on battlefield forums for bad company 2 lol. so many people got banned, if anyone thinks bw players are elitist dics you should see some pc fps gamers.

having spent time on forums with way lower moderation that this i've just learnt to develop a good trolldar and just ignore stupid posts....often my own :shifty:
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
July 27 2011 23:45 GMT
#70
On July 28 2011 06:18 Eternal Dalek wrote:
I'm a Starcraft 2 player, and I sometimes lurk in the other forums here on TL.net to check up on how things are going. One thing that I have noticed in the BW forums is the hostility towards Starcraft 2, and to a lesser extent, its players. I find this quite odd as most Starcraft 2 players and pros that I know of speak very fondly of BW, placing it high on a pedestal as one of the greatest creations of humanity.

BW fans hate SC2, SC2 fans hate League of Legends. The SC2 community has no right to complain about intolerance from the BW community.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
July 27 2011 23:49 GMT
#71
On July 28 2011 08:43 puppykiller wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 08:23 Blasterion wrote:
On July 28 2011 08:22 Crisium wrote:
So it annoys you when someone points out SC2 trolls on a Brood War forum? You are attempting to compare that to your baseless remarks that ignore several pages worth of examples?

Sorry just read some of the other comments I must say it was pretty bad I'll accept my loss here. But I honestly just get the feel alot of Brood War fans are elitist people that just look down on other people because we play SC2.


I dont look down on pro sc2 players but I definitely look down on the rest. I feel no guilt in thinking that players that are afraid of single building select and the lack of a find match button are cowards


i doubt someone would choose to play sc2 over brood war just because you can ctrl group buildings?

maybe that's the kind of elitist attitude the 'troll'? mentioned. there's no reason to look down on anyone. yes a few things like that make bw mechanics a bit harder, but maybe people just prefer the more streamlined slightly simpler mechanics allowing them to focus more on battles and strategies...doesnt make them a better or worse player or deserved to be looked down upon.
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Hesmyrr
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-27 23:59:09
July 27 2011 23:55 GMT
#72
This is a good place for people to release their frustrations.

I personally fall under the 'I really don't care' (like how I would handle homosexuals), I wish all the success to SC2 and honestly this being internets there will always be flames on both sides anyhow. Now whether this segregation is actually good for the community is another matter...

@ThePianoDentist
yep, that's the elitist attitude. Or at least other people will perceive it as one. As long as every member of each community have their opinions, conflict - like I said before - will simply be inevitable. But at least we can be civil about it~
"If watching the MSL finals makes you a progamer, then anyone in Korea can do it." - Ha Tae Ki
DorF
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden961 Posts
July 27 2011 23:56 GMT
#73
Yeah, the thing is all the hostility I've seen actually comes out every time there's a BW stream, some random sc2 player pops in with the standard " Do ppl still play BW lolz? " or "Theese graphics are horrible" etc etc, I don't really know what other hostility there is
Besides as soon as someone or anyone wants to start playing BW and they've made a thread they get heaps of support, advice and encouragement so I think you're just looking in the wrong places.
You said that some of your friends hold BW in high regard, It is not odd since alot of Sc2 players that have played the game actually enjoyed it but the majority of people who play BW are actually people who have played Sc2 and they have renounced it, for a reason and hence most people who play Bw actually hate the game.
I'm sorry if I'm not making as much sense as would be expected of me but I am a little tired

Oh! just thought of something, the thing with the sc2 people trolling on Bw streams all the time is the reason for the "No Sc2 talk" rule on most BW streams since everytime it happens a shitstorm erupts and no streamer wants that.
BW for life !
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
July 27 2011 23:59 GMT
#74
I personally feel like SC2 sucked a lot of life out of the BroodWar scene. I played SC2, and it was a lot of fun, but on the flip side, I still enjoy BroodWar more. I have an uncanny fondness for BW, almost protective of it. If that seems silly, it could very well be just that - but a few thousand people left in the foreign scene of BroodWar feel the same way. Therefore, when SC2 looks like a threat to "our" precious BroodWar, naturally, there's going to be hostility towards the evil outsider.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
July 28 2011 00:05 GMT
#75
i've been boycotting sc2 because blizzard is such a dick
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
July 28 2011 00:05 GMT
#76
On July 28 2011 07:25 Kipsate wrote:
Because there is always someone who must click the OSL/MSL/PL stream on the sidebar and type

:

People still play this game?
Some shit about graphics.
Make vikings or infestors
Why haven't they switched to sc2 yet''

or something along that, while it doesn't picture the entire SC2 community at all, I tend to get 5 or more trolls each time BW is on, its annoying as hell. You don't see BW people enter a SC2 stream and start telling people that their X favorite player would be nothing then a scrub or a B teamer at best in BW. . Moreover, I have argued in multiple SC2 VS BW threads and really, for some reason people can not look beyond the LOL NO MBS AND AUTOMINING IS STUPID and find the real reasons why BW is such a good game.

Then again, I haven't been here a long while so I don't know what the old Bw forums were like(e.g 3 years ago) but that is my observation for now.

This sums up what I was going to say for the most part. 90% of the people I have banned from my stream chat are from people who come in and say that kind of crap you listed.

I have nothing against SC2 itself, but it irks me when SC2 > BW players feel they need to cause a scene. I only see BW guys start flaming in retaliation for the most part.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
KoTakUEurO
Profile Joined May 2011
605 Posts
July 28 2011 00:16 GMT
#77
i think in general ppl don't hate SC2, I myself avidly watch all SC2 tourneys and BW ones. I think what ticks ppl off is ppl who have never played BW or haven't read threads coming around and going "There's a sequel to BW u know, why don't u switch"
xarthaz
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1704 Posts
July 28 2011 00:17 GMT
#78
The bitterness is not from the outside, or the new sc2 player influx, it is from ourselves. Some of the bitterness is related to coming to accept the world around us changing, when we do not. You see, in the larger scale, the casualisation of the gaming culture is one of the hardest things to come to copes for diehards
Aah thats the stuff..
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-28 00:34:48
July 28 2011 00:20 GMT
#79
My biggest issue is that sc2 fans on tl (which outnumber bw these days by quite a bit) like to stroll into BW general any time there's a new thread or bw news update and inject offtopic sc2 shit, which they know full-well will just annoy the bw fans. Every time.

Flash's wrist? come to sc2!
STX roster trades? zomg come to sc2!
bnet attack? i want _____ to move to sc2 already!
YellOw reitiring? oh god slayers'yellow!1!eleven!
mbcgame changing format? this is great news for sc2!
LR threads? he needs to get broodlords!

And that isn't even counting the trolls who just come in to say "bw sucks" / "bw is going to die" / "these graphics are terrible" / "i cant believe these guys are still playing such an ancient game" / etc.

Believe me, it gets old quite fast. If sc2 fans wanted to, they could just make a circlejerk thread for these comments in sc2 general and it wouldn't bother us in the least.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
wassbix
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada499 Posts
July 28 2011 00:24 GMT
#80
On July 28 2011 09:17 xarthaz wrote:
The bitterness is not from the outside, or the new sc2 player influx, it is from ourselves. Some of the bitterness is related to coming to accept the world around us changing, when we do not. You see, in the larger scale, the casualisation of the gaming culture is one of the hardest things to come to copes for diehards


Obviously BW is going to die sooner or later, that's not what annoys people. What annoys people is people injecting SC2 into BW thread when many people in BW section simply don't follow or care for SC2.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings114
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko304
SHIN 182
ProTech142
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35848
Hyuk 1592
Bisu 1533
Shuttle 1335
EffOrt 364
Mind 362
Larva 300
firebathero 254
Soma 180
Mini 163
[ Show more ]
ZerO 150
Last 141
Hm[arnc] 92
Leta 90
Zeus 78
Pusan 67
hero 54
Hyun 54
Killer 42
Sexy 40
Bale 37
Trap 37
ToSsGirL 31
PianO 27
Aegong 24
sorry 21
zelot 16
yabsab 13
Noble 11
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc2541
qojqva1318
Dendi1101
XcaliburYe443
XaKoH 414
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1559
crisheroes327
Other Games
gofns34988
singsing2579
B2W.Neo1161
Happy231
DeMusliM224
Livibee115
ToD113
Mew2King108
ArmadaUGS49
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream165
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 65
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8683
League of Legends
• Jankos1630
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 26m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 26m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 26m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 26m
INu's Battles
23h 26m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.