My winrate has improved of course as the better players moved out of D ranks. I'm bouncing around the 1200s right now, although I'd probably be going up if I didn't ask for re against anyone who beats me. But I'm trying to improve, and especially against protoss, I'm trying to find the build that works for me.
I listen to "trance" music or whatever it's called, ever since I saw ret's stream a while ago with some of that music playing. It can really pump you up while you're playing. Here's a couple songs on my list:
+ Show Spoiler +
( 4)ZvZ: 2- 2 50.0%
(19)ZvP: 4-15 21.0%
(10)ZvT: 5- 5 50.0%
(17)ZvZ: 5-12 29.4%
(31)ZvP: 5-26 16.1%
(14)ZvT: 8- 6 57.1%
ZvZ: I'm falling in love with early pool openings again as I'm learning how to beat players who respond by building spores. I almost never make scourge... I wonder if that's good or bad.
ZvP: Seems like when I go the "standard" 3hatch scourge to 5 hatch hydra build, I do okay for a while, but then I either get run over by superior army and/or stormed to death. My assessment is that 5hatch production is fine for a while, but as Protoss' tech tree fills out and he adds to 8~12 gates (total), I can't keep up with my 5~7 hatches. I've been trying different builds, such as 5hatch before gas, which I feel a bit uncomfortable with because the lair is so late, but I may give it another try yet. Also tried a 4hatch lurker and got raped, although that guy was way better than me. The only build I've had some success with is 3hath muta into 5hatch hydra. Just like ZvT build 3hatch muta as far as BO, the idea is to destroy their mineral line if possible (9mutas+4/6 scourge is a strong force) otherwise just disrupt their shit. Kill templar (this is about the time they'll be produced from the gates) destroy pylons supporting the gates, etc. After the mutas, an immediate switch to hydras. I don't know if it's a good build though, but it's the only one that seems to work for me. Many tosses don't properly defend their mineral line, even when their first sair scouts 9 larva just before the spire finishes.
As for now though, I'm still pretty lost in this matchup. I have lots of ideas, and none of them seem to work very well.
ZvT: I've run into only a couple games of standard play, a couple cheeses (poorly executed), and mostly mech play. I've gotten a lot more comfortable against mech, and I now build a sunk in my main standard when I scout mech. 3hatch drone-whoring + nat sunk + main sunk + 2 hydras seems to get me far ahead economically, then I control/harass with mutas and expo, etc.
1. Is 5hatch before gas straight into 5hatch hydra a viable strategy, or does it get owned by DTs too badly to be useful?
2. When I go 3hatch spire into 5 hatch hydra, what should I be doing with my hydras? attacking? defending? preventing expos?
3. With the 3hatch scourge/5hatch hydra build, I my understanding is that I get ~30 hydra, then 9 muta for sniping, but then what? More hydra? Hive tech ultra/ling? Currently I've just been making hydra nonstop, and that's not working. But I don't like the idea of getting all these hydra ups, and then switching tech to unupgraded lings or whatever.
4. What are your thoughts on the build I outlined above? Good? Bad?
1. Does 3 base mech always beat 5 base muta/hydra? Seems like 3/3 mech is unstoppable compared to 2 base mech, which is a pushover. I suppose I should have gotten swarm eventually.
As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome.