I did a little surfing on the internet and found this, indeed, is a trend these days.
Here are my initial thoughts to people that are claiming to be polyamorous.
Disclaimer: This is going to come off as super judgmental and critical. But these are just my unfiltered thoughts and reflections. Feel free to stab back at me in the comments below.
1. You're a sexual shit head with a great excuse now for your noncommittal ways
2. You're afraid of commitment, that's all. You're probably not polyamorous
3. It'll be awesome when your heart is broken again by a woman/man also in many relationships; and that's when you'll learn you're not actually polyamorous. This will be awesome because the pain should kickstart your emotions to consider other options, and show you the value of commitment and 1-1 relationships
4. You probably don't want kids. And you probably don't want marriage. So if that's the case, I guess your relational state will work for you if you find like-minded people
5. You should never have kids because children greatly benefit from dedicated parents to raise them
6. If you were raised by individuals preferring exclusive relationships, you will undoubtedly be in much turmoil as your current behaviors contradict the way you were raised, thus increasing the chances for volatility in your own relationships, thus perpetuating a fucked up relational track record, thus you need many partners to sustain any type of connection with the people around you as all of your relationships are shit/shallow
7. You probably come from a broken family and have some relationship trauma in your life
8. You're probably not ugly, so you can actually attract many partners. But you're relying on your attractiveness as your social currency and not learning how to dive deep with your emotions and character as your social currency
9. Deep, committed relationships are a key part of our maturity/transformation. Our committed partners are a mirror reflecting back to us our character. Yes, we can find these things in our friends and family too but so much of our efforts will go into our lovers and by not achieving deep connection it's a missed opportunity to change for the better
Edit: removed 1 thought/reflection as the judgement made was too harsh. added a disclaimer.