• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:09
CEST 07:09
KST 14:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7789 users

[PBR] Midsummer Night's Dream

Blogs > Pholon
Post a Reply
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-07 09:48:18
May 07 2009 09:45 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler [Introduction] +
Literature and reading, although a hobby that appears to be at least somewhat present among TL's members, doesn't really have a place on TL. Apart from the divination of 1984 (which everybody appears to have read) no literary discussion is apparent on a regular basis. Searching "book", "books" and "literature" yielded a couple of topics and, apart from the "recommend me a book" or "help me find x book" topics (that were shortlived), the only real effort was made in the TL Bookclub. It appears though that said club was also shortlived as it only made it through a single book.
The topic did have quite some people who expressed their interest in reading, they just never followed through. As I'm a fan of reading good book I'm gonna try and launch a little project I named "Pholon's Book Reviews". Basically I pic a book I read, write a little blurb about it and hope to get some discussion going. We'll see if it'll fly. I've got like 3 more books lined up for this and I guess we'll see how the response is after that.
Comments in this topic would be great. If you guys feel like reading along or suggesting books it would be great, get a little discussion going. The first book I picked up is Shakespeare's Midsummernight's Dream which you can read in a couple of hours. So if you feel like joining please pick it up, read it, and come share your opinions. I'll try to anounce the 'next up' as well.
Anyway, seeing the viewers trend in my former blogs this one will have an estimated 0,98 replies, so my hopes aren't that high. I'll tr to keep this up weekly thouh, and at least I got to make a banner.




[image loading]

Pholon's Book Reviews #1:
William Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream


Good old Shakespeare should require little introduction as his works are renowned all around the world. Perhaps most famous for his tragedies (Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet), he also wrote a good number of comedies. Last week, I read A Midsummer Night’s Dream and it was absolutely delightful.

Anyone who’s read either of his works will agree Shakespeare is a very, very good writer. Despite the text being ages old it in no way alienates me as a 21st century reader. The lighthearted characters sweep you up right from the start and the dialogue and jokes are witty as fuck. When Hermia’s father only consents to marrying his daughter to Demetrius, Lysander, Hermia’s lover, remarks “if you like him so well, why don’t you marry him?” (only in ye olde English and a perfect meter). This certainly made me bark a laugh (trans: "lol irl"). And even though Shakespeare was revered, even in his day and age, he doesn’t refrain from the mundane boob and bum jokes our modern day American Pie humour loves so well. When a character is transformed into an ass (that is, a donkey), even Bill can’t help himself and makes every corny remark one can think of. Of course, this is all done with the grace and style suiting world’s best (arguably) writer.

The Phyramus and Thisbe theme is, again, used. One might be tired of it by now, but it didn’t bother me as much since the twist it has been given is sublime. At first I felt the 5th act (there usually are 4) was a bit of an appendix, not really adding to the story and kind of dragging on, but besides the clumsy play itself, the Waldorf and Statler type remarks of the audience are gems. I was hoping for a bit more mischief from the puck, but he isn’t really the main character anyway.

When you come down to it, I imagine Shakespeare just thought of the most eloquent way to say “I can’t see; your hairy balls are in the way” and wrote a play around it just to support that. That’s what literature is people: well-phrased vulgarity. If you imagine Shakespeare being too high class, too old or too difficult for you, this play will prove you wrong. To those who haven’t read this yet: go get a copy now.

Pholon’s grade: 9/10

Next Up: John Boyne – The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas


*****
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
Yaqoob
Profile Blog Joined March 2005
Canada3408 Posts
May 07 2009 10:43 GMT
#2
My favorite writing of Shakespeare would have to be Macbeth.
김택용 Fighting!
Vex
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Ireland454 Posts
May 07 2009 12:45 GMT
#3
Rofl @ scv in picture, good work man
"Bonjwa" is the most retarded word ever. Wtf does it even sound like.
poilord
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Germany3252 Posts
May 07 2009 12:50 GMT
#4
I've only read R&J, Hamlet, Macbeth and The Tempest so far, so I'll probably pick this one up next, once I get time to read some books apart the ones I have to read for uni : /
deL
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Australia5540 Posts
May 07 2009 13:32 GMT
#5
[image loading]


Last week, I read A Midsummer Night’s Dream and it was absolutely delightful.
Gaming videos for fun ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/WijLopenLos
Piko
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States75 Posts
May 07 2009 23:47 GMT
#6
We read this at school like three years ago; the only part I remember is.. something about fairies. And Shakespearean English is hard to understand, imo.
P.S. Your SCV is so cute!
Iankill
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Canada109 Posts
May 08 2009 03:42 GMT
#7
On May 07 2009 19:43 Yaqoob wrote:
My favorite writing of Shakespeare would have to be Macbeth.

I've read both Macbeth and Midsummers Night's Dream and i found Macbeth far superior as well.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-08 04:16:11
May 08 2009 03:59 GMT
#8
I've read Macbeth, Othello, and Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare, and I liked Othello the most. Might give some of his other stuff a try now that pholon reminded me of him.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
May 08 2009 06:59 GMT
#9
On May 07 2009 22:32 iCCup.deL wrote:
[image loading]


Show nested quote +
Last week, I read A Midsummer Night’s Dream and it was absolutely delightful.


scary as fuck
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
May 08 2009 08:56 GMT
#10
On May 07 2009 21:50 poilord wrote:
I've only read R&J, Hamlet, Macbeth and The Tempest so far, so I'll probably pick this one up next, once I get time to read some books apart the ones I have to read for uni : /


On May 08 2009 12:59 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I've read Macbeth, Othello, and Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare, and I liked Othello the most. Might give some of his other stuff a try now that pholon reminded me of him.


You guys definitely should pick this up. It will literally take only like 3 hours to read and we can have some discussion going. Lemonwalrus, good to see you here :D

Also, Icc.del, I will punch you in the face, goddammit >.<
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft278
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft706
PiGStarcraft278
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 356
Stork 200
Leta 117
PianO 71
ggaemo 65
Hyuk 37
Bale 15
yabsab 13
Icarus 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
JimRising 731
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox768
Westballz42
Mew2King0
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor633
Other Games
summit1g8896
Coldzera 820
C9.Mang0299
RuFF_SC2152
Sick125
ViBE81
ArmadaUGS31
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick707
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream124
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 96
• Letter149
• Adnapsc2 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2170
League of Legends
• Lourlo1238
• Stunt395
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 51m
Online Event
5h 51m
FEL
10h 51m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 51m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 51m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.