• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:14
CEST 12:14
KST 19:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8195 users

[Interview] Jaedong at GStar Convention 2013

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-24 10:45:54
November 24 2013 10:37 GMT
#1
Another translation of a translation haha. Hopefully it's accurate.

Translated from http://s.163.com/13/1122/19/9EAC50J100314Q8T.html
Original article at http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=66744&iskin=esports


[image loading]

On 15 November 2013, at the GStar convention in Busan, the reporter met the long-awaited Jaedong. They chatted about the WCS Global Finals which just took place and had a good chat.


It's been a long time since you've came back to Korea. How are you feeling now?

I managed to meet many fans at Korea's largest gaming convention, GStar 2013. Of course, even though it was just an invitational tournament, I'm very happy to be able to play in a local tournament. It's been such a long time since I've done that. I've felt this same atmosphere at the gaming convention many times before when I was overseas, but it's still an unfamiliar feeling in Korea. It feels very interesting (laughs).

At the Global Finals, your popularity was over the top. What are your thoughts about this?

It was almost scary at the scene itself. Even though it's a bit embarrassing to say this myself, but the popularity was really high. The cheers of glory which the fans gave to me allowed me to taste the taste of gaming.

What are the pros and cons of living and being active overseas, as compared to living and being active locally?

Firstly, I've had a long time in this professional career, and so already have the ability to control myself. I am very suited to life in a foreign team.

There is more freedom in everything in a foreign team, and so I have to create the results that I want myself. It's different just on this point alone, and I am very satisfied with it. Even though I don't know why, the feelings that foreign fans have for me have already passed the peak, and it's at a level where it's like they love me, and it makes me feel really blessed.

No matter what, it must be very tiring travelling in and out of the country, isn't it?

This is definitely the case. It's very tiring physically, as well as psychologically. Even though the people around me are envious that I frequently can travel overseas, but it's like I'd spend 1-2 weeks overseas, and then come back to Korea for 1 week, before going overseas again. Going to and fro like that I totally have no life of my own.

There are many difficulties which outsiders do not understand. But if we overlook this bad point, I still really enjoy what I'm doing now, and I feel very blessed to be able to meet fans who are overseas. There're so many more good points than bad points, and so I'm really blessed now.

[image loading]

There are many players who play pretty well, but just can't produce results. You've came in as runner up again at this Global Finals, what are your thoughts?

It's almost like a lie. I've come in as runner up again, and everything I say now seems like an excuse. To be able to come in second in such a tournament, I even feel tempted to praise myself. But thinking it through, it still seems like such a pity, but I've always been very optimistic. I don't want to be too pessimistic as that would make me so tired. However, the results are what they are, and the local fans have said many nasty things about this, but if I take too much of it to heart, it would just make me stressed out wouldn't it? I don't really want to care too much about these.

The line-up that you faced was no joke. But you went through several tough opponents consecutively, and that made people think "Perhaps it's time for Jaedong to do it". It's really such a pity, isn't it?

The fact is that it was a pity, but that aside, the results are what they are. I want to put all these past events away from me. After all, there are many opportunities from here on, and I want to continue proving myself. I feel that this is the right way, I'll still carry a positive attitude in the future.

In your game against Dear, your burrowed roach play was really impressive. How did you think of such a strategy?

It wasn't my plan to play with such a strategy. It was an improvised move at that point in time. To counteract what my opponent was doing, that entertaining scene was produced, and based on the results, that move led to the victory, and so I'm really pleased with that. Because of that game, I felt once again the tremendous roar and cheers of the fans, and it became an unforgettable moment.

That event gathered together the strongest players from all over the world. Did you feel uneasy?

No, I didn't feel uneasy. Before taking part in the tournament, my main thought was to enjoy it, and that I wanted to win the tournament. Blizzcon was really a great event, and I'm already very happy to be part of it.

Ever since I first came into contact with StarCraft, I always had thoughts that it would be really glorious to be able to take the stage at an event like Blizzcon. I've fulfilled my dream, and I really enjoyed it, and everything was fresh and new. That was the attitude with which I went to the tournament. The enthusiastic cheering from the fans made my good mood continue on and on.

Which was the most dangerous moment at the Global Finals?

The most dangerous would have to be the games against Dear. The opponent was so strong, and he was so on-form at the moment, it was the toughest set of game. It almost felt like a lie that I was able to actually win it, and that became my happiest moment.

[image loading]

Up to now, there has basically been no one else who has been able to produce results consistently like you. What's your secret?

Regarding this, I can't really say I have any secrets I guess. I enjoy winning, and even till now, I still have that thirst for victory. I also have amazing passion, and that's why I am able to achieve results like this I think. Up till now, I still maintain all the habits that I picked up when I just became a pro-gamer. I guess that's why I am able to maintain results like this.

Quite a number of gamers from your generation have retired. Do you feel sad about this?

I don't really care about such things. A professional gaming career requires very strong individual ability. The amount of work you put in decides your results. Regarding the gamers from my generation who have retired, it just makes me reflect that time is indeed passing by. But aside from that, there's really nothing else. I just want to walk my own path, and so I don't really care about these.

There are many fans who have been cheering for you all this while. Do you have anything to say to them?

I'm really excited to be able to take part in this GStar activity. At Blizzcon, I actually wanted to try Heroes of the Storm, but didn't manage to because I was so busy. I probably won't be able to play it either at this GStar I guess. If I have the chance I want to try it out (laughs).

To be honest, I feel very sorry to the local fans, as I rarely have the chance to meet them like this. But I've put in even more effort when I'm overseas, and I will try my best to have entertaining performances on all the different stages.

Whether it be in the past or now, for a professional gamer, the most important thing is to produce results. I think that whether the activity is overseas or local is really less important. I hope my fans can understand that. I hope that they'll still continue cheering for me in the future.

[image loading]
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
HeartOfTheSwarm
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
Niue585 Posts
November 24 2013 10:44 GMT
#2
Now this is the true JD. Ladies and gentlemen we are seeing sparks from the past!
"I do not join. I lead." - Queen of Blades
Metalcore1993
Profile Joined November 2012
New Zealand92 Posts
November 24 2013 10:46 GMT
#3
JDs attitude is just straight awesome. The more i see from him outside the game the more i like him. He is really starting to be a shinning example of the mind set required to be a top level pro with consistant results.
https://twitter.com/MetalcoreSC2 http://www.twitch.tv/metalcore1993
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
November 24 2013 10:47 GMT
#4
jaedong <3

I don't care neither about bisu and jangbi
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
NovemberstOrm
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Canada16217 Posts
November 24 2013 10:49 GMT
#5
Thanks again
Moderatorlickypiddy
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
November 24 2013 11:00 GMT
#6
No one can be a JD anti-fan. This guy is just too awesome.
absinthfee
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany718 Posts
November 24 2013 11:06 GMT
#7
Been a long time since we had a passionate korean interview.
Refreshing after all that retirement talk everyone else seems to be worried about.
valaki
Profile Joined June 2009
Hungary2476 Posts
November 24 2013 11:08 GMT
#8
He looks kinda...weird with that hat.
ggaemo fan
Ryusei-R1
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States2106 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-24 11:10:09
November 24 2013 11:09 GMT
#9
jaedong please give Loda his hat back

J[A]edong anyone?
Jaedong plz
goody153
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
44304 Posts
November 24 2013 11:34 GMT
#10
Quite a number of gamers from your generation have retired. Do you feel sad about this?

I don't really care about such things. A professional gaming career requires very strong individual ability. The amount of work you put in decides your results. Regarding the gamers from my generation who have retired, it just makes me reflect that time is indeed passing by. But aside from that, there's really nothing else. I just want to walk my own path, and so I don't really care about these.


the dong too awesome
this is a quote
Sakoha
Profile Joined October 2013
United Kingdom25 Posts
November 24 2013 11:38 GMT
#11
Quite a few players view their bunch of 2nd places as a disability and not an achievement but JD seems to have an amazing mentality over this.
herMan
Profile Joined November 2010
Japan2057 Posts
November 24 2013 11:50 GMT
#12
Great interview, thanks! Jaedong still going strong even though he's a hardened veteran.
TAMinator
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia2706 Posts
November 24 2013 11:57 GMT
#13
Dat mindset, so stronk
Loomies
Profile Joined July 2010
United States645 Posts
November 24 2013 11:59 GMT
#14
it just makes me reflect that time is indeed passing by


Them feels
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
November 24 2013 12:06 GMT
#15
JD please stay with eg so we can keep watching ur stream and foreign tournaments!
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
MirageTaN
Profile Joined June 2012
Singapore871 Posts
November 24 2013 12:11 GMT
#16
Jaedong forever! Never retire and keep gaming
#TLWIN TI7, TLDota BEST TL
eurTsItniH
Profile Joined January 2012
887 Posts
November 24 2013 12:20 GMT
#17
Jaedong is just awesome, great interview!
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-24 12:44:06
November 24 2013 12:43 GMT
#18
Great interview, it's a great time to cheer for Jaedong. He is still so motivated as has so much passion for the game, more than any other player that has been a pro for so long I think. I'm sure his attitude leads to a win soon. Hopefully he can relax a bit more in the offseason soon and gets the chance to compete in korea again soon, I'm really sad he won't play in Proleague. I wonder what his thoughts are about that, he still holds records I think.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
Weavel
Profile Joined January 2010
Finland9224 Posts
November 24 2013 12:48 GMT
#19
Amazing interview. I really love his mindset towards progaming.
Life/Seed//Mvp/NaNiwa fighting! ZeNEX forever!
Marcinko
Profile Joined May 2013
South Africa1014 Posts
November 24 2013 15:41 GMT
#20
Lee Jae Dong, what a living legend!
....
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 8457
StarCastTV_EN167
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings38
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4868
Jaedong 1894
EffOrt 1434
actioN 918
BeSt 544
Soma 449
Horang2 435
Killer 405
Pusan 276
ZerO 227
[ Show more ]
Stork 163
Zeus 128
soO 89
Rush 81
HiyA 65
Shinee 36
Mong 31
ToSsGirL 30
JYJ 30
Bale 27
Sharp 21
NaDa 20
sorry 17
Sexy 17
Terrorterran 15
JulyZerg 10
Noble 9
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc2841
XaKoH 363
Counter-Strike
edward67
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes953
WinterStarcraft816
Other Games
gofns46311
singsing1308
olofmeister998
ceh9549
Livibee192
Pyrionflax156
byalli141
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick537
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream412
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 118
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• StrangeGG 44
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2270
League of Legends
• Jankos1808
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 46m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.