• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:14
CEST 05:14
KST 12:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6843 users

[M][2] Leviathan Isle

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 19:36:06
April 14 2013 04:54 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Leviathan Isle, v1.0
148x124
Published on [NA][HOTS]


Overview:
[image loading]

Aesthetics:

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Texture set:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Other:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
FFE
[image loading]
Loading Screen


I'm still a pretty noobish mapmaker, but I think I'm getting better. This one's got a more interesting layout than my usual work, I think.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
April 14 2013 06:58 GMT
#2
Not to sound snippish, but this is the kind of thing that should go in the WIP thread. Or maybe everyone's given up on it? I realize it's slow in there but this map is finished neither in layout or aesthetics. Nevertheless...

Your FFE choke is smaller than it needs to be. 9-10 squares is standard, you have 7. This allows for some questionably exploitable plays like a walloff with a depot and a CC first. Also your unbuildable blocker is on the "wrong" side of the ramp.

This is indeed an interesting layout though. I think you need some proportions refinements, and possibly some reworked pathways. It looks kind of hard to attack before 4 bases because of the travel distance and the long time between changing attack paths. Not sure you designed it as a "macro" map but I would think about providing more connectedness or directness from the middle and across the map to give better aggressive options. Possibly a small connection with rocks to narrow or block it.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 08:38:04
April 14 2013 08:34 GMT
#3
I did post it in the WIP thread but no one said anything about it... I'm not happy with the aesthetics, but I had no other choice for feedback on the layout.

Although, most of the out-of-map stuff doesn't actually show up in-game, so it can basically be disregarded.

I'm not sure what makes the rocks on the "wrong" side of the ramp though. I wasn't even aware that there was a difference.

algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
April 14 2013 08:54 GMT
#4
You should just widen everything
rly ?
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
April 14 2013 12:27 GMT
#5
I don't really like all the straight lines in your map. You should roughen it up a little bit to make it appear more natural. The textures are a bit dull as well. The layout seems quite good though.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
Caviar
Profile Joined April 2011
70 Posts
April 14 2013 14:22 GMT
#6
For just starting its not to bad. I think an overhaul of middle could completely change the feel of things. Right now your only 45 degree ramps (direct paths base-to-base) are on the widest part of the map. Perhaps connect the middle to make it all level 2 or change the ramps. It just feels a bit awkward as it stands. Good work though keep mapping
ScrubS
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands436 Posts
April 14 2013 15:42 GMT
#7
I think that ledge at the third covers both the third and natural with tanks. Tank drops on the ledge would be kinda OP just like it was on Lost Temple back in the days
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 19:31:22
April 14 2013 19:15 GMT
#8
On April 14 2013 21:27 Callynn wrote:
I don't really like all the straight lines in your map. You should roughen it up a little bit to make it appear more natural. The textures are a bit dull as well. The layout seems quite good though.


The straight lines (I assume you're mostly referring to the ones in the middle) Are actually man-made cliffs, but it's hard to see from the overview. I personally like the texturework, but that's a matter of opinion I suppose.

On April 15 2013 00:42 ScrubS wrote:
I think that ledge at the third covers both the third and natural with tanks. Tank drops on the ledge would be kinda OP just like it was on Lost Temple back in the days


Those were not supposed to be pathable, but I can put some props there to make it obvious.


I put up a new overview with the small, easy changes in. I've got a lot to do today so I'll work on the problem of the middle later on.

Agh
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1107 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 19:57:23
April 14 2013 19:48 GMT
#9

I actually like the overall design and layout of the map. Some definite improvements which I have highlighted for you.

[image loading]

Upon giving it some additional thought, It might be best to reposition and reface the middle ramps, making the main to main distances shorter.
I may appear to be an emotionless sarcastic pos, but just like an onion when you pull off more and more layers you find the exact same thing everytime and you start crying
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 21:09:26
April 14 2013 21:08 GMT
#10
The #1 thing that would make this more aesthetically pleasing is to make sure no cliffs have a straight line for longer than like 4-6 of the smallest grid squares. (assuming it's a natural area and not manmade) The mains and some other areas here would look a lot better with those straight cliffs eliminated.

@ the layout i think it has some potential. I do think it looks sorta hard to take a 4th, and it's probably just about impossible to take the bases below the XNTs.. so maybe those are some things that could be changed. The choke going to the linear 3rd from the nat miiight be too narrow as well, not 100% sure. anyway GL
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-14 21:19:09
April 14 2013 21:10 GMT
#11
The black border already does represent the edge (although you can't tell from my overview), and yeah, the pods around the third are undroppable.

I don't understand what you mean by "Make sure symmetry is accounted for," though. The rest of it is understandable .

[image loading]

This is what I have planned for the center right now. It maintains a similar layout but provides more of a direct attack route that EatThePath suggested.
Gene(S)is
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden419 Posts
April 15 2013 02:49 GMT
#12
And here I was hoping for an island map
For the swarm
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
April 16 2013 07:19 GMT
#13
Copper, I kind of like that idea for connecting the highgrounds. But the way you've drawn it loses one of the aspects of the map I do like which is the curviness. I know this is kind of contradictory to what I was saying, but: one of the strengths I see in the design of the map is how you need to have a plan beforehand for moving your army around. You can't just a-click the minimap mindlessly, except maybe if you're camping outside your natural and you need to defend one of the first 4 bases.

Maybe adding an additional ramp instead of extending the highground would work just as well? If you make it like you drew, you create kind of a Planet S situation where the middle isn't really useful to move through except in very particular army position situations, and it isn't valuable to hold at all really. (That's fine it just seems like it's not really what this map is about.) That's kind of a complete 180 from how the map was before where holding the middle was amazingly good.

So it's an improvement I think but you're losing something that I don't think it's worth trading. Does that make sense? Hope this helps.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
April 16 2013 23:23 GMT
#14
I see what you mean. I think I can work with that.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 226
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17311
Rain 1472
GuemChi 580
sSak 23
NaDa 21
Bale 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever478
NeuroSwarm211
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 590
minikerr41
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1072
Mew2King89
Other Games
summit1g7426
JimRising 640
WinterStarcraft559
C9.Mang0187
ViBE126
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1028
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 163
• davetesta19
• Letter1410
• Light_VIP 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo574
• Stunt353
Other Games
• Scarra864
• Shiphtur657
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 46m
INu's Battles
7h 46m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 46m
OSC
19h 1m
Replay Cast
19h 46m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.