• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:03
CEST 07:03
KST 14:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7285 users

Iraq, Arrival

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
StateOfDelusion
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
18 Posts
February 06 2013 05:56 GMT
#1
Before departing we were treated to the excessive hospitality of the USO crew. Tables of items free for the taking were set up; snacks and food, cards, toothpaste, and various assorted novelties to appease the occasionally suspended fear and reluctance of soldiers preparing for war. We were given a quick briefing. They collected all lighters and knives before allowing us to board the plane with our semi-automatic rifles in hand. On the way to the plane we were ambushed by eagerly patriotic Americans handing out and waving American flags, and chanting the feel-good cliché mantras, "Thank you, Good luck, Thank you for serving, Take care..." As though the enlistment bonus were not sufficient compensation.

I was pleased to hear that our first stop would be in Germany, a land I had long admired. Ice cold rain stung the skin on my face and hands as I walked to the bus. I was, however, disappointed to realize that I would see little of Germany. We were kept within a single building in the airport, accompanied by a few resident crew and the many soldiers I am sick of seeing. I would have been grateful to be cleansed of the USO fervor by the morally indignant quip of some pseudo-intellectual German about the war or the US military. Even though I hate that sort of thing.

We herded ourselves like cattle to the small area outside designated for smoking. The soldiers, in their characteristically loud and rambunctious manner, proceeded to take pictures of themselves behind a steel fence, clinging to it, with eyes wide. From their behavior and conversations, I could infer that Germany brings nothing to most Americans except for thoughts of Hitler killing Jews. Their insensitivity embarrassed me. I finished my cigarette quickly and went inside.

I sat and watched them crowd around the phones. I watched them in the shops, admiring the assortment of alcohol they were not allowed to drink or buy for the next eighteen months. Eventually I gave way to quiet introspection and reflection, as I always do.

Some suspected that I was German because of my last name. The pilot even asked me if I spoke German. I am not German, I told them. What I did not tell them is that I don’t consider myself an American either. We ought to define ourselves first and foremost as human beings, and disdain the very distinctions and separations engendered by man's herd instinct which led to the same Holocaust these naive Americans consider the sole essence of Germany. Within an hour we were back on the plane.

I am going to be hurting when we finally get there, I thought. I haven't had decent sleep in days. And I am on baggage detail, I'll be throwing around dozens of bags that weigh nearly half my weight. I decided to put my laptop away and try to get some sleep before we arrived. It would quite likely be needed.

We flew over the desert. Upon first sight, a landscape devoid of mountains or trees, only plumes of black smoke rising from a barren, yellow wasteland. The flat, dry earth spotted with black holes, the aftermath of man’s struggle for wealth. This is a land forsaken by God. An inhospitable and tortured land, which returns the suffering it has received upon its inhabitants. Upon first sight of this wasteland, extremism did not appear so extreme. Here, extremes were the norm. Extreme temperatures, disparity between worthless dust and black gold, religious and political civil war. This is the land I have volunteered to join the fight for. The fight for control and supremacy over the wealth that is this barren desert. It is not my fight, but I am here. And who is right, and who is wrong? The sand has been soaked with blood. To try and understand the laws that govern this other world is not to grasp and understand this world. I suddenly realized how naïve it is for foreigners sitting on their green, developed ground, their safe and stable ground, their powerful and rich ground, to form opinions and judgments about a land and a people they cannot comprehend. This is a land forsaken by God. Just live your lives, Americans, Europeans. Stop trying to judge the world. Just be thankful that you have been born in the right place at the right time. This is a foreign world that cannot be lent American solutions.

That is what I felt as I flew above the desert in a steel, air-conditioned bird traveling hundreds of miles per hour, safely, with a single serving, seasoned meal sitting before me. Plastic forks and knives, a laptop in my bag, philosophy in my pocket. And how important is that philosophy, when all of the words on the planet cannot move a single grain of sand in this desert.

I stepped off the plane into the bearable heat. A civilian in a reflective jacket began yelling above the sound of the jet engines to take off our gear and jackets, put on our ear plugs. He went through a list of safety regulations, the kind of feminized formality necessary to impart before taking any action in this bureaucratic government world devoid of personal responsibility. Then we began unloading bags. My job had begun.

Once we arrived at ---, we had a formation, and then another briefing, this one outlining rules, finance, and more feminized formalities. What do I mean? For example, we had a short class repeating for the thirtieth time the importance of wearing ear plugs. Damaging our hearing can affect our “lethality,” we were told.

Life on a cot in a large tent with three inches of personal space in every direction is surprisingly palatable contrasted with the vicious heat outside. Some soldiers have even quit smoking to avoid standing in the heat. What for years tobacco cessation campaigns, classes, and laws failed to do, the Iraqi sun accomplished in less than a week. While in the grasp of the heat, all desires are leveled and replaced with a singular purpose: to escape it. It is incredible the pleasure that can be derived from simply removing your socks in an air-conditioned tent. Where there is an increase in discomfort or suffering in one place, there is often an increase in pleasure somewhere else. Thus it is undeniably true that the good wouldn’t be as good if it were not for the bad. This is what I thought as I sat on my cot.

Of course, my father has the opinion that most overly concerned parents would have. Do whatever it takes to get home safely. Don’t stop to think, never even hesitate to kill, just come home alive. So the question becomes: If an enemy were using a human child as a shield while firing at you, what would you do? This question usually assumes that the only real options are to kill the child or die. The answer to this question depends upon how much a man values an innocent child’s life in comparison to his own. I'll be honest with you: I don't value my life much at all. Which would explain why I was here in the first place.

I can’t sleep. I am worried about tomorrow, the convoy, another hot day in the sun, only longer. I pray that the gear and body armor that weigh my scoliosis ridden back down and cause a painful tension are not causing irreversible damage to my spine. But to complain would be very un-manly of me. Men keep silent and perfect their denial. Writing, my only outlet. I stay up, unable to sleep on the floor of the lit tent. I thought about my wife. I wondered what she was doing. I missed her. Several months from now this sharp sting will fade into an unending, dull anxiety. A constant feeling of something lacking. A hole in my life. So I sit on the ground typing on my laptop, worrying about tomorrow and the sleep I should be getting, with a longing loneliness in the background of my mind. Welcome to Iraq.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 06 2013 07:02 GMT
#2
nice blog
shikata ga nai
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
February 06 2013 07:06 GMT
#3
You write like an author. Hope things get better for you in Iraq!

Btw, is your id based off of StateOfReverie?
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
February 06 2013 09:49 GMT
#4
I really like this, keep writing
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
February 06 2013 11:20 GMT
#5
Amazing blog. I hope you write more! Good luck in Iraq!
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
-Kaiser-
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada932 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-06 13:28:06
February 06 2013 13:21 GMT
#6
Uh, this isn't original.

Sorry, just to expand, I remember most of this from

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=277787&currentpage=7#125

"Before departing we were treated to the excessive hospitality of the USO crew. Tables of items free for the taking were set up; snacks and food, cards, toothpaste, and various assorted novelties to appease the occasionally suspended fear and reluctance of soldiers preparing for war. We were given a quick briefing. They collected all lighters and knives before allowing us to board the plane with our semi-automatic rifles in hand. On the way to the plane we were ambushed by eagerly patriotic Americans handing out and waving American flags, and chanting the feel-good cliché mantras of "Thank you, Good luck, Thank you for serving, Take care..." As though the enlistment bonus were not sufficient compensation.

Life on a cot in a large tent with three inches of personal space in every direction is surprisingly palatable contrasted with the vicious heat outside. Some soldiers even quit smoking to avoid standing in the heat. What for years tobacco cessation campaigns, classes, and laws failed to do, the Kuwaiti sun accomplished in less than a week. While in the grasp of the heat, all desires are leveled and replaced with a singular purpose: to escape it.

We flew over the Iraqi desert. Upon first sight, a landscape devoid of mountains or trees, only plumes of black smoke rising from a barren, yellow wasteland. This is a land forsaken by God. An inhospitable and tortured land, who returns the suffering it has received upon its inhabitants. Upon first sight of this wasteland, extremism did not appear so extreme. Here, extremes are the norm. Extreme temperatures, disparity between worthless dust and black gold, religious and political civil war.

The FOB was a world of dust, concrete, and machinery, a constant hum of generators and the percussion of rotor blades chopping through the air. My only connection to the past was the cloudless blue sky. I walked into the first portable toilet I found and saw graffiti and words scrawled across the walls. “I hate this place!” It was a warm welcome. As I walked back to the tent, a soldier spoke to me."



Half of this blog is plagiarized, isn't it?
3 Hatch Before Cool
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
February 06 2013 13:23 GMT
#7
Not sure if the pessimistic style is on purpose but love your writing very descriptive!
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Iranon
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States983 Posts
February 06 2013 13:50 GMT
#8
On February 06 2013 22:21 -Kaiser- wrote:
Uh, this isn't original.

Sorry, just to expand, I remember most of this from

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=277787&currentpage=7#125

Show nested quote +
"Before departing we were treated to the excessive hospitality of the USO crew. Tables of items free for the taking were set up; snacks and food, cards, toothpaste, and various assorted novelties to appease the occasionally suspended fear and reluctance of soldiers preparing for war. We were given a quick briefing. They collected all lighters and knives before allowing us to board the plane with our semi-automatic rifles in hand. On the way to the plane we were ambushed by eagerly patriotic Americans handing out and waving American flags, and chanting the feel-good cliché mantras of "Thank you, Good luck, Thank you for serving, Take care..." As though the enlistment bonus were not sufficient compensation.

Life on a cot in a large tent with three inches of personal space in every direction is surprisingly palatable contrasted with the vicious heat outside. Some soldiers even quit smoking to avoid standing in the heat. What for years tobacco cessation campaigns, classes, and laws failed to do, the Kuwaiti sun accomplished in less than a week. While in the grasp of the heat, all desires are leveled and replaced with a singular purpose: to escape it.

We flew over the Iraqi desert. Upon first sight, a landscape devoid of mountains or trees, only plumes of black smoke rising from a barren, yellow wasteland. This is a land forsaken by God. An inhospitable and tortured land, who returns the suffering it has received upon its inhabitants. Upon first sight of this wasteland, extremism did not appear so extreme. Here, extremes are the norm. Extreme temperatures, disparity between worthless dust and black gold, religious and political civil war.

The FOB was a world of dust, concrete, and machinery, a constant hum of generators and the percussion of rotor blades chopping through the air. My only connection to the past was the cloudless blue sky. I walked into the first portable toilet I found and saw graffiti and words scrawled across the walls. “I hate this place!” It was a warm welcome. As I walked back to the tent, a soldier spoke to me."



Half of this blog is plagiarized, isn't it?


Haha, what the hell? The other poster in that older thread was banned, is that an old account of yours, OP?
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42416 Posts
February 06 2013 13:56 GMT
#9
On February 06 2013 22:21 -Kaiser- wrote:
Uh, this isn't original.

Sorry, just to expand, I remember most of this from

YADIYADIYADA

Half of this blog is plagiarized, isn't it?


Or this is jdseemoreglass. He seem to be banned
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-06 14:12:30
February 06 2013 14:12 GMT
#10
On February 06 2013 22:23 Disregard wrote:
Not sure if the pessimistic style is on purpose but love your writing very descriptive!

This style isn't my favorite, but I have to admit that he pulled it off. Though half of this blog is apparently plagiarized, maybe cuz the Iraqi heat made him think he was someone else .

EDIT: JDseemoreiraq inc?
User was warned for too many mimes.
vGl-CoW
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Belgium8305 Posts
February 06 2013 14:25 GMT
#11
haha
Moderatorfollow me on twitter if u think ur so tough @BooyaCow
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
February 06 2013 14:31 GMT
#12


I googled a couple of lines from the OP to check if it was original. Only a single result which linked to TL. Didn't bother to check WHERE on TL it linked to haha.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 231
NeuroSwarm 227
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21462
Dewaltoss 147
Bale 47
ZergMaN 11
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Other Games
summit1g12657
JimRising 777
Sick132
Nina1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1019
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 25
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2126
League of Legends
• Lourlo1239
• Rush899
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 57m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
5h 57m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 57m
Replay Cast
17h 57m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 5h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.