• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:27
CEST 09:27
KST 16:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8824 users

[M] (2) Titanic Arena

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 14:40:04
July 11 2012 01:59 GMT
#1
Titanic Arena v0.6
Made by: RFDaemoniac
Published on: [NA]

version 0.5
+ Show Spoiler +
Overview
[image loading]

Pictures (Gameplay):
Analyzer
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

Angled Overview
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Overview
[image loading]

In-Game Description:
War for sport in this giant circular arena.

14 bases to fight over and plenty of room to maneuver, but you can't fly or land around outside the ring.

Introduction/Inspiration:
I wanted to make a circular map, to play with textures and go for something like the Colosseum. I decided to use a base layout that I've sat on for a while and have been using for testing other concepts, and then just fit them into the format of the circle.

I've decided to submit this for the ProAm competition any feedback would be great, particularly suggestions on how to cut it down in size while still maintaining aesthetics.

Pictures (Aesthetics):
+ Show Spoiler +

no close ups yet!


Data (Aesthetics):
Texture Set:
Mar Sara Dirt
Redstone Rock
Monlyth Bricks
Braxis Alpha Rock
Monolyth Tiles
Mar Sara Sand
Meinhoff Sand Dunes
Tarsonis Cracks

Cliff Type:
Aiur Manmade Cliffs
Bel'Shir Organic Cliffs



Pictures (Gameplay):
Analyzer
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

Angled Overview
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Data (Gameplay):
Playable Bounds: 152x152
Main Choke <-> Main Choke Distance(s): 45 seconds
Nat Choke <-> Nat Choke Distance(s): 35 seconds
Mineral/Gas Counts: 8m2g at all bases
Number of Resources / (Map Width * Map Height): ( 60000 gas + 144000 minerals ) / 23104 = 8.8

Further Balance Comments:
The map is very big, but a significant portion is cut off because the corners are not even accessible by air (or at least that is the plan, I haven't done the air blockers since scaling the map down from what it used to be).

I dislike 1 base all-ins and discourage them by making the main very easy to defend.

I am also proud that I've made a circular map without circle syndrome


Change Log:
+ Show Spoiler +

v0.5
first put here

v0.6
I've made some updates, taking out a base (the smiley one) and moving the third over in order to create open spaces. I've also re-arranged the 2 bases on the left and right.

made inner walls only 1 high instead of 2.

Made natural and main closer.

The middle is now more choked as a result.



Much love,

RFDaemoniac
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 11 2012 02:05 GMT
#2
Fascinating design. Not like anything I've seen before, really. Quite cool. The proportions could use some work, but the ideas are pretty interesting.

I think you'll have visual issues if all those cliffs are double-high. It will be too hard to see over them.

I'd be a bit concerned about Terrans lifting off and going to the semi-island, as well. And in general, some of the bases feel a bit too easy to defend.
all's fair in love and melodies
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 11 2012 02:13 GMT
#3
I feel you on the double high thing, I'll definitely change that. It will also help clarify which ones you can drop on top of. I was also going to do some aesthetic work for the distinction. Currently you can't drop on anything that is part of the outer most ring (including the walls that wrap around the main and natural)

The smiley base that is tucked into the main is definitely awkward, but I'm not all that opposed to having no space behind the mineral lines (other people might be though, and I could probably find a way to change this).

I've noticed that since I started playing protoss exclusively I've made bases that are easier to defend. I'm going to have to find a way to break that. I guess I really do want you to be able to take half the map though, but what could I do to make bases more exposed?
Once you take half the map you have to move a farther distance as a defender between your bases than as an attacker, so that makes all 7 or 5 bases hard to hold, but 1-4 are pretty easy.

About the semi-island, do you think that this is a deal-breaker? If I took out the 2nd set of rocks at that 4th, it would expose the 3rd a little bit more and get rid of the semi-island base. Perhaps that is a good solution.

The original thought was that there were walls everywhere for overlords and protoss is going to be scouting with an observer/phoenix/hallucination anyway, so that would theoretically make up for it. Perhaps it's too safe of a natural though, I hadn't thought of terran's taking it as their 2nd base...
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 11 2012 02:44 GMT
#4
Cloud Kingdom's third has no space behind the mineral line and it works out fine.

I think 4 bases is too many to be pretty easy. 4 bases is all you need in a 20 or 25 minute game. You need to encourage some conflict with getting the fourth base, I think.

I do like the idea of removing those rocks. That brings up another point, though. Those further corner bases (next to the semi-islands) are pretty linear. Pretty easy to take once you take the semi-island. They don't require you to cover more chokes and or much further distances.
all's fair in love and melodies
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 11 2012 02:51 GMT
#5
Yeah, definitely. The choke is only marginally wider. I used to have xel'naga towers that covered that base, but they weren't useful enough in the early game so I replaced them with one in the center.

What if I raised that 4th one cliff level? and had a ramp going down into the outer base. It's still harder to defend than having rocks there while maintaining the not-linear aspect.
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
July 11 2012 03:08 GMT
#6
idk about gameplay, but I love the layout
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 03:19:18
July 11 2012 03:19 GMT
#7
Reminds me about some of Perimeter's (great RTS) singleplayer maps
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 11 2012 05:01 GMT
#8
lol this is awesome! I have to think about it some more, we have to turn this into a competitive map
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
July 11 2012 05:12 GMT
#9
I'm going to just list a lot of small stuff so this can become more viable in a competitive scene!

-Natural is too far away from the main
-"Simley face" expansion is awkward and too choked
-Too many expansions clustered on the left/right sides; total expos should be 12 and no higher
-Not enough open space in general, but especially outside the expansions

Also my preference is to have as much of the map flat as possible if you're using this concept. Leave the mains like they are, but the middle highground can go IMO. Not really a big deal but I think its cool to only use the highground where you absolutely need it. And for some inspiration:

[image loading]
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 11 2012 14:42 GMT
#10
I've made some updates, taking out a base (the smiley one) and moving the third over in order to create open spaces. I've also re-arranged the 2 bases on the left and right.

This has tightened up the middle but left some space out front of each base.

However I'm not sure that I like my solution for making the natural and main closer. Suggestions?

I left the high ground in for now, I like that it's a clear place in the middle to hold and would also break up a spine crawler or planetary fortress wall in the very late game, but I could probably be convinced

I've also reduced the height of the inner walls to only 1 high.

I'll also definitely be doing some 4 spawn maps with the same template. I had never seen that map before, very cool. I really like how far they took broodwar maps from just the built-in editor.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 12 2012 18:44 GMT
#11
The update is definitely an improvement, but the map still has some problems. It would be pretty playable right now if it didn't have 4 bases that were really easy to siege over the wall they hug. The 3rd especially is a problem in ZvT because tanks can hit it from the middle. By retaining the structure around the tower in the middle, you make it very easy to push through the relatively narrow space and set up a strong position that is also a game ending offensive threat.

Have you considered reorienting the map so the main is in the corner? This would give you a lot more space for a conventional main-natural shape, and also provide more space throughout the map so the bases don't have to be crammed into awkward positions. I think the concept of outward facing mineral lines against the walls can work, and work very well, but you'll have to make the siege positions (from across the wall) much harder to reach than a direct short path from the middle.

In the meantime, you might try reducing (but not removing) the structure in the middle. Two pods instead of arcs with flat ground would still break up the space and provide a tactical right and left for maneuvering while providing a bit more space for big engagements and spreading out. And the tower itself would still be a fortified position with some LosB and chokiness.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 25 2012 23:41 GMT
#12
I like your idea for changes to the middle as a simpler solution for now. I'm a little hesitant to move the bases to the corners because of the visual circle, but if people I can get to play on it feel that would make it more playable, then I'd do it.

I have made a couple minor changes, making the high ground unpathable and putting a neutral supply depot at the base of each ramp to prevent a 2 building wall off/pylon blocking/etc
Gene(S)is
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden419 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-26 08:25:26
July 26 2012 08:24 GMT
#13
Looks interesting, but can you drop on top of the walls, that seems a bit scary :S
For the swarm
Insomni7
Profile Joined June 2011
667 Posts
July 26 2012 09:47 GMT
#14
I know this would be a pretty big change and of course you dont have to listen to me if you dont want to, but i would consider opening paths to the far left and right bases to make them the natural thirds while turning the current third into an outward facing positional half-base as on daybreak. It would retain and perhaps even enhance its circular style, open a new attack path and solve the problem of backside sieges on the third. It would also end up looking more similar to other maps in terms of base layout which is perhaps not what you want. Idk just my idea! :D
Never Forget.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4657
Shuttle 1837
Leta 1707
BeSt 405
Soulkey 158
Soma 153
sorry 55
ZergMaN 34
Shine 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
League of Legends
JimRising 590
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King56
Other Games
summit1g7653
WinterStarcraft663
Sick206
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2290
League of Legends
• Rush1382
• Lourlo1135
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 33m
Patches Events
7h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 33m
OSC
15h 33m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.