• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:58
CEST 23:58
KST 06:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6833 users

[M] (2) Ulaan Winter

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 09:36:09
July 09 2012 04:59 GMT
#1
Ulaan Winter by GDR

Published to [NA]

Version 2.0


[image loading]




[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.0] +
[image loading]


Angled:
+ Show Spoiler [Version 2.0] +

[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.0] +

[image loading]



Screenshots:
+ Show Spoiler [Version 2.0] +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.0] +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]



Analyzer:
+ Show Spoiler [Version 2.0] +


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.0] +


[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]





Details

Suffer the harsh winter of the formerly Xel'naga inhabited moon.

I think the mains are too small (again). I'm going to claim it as a intentional design, and just say I love 2 base all-ins! Rush distances are maybe short? I don't really know what an ideal distance is.

I'm also looking at possibly adding a 11th/12th base.

All of the rocks around the edges are actually retextured to have an icey/snow appearance as seen in the banner. If you want to get a good idea I'd suggest opening the map up. I really wanted to focus on asthetics this go around, and there might be still some more to come out of me in that regard.

Map: Ulaan Winter
Players: 2
Playable Size: 142x144
Bases: 12
Towers: 2
Lighting: Ulnar (not Ulaan)

Textures:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]



Changes:
+ Show Spoiler +
  • Moved third mineral patches, and ramp closer to natural.
  • Added new bases.
  • New path (with rocks) from middle-expo to potential sixth.
  • Expanded 'secret' hallway.
  • Made some ramps larger.
  • Other changes.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
July 09 2012 05:07 GMT
#2
third seems too far and too hard to hold (yep, its me. person who fusses about thirds the most... hi nice to meet you).

feel that the map doesnt need XNT, especially where they are placed. they watch the only 2 paths to either side of the map. so either add a couple more pathways, or remove the towers.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 05:31:15
July 09 2012 05:08 GMT
#3
The options for a 3rd are a little scary, because the center third is vulnerable to high ground siege pushes, and the high ground 3rd is like Sanshorn Mist: far away and easily able to cut off. You might think that for zerg players the open center with a watch tower makes up for having to risk losing a base so easily, but when a strong push is coming in, zergs tend to retreat and regroup. This gives terran and protoss (especially) the open door to completely cut off the high ground 3rd.

If I have to give one piece of feedback, it would be to make the 3rd ramp closer to the natural. Where and how? That's up to you, but that's my only beef with this.

Also why the man-made gas geysers?
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 05:11:56
July 09 2012 05:09 GMT
#4
I like the idea for the middle a lot, but I'm concerned that its going to have some "Daybreak syndrome" where you've got 5 bases but only 2 small attack paths. On this map it might make for some turtling games, except that the fifth (or sixth depending on how players expand) is vulnerable to air harassment. I think if you want to discourage the split-map scenarios, the best solution is to add extra side paths in the middle. It might be possibly to fit them in without changing much, but more than likely you'll have to move things around. I suggest either removing the sixth base and connecting that area to the middle expos, or you could move the mains to the opposite corners and work from there.. but that might be a lot of work. Now that I think about, would a path from the middle expo to the sixth blocked by rocks work?

[edit] I agree with Ironman's suggestion about the third. And I will also raise him (poker terms ftw) that you might want to add an extra ramp from the third so the space next to the "artosis path" isn't so useless.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 05:24:51
July 09 2012 05:15 GMT
#5
I have one more critique, and I feel it's incredibly crucial as this may help with your mapmaking mindset.

[image loading]

Look at everything in the red circles, and think about the late game. Imagine 200/200 armies in those areas.

Will Zerg be good in those areas?
How powerful will siege units be?
How powerful will forcefields be?
How powerful will fungals be on all those chokes?
Will Zerglings be able to surround in those areas?
Can Bio potentially split against ling/bling in those areas?

Perhaps widen the high ground ridges so Zerg might have a change (think Cloud Kingdom)

So basically if this was my map and I were to fix that whole area it would look something like this

[image loading]

• The red lines indicate the new structure of the high ground ridge (also ramp placement)
• The black gap is just dead, open air space
• YELLOW and Green dots are new mineral placement
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 05:38:09
July 09 2012 05:35 GMT
#6
Are you two competing for my heart? Who can give the most feedback?

I like the idea of the middle-expo to 6th-expo connection I'll get on that, probably last, because I want to get the bigger changes out of the way first. I'll widen the secret hallway, add an extra ramp, and move the third closer to the natural.

The only thing I have reservations about right now when talking about the hallway is I want to keep the LOS blockers. I might just remove the ones in the middle, and keep a choke with LOS into the third.

I'll revisit the watch towers once the other path(s) are added.

For now though I think I'll watch a little bit of TV, and think how to go about it all. I did this all last night and a good portion of today (I wasted most of my time trying to retexture trees ). I think I should step away for a bit, haha.

Edit: Oh, thanks for the extra image there Ironman. Would you prefer all deadspace or an extra ramp? I think another ramp could make engagments a bit more dynamic. I'd probably still kill some of the ground in exchange for deadspace.
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 05:52:07
July 09 2012 05:42 GMT
#7
On July 09 2012 14:35 GDR wrote:
Edit: Oh, thanks for the extra image there Ironman. Would you prefer all deadspace or an extra ramp? I think another ramp could make engagments a bit more dynamic. I'd probably still kill some of the ground in exchange for deadspace.


Depends. You have three options.

1) Keep dead space there, all is fair in love and war.

2) Add a ramp there (consider its purpose. Would it be used for flanking?). Also consider that it's in an area where major engagements are least likely to happen, so would adding a extra ramp be necessary?

3) Add a base there (Cloud Kingdom 3rd/4th concept). Not a bad thing to add, but it's manageable.

It's your choice.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 06:13:19
July 09 2012 06:07 GMT
#8
On July 09 2012 14:42 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2012 14:35 GDR wrote:
Edit: Oh, thanks for the extra image there Ironman. Would you prefer all deadspace or an extra ramp? I think another ramp could make engagments a bit more dynamic. I'd probably still kill some of the ground in exchange for deadspace.


Depends. You have three options.

1) Keep dead space there, all is fair in love and war.

2) Add a ramp there (consider its purpose. Would it be used for flanking?). Also consider that it's in an area where major engagements are least likely to happen, so would adding a extra ramp be necessary?

3) Add a base there (Cloud Kingdom 3rd/4th concept). Not a bad thing to add, but it's manageable.

It's your choice.


Okay, okay. I'm going to fiddle around and probably try them all. I actually like the idea of an extra base. I feel like it might become a free expansion if you are able secure 4 bases (main/natural/middle-expo/third + free base) though.

However, the abillity to harass it from the highground might prove to balance it out. Making the hallway more traversed, and thus more of a point of contention.

I actually missed this part in your first respone. The man-made geysers are actually an oversight, from when I was still unsure of the maps asthetics, that I never got around to changing.
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 09:39:20
July 09 2012 09:34 GMT
#9
I updated it. I put a full list of changes at the bottom of the OP.

I'm going to try retexturing the destructible rocks some other time, and maybe do some other things. Right now I'm just debating about entering into Proam.

Not sure if I moved the third close enough. I don't really know if I can move it closer or you will be able to siege the gas on the natural though.
PandaZerg
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada148 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-09 17:27:38
July 09 2012 17:26 GMT
#10
looks pretty solid!

I would personally modify this on both side:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
July 09 2012 19:00 GMT
#11
I like it, it looks real nice.

But about those huge open spaces in front of the natural and the third base... Wouldn't it be extremely hard to secure a 4th expansion, especially for, say, protoss, since protoss usually manages to defend attacks better through chokes, or generally smaller areas? The openness is very good for surrounds and/or huge flanking movements in my opinion. So, my suggestion would be to somehow make the area slightly more narrow, and only slightly, because keeping it open in front of the 3rd, like in Ohana LE, allows Zerg to put a lot of pressure.

Also, as mentionned by IronmanSC above, you might want to widen those thin strips of land around the sides to allow for variety in micro.
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
July 09 2012 22:52 GMT
#12
My map doesn't get as many replies as others. D:

I'll move the middle-expo(s) mineral lines in the next version. Going to try, and get the one so it doesn't impede the new 'backdoor', and also out of siege distance of the high ground. The other one I'll just move it so you can walk easily behind.

Enlarging the high ground strip I'm not sure about. It feels pretty big to me in game, and I've already increased the size once by a reasonable amount. Also, I made the ramp larger.

What I want to do is try, and encourage the middle-expo as a potential third for a Zerg player. So right now I plan to move it a little closer to the natural, and out of siege distance of the high ground. I think the openness of the middle-expo will give Zerg players more room to maneuver, and defend. I don't really want to change that.

Simply, I would like to encourage Protoss, and Terran to expand to the high ground third. While Zerg expands to the middle-expo.
GDR
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada407 Posts
July 11 2012 00:11 GMT
#13
I wanted to try the invisible cliff trick for bridges. So I turned the 'backdoor' into a bridge of sorts. Retextured the rock archways, and various rocks to match the Ulaan cliff and voila!

Tell me if I should actually add it into the map. ^^

[image loading]
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 108
JuggernautJason49
ViBE4
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 576
firebathero 80
Zeus 71
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever433
League of Legends
JimRising 400
Counter-Strike
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS125
PPMD36
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5410
Liquid`Hasu1656
Other Games
summit1g6761
byalli520
shahzam504
C9.Mang0117
UpATreeSC65
Trikslyr35
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 96
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 56
• Azhi_Dahaki35
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 2m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 2m
Stellar Fest
15h 2m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.