• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:21
CEST 01:21
KST 08:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9575 users

My laptop and SC2

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
dafnay
Profile Joined May 2010
Angola375 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 02:26:29
June 07 2012 02:12 GMT
#1
Hi,

One year and a half I bough a laptop to play some video games : its an Asus G60J with
Intel I5 , 4GB ram , 360GTS , and everything was running sweet unitl like 2 monthes when FPS started to drop hardcore , like really hardcore : it went down from +100 to 40/60fps when I'm only watching my nexus and 15/20 during big fights ...

Of course I know laptops sucks for gaming but seriously how is that even possible for a laptop I bought 1200 eruos back then -.-
And yeah EVERYTHING is on low settings it cannot be worse , but my fps are still that shitty and it became impossible to play decently.

I opened my laptop to check if everything was alright , maybe some crap inside was blocking the air cooling or something , but everything was fine , I even cleaned every part of my laptop and tried to take all the crap out , but nothing was found anyway.

I mean right after the cleaningI felt it was a bit better , like maybe +20 fps , but after a few hours drop to 30/20 again ....

About my temperature : right now it is 83 degrees without doing nothing for the GPU and 62 for other stuff , and my GPU temperature can go up to like 90-95 something like that while I play , not more dont worry ^ .

I heard about those coolpads you use but many people I know say its crap and if it works , its only a small degree gain.

But what I really dont understand is how a "gaming laptop" with a I5 core , 4GB and a not total crap graphic card cant play SC2 on LOW setttings with a least stable 50-60 FPS since I'm really not asking for much more

And yeah another detail : the keyboard is not that hot but the left side of my laptop where the air is going out , holy shit it feels like the entry of satan , the air going out is so hot that even my hand being 10 cm far away from it I can still feel the hotness ...

Please tell me what to do I dont wanna spend 50€ to gain a few degrees , some people have worse laptops and dont have 15 fps during the fights when they play , QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
awakenx
Profile Joined May 2011
United States341 Posts
June 07 2012 02:25 GMT
#2
90-95 C for the GPU is pretty bad. Try re-applying thermal paste on the GPU, there should be some vids on how to do it on YT. There was some other guy who was experiencing FPS drops and that was due to overheating and needing a repaste. Your system is running uncomfortably hot. Usually you want your GPU to stay below 90 C.
WorstMicroNA
dafnay
Profile Joined May 2010
Angola375 Posts
June 07 2012 02:36 GMT
#3
Oh well I just read a post about laptop overheating and I already see what stupid things I do , like using it on a bed almost everyday for several hours ( yeah im fucking lazy ) and having the battry fully charged everytime and not putting it off which can maybe make the laptop less hot ...
dafnay
Profile Joined May 2010
Angola375 Posts
June 07 2012 21:38 GMT
#4
So yeah I tried to play a 2v2 to see what happens , guess that was a bad idea :
http://i.imgur.com/i5DgT.jpg
10 fps without doing nothing
and
http://imgur.com/5C7AE

yep , 3 fps at a not even maxed out fight , no need to say it was IMPOSSIBLE to do anything

Strange thing : my GPU wasnt that hot : ~70 degrees , and no more for other components ...

So yeah , I really dont know what to do , I will buy thermal paste maybe it"s gonna help a bit , but come on my pc isnt that bad? something can be fixed right? It wasnt like that before

In LoL , my fps was decent ( 40-50 , not the best but playable ) and after the patch they did some days ago , my fps went from 50 to 120 ....

In dota2 my fps was a little bit worse than LoL but still ok , from 20 to 60 I would say...

And lastly in TERA I really have no problems wth fps , I cant see it but its really smooth , no big deals.

Note I play all my games on LOW settings of course

Deleted User 255289
Profile Joined March 2012
281 Posts
June 07 2012 23:41 GMT
#5
Wow, your temperatures are really high. I used to have that, but then I disassembled my laptop and cleaned out the dust and redid the thermal paste and now its much better. I would recommend you to do that too.
Zerg OP | CreansRNub | k-Poop | Zerg OP | Sea lions | \\m//
enVias
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia41 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-08 00:13:27
June 08 2012 00:11 GMT
#6
On June 07 2012 11:12 dafnay wrote:
I heard about those coolpads you use but many people I know say its crap and if it works , its only a small degree gain.

It sounds like you don't want to spend the money on one regardless, but just chiming in to say cooling pads do work. I got a Thermaltake Massive23 for my Alienware M17x and it reduced the CPU temp at max load from ~75C to ~55C (there was only a small difference when the CPU wasn't under load, but that's not when you need the cooling anyway). FPS problems were the reason I bought the cooling pad too - I went from being able to play SC2 on Extreme to having to play on Low (with bad framerate). After getting the cooling pad I'm back to Extreme + good framerates.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
June 08 2012 00:15 GMT
#7
Your temperatures do seem high and it's definitely not a hardware issue, I play SC2 on all low with a GT210M and a 1.7ghz core 2 duo. If you haven't cleaned out your dust, you definitely need to do that. It's makes a huge difference.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
awakenx
Profile Joined May 2011
United States341 Posts
June 08 2012 00:21 GMT
#8
Try recording the temps again by running HW Monitor and run it in the background while you play SC2.

Then look at the max temps for both CPU and GPU, and tell us what they are ;D
WorstMicroNA
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
June 08 2012 01:32 GMT
#9
Haha, I feel you man. I play mid masters with 1-5 fps during battles and the best I've ever gotten is 26, it's certainly frustrating when you can't micro. Thought about taking apart my laptop and cleaning it but I'm scared I'll break it and I don't own any tools o_o.

Is it just slow with gaming or is it the laptop in general?
dafnay
Profile Joined May 2010
Angola375 Posts
June 08 2012 02:01 GMT
#10
@deathtrance : so I played few games and the highest temperature I got is 82C with my GPU , I dont know cause sometimes I got a bit more ..

@phiinix : laptop is very good and I'm using it to play recent games and there is no real problem with freezing ( minimum settings of course )
Its just with SC2 that I got to 0 fps in fights , I really dont understand this , its not like sc2 came out 1 week ago and needs a 590GTX to run properly ...

I also recently got lag problems ( Im using a WiFi connection so when fe someone is watching a youtube video on my main computer , my laptop is lagging so fe I cant watch any stream/youtube video )
But its very recent and as I said I have 0 problems with other online games like LoL where I get +100fps with the new oatch that came out ..
droit
Profile Joined January 2011
United States67 Posts
June 08 2012 02:24 GMT
#11
Take the back panel off and blow the dust out of it (use canned air not an air compressor)
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/581701/1/Adroit/
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 144
Vindicta 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10619
Artosis 476
Bale 15
TT1 3
League of Legends
Doublelift3904
JimRising 710
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox856
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4740
Khaldor898
Other Games
summit1g8039
shahzam527
Day[9].tv350
Mew2King83
NeuroSwarm78
ArmadaUGS65
ViBE56
JuggernautJason42
PiGStarcraft15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 51
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• HerbMon 30
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie803
• Scarra457
• Day9tv350
• Shiphtur196
Upcoming Events
OSC
39m
Stellar Fest
13h 39m
OSC
22h 39m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 10h
Online Event
1d 11h
FEL
1d 16h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.