• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:23
CEST 18:23
KST 01:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War195.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8309 users

[Interview] Yellow on retirement

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Funnytoss
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Taiwan1471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-26 00:09:20
June 25 2011 23:16 GMT
#1
[image loading]


KT's Yellow, an icon of Esports for the past 10 years, the legendary #2, announced after the conclusion of his official retirement ceremony and final game that he would be leaving the StarCraft world completely. Interestingly, standing with Boxer, Nada, and Reach, one of StarCraft's 4 pillars in the early days showed us that sometimes the runner-up gets more glory than the winner.

After losing his retirement game, he continued to analyze it with his teammates, showing expressions of regret - it does make us wonder if he had any thoughts about continuing his career as a player. But Yellow says, "I'm retiring to pave a way for the new generation."

Q: What compelled you to retire?
A: After being discharged from Ace and returning to the team, I stood at the crossroads. In Ace, I practiced diligently, and in the eyes of those around me, I won some meaningful games, but I myself was unsatisfied. My time in the Air Force determined whether or not I would be able to become a pro player once more, but victories were rare. I'm not confident in my ability to survive in the fierce competitive StarCraft world anymore. After returning to the team, I had no way to catch up with my upcoming teammates who had taken my position. I felt there was no real place for me, and thus the decision to retire. Additionally, I feel that the Yellow in his 20s had more passion than the Yellow in his 30s. I felt guilty and regretful, that I couldn't perform as my fans hoped, feeling that they kept swinging between hope and disappointment.

Q: What were you thinking after you finished your retirement game?
A: As I let out a sigh of relief, I did feel it was a pity. After my last bow, I realized that my desire to win was rekindled. But I lost to Midas, and our team lost that day, so it was rather unfortunate. Giving up my spot to the newer players makes me feel relieved, but it's hard to avoid at least a tiny bit of disappointment. I suppose it's impossible to completely erase one's winning desire.

Q: In your 10-year professional career, what do you remember most clearly
A: I was quite torn after I submitted my retirement form. After around 10 days, that feeling started to subside, but when I came to the stadium, and saw all those fans who had come to see me, I felt very moved once more. Also, after seeing all those images from the past, I nearly cried. I'm so grateful that all these people could come to attend my retirement ceremony. Having everyone here with me made it truly unforgettable. Boxer, Nada, TheWind, and other old veterans attended, and I kept thinking of happy memories with them.

Q: Over the past 10 years, what left a strong impression on you?
A: They're all bad memories, haha. The first thing I thought of was losing at Kwanganri in the Finals. During the early stages of the 2005 season, we made it to the finals undefeated but lost to SKT - that was rather regretful. Getting to the match undefeated but being only able to take home second made it all feel rather empty. I remember sobbing together with my teammates as we shared a meal afterwards. The second was losing to TossGirl in the WCG qualifiers. That was pretty much the first time a male progamer had lost to a female progamer, so it became a hot topic of discussion instantly. The third was getting bunker-rushed by Boxer 3 times in a row. That was a blow I'd never felt before in my life. I don't want to remember it, but it just comes up often.

Q: In a world that only acknowledges #1, you've somehow become famous for being the eternal #2
A: I'm quite proud of that. Many people say that it's a world for the winners, but I feel proud for leaving the impression that "as long as you can take #2 many times, consistently, you can be acknowledged just the same". to everyone. Second place is pretty good. I earned this spot against excellent progamers, and I'm satisfied in showing everyone that #2 is great too.

Q: On the day of your retirement ceremony, you finally reached #1 in search engine results
A: Finally getting 1st place on my last day. As this was the stage of my official retirement, going out as #1 is significant, I suppose. It's all because of the passion and support from my fans. In the future,I'll do better than receive a 1st place created for me by others, and reach it with my own hands, through my own action.

Q: What are your plans now?
A: I'm not entirely sure yet. I want to continue doing shows like "Staying up with Shin-Ae". I'm not ruling out coaching or playing StarCraft 2 entirely - there are other possibilities as well. But currently, I don't really have any concrete plans, and I'll be spending the next few months contemplating and organizing my thoughts.

Q: Are the chances nearly nil of you coming back to gaming?
A: Indeed, the chances are quite low. If so, maybe a 1% chance? Today Boxer brought flowers and a box for StarCraft 2, which surprised me at the time. I guess he wants me to switch, haha. We spoke a bit backstage - he said that he hoped I could cheer him on when his team competes, and told me that if I switch to SC2, I could join his team.

Q: What was the response of your parents when you decided to retire?
A: I think they respect my decision. Although initially there was more disapproval than approval, but they trust my choice now.

Q: Final remarks?
A: I've met many people, and experienced many things over the past 10 years. I have so many memories - just reminiscing could take up an entire year. I won't regret my 20s. I've learned a lot, but done so little, and I feel guilty about that. To the fans, all I can say is thank you, thank you... thank you so much. They've given me so much love, so many memories - I'll never forget them. No matter where I go, I'll live proudly as professional player Yellow.

I hope the new generation can bring Esports to a whole new level. I hope one day when I meet others I can say proudly, "I was once there".

SOURCE: PLU (originally DES)
AIV_Funnytoss and sGs.Funnytoss on iCCup
Zeburial
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden1126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-25 23:22:42
June 25 2011 23:22 GMT
#2
YELLOOOOOW! <3 What a baller. Cool guy all around! Hope we see him again, maybe in SC2!

EDIT: Also, thanks for the interview! =)
Empires are not brought down by outside forces - they are destroyed by weaknesses from within
xarthaz
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1704 Posts
June 25 2011 23:22 GMT
#3
Wow he mentions the show again. It mustve been great. Please, for the love of god we need that VOD!
Aah thats the stuff..
Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-25 23:23:16
June 25 2011 23:23 GMT
#4
SlayerS_Yellow plz!
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
pieisamazing
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1234 Posts
June 25 2011 23:24 GMT
#5
Thanks a lot! Glad to see he isn't ruling out SC2 entirely, but if he does I hope he succeeds in whatever he does next.
connoisseur
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
June 25 2011 23:25 GMT
#6
i got emo reading that interview
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
Senya
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
54 Posts
June 25 2011 23:25 GMT
#7
On June 26 2011 08:23 Megaliskuu wrote:
SlayerS_Yellow plz!


YESSSSSSSS HONG JIN HO TO SC2! :-D
Hard work is meaningless if you do not believe in yourself. - Gai Sensei
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
June 25 2011 23:28 GMT
#8
Thanks for the interview! How do the last two questions contradict each other?
X10A
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada9837 Posts
June 25 2011 23:29 GMT
#9
HONG JIN HO <3
You and Boxer were practically my childhood <3
I'll miss you, I hope you stay within the scene
Thanks for the interview Funnytoss!
CJ/T8 Fighting//#1 STX and Bisu anti <3//YES X10A is based off the Freedom Gundam
stork4ever
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1036 Posts
June 25 2011 23:31 GMT
#10
Yellow rocking that suit like a boss!
Spica
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5582 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-25 23:39:19
June 25 2011 23:35 GMT
#11
Hahahah Yellow, finally reaching #1 in the search engines for once! And damn, he looks like a boss in that suit. It's so sad to see a living legend leave the scene, but we wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do in the future!

I checked the original Korean source and your translations were pretty much spot-on! You had a REALLY good Chinese to Korean translator there! Excellent translation overall!

Oh, and to give a small bit of hope to everyone... Yes, Yellow did indeed say that thanks to Boxer offering him that SC2 box, a very small, very tiny possibility of him switching over to SC2 has formed.... But only a very small possibility of switching over he said, keep that in mind.
How to pronounce the name: "SPY-ka" | Proud to share the same birthday with Shin (神) Dong Won and the almighty BoxeR | 리쌍도 나무에서 떨어진다. | To YellOw: "2位じゃダメなんですか?" ㅋㅋㅋ | Rest in peace, Violet. 08/23/12
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
June 25 2011 23:38 GMT
#12
Yellow to SlayerS and they will be unstoppable. HONG JIN HO HWAITING!!!
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
June 25 2011 23:41 GMT
#13
It was a very moving ceremony. I hope he finds what he is looking for, and if not, comes back to coach or manage a team. bw for life.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
June 25 2011 23:46 GMT
#14
You shall not be forgotten YellOw
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
zoLo
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States5896 Posts
June 25 2011 23:57 GMT
#15
YellOw switching to SC2 and being on the same team ass BoxeR sounds awesome.
blahz0r
Profile Joined December 2010
3030 Posts
June 25 2011 23:57 GMT
#16
SlayerS Yellow would be amazing!
Liquipedia
Barca
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States418 Posts
June 25 2011 23:57 GMT
#17
SlayerSYellow
- I hate threads that end with "Thoughts?" -
hypno_toad
Profile Joined December 2010
United States156 Posts
June 26 2011 00:00 GMT
#18
Yellow vs Boxer epic rivalry in SC1.

Yellow and Boxer epic teammates in SC2.

Make it happen!!!
┻━┻ ︵ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
CobaltBlu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States919 Posts
June 26 2011 00:02 GMT
#19
I wasn't around when Yellow was really playing a lot but I always cheered for him when he played. It's hard to not respect someone who commands the respect of so many!

On June 26 2011 08:22 xarthaz wrote:
Wow he mentions the show again. It mustve been great. Please, for the love of god we need that VOD!


It's not a single vod he is just a guest on Shinae's show a lot. There's a topic here on TL about it.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=213109

Leeoku
Profile Joined May 2010
1617 Posts
June 26 2011 00:03 GMT
#20
yea it would be epic if yellow went to sc2 on slayers. team oldies
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech113
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29389
Calm 6644
Bisu 2498
Jaedong 1122
BeSt 468
Larva 456
Soma 410
Stork 365
Light 296
Rush 294
[ Show more ]
Horang2 256
ZerO 209
Snow 185
Free 167
Zeus 121
Barracks 120
Mind 103
910 98
Liquid`Ret 73
Killer 40
Trap 36
Shinee 30
ToSsGirL 29
Hyun 29
Terrorterran 28
sorry 24
Rock 23
Bale 23
Aegong 21
Sexy 13
Sacsri 9
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc9768
XaKoH 305
Counter-Strike
fl0m4319
edward1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes537
Other Games
singsing2222
hiko944
B2W.Neo676
FrodaN638
mouzStarbuck254
DeMusliM189
Livibee178
Hui .163
Beastyqt152
RotterdaM125
Trikslyr86
QueenE77
KnowMe68
C9.Mang067
Mew2King47
BRAT_OK 22
ZerO(Twitch)21
MindelVK10
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2967
• TFBlade586
Other Games
• Shiphtur833
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 38m
Big Brain Bouts
17h 38m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
Patches Events
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.