• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:13
CEST 10:13
KST 17:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7424 users

[M] (2) Surtur Caldera

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-07 02:42:59
January 06 2011 06:58 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Surtur Caldera v0.8 on NA server

Surtur is a zerg brood.

Hello, I'm a 3d modeler and animator who occasionally does something for a game. I noticed there weren't many 1v1 lava maps. So here's my first crack at a SC2 1v1 map. It's still in Developement, it needs testing. I would Love your replays if you end up playing my map. As well as feedback for further updates.

Map Images + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Detailed Images
+ Show Spoiler +
North main and natural
[image loading]

North main and third
[image loading]

North Corner Expansion
[image loading]

Center Island expo and Xel'Naga Watchtowers
[image loading]


Features
    2 players
    124x128 playable area

    Mains at 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock

    2 ramps into each main, one blocked by rocks

    7 total expansion locations

    each base and expansion, with the exception of the center gold has 8 blue minerals and 2 geysers.

    Natural outside each main ramp with 2 entrances one blocked by huge rocks

    Third located outside each main's rocked off entrance

    Large rift in center separates battlefield

    1 island in the center of the rift with a gold expansion,6 gold minerals, 2 rich geysers (Rocked off). Additionally there are 2 extra geysers and 4 extra blue minerals (spread far from center)

    Center Island is lower terrain then the surrounding cliffs preventing vision.

    2 Xel'naga watch towers in main attack paths (one on either side of the rift) capable of spotting gold expansion minerals.

    Towers are up against non-pathable high ground.

    2 o'clock and 7 o'clock expansions (rocked off) with very wide ramps going down into it, with LoS smoke near the ramp towards the center (vertically)

    walkway around the 2 and 7 o'clock expansionswith LoS smoke on one end

    Both the corner expansions, and the path around them can be used to circumvent the Xel'Naga Watchtowers


Map Analyzer Pictures+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading][image loading][image loading][image loading][image loading][image loading]


Change Log

older stuff + Show Spoiler +
V0.5 (prior versions not posted)
    removed 2 gold mineral clusters from center
    Xel'Naga Watchtowers moved away from center up against the cliff
    Corner expansions are now lower than surrounding terrain rather than higher
    Blocked entrance into both mains moved farther back
    Added rocks to the side of both Natural Expansions to make them easier to take early game.
    resource clusters causing miners to walk around gas geyser moved.
    More doodads and texture variation.


V0.6
    Fixed the rock placement by the 4 o'clock expansion

old images+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


old analyzer pics + Show Spoiler +
[image loading][image loading]


V0.7
    Removed rocks from Third
    Removed rocks from Back Paths
    Added Los smoke on back paths
    Added rocks on Center Island
    Added rocks on corner expansion
    Expanded Corner Expansion slightly
    Increased the size of each Main
    Tightened and tweaked the distance across rift in center.
    Sculpted terrain
    texture work
    Improved pathing


V0.8
    Rendered the lighting, various doodad and prop tweaks.


Strategy comments
The design is basically to split the map down the middle between the two players, making it more difficult for a ground army to try and control both sides. The only places a ground army can cross from east/west or vice versa is right outside one of the mains. This may influence players to push and expand along one side rather than radiating out from the main uniformly. The center island should be difficult to hold if you don't control both Xel'Naga towers. But even if a player has tanks on both towers and is mining in the middle you could run around the towers and get to his main (or other expansions.)

Please, if you play this, send me a replay! =D
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
January 06 2011 07:56 GMT
#2
I think the layout is pretty good, but the centerarea is just... weird... Not sure what to think of it.
I do like the 'make a choice' way the middle is. Also you might have gone a little too much XelNagaCaverns with that + the backpath on the expansions.
KCCO!
NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
January 06 2011 08:55 GMT
#3
The middle worries me a bit. I would really place rocks at the gold/high geyser landing spot.
What is stopping a terran from FE'ing to this island or just floating there at the start?

Map looks nice and I like the positioning of the towers.

Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 06 2011 10:54 GMT
#4
Just by the name i expected Level 2 cliffs around the map borders instead of lava ^^

The main itself seems quite small (judging from the Analyzer pic). I would like to see it increased to at least 25CCs in size. Also the blocker at the 3rds seems to be to much for a base that is already very vulnerable (huge attack surface). I'm also not sure about the island.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
January 06 2011 18:35 GMT
#5
thanks for the comments guys =)

@ihasaKAROT the back areas were added addlib when I had room for them. They are clearly inspired by Xel'Naga Caverns, but I think the center area of the map changes it up enough that it's okay. If all new maps were forced to use only new concepts then we wouldn't have many maps. Those paths were originally lower than the expansion rather than higher but I ended up switching it making it closer to those in Xel'Naga Caverns.

@NeoLearner I'm considering adding rocks to the center for MotM. I did some tests with my friend on floating straight there at the beginning. If it's scouted the opponent could just fast expand. The center island is lower than the cliffs making it harder to defend against tanks. Stalkers can blink across it. Those tests were done on an earlier version where the Towers were right on the edge so you could park a worker by each one and see the entire base. Without that maybe I should add the rocks. I moved the towers back so it is harder to control the center (hopefully).

So I think I'll add those rocks on the gold =)

@Dezi yeah I've been having trouble mixing manmade and natural cliffs. it seems you can't build them together. Since I made the mains manmade, it didn't want to let me put natural cliffs next to it, so I went lower rather than higher.

The mains are small, I think they're larger then the ones on Xel'Naga Caverns though. I'd have to check.

The rocks were initially placed on the third to further separate the map. as it is, (at least in my opinion) that isn't necessarily the best third to take. Taking that as your third means both expansions are vulnerable. if you took only one, then pushed up to the corner nearest your enemy to expand, you only have to worry about your front line, and the choke in front of your main/backdoor area. But that is pushing right up to the enemy so It will need more testing.


On that note, while I was going to sleep last night I decided to rethink all my destructible rock placement. I think I got a little carried away. So I will probably remove the rocks on the third. and perhaps move them to the corner expos. Also I'll be replacing the rocks on the back path with LoS blocking grass or something. I'll probably keep the huge rocks next to the naturals for now.

I dunno, what do you guys think, has anyone played it yet?
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
January 06 2011 18:42 GMT
#6
On January 07 2011 03:35 Burfreezy wrote:
@Dezi yeah I've been having trouble mixing manmade and natural cliffs. it seems you can't build them together. Since I made the mains manmade, it didn't want to let me put natural cliffs next to it, so I went lower rather than higher.

The mains are small, I think they're larger then the ones on Xel'Naga Caverns though. I'd have to check.

I don't know how it's named in the englisch version of the editor but you can allow cliffs to join together: Tools > Brush > 2nd last option (caps + i in german editor). You then have to place filler doodads to hide the texture gaps between those cliff types.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 18:47:19
January 06 2011 18:46 GMT
#7
oh sweet! I'll try that out!

The main gameplay area is already a level 1 cliff so there can be lower areas. Would it look okay with a level 2 around the edges being only 1 higher than the ground?

oh and I think I have room to make the main a little bigger, thanks for your suggestions
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
January 06 2011 20:19 GMT
#8
adding rocks to the mid is a must. the base itself is hard to defend, but I still think rocks are needed.

i love your usage of backdoor =P
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
January 07 2011 02:39 GMT
#9
v0.8 up. Yay, I think it might be ready to submit to the contest
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
January 07 2011 05:01 GMT
#10
On January 07 2011 11:39 Burfreezy wrote:
v0.8 up. Yay, I think it might be ready to submit to the contest


Unless you have a different map you like more, for sure submit this. Nothing bad can happen!
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
January 07 2011 05:59 GMT
#11
This is my first map. So I don't have anything else I like more lol...

I started this on Sunday I think. Didn't even know there was a contest until last night.
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
January 07 2011 07:40 GMT
#12
Not saying its bad dont worry Just saying its inpired by XelNaga
KCCO!
Burfreezy
Profile Joined January 2011
United States11 Posts
January 07 2011 20:43 GMT
#13
true, but it definitely plays differently then Xelnaga. And shouldn't all maps be inspired by others in some fashion? When making the map I incorporated aspects I enjoyed in other maps, and it ended up looking more like XelNaga after adding the back routes
Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 944
910 591
firebathero 535
actioN 484
Leta 106
Dewaltoss 98
Yoon 61
Killer 39
soO 39
Hm[arnc] 26
[ Show more ]
Aegong 26
Bale 24
Sharp 13
Dota 2
Fuzer 95
League of Legends
JimRising 501
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss420
byalli312
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor978
Other Games
summit1g9327
olofmeister1081
singsing820
ceh9577
Happy417
Mew2King97
ArmadaUGS35
trigger8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2333
League of Legends
• Rush1238
• Stunt431
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
4h 48m
OSC
13h 48m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 1h
Online Event
1d 2h
FEL
1d 7h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.