• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:49
CEST 14:49
KST 21:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8644 users

PvP FE : BO and Feedback Requested

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
freshjive
Profile Joined August 2010
United States32 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 14:46:57
September 22 2010 14:35 GMT
#1
Note: I am not sure if I have see this before on the forum but I have been having some success with it lately in PvP. I think this strategy is going to hold water now that Zeals take longer to make.

This is going to be a constant probe build, I am looking to get feedback on this more than anything else and see if anyone is using something similar. I have had good success with this and will post replays.

This strategy allows you to EXPLODE at about the 14 minute mark via gateway units as the other P cannot possibly keep up with your production.

Start Build
+ Show Spoiler +

9 Pylon , Scout
Chrono Probes 10, 11
12 Gate
Chrono 13, 14
STOP building probes


by about the 13th probe you should be aware of what the other P is doing, if you see they have dropped a gate and an assimilator. If you see they are going to gate rush you, you have to mirror.

Notice an assimilator? ->Expand at natural with Nexus.

You should have a gateway almost completed at this point at which as soon as you do.

Chrono Zeal to choke and at the same time drop another pylon.

At 17 / 18 drop a core and an assimilator

Keep pumping out probes and zeals and at 4 / 5 zeals push out to the base.

Drop a Gateway Immediately and continue to use the 2 nexus to chono gate tech and units.

At this point unless the other P is doing the same you should start to be able to take over from a macro point. While sending the zeals move your probes over to your expansion and beging to produre more.

4 - 5 more gates. You will need them.

Build the 2nd assim and max out.

YOu will have a very good idea what your oppoentents doing at this point and plenty of minerals to react. You will also have an economic edge. Even if he wipes your zeals you now have 5 - 7 gates to produce units.

Tech Up / Expand FTW.

By the time he gets down to your base you should have a HUGE eco advantage and after you wipe him with some decent micro its almost game over.

I usually do a proxy pylon near his natrual. Keep him in his ramp expand once more and BOOM done.


*Edit: Found some technical mistakes in the post*
If I'm going to bet on anyone, I'm going to bet on myself
Thoramas
Profile Joined April 2010
Singapore152 Posts
September 22 2010 14:57 GMT
#2
Interesting FE.

How does the timing of the economic boost from the 2nd base kick in compare to 4 warpgate (warp tech constantly chronoboosted)? Some replays showing this out producing 4 warpgate rushes would be good.
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
September 22 2010 14:58 GMT
#3
Uhh.. this is simply not viable.
Cut probes to make a fast nexus while starting with 4 to 5 zeals??
ANY stalker pressure will kill this build. Also any tech build including colossi rapes this as well....

mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
September 22 2010 15:02 GMT
#4
could you post some replays?

i find this incredibly weak to:
3 gate blink stalker
2 gate stalker openings
colossus attacks

I really dont see a 1 gate expo working, you can go 1 gas 3 gate expo, but this is a little too fast imo
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
freshjive
Profile Joined August 2010
United States32 Posts
September 22 2010 15:04 GMT
#5
I will have a couple of replays up later on today. In the meantime try this out. You are correct You need some microing to hold off early stalker pressure but you should see it coming with the probe scout at 9.

This isn't an answer to everything build. I haven't gotten rushed with it yet because I don't do it if I see I am getting rushed
If I'm going to bet on anyone, I'm going to bet on myself
coltrane
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Chile988 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:09:57
September 22 2010 15:06 GMT
#6
Its really hard to judge without even ONE REPLAY

I dont believe this works, but cant really tell, never saw it.

I suppose its vulnerable to colossus.


I think you cant really see if you are getting rushed. I mean, is really easy to drop my plan away and just 4 gate you after I saw your expansion going down. I will have the scouting advantage, because I will have one stalker first. And as soon as I kill your probe with my 1 gated stalker I will chrono my core and put down 2 or 3 gates and steamroll you with 5-6 zealots and growing numbers of stalkers. I will have more gates, better timmings and better economy until your second chrono boost is fully operational, thats like half a minute AFTER I started the unit trading.
Jävla skit
freshjive
Profile Joined August 2010
United States32 Posts
September 23 2010 00:02 GMT
#7
Here is a link for the replay. Unfortutantely some of the other ones I had got deleted. I will see if I can get some more recent stuff up there after tonight.

http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/3960

Freshjive 14 FE Protoss
If I'm going to bet on anyone, I'm going to bet on myself
Shifft
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1085 Posts
September 23 2010 00:13 GMT
#8
No offense, but there's 100% no way that will hold up in higher level play.
=O
freshjive
Profile Joined August 2010
United States32 Posts
September 23 2010 00:24 GMT
#9
If you notice I played terrible and should have had 6 WGs down when I had 3. I am going to tweak it some more. Anyway who wants to play against me with this please add me I want to see if this is viable.
If I'm going to bet on anyone, I'm going to bet on myself
zinistr
Profile Joined April 2010
United States23 Posts
September 23 2010 00:32 GMT
#10
my build is very similar to this but I expand at 26 probes or so and I think my build is better because of it... However I must commend that the timing of the expansion is pretty safe when you see the 13 gate etc but Seriously if youre getting rushed/you will Mirror regardless...

I keep probes chronoboosted because 1) the travel distance for enemy units vs my units having not been chronoboosted will even out. Pretty much Chronoboost time save ~= Travel Distance for the enemy. So the units I have at defense should be able to match his at a timing push (not a rush, if it was a rush, i wouldve mirrored).


But more so, I expand a little later than you because I have probes to transfer over to the new Nexus vs yours being not able to. If i FE early, I wont have extra probes to transfer over and reap the benefits of a FE. Honestly that is the problem of FE in general, the benefits arent gained immediately unless you have the workers to transfer because of 1) transfer travelling time will actually get you a loss in minerals and 2) diminishing returns of additional workers, at a FE you dont experience this and "NEED" to expand

You can also pump out a sufficient number of Stalkers and Sentries to mix with Zealots off of 1 gas. As long as you arent planning to tech, you can live off of 1 gas for quite some time.
The pure essence of war is deception - Sun Tzu
freshjive
Profile Joined August 2010
United States32 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 00:10:08
September 24 2010 00:08 GMT
#11
http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/3992

Here is a replay where the guy sees what i'm doing. Sends zeals to contain it and goes down pretty quick.

I think this build is viabale in PvP. I change it so I do 12 gate, 14 expand, 15 pylon. This way I don't get supply blocked. Still working on it.

Thoughts / feedback?

guys is plat 2 v 2 im still not playing super high lvl people vs this

I think theres a pyscological effect too, you see the expansion is already going down and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Warp units cant get there fast enough again because its too far and I know you arent going all in because I scouted it.
If I'm going to bet on anyone, I'm going to bet on myself
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-24 00:42:39
September 24 2010 00:34 GMT
#12
As others have pointed out the build is poor.

See this decent pvp 1gate expand. "FE" btw traditional refers to expand before gateway builds.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=144036

Its basically like 1gate expo in pvt. This seems the most viable way to expo quickly in pvp.
1gate tech wg+units, expo ~30psi, add 2gates right away.
vs various builds such as 2gate zealot you have to adapt and not expand.
Its surprising viable vs 4gate, especially higher probe production ones or poorly done ones. Vs well done low eco 4gate you lose. Probably best vs stargate or robo builds. And loses vs dts...so might want to fit a forge in there.

Also made popular by day9 doing huk vs adelscott. Though not surprisingly day9 misses the big points. Huk goes 2gate robo 2gas somewhat high probe count and is cross map, sees the expo so cancels robo and goes sentry heavy 5gate, so the production is obviously too little too late.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko531
ProTech153
Rex 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50024
Bisu 1856
Horang2 1183
Hyuk 483
BeSt 454
Soma 400
Mini 333
EffOrt 329
Light 299
Larva 261
[ Show more ]
Rush 128
ZerO 125
Mong 99
Barracks 80
Leta 77
Snow 55
ToSsGirL 49
Pusan 47
Shinee 37
Mind 37
Aegong 28
JYJ 26
Bale 24
Sexy 23
sorry 19
Noble 12
Terrorterran 12
JulyZerg 11
Icarus 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc3335
XaKoH 368
Counter-Strike
Fnx 533
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1366
Khaldor1185
Other Games
gofns37472
singsing2279
olofmeister1031
B2W.Neo459
hiko275
Livibee185
Mew2King77
ArmadaUGS59
Liquid`VortiX13
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream205
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 40
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH219
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12m
OSC
9h 12m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 12m
Online Event
22h 12m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.