• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:40
CEST 05:40
KST 12:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7570 users

Go Igo Weiqi Baduk

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-07 19:16:14
June 06 2010 14:09 GMT
#1
Around 2 years ago I picked up this oriental board game called Go (English) / Igo (Japanese) Weiqi (Chinese) / Baduk (Korean). It is a board game involving Black and White pieces on a 19 x 19 board. Recently, I found out that quite a bit of the Go community is aware of the SC proscene, and some of them are lurking around on TL. I'm starting this thread both to flush out Go players on TL as well as to introduce people to this great game!

I think Go has many qualities which should attract the SC player. Just like SC, it is easy to learn but hard to master. It appeals to those who are relentlessly competitive and seek improvement in what they do. And lastly, Koreans tend to be cho-gosu and have a similarly feared reputation in both games. Its also been said that a lot of the top Korean and Chinese players are more than casual players of SC /WC3 - apparently in a tournament within the last couple months in Korea a lot of the Chinese pros went to play SC at a PC bang in their spare time.

Here are some resources to learn more about Go:

The Interactive Way to Go -
Easy tutorial to learn the rules. Recommended if you are a complete beginner who wants to get into the game.

Sensei's Library
A community maintained wikipedia. A great resource for learning about specific moves, history, or just common go terms.

Godiscussions Forum
This used to be one of the focal points of the community. As of long, it is supplanted by the Life in 19x19 forum (listed below) as the owner no longer had time to maintain the site, which was suffering from chronic technical issues. However, its archives are still a treasure trove of information.

Life in 19x19 Forums
The replacement forum for Godiscussions forums. Most of the veteran members have transfered to here.

KGS Go Server
Great free server to play online go. Very newbie friendly with good community atmosphere , with lots of stronger players willing to help out. There is already a teamliquid room there, but its rather sparsely populated right now. To join go to the Rooms -> Social -> teamliquid.

goproblems.com

Great site for free life and death problems.

If any TLers already play go or wish to learn more about the game, feel free to PM me or ask me for a game on KGS. I'm Aphelion02 on KGS and am 6k in rank, which is by no means good, but it would be nice to play with a fellow SC fan in Go.

But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
fly.stat
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States449 Posts
June 06 2010 14:29 GMT
#2
I asked my girlfriend to get me a Go board for christmas a couple years ago, the poor thing looked everywhere to no avail. I'm very interested in a TL Go community, I'm doing the interactive right now =)
Until I write you again, take care of your precious person.
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-06 14:32:35
June 06 2010 14:32 GMT
#3
Hey fly.stat, you could look for go boards here: http://www.ymimports.com/ :p
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
fly.stat
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States449 Posts
June 06 2010 14:47 GMT
#4
On June 06 2010 23:32 Aphelion wrote:
Hey fly.stat, you could look for go boards here: http://www.ymimports.com/ :p


O.O

some of those boards and stones are SO sick, thanks for the link!
Until I write you again, take care of your precious person.
J1.au
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Australia3596 Posts
June 06 2010 14:51 GMT
#5
I've been meaning to learn Go for a while now. Ever since I played a few games against a friend a few years ago. Unfortunately by the time I learned about online Go I was consumed by my Starcraft addiction. I might give it a proper chance this time around.
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9055 Posts
June 06 2010 15:07 GMT
#6
Stopped playing serious when I reach 1d on KGS because the local go club sucks and I can't see any future with this game in my country. But sometimes I still play for fun, handa on KGS.
MasterOfChaos
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Germany2896 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-06 17:39:32
June 06 2010 17:27 GMT
#7
We already have a thread: TL Go Group!
And we always welcome new players in the TL channel on KGS.
LiquipediaOne eye to kill. Two eyes to live.
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
June 06 2010 17:40 GMT
#8
That thread is rather old, and derailed by the Go vs Chess argument. Lets keep this one open .
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
palanq
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States761 Posts
June 06 2010 22:54 GMT
#9
yess

Go is a very good game.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
love1another
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1844 Posts
June 06 2010 22:58 GMT
#10
On June 07 2010 02:27 MasterOfChaos wrote:
We already have a thread: TL Go Group!
And we always welcome new players in the TL channel on KGS.

How can I be like Hikaru in Hikaru no go?
"I'm learning more and more that TL isn't the place to go for advice outside of anything you need in college. It's like you guys just make up your own fantasy world shit and post it as if you've done it." - Chill
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
June 06 2010 23:34 GMT
#11
I'm somewhere between 10-15k but I mostly play on 13x13. Mostly because of time, but to me it feels very different to the 19x19 game.
No I'm never serious.
DeLoAdEr
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Japan527 Posts
June 07 2010 00:06 GMT
#12
i used to play a lot of go for like half a year and used to be ~14kyu. but somehow i lost the motivation to play, maybe i'll pick it up again someday.
geetarzero
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States217 Posts
June 07 2010 00:16 GMT
#13
On June 06 2010 23:47 fly.stat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2010 23:32 Aphelion wrote:
Hey fly.stat, you could look for go boards here: http://www.ymimports.com/ :p


O.O

some of those boards and stones are SO sick, thanks for the link!


if you're on a budget though, i'd reccomend gettting one of the layaway boards which sell for less.
sKyHigh? him? don't worry about it. (–_–)
fly.stat
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States449 Posts
June 07 2010 10:19 GMT
#14
I just came off of KGS, Aphelion just helped me learn more about the basics of Go. I'm always surprised at how nice a lot of people on TL are.

LFM

Until I write you again, take care of your precious person.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
June 07 2010 10:30 GMT
#15
Man I used to play this as a child and coach other children in Chinese school.
I'm going to have to start back up again this summer with time :>
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
June 07 2010 10:44 GMT
#16
On June 07 2010 08:34 Nytefish wrote:
I'm somewhere between 10-15k but I mostly play on 13x13. Mostly because of time, but to me it feels very different to the 19x19 game.


Have you tried playing with a shorter clock, to fit your time constraints? In fast games, the time spent is about the same as a full length starcraft game.

As you said, the formats make for very different games, and if at all possible, I'd recommend sticking with 19x19. To me, 13x13 is kind of like starcraft without the macromanagement aspect, so there's a lot you're missing out on.
Zona
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
40426 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-07 11:22:37
June 07 2010 11:17 GMT
#17
I've got to start playing again.

Oh - any recommended beginner books? I need to restart from the basics.
"If you try responding to those absurd posts every day, you become more damaged. So I pay no attention to them at all." Jung Myung Hoon (aka Fantasy), as translated by Kimoleon
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
June 07 2010 13:50 GMT
#18
On June 07 2010 20:17 Zona wrote:
I've got to start playing again.

Oh - any recommended beginner books? I need to restart from the basics.


The Learn to Play Go series 1-5 by Janice Kim are pretty good for some one learning the basics. You really only need the first three books though. Graded Go problems is also a good series for practice problems.

This thread on the L19x19 forums has a very comprehensive list of good books, sorted by skill level.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
Biochemist
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1008 Posts
June 07 2010 14:58 GMT
#19
I got a Go board for christmas a few years ago, but my wife got bored of it after about two games. I know a kid in high school who will play, but he's totally antisocial and will spend like two hours on each move so it's not very much fun.

I tried playing several games on KGS; got to 16k or so after learning the absolute basics and some really basic fuseki. I was impressed with how helpful the go community is compared to b.net (this was before I discovered TL).

I think I'll get back into it this summer after my finals are over and try to get to single digit kyu. What's the TL channel?
MasterOfChaos
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Germany2896 Posts
June 07 2010 16:25 GMT
#20
To join go to the Rooms -> Social -> teamliquid
LiquipediaOne eye to kill. Two eyes to live.
1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2411
Shinee 39
NotJumperer 13
Noble 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever973
NeuroSwarm211
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft387
Other Games
summit1g7113
Coldzera 763
JimRising 660
C9.Mang0396
PiGStarcraft253
ArmadaUGS25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1016
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream347
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo970
• Rush771
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 20m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.