• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:40
CEST 01:40
KST 08:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8089 users

Flash interview by Shindonga Magazine

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
June 03 2010 03:14 GMT
#1
On April 1st, Shindonga Magazine conducted an interview/wrote story about Flash. It’s two months old, but I fel tit was a pretty interesting article, especially with some history of Flash. Cheers.



The high school gamer with a $250,000 (300000000 Korean Won) salary: FLASH
“About 1000000 won pocket money per month, mostly spent on meat.”

[image loading]



KeSPA just released their newest player rank and lists. The rank 1 player in April 2010 is Flash from KT.

This player was born in 1992, age 18. He is in the third grade of Seoul Digital High School. Three years ago, in 2007, he joined KTF MagicNs as a progamer.

We saw this player in the KT practice room. The practice room has a different atmosphere than a practice area for a soccer or baseball team. 20 some computers line the walls, and it doesn’t have the feel of a practice room for a progamer, but rather just a PC Café. Our scheduled interview time was 4pm, just after lunch. For reference, lunchtime for KT progamers is from 3pm to 4pm.

“I just finished eating lunch. I had a steak. I need to have at least one meal a day with some meat. I love eating meat so much that it drives me crazy. It helps keep my strength up too.”

Just how did this high schooler who still hasn’t taken off his 10-gen [T/N: term used to refuse to teenagers, growing up under influence of HOT, etc. (at least that’s how I understood it feel free to correct me)] T-shirt ascend to the top rank of the professional world?

Q: We really want to know how you became a progamer. How did you start the path to becoming a progamer?
-The first time I encountered Starcraft was when I was in elementary school. From a brother I learned about this game. But when I was just getting addicted, my parents said we can’t have a computer in the house, and for a long time wouldn’t buy one. When we finally bought a computer, I was already in middle school. Only then did I start playing Starcraft a lot.

Q: Did your parents worry that you would become addicted?
-Of course they were very concerned. But this game was just too interesting. Even after cram school, when I get home at 11pm I would still play. There’s a 10 minute break in cram school, and I would always run to a PC Bang and play a round. I used mealtimes for Starcraft too. I think it’s because I love Starcraft so much that I became better and better. It seems I played 3-5 hours every day.

The summer break that changed his life

During the summer break of his first middle school year, Flash decided to become a progamer, and he told his parents “I want to use a month of my break to go to Seoul and live in a practice house, and officially begin studying Starcraft.”

“In the beginning, my parents strongly opposed me. I begged them and said ‘I will get progamer status in a month. If I can’t, I’ll give it up.’ My parents accepted this condition. But even though I promised this, I was unsure if I could do it.”

And so, from his home in Daejoon, he used this summer break to move to Seoul and began his life practicing. Miraculously, he successfully achieved progamer status in a month. The speed at which his abilities increased was astonishing. But on the day he achieved his progamer status, he was stopped in the Ro4 of the offline prelims. But his parents decided that he could attain success as a progamer. In 2007, in the third year of middle school, he joined KTF MagicNs. He was only 15.

Even though Flash managed to get pro status and join KTF in only a month, it doesn’t mean it’s easy to become a progamer. Right now, there are still countless kids with progamer dreams training in practice houses. Even in KT, there are on average 5-10 kids with progamer dreams who’ll come to be tested every day. The other teams are about the same.

Q: We’ve heard that progamers regularly go through immense practice schedules. How long do you practice on average?
-Progamers all live in dorms close to the practice house. We get up at 10:30, and get to the practice house after breakfast at around 11. Because of this, we wait till 3pm before eating lunch. From 4pm-8pm, we continue practicing, and then it’s dinner time. Players on the A team have free time after this, and we can choose to practice or not, but most people will stay to practice until 11pm.

This approximates to 10 hours of practice per day, which is around 3600 hours per year. Flash joined the team 3 years ago, and before that, he would practice for 5-8 hours a day, so he has spent over 10000 hours on Starcraft.

The 10000-hour rule

We are suddenly reminded of the “10000-hour rule.” Someone said it in a book: To achieve world-class mastery in a disciple, at least 10000 hours are required. [T/N: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)]

Q: Is it tiring practicing 10+ hours a day?
-You need to manage yourself well. To maintain my health and strength, I need to eat 6 kinds of supplements right now. Ginsengs, vitamins, and other stuff too. I also have a pretty healthy body to start with, otherwise I’m sure I would get sick often.

Q: Is long-term Starcraft more damaging to the body? Even more difficult than studying?
-There are some pretty difficult times, but I still think it’s fun.

Q: Do you have weekends?
-No. We can rest a day after a major game. Our break schedule is a bit different from the norm.

Q: Then it seems like you won’t even have time to see your girlfriend after becoming a progamer. Why do you need to maintain this intense practice schedule?
-We need to give up a lot. We need to give up everything that belongs to ourselves, only then can you becomes rank 1, 2. I too gave up everything before coming here. I haven’t even thought about getting a girlfriend. I don’t even see my friends often, only occasionally during holidays. Every day is practice.

Q: Isn’t that boring?
-Even so, I still really enjoy what I do. It’s hard to express in words the joy you get from a win. Especially when the fans cheer for me, that really makes me glad.

Last time in the KBS’s “Science Café,” tests showed that Flash’s brain activity and regions are different from normal people. What do you personally think is most important aspect of being a progamer?
-To be able to win games, you need everything to align. A desire for victory, confidence, mental conditioning are all important factors. When a live game begins, a lot of players get nervous. Whether or not you can, at this point, conquer the fears and perform like you do in practice becomes crucial. Because of so many factors affecting it, results would obviously vary. Also, varied strategies is also a strong foundation for winning.

The 0.1 seconds that decide a game

Q: Simply put, is Starcraft a game where you conquer the opponent’s territory?
-It’s hard for someone who doesn’t play to understand it. There are hundreds of basic strategies alone, and almost infinite variations in games. Here, fast reflexes become important. Decisions need to be made instantaneously. You need to analyze the situation and take action in less than 0.1 seconds. Faster than you can imagine. Those who play games know, it really is instantaneous. So people who do well in gaming are good at sports too.

Q: The graphics and images are very complex in the game, seems like you need good spatial judgment. Are you good at path finding in real life?
-I really am good at it. No matter how complex the route, I’ll remember it after taking it once.

Q: How do you remember?
-I just do. It would feel right.

Q: You are rivals with Jaedong.
-I think his abilities are just as strong as mine, if not stronger. Compared to Jaedong-hyung’s games, I would often exclaim ‘how did he do that?’ or ‘amazing mind games.’ I’ve learned a lot from him, and because of the competition, it catalyzed our improvements.

Q: What was your most difficult time as a progamer?
-Last year was the worst. Our team’s records weren’t great, and I needed to do it all myself. Sayings like “child parent” began circulating. [T/N: Basically means…KTFlash…Child labor Terran xD] No matter how good my individual record was, the team’s performance was bad, and I was unable to get the MVP award, which is tied closely to a team’s performance. Even though it was slightly painful, but looking on the bright side, our team is now number 1.

Annual salary 300000000 won, 1000000 won pocket money per month.

Q: What’s your salary?
-The income includes prize money from the leagues. On the low side, it’s about 250000000 won, and it can get up to 400000000 won on the high side. Last year I got about 300000000 won.

Q: How does a high schooler spend 300000000 won?
-I’m still young, so I just gave it all to my parents to manage. I just get pocket money.

Q: How much pocket money per month?
-I get 1000000 won every month, it’s mainly spent on food. I think there’s just too few opportunities to spend it, so I’ve started saving this money too.

Q: When are you the happiest?
-I’m happiest when I see the fans. I feel really cool then. It’s one of the reasons I play, if I play well, the fans are glad, and the fans are sad if I don’t play well.

Q: When do you think you’ll game until?
-Probably until I can’t play anymore. If I can’t do it anymore, I’ll give up myself, but I don’t want to hear other people say I’m not trying hard.

Not long ago you returned to KeSPA rank 1. [T/N: Again, 2 month old interview]
-You need luck too. Recently I’ve been very lucky. I think it’s the result of the combined efforts of everyone who support me.

His hands are very big. People with big hands have an advantage. He has calluses on one hand’s pinky. The calluses were from extensive practice. Finger injuries are an occupational hazard of a progamer.

He has been studying Go recently. Because there are a lot of similarities with Starcraft, his abilities are improving rapidly.

“My mind is full of thoughts about Starcraft. When I shower, when I eat, I would always be playing ‘imaginary games’ in my head. I think it’s very interesting. I think it’s because no one’s forcing me to play Starcraft, but rather I want to do it, is why I’ve done so well.”

Shindonga Magazine, 2010/04/01.

http://shindonga.donga.com/docs/magazine/shin/2010/04/05/201004050500003/201004050500003_1.html

http://www.playsc.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=200618
TranslatorBaa!
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
June 03 2010 03:20 GMT
#2
Oh wow, that's intense.

Ty for the interview.
sung_moon
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10110 Posts
June 03 2010 03:22 GMT
#3
sick article

thank u very much ^^
Forever Young
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 03:26:16
June 03 2010 03:23 GMT
#4
Sheesh, 1million won pocket money for a teenager. D:

Thanks for interview veggie sheep.

edit: And the Science Cafe test were similar to the one they did to Xellos in a international documentary?

"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Shatter
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1401 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 03:26:12
June 03 2010 03:25 GMT
#5
Flash is hardcore even compared with progamer standards.
Nal_rAwr
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2611 Posts
June 03 2010 03:30 GMT
#6
yes! (T)Flash ftw
Nony is Bonjwa
Twilexia
Profile Joined May 2010
United States62 Posts
June 03 2010 03:30 GMT
#7
nice. this kind of complete dedication is what makes him the best.
Hello, I am ready to eat.
LeperKahn
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Romania1852 Posts
June 03 2010 03:31 GMT
#8
Flash is very articulate compared to other pros. This makes me like him a lot more.
CJ Entusman #14 • http://soundcloud.com/discodinosaur • https://discosaur.bandcamp.com/
johnlee
Profile Joined June 2009
United States242 Posts
June 03 2010 03:32 GMT
#9
Flash, flash, flash... makes the fanboyism in me just erupt.

Flash, you are the greatest<3

Thanks for the interview!
AleC
Profile Joined December 2009
332 Posts
June 03 2010 03:33 GMT
#10
On June 03 2010 12:14 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:

Last time in the KBS’s “Science Café,” tests showed that Flash’s brain activity and regions are different from normal people.


It finally makes sense...

Awesome interview =D
dcberkeley
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada844 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 03:33:43
June 03 2010 03:33 GMT
#11
This interview really reminds me that when a progamer makes a mistake in a game, they do countless other things to perfection.
Moktira is da bomb
Megalisk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States6095 Posts
June 03 2010 03:35 GMT
#12
Really good interview, he seems like a very smart kid.

“My mind is full of thoughts about Starcraft. When I shower, when I eat, I would always be playing ‘imaginary games’ in my head. I think it’s very interesting. I think it’s because no one’s forcing me to play Starcraft, but rather I want to do it, is why I’ve done so well.”

I play imaginary games in my head too, but I imagine it is nowhere near as productive as Flash can do it.
Tear stained american saints and dirty guitar dreams across a universe of desert and blue sky , gas station coffee love letters and two dollar pistol kisses from thirty five dollar hotel room stationary .
dani_caliKorea
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
730 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 03:37:46
June 03 2010 03:36 GMT
#13
On June 03 2010 12:35 Megalisk wrote:
Really good interview, he seems like a very smart kid.

“My mind is full of thoughts about Starcraft. When I shower, when I eat, I would always be playing ‘imaginary games’ in my head. I think it’s very interesting. I think it’s because no one’s forcing me to play Starcraft, but rather I want to do it, is why I’ve done so well.”

I play imaginary games in my head too, but I imagine it is nowhere near as productive as Flash can do it.


In my imaginary games I beat Flash...



On June 03 2010 12:23 Disregard wrote:
Sheesh, 1million won pocket money for a teenager. D:

Thanks for interview veggie sheep.

edit: And the Science Cafe test were similar to the one they did to Xellos in a international documentary?





thats like $800, per month?
bearbuddy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3442 Posts
June 03 2010 03:44 GMT
#14
Flash more than doubles JD's salary?
StutteR
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1903 Posts
June 03 2010 03:45 GMT
#15
On June 03 2010 12:33 xAlec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 12:14 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:

Last time in the KBS’s “Science Café,” tests showed that Flash’s brain activity and regions are different from normal people.


It finally makes sense...

Awesome interview =D



I think the so called "science" behind it was that while normal people had to very actively think about doing simple tasks, Flash simply reacted without putting much thinking behind it. Practice makes perfect :D
`~` | effOrt Movie sKyHigh forever & SEn
Neverhood
Profile Joined August 2009
United States5388 Posts
June 03 2010 03:45 GMT
#16
Thanks alot for the interview!

Haha his answers are so mature and well thought out, yet something about the questions about his salary and how he spends his money makes him seem very child-like. But geez, to live in such an intense environment at such a young age...really forces someone to grow up fast.
Jaedong :D
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
June 03 2010 03:47 GMT
#17
Flash is such a baller. Thanks for the interview.
ॐ
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
June 03 2010 03:48 GMT
#18
Awesome interview. I'm sure his parents are hella happy that they caved on the whole "become a progamer" thing.
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
SoManyDeadLings
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada255 Posts
June 03 2010 03:54 GMT
#19
Ahahaha he spents his pocket money mostly on meat.

No wonder you can see his nice big one-pack :D
wsrgry
shindigs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4795 Posts
June 03 2010 03:57 GMT
#20
On June 03 2010 12:54 SoManyDeadLings wrote:
Ahahaha he spents his pocket money mostly on meat.

No wonder you can see his nice big one-pack :D


Must be amazing korean bbq he's buying
Photographer@shindags || twitch.tv/shindigs
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings59
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O140
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 108
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 877
ZZZero.O 140
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
League of Legends
Doublelift5307
JimRising 774
Other Games
summit1g9572
FrodaN3260
KnowMe197
C9.Mang0184
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP57
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie905
• Shiphtur203
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 20m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 20m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 20m
Replay Cast
23h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.