• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:41
CEST 03:41
KST 10:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8966 users

Happy birthday, Emperor

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Slugbreath
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden201 Posts
September 04 2009 19:32 GMT
#1
Today marks the 29th birthday of Lim Yo hwan, known and loved by us all as (T)SlayerS_`BoxeR`, the Emperor.

[image loading]


While technically he doesn't turn one year older today due to the way the korean age system works, I still wanted to take this chance to say happy birthday.

It may not be original nor unexpected to state BoxeR as one's favorite progamer, but the truth is that there really is noone quite like him.

I bought StarCraft back in the early first few years of the new millenia, and played it casually. At first I had no idea that there existed such a thing as a korean proscene and I thought that StarCraft was a game just like every other one. How wrong I was.

Then in 2005 I got a job at a local newspaper station and I met a fellow StarCraft player who had a lot more insight in the game than I had. We talked a bit about how good the best StarCraft players might be and he mentioned someone I would come to remember as [Slayer], pronounced Box Slayer.

Now that I think back on it I understand that it must have been SlayerS_`BoxeR` that he mentioned. I had jokingly asked if the best gamers of the world could defeat me with just using SCVs. My work colleague had replied:
– He has SCV-rushed his opponent and won.


Never before had SCVs seemed so powerful.

Indeed he has. Boxer, the largest StarCraft innovator of them all, has done many a thing in StarCraft. The Emperor has always been thinking outside the box(er), if you do pardon the terrible pun.

In 2009, I rediscovered StarCraft and with it, the progaming scene. Thanks to YouTube channels such as nevake and the GOMTV homepage, I quickly fell in love with watching the professionals play.

I saw the massive macro machine that is (T)Flash, I saw the incredible powerhouse that is (Z)Jaedong and I saw and heard Tasteless talking about progamers of old. But no matter how much StarCraft I watch and how many players make their mark on my memory, nobody comes near the Emperor.

He seems to be playing, not only to win, but also to create entertaining games for his viewers.

Some games where short and intense



while others where long and epic





but they all had one thing in common: You never knew what to expect.

With Boxer, one can only expect the unexpected. He's playing style is so unique, so innovative and so, if I may say so, crazy that it's almost a surprise when he plays standard play!

If he wins or loses doesn't really matter. As long as I get to see him play, I'm happy because I know that it will be a fantastic game.

The outcome doesn't really matter. Boxer makes StarCraft an art.

To me, Boxer represents many things in StarCraft. He represents innovation and evolution of the game, better than any other player does.

Boxer also represents a time past. A time where gamers laughed and actually showed emotion when they won. One of my favorite StarCraft games is in fact a casual game between Boxer and (Z)JinNam where the aim was to use micro to win. Boxer started with seven Vultures and a Siege Tank while Jinnam stared with eight Dragoons.

Just look at them laugh and look all excited.

I guess I could go on and on for ever just posting VODs of great Boxer games, but time has come to wrap this all up.

So in conclusion I just want to say happy birthday, Boxer, and thank you for all the entertaining, crazy and innovative games you have brought us all through out the years. I may be a Protoss player, but I still bow down to the Emperor.

/Slugbreath
ghostWriter
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3302 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-04 21:20:50
September 04 2009 21:18 GMT
#2
Nice thread, but there's already a thread for this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=101282
Sullifam
739
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Bearded Elder29905 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-05 04:43:03
September 04 2009 21:30 GMT
#3
fail.


User was Temp-Banned for this post.
WriterSalty oldboy that loves memes | One and only back-to-back Liquibet Winner
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-04 21:44:57
September 04 2009 21:35 GMT
#4
Lim yo Hwans love cannot fit in one thread, there must be many!

Completely acceptable simply because its freaking boxer.

Plus to add, very good read, thanks for the post. I had actually never seen that SCV rush and it was very entertaining.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
XythOs
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
Germany520 Posts
September 04 2009 21:36 GMT
#5
On September 05 2009 06:30 crucifix wrote:
fail.

not really, the op is very good.
Kurosaki
Profile Joined August 2008
United States158 Posts
September 04 2009 21:39 GMT
#6
A+ for effort.
mrdx
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Vietnam1555 Posts
September 05 2009 04:30 GMT
#7
On September 05 2009 06:30 crucifix wrote:
fail.

No you fail. The op is good.
BoxerForever.com - the one and only international Boxer fansite since 2006 :)
DoX.)
Profile Joined December 2008
Singapore6164 Posts
September 05 2009 04:41 GMT
#8
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Kennelie
Profile Joined December 2007
United States2296 Posts
September 05 2009 04:41 GMT
#9
this op is better than gtr's.
ya had ya shot kid!
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
September 05 2009 04:46 GMT
#10
Slugbreath - Awesome post!!

I've editted in your OP to GTR's existing thread.

Thanks!!
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 110
Nina 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12806
Rain 2219
Artosis 648
Dewaltoss 21
NaDa 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift4956
Counter-Strike
taco 463
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1617
ArmadaUGS404
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft459
Other Games
summit1g7793
Day[9].tv710
shahzam664
JimRising 597
C9.Mang0171
PiGStarcraft165
Maynarde157
ViBE155
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick943
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 118
• davetesta28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv710
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 19m
OSC
11h 19m
Stellar Fest
11h 19m
OSC
22h 19m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.