• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:31
CEST 04:31
KST 11:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8803 users

TL.net Ten Commandments - Page 519

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 517 518 519 520 521 582 Next
Newhill
Profile Joined June 2012
Norway2 Posts
February 01 2013 22:37 GMT
#10361
Roger
Otto von Bismarck
Profile Joined February 2013
United States2 Posts
February 02 2013 04:28 GMT
#10362
Hokay
I Love You. Let's Light Ourselves On Fire.
Mad-Hatter
Profile Joined February 2013
1 Post
February 02 2013 06:25 GMT
#10363
For scouting when there are three possible spawn locations for your opponent shouldn't you first randomly pick a spawn location where you think the other player is, scout one of the others at random then if they aren't there assume it is the third one and check that. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
32
Profile Joined February 2010
United States163 Posts
February 02 2013 07:20 GMT
#10364
No, because your "host" is not telling you a different location is not the one you were looking for. All you have actually done is checked 1 of 3 spawn locations.
32
Profile Joined February 2010
United States163 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-02 07:25:14
February 02 2013 07:23 GMT
#10365
Wait, I would like to amend that, now I feel stupid. I think that works? OK get it now, but it must be a random selection of the other two, making it impractical on some maps I think.
CrazyHunter
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
United States83 Posts
February 02 2013 23:09 GMT
#10366
Woot! Glad to be part of the site!
The strong live. The weak die
32
Profile Joined February 2010
United States163 Posts
February 03 2013 03:10 GMT
#10367
Now I have thought about it some more. This time I think I have it.
Monty System: starting location is 1, chosen location is 2
opponent spawns at 2:
scout 3, 4, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 3:
scout 3: best outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 4:
scout 3, 4: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4: best outcome at 1/6 probability
So worst at 1/3 probability, middle at 1/3 probability, and best at 1/3 probability, the same as if you just chose to scout the unscouted mains clockwise around the map from your starting position.
Really this was simple, I'm just a stupid. the difference is that in the Monty Hall problem, there is no way to get the car on the first door opened, so you make sure to add that probability to the probability of getting the car on the second door opened. In starcraft you can get the correct "door" on your first try, so there is no indication of where the car may be for the second door. There was also a BW map I never understood called Monty Hall, so maybe someone figured out how to get this thing to work, or maybe it was just reminiscent of the 3 doors in the problem. I don't remember, and I doubt I could figure it out anyway if I took the time to try. BW maps are confusing but they look so nice.
SirColveskey
Profile Joined February 2013
United States3 Posts
February 03 2013 06:40 GMT
#10368
You must construct additional pylons! Or post on this thread. Loved the death threats part
Unoqualunque
Profile Joined February 2013
Italy1 Post
February 03 2013 18:01 GMT
#10369
How do I post? ow....ok... Hi :D
Foloiii
Profile Joined February 2013
France1 Post
February 03 2013 19:10 GMT
#10370
Understood !
Nightcreeper91
Profile Joined February 2013
1 Post
February 03 2013 20:10 GMT
#10371
Right, I got it!
locelo
Profile Joined February 2013
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-04 15:50:14
February 04 2013 14:41 GMT
#10372
Editing / Deleting

Sorry guys, i did login after search and enter in the correct thread.

Could someone delete this?

Thanks and sorry again.
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
February 04 2013 15:02 GMT
#10373
What the hell is going on here? This isn't the place for talking about probability or suspected hackers.
Moderator
Cokefreak
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland8096 Posts
February 04 2013 15:05 GMT
#10374
He probably wanted to post into the hacker thread but didn't realize you get redicted here when registering.
Mandini
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1717 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-04 15:06:54
February 04 2013 15:06 GMT
#10375
When someone registers to post in a thread, it brings them here, and some people dont bother to notice that the thread has changed on them. It leads to the fun game of "find what thread the post was meant for" which sometimes is quite difficult.

Edit: coke too fast
Promethelax
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada7089 Posts
February 04 2013 15:17 GMT
#10376
On February 03 2013 12:10 32 wrote:
Now I have thought about it some more. This time I think I have it.
Monty System: starting location is 1, chosen location is 2
opponent spawns at 2:
scout 3, 4, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 3:
scout 3: best outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 4:
scout 3, 4: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4: best outcome at 1/6 probability
So worst at 1/3 probability, middle at 1/3 probability, and best at 1/3 probability, the same as if you just chose to scout the unscouted mains clockwise around the map from your starting position.
Really this was simple, I'm just a stupid. the difference is that in the Monty Hall problem, there is no way to get the car on the first door opened, so you make sure to add that probability to the probability of getting the car on the second door opened. In starcraft you can get the correct "door" on your first try, so there is no indication of where the car may be for the second door. There was also a BW map I never understood called Monty Hall, so maybe someone figured out how to get this thing to work, or maybe it was just reminiscent of the 3 doors in the problem. I don't remember, and I doubt I could figure it out anyway if I took the time to try. BW maps are confusing but they look so nice.


have either of you figured out what thread this one was meant for? I'm lost.
TL Mafia. Love it. Play it. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 I find Kennigit really attractive. If anyone has a picture of him please feel free to PM it to me.
Cokefreak
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland8096 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-04 15:19:20
February 04 2013 15:18 GMT
#10377
On February 05 2013 00:17 Promethelax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2013 12:10 32 wrote:
Now I have thought about it some more. This time I think I have it.
Monty System: starting location is 1, chosen location is 2
opponent spawns at 2:
scout 3, 4, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3, 2: worst outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 3:
scout 3: best outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4, 3: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
opponent spawns at 4:
scout 3, 4: middle outcome at 1/6 probability
scout 4: best outcome at 1/6 probability
So worst at 1/3 probability, middle at 1/3 probability, and best at 1/3 probability, the same as if you just chose to scout the unscouted mains clockwise around the map from your starting position.
Really this was simple, I'm just a stupid. the difference is that in the Monty Hall problem, there is no way to get the car on the first door opened, so you make sure to add that probability to the probability of getting the car on the second door opened. In starcraft you can get the correct "door" on your first try, so there is no indication of where the car may be for the second door. There was also a BW map I never understood called Monty Hall, so maybe someone figured out how to get this thing to work, or maybe it was just reminiscent of the 3 doors in the problem. I don't remember, and I doubt I could figure it out anyway if I took the time to try. BW maps are confusing but they look so nice.


have either of you figured out what thread this one was meant for? I'm lost.

He responded into another post earlier in this thread. Just a few posts above that one.
Promethelax
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada7089 Posts
February 04 2013 15:21 GMT
#10378
and where the hell was that one going? There must have been a thread for the first comment, no?
TL Mafia. Love it. Play it. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 I find Kennigit really attractive. If anyone has a picture of him please feel free to PM it to me.
Cokefreak
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland8096 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-04 15:32:56
February 04 2013 15:32 GMT
#10379
Yeah, that I have no idea about. Maybe a strategy topic? Or maybe it's just some weird adbot for wikipedia
Mandini
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1717 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-04 15:34:54
February 04 2013 15:34 GMT
#10380
Probably some sc2 or bw strat thread where there was a discussion on scouting. Maybe a maps thread too but i would assume the amount of people who join to post in the maps forum is relatively low. Not really worth looking into, although the response to it was amusing.
Prev 1 517 518 519 520 521 582 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta32
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech133
RuFF_SC2 102
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1407
Shuttle 1365
Artosis 614
Dewaltoss 54
NaDa 27
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
Doublelift3894
Counter-Strike
taco 494
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox560
Other Games
summit1g8051
WinterStarcraft357
C9.Mang0289
ViBE128
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur186
Upcoming Events
OSC
20h 29m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 7h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.