• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:23
CEST 11:23
KST 18:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8312 users

Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread - Page 720

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 718 719 720 721 722 746 Next
When using this resource, please read the opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
October 14 2020 23:26 GMT
#14381
I'd be surprised by much of anything dropping in price while covid shortages are still a thing (which I'd expect to last till late 2021).
twitch.tv/cratonz
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-15 06:08:06
October 15 2020 06:07 GMT
#14382
Yeah we have record demand for computer hardware, games etc this year. I don't think it'll last that long though, the next few seasons are a solid bet
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Derity
Profile Joined May 2009
Germany2952 Posts
October 15 2020 09:22 GMT
#14383
Yeah, I checked the prices for a few gpu, mostly stable or rising, but not dropping
739
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Bearded Elder29905 Posts
October 15 2020 09:51 GMT
#14384
Guys

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop for personal use and for some not-very-new games.

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53M3
15,6"
144Hz
Intel® Core™ i5-10300H
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
RTX2060 Graphic + Win 10

Is this a decent laptop to use? I have a pretty good prize on it and I'm thinking if it's worth.
WriterSalty oldboy that loves memes | One and only back-to-back Liquibet Winner
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
October 15 2020 19:18 GMT
#14385
I'm looking to add more storage to my computer. Is there an advantage to HDD versus usb 3.0 or will 3.0 work just as well? Also I have an old blu ray drive I don't use anymore (software wanted me to buy it again then stopped working) so how hard would it be to take that out/put in a new HDD. Can I use the same plug that's there or do I need to use something else/an adapter. I've done some basic stuff but never done anything drive related by myself.

"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
October 15 2020 21:37 GMT
#14386
On October 15 2020 18:51 739 wrote:
Guys

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop for personal use and for some not-very-new games.

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-53M3
15,6"
144Hz
Intel® Core™ i5-10300H
16GB RAM
512GB SSD
RTX2060 Graphic + Win 10

Is this a decent laptop to use? I have a pretty good prize on it and I'm thinking if it's worth.


From a parts perspective, nothing wrong with it. No AMD version of it with the same GPU is available, so it's fine. If you're getting a good price, it'll work.

On October 16 2020 04:18 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
I'm looking to add more storage to my computer. Is there an advantage to HDD versus usb 3.0 or will 3.0 work just as well? Also I have an old blu ray drive I don't use anymore (software wanted me to buy it again then stopped working) so how hard would it be to take that out/put in a new HDD. Can I use the same plug that's there or do I need to use something else/an adapter. I've done some basic stuff but never done anything drive related by myself.


HDD is faster than USB 3.0 in most cases. Whether or not it's noticeable is dependent on your use case and questionable if you're using it for storing stuff like movies.

If you have an old internal blu-ray drive, it's probably using SATA/SATA power, you can plug most hard drives in using the same plugs. Only difference is bluray is going to be 5 1/4" vs the 3.5" bay of the HDD, so you might need to check wiring lengths to make sure that you can reach where you plug the HDD in.

something like the plugs on the right side of the drive here.
[image loading]

At most though, you'll need to buy a SATA cable (Data from HDD to motherboard), and molex -> SATA power adapter which are both fairly simple to pick up/use.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
October 15 2020 21:45 GMT
#14387
I'd probably use it for games at this point. Since that's what I need the storage for and once I upgrade my computer (now thinking spring or like Jan/Feb) I'm going to play a lot more games on it. Thanks for the info. I also have a lower place i could put the HDD I think I'd just need to move the casing part of it if it didn't quite reach. I'll prob go with the internal cause it sounds pretty simple.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-17 12:19:46
October 17 2020 12:08 GMT
#14388
Howdy y'all, thinking on whether to upgrade my current Omen 880-130 gaming desktop and my homebuild knowledge is like 15 years outdated. My question is, is it worth picking up another 16 gb of ram for this, and if so, whats the most primo ram that'll work? Also, am I gonna need to upgrade graphics card or CPU anytime soon? I use this solely for gaming and stream watching, and I mostly play lower req games like 4x and CSGO. I would like to be able to play stuff like Cyberpunk though.

Here are my specs:

Tampa2 Mobo
8th Generation Intel Core i7-8700K Processor, 6-Core, 3.70GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11 GB GDDR5X dedicated)
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM

Here's the HP spec sheet

Thanks in advance
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
October 17 2020 14:11 GMT
#14389
Probably not on the RAM, 16GB is plenty for gaming. With RAM you just want to match the frequency and timings. They'll all work, but at the slowest common speed.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-17 17:11:50
October 17 2020 17:10 GMT
#14390
Shame you can only run ddr4-2400 JEDEC on that motherboard, that's a big performance loss against even out-of-the-box settings for faster RAM.

Are you using 1080p60hz?
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-17 23:15:10
October 17 2020 23:13 GMT
#14391
Thanks Craton, that’s what I thought.

And yeah Cyro, 1080p at 60hz, I looked into going up to 144hz but decided it wasn’t worth it. And what do you mean about the performance loss, I take it something about the Omen build is sub optimal?
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
ZerOCoolSC2
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
9066 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-19 05:16:06
October 18 2020 20:03 GMT
#14392
I need a new M.2 ssd already and am thinking of getting this one: https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250110

I have the EVO970 500GB but I can't afford the new 980. Should this do the trick? Or should I opt for the Intel version?

Also, WTF DO YOU FIND A DAMN FEMALE TO FEMALE CPU FAN CORD FOR THE CORSAIR ICUE CONTROLLER!?!?
unit
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2621 Posts
October 20 2020 14:22 GMT
#14393
Looking to build PC for 1080p gaming. Main goals are playing sc2 on ultra, possibly streaming at some point but not a requirement. And to play titles like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on at least high settings.

I’m currently looking at building around a Ryzen 5 2600 and RX580. Mostly wondering if this would be enough or if I should go higher on either part. Build cost goal is to stay under 1k usd
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
October 20 2020 18:32 GMT
#14394
On October 19 2020 05:03 ZerOCoolSC2 wrote:
I need a new M.2 ssd already and am thinking of getting this one: https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250110

I have the EVO970 500GB but I can't afford the new 980. Should this do the trick? Or should I opt for the Intel version?

Also, WTF DO YOU FIND A DAMN FEMALE TO FEMALE CPU FAN CORD FOR THE CORSAIR ICUE CONTROLLER!?!?


This is generally a better drive:
https://www.newegg.com/xpg-sx8200-pro-1tb/p/0D9-0017-000W4?Description=sx8200&cm_re=sx8200-_-0D9-0017-000W4-_-Product&quicklink=true

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2381?vs=2380

You don't really have to pay the samsung tax, there's a lot of other options.

I did some quick searching and I couldn't find a cable. If you're handy, make your own by splicing together a couple of m-f cables or:
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174759&t=174759
ZerOCoolSC2
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
9066 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-20 22:19:03
October 20 2020 20:58 GMT
#14395
On October 21 2020 03:32 Lmui wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2020 05:03 ZerOCoolSC2 wrote:
I need a new M.2 ssd already and am thinking of getting this one: https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250110

I have the EVO970 500GB but I can't afford the new 980. Should this do the trick? Or should I opt for the Intel version?

Also, WTF DO YOU FIND A DAMN FEMALE TO FEMALE CPU FAN CORD FOR THE CORSAIR ICUE CONTROLLER!?!?


This is generally a better drive:
https://www.newegg.com/xpg-sx8200-pro-1tb/p/0D9-0017-000W4?Description=sx8200&cm_re=sx8200-_-0D9-0017-000W4-_-Product&quicklink=true

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2381?vs=2380

You don't really have to pay the samsung tax, there's a lot of other options.

I did some quick searching and I couldn't find a cable. If you're handy, make your own by splicing together a couple of m-f cables or:
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174759&t=174759

Yeah, I made one last night but it's a bit loose. So I'll see how long it lasts. It works so that's all I care about lol.

And thanks for that m.2. I'll probably get one at the end of the month. I'll probably push my Samsung into the PS5 at some point, so having a replacement installed and ready is what I want to have.

Edit: I contacted Corsair about the missing cable and they're going to send me a new one free of charge. So yata.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-22 01:33:50
October 22 2020 01:33 GMT
#14396
On October 20 2020 23:22 unit wrote:
Looking to build PC for 1080p gaming. Main goals are playing sc2 on ultra, possibly streaming at some point but not a requirement. And to play titles like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on at least high settings.

I’m currently looking at building around a Ryzen 5 2600 and RX580. Mostly wondering if this would be enough or if I should go higher on either part. Build cost goal is to stay under 1k usd


Should really go 3600
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
October 22 2020 01:39 GMT
#14397
Someone sanity check me. Given 4 slots of 2x2 dual channel RAM and identical frequency and timings, there's no issue with running different capacity, right? E.g. 8gb x2 + 16gb x2
twitch.tv/cratonz
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-22 02:27:36
October 22 2020 02:11 GMT
#14398
On October 22 2020 10:39 Craton wrote:
Someone sanity check me. Given 4 slots of 2x2 dual channel RAM and identical frequency and timings, there's no issue with running different capacity, right? E.g. 8gb x2 + 16gb x2


Memory controller stress and somewhat suboptimal performance is the main issue

There are a few ways to run such a config, but all of them are pretty bad. Examples:

A: All of the sticks are based on the same IC - one rank of 8gbit IC's on each 8GB stick and two ranks on each 16GB stick.
This is 3 ranks per channel across 2 DIMM slots per channel which is very hard on the IMC. The single rank sticks want different memory controller / signalling settings than the dual rank ones, this can get messy very fast if you want any kind of frequency that doesn't suck.

B: Mismatched IC's, like a rank of an 8gbit IC's on one pair of sticks and a rank of 16gbit IC's on the other pair. Now it's only 2 ranks per channel and some of the memory controller settings should be more similar, but the different memory chips might want completely different timings or a few other settings and thus have timing compromises and/or compatibility issues.

You would have 48GB of memory total, 24GB per channel, so that part would work fine.

TL;DR sure but just don't count on frequency being good or timings being excellent. Generally if going from 2x8GB to a 32GB+ config i would suggest selling the original sticks and buying a new 2x16GB or 4x16GB config based on known, same IC's. Memory performance is generally too important to give it up without a better reason.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
October 22 2020 04:09 GMT
#14399
Why would it want to use different timings if all 4 sticks have the same starting timings?
twitch.tv/cratonz
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
October 22 2020 18:49 GMT
#14400
On October 20 2020 23:22 unit wrote:
Looking to build PC for 1080p gaming. Main goals are playing sc2 on ultra, possibly streaming at some point but not a requirement. And to play titles like Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on at least high settings.

I’m currently looking at building around a Ryzen 5 2600 and RX580. Mostly wondering if this would be enough or if I should go higher on either part. Build cost goal is to stay under 1k usd

https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc/sp-technical/issue/1556/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements
Prev 1 718 719 720 721 722 746 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech0
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 404
Horang2 277
Larva 232
EffOrt 161
Mind 77
Hyun 61
scan(afreeca) 43
Killer 40
Bale 39
NotJumperer 39
[ Show more ]
Sharp 27
sorry 25
ggaemo 24
Shinee 18
Hm[arnc] 12
Sacsri 5
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto101
League of Legends
JimRising 422
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1157
edward80
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King105
Other Games
summit1g7875
Coldzera 687
ceh9655
Happy295
crisheroes195
Sick187
dupreeh65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick567
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2279
League of Legends
• Jankos1115
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
37m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 37m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 37m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.