• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:30
CEST 17:30
KST 00:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7872 users

What type of filco should i get?

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Dannnnn_The_Man
Profile Joined April 2011
United States166 Posts
June 12 2011 03:22 GMT
#1
So this summer i have a very nice paying job and im looking to expand my gaming setup with building a pc, I already have a beautiful monitor which im getting another one (asus v236h i think) and death adder. now its time to add a nice keyboard seeing as im on a laptop now.

After much researching, i have come to the conclusion that filco is the way to go but i am not quite sure what to get. I like on the quieter side of keyboards but im not sure which one that exactly would be.

Really would like some feedback seeing as i know you guys are knowledgeable!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Elevenst
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada249 Posts
June 12 2011 03:31 GMT
#2
black or brown switches blues are quite poor i know it's been circulated a lot but this really helped me come to a decision on my mechanical keyboard and i'm very very satisfied with it ^^
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
hope it helps
Quanbsn
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Vietnam18 Posts
June 12 2011 03:33 GMT
#3
Just choose what type of switch you want, linear is black switch, tactile is brown and click is blue. I think you should try out the new version ninja, it looks really really decent.
epikAnglory
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1120 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 03:35:13
June 12 2011 03:34 GMT
#4
Yeah Elevenst got to the link before I did, pretty much not much to explain, everything is in there.

Black is more designed for gaming, but you will not FEEL much of a difference between that and a regular one. I would have gotten the brown, you get the feeling of a mechanical switch while not having a clacky sound (that is if you do not like it).

It is preference to be honest, if you want a sound you would get the blue. I used a Brown and White Alps switches, they are all pretty decent. To appreciate the keyboard, I would probably get keys with a tactile feeling, the rest comes down to whether you want a clicky (and loud) sound or not.

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html#post6009482
710+ Posts with a Probe Icon =D
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
June 12 2011 03:42 GMT
#5
Blacks arent 'designed' for gaming, they are more oriented towards games in which you have to hold a key press for an extended period of time, this is because it's linear. This actually makes it quite poor for rts games, which require rapid presses of keys. Blacks require you to nearly bottom out the key for it to actuate, while blues and browns are actuated half way, giving you the ability to touch type. Overall blacks require the most force and put the most strain on your hands. Browns and blues are overall the more popular choice for SC2, blues are loud and have an audible click, and browns are more subtle (but any mech keyboard makes noise when you press keys).
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
sawedust
Profile Joined December 2010
United States506 Posts
June 12 2011 03:51 GMT
#6
DAFS, seriously. Tons of threads posted on this subject.

To answer your question, get a brown or blue switched keyboard. Best keyboard for gaming and typing.

If you want a gaming-only keyboard, look for a red switched board.

Filco and Leopold are top dogs when it comes to cherry mechanical keyboards. You can't go wrong with any of their options.

Razer BlackWidow is the best choice as a decent blue switched option if you don't mind the layout.
Maelstrom.cobhc
Profile Joined April 2010
United States126 Posts
June 12 2011 03:56 GMT
#7
On June 12 2011 12:42 Phayze wrote:
Blacks arent 'designed' for gaming, they are more oriented towards games in which you have to hold a key press for an extended period of time, this is because it's linear. This actually makes it quite poor for rts games, which require rapid presses of keys. Blacks require you to nearly bottom out the key for it to actuate, while blues and browns are actuated half way, giving you the ability to touch type. Overall blacks require the most force and put the most strain on your hands. Browns and blues are overall the more popular choice for SC2, blues are loud and have an audible click, and browns are more subtle (but any mech keyboard makes noise when you press keys).

Blacks also actuate half way. Please make sure you know the facts before telling it to someone else.
I don't care what you need. I only do it to please me.
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
June 12 2011 04:01 GMT
#8
On June 12 2011 12:56 Maelstrom.cobhc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2011 12:42 Phayze wrote:
Blacks arent 'designed' for gaming, they are more oriented towards games in which you have to hold a key press for an extended period of time, this is because it's linear. This actually makes it quite poor for rts games, which require rapid presses of keys. Blacks require you to nearly bottom out the key for it to actuate, while blues and browns are actuated half way, giving you the ability to touch type. Overall blacks require the most force and put the most strain on your hands. Browns and blues are overall the more popular choice for SC2, blues are loud and have an audible click, and browns are more subtle (but any mech keyboard makes noise when you press keys).

Blacks also actuate half way. Please make sure you know the facts before telling it to someone else.


Yep, blacks, blues, and browns actuate halfway as do reds and clear. This thread has a ton of great info the switch types.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
gulati
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2241 Posts
June 12 2011 05:39 GMT
#9
Blues. Why get a mechanical keyboard if it can't sound mechanical? Same thing as browns, except you get to have audible feedback too. I'd never switch from my blues. They are perfect.
C r u m b l i n g
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
June 12 2011 05:41 GMT
#10
If you can, try them all out before you buy.

Switches and how good they are are relatively subjective.

For me, browns.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
LaiShin
Profile Joined November 2005
Australia978 Posts
June 12 2011 06:26 GMT
#11
On June 12 2011 12:33 Quanbsn wrote:
Just choose what type of switch you want, linear is black switch, tactile is brown and click is blue. I think you should try out the new version ninja, it looks really really decent.


Yea, should definitely go for the ninjas. I regretted not waiting for them.
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
June 12 2011 06:47 GMT
#12
Anybody actually notice an improvement in APM or play from their upgrade to mechanical from rubber dome? I have a saitek eclipse 2 which has very soft keys and basically is meant for gaming but it's kind of old now and considering to go mechanical. I'm questioning though whether or not it's even worth the extra money...

Some testimonials on how mechanical keyboards helped any players plz?
Slayth
Profile Joined November 2010
United States325 Posts
June 12 2011 06:51 GMT
#13
I'm loving my cherry mx blue TBH. It all depends on the person and the feel you like. Sadly, without trying out different keyboards, you won't know which switch is best for you.

Personally, blue is my best. I like the feel of blue better with the games I play, but Cherry MX Browns are known as one of the best for gaming since most gamers ALWAYS bottom out during the heat of the moment.

Your best best: Find a place or find people who own different switches. Try each switch out.

Obviously thats a long shot. From everything I read or heard before I bought my keyboard, Blue is the best place to start, but, as I said, most gamers prefer the browns.

All in all, try the browns (yes, I know I just made my whole post useless).
Fanclubs I'm in: Destiny, EGHuK, EGIdrA, IMNestea, LiquidTLO, LiquidJinro, IMLosira, TypePhoeNix, MvPDongRaeGu, STJuly, WhiteRa. "this is more fucked up than lord of the flies" - Tasteless , "WHEN THERE'S NO INTERNET, LAN ROCKS" - Lim Yo-Hwan
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 06:56:18
June 12 2011 06:52 GMT
#14
On June 12 2011 15:47 Zapdos_Smithh wrote:
Anybody actually notice an improvement in APM or play from their upgrade to mechanical from rubber dome? I have a saitek eclipse 2 which has very soft keys and basically is meant for gaming but it's kind of old now and considering to go mechanical. I'm questioning though whether or not it's even worth the extra money...

Some testimonials on how mechanical keyboards helped any players plz?

I have felt an APM increase since I got my Filco (about a week ago). In tetris I started setting new records after about 3 days. I definitely feels better to play tetris.

For stepmania I took a huge hit in timing when i switched but after a day I started to get back to the same level that I was before. Now I'm getting better scores than before.

I don't notice a difference when i'm playing starcraft but I feels pretty good when I type. I have a Filco Brown btw.

On June 12 2011 14:39 gulati wrote:
Blues. Why get a mechanical keyboard if it can't sound mechanical? Same thing as browns, except you get to have audible feedback too. I'd never switch from my blues. They are perfect.


Two reasons. One of which I've outlined in this post here:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158928&currentpage=2#23
(The blues aren't perfect since their actuation point and reset point are skewed.)

The second of which is that there is a clear audible feedback from using the browns if you bottom out. You make it sound as if the browns are compeltely silent. The browns are light enough that you'll be bottoming out 100% of the time when playing starcraft. Trust me have a brown and it still makes noise and feels good.
ESV Mapmaking Team
LaiShin
Profile Joined November 2005
Australia978 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 07:30:16
June 12 2011 07:29 GMT
#15
On June 12 2011 15:47 Zapdos_Smithh wrote:
Anybody actually notice an improvement in APM or play from their upgrade to mechanical from rubber dome? I have a saitek eclipse 2 which has very soft keys and basically is meant for gaming but it's kind of old now and considering to go mechanical. I'm questioning though whether or not it's even worth the extra money...

Some testimonials on how mechanical keyboards helped any players plz?


Mine was a decrease. I noticed myself not spamming as much, which is both good and bad. My keyboard movement is slower than before and it's much more tiring for long games. I even felt that I'm compensating my slower keyboard movement with my mouse movement.

My main issue is probably the long travel distance of the keys to bottom out and I was a user of flat keyboards. I've put in some conscious effort into not bottoming out. But in the heat of the games, it just wouldn't work. Sometimes, a 20 min game felt like a 30 min game. Still working on this after 2 months.

What I like about it:
-typing on it felt really good
-love it for fps games
-build quality is second to none

It's a trade-off that most people have to deal with.

For reference, I'm using a majestouch 1 brown.
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
June 12 2011 07:40 GMT
#16
On June 12 2011 15:47 Zapdos_Smithh wrote:
Anybody actually notice an improvement in APM or play from their upgrade to mechanical from rubber dome? I have a saitek eclipse 2 which has very soft keys and basically is meant for gaming but it's kind of old now and considering to go mechanical. I'm questioning though whether or not it's even worth the extra money...

Some testimonials on how mechanical keyboards helped any players plz?

I've heard people say they type faster since all the keys are more responsive. But actual game-play I'm not so sure.

I believe most people think you can get up to 10 WPM increase in typing. I think I've gone from a 90 WPM to 110, but that's a rather unscientific sample of one for me.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
Cow
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1104 Posts
June 12 2011 07:43 GMT
#17
On June 12 2011 15:47 Zapdos_Smithh wrote:
Anybody actually notice an improvement in APM or play from their upgrade to mechanical from rubber dome? I have a saitek eclipse 2 which has very soft keys and basically is meant for gaming but it's kind of old now and considering to go mechanical. I'm questioning though whether or not it's even worth the extra money...

Some testimonials on how mechanical keyboards helped any players plz?


I upgraded from a rubber dome to a Leopold FC200RT with Cherry Browns.

Specifically in terms of game play, the biggest improvement for me was 1a2a3a'ing. With a rubber dome, often times, one of the a's wouldn't register due to the speed at which I pressed the buttons. However, that hasn't been the issue with a Mechanical keyboard (for obvious reasons).

Other than that, it's just much more pleasant to type and play on. My fingertips are most pleased.

If you have the money to spend on the upgrade, I would do it - assuming the durability and build quality of mechanicals is as advertised (mine is not old enough for me to make a judgement regarding that).
R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
Nate.F
Profile Joined April 2011
918 Posts
June 12 2011 08:43 GMT
#18
People have different preferences. Just go to a keyboard store and ask to be able to try out the keyboards before purchasing.

There is no point purchasing a keyboard that everyone else loves and you don't. It's your keyboard, duh.
pshych0
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
274 Posts
June 12 2011 08:51 GMT
#19
Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition Gen2

[image loading]

I'm not sure how you can get it in the US.
shit happens
skp
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada134 Posts
June 12 2011 08:53 GMT
#20
I have a keyboard with cherry browns and another with blacks. For RTS and general typing, go with brown or blues. Since you like quieter keyboards, go for browns.

I know a lot of people use cherry blacks for SC2, and I sometimes use them too when I'm too lazy to swap keyboards. Nothing wrong with it, but browns feel much better.

If you can, see if you can try them out somehow in stores. Although I doubt stores will carry Filcos or Leopolds.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM481
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 481
Reynor 254
ByuN 211
TKL 163
Railgan 75
Codebar 50
BRAT_OK 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 58231
Bisu 2934
Calm 1561
FanTaSy 1016
Stork 815
Rush 426
hero 386
firebathero 185
Snow 124
Sharp 98
[ Show more ]
Free 69
Mind 65
actioN 55
Sea.KH 51
ToSsGirL 38
Trap 38
Pusan 35
Bale 27
Mong 23
Sexy 23
soO 23
Rock 20
Aegong 20
Terrorterran 19
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 11
Sacsri 10
Shine 9
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8808
Dendi1062
Counter-Strike
fl0m5539
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King90
Other Games
singsing2194
Liquid`RaSZi1493
B2W.Neo731
Beastyqt590
olofmeister541
Mlord460
Khaldor384
KnowMe317
Hui .212
crisheroes176
Chillindude63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV271
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV580
League of Legends
• Nemesis3080
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1698
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 30m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 30m
OSC
7h 30m
Replay Cast
7h 30m
OSC
20h 30m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.