• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:18
CEST 20:18
KST 03:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8716 users

[H] HP laptop issues

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
TLurker
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
51 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 01:12:27
May 01 2011 23:11 GMT
#1
I own an hp laptop, zv 5000 series (was new in 2005) that recently froze up and currently when I turn it on the display just shows a dim gray on the screen. So far, the battery is able to charge and the adapter works fine... my guess from my limited knowledge which is essentially based off only what I've read on the web is that either my HDD is broken, or there is a problem with the RAM... initially I figured I had maybe overloaded the videocard(but after reading some things online it seems like that would be a rare cause)

It all started out when I was queue-ing up a bunch of Epicmealtime videos on youtube which I had just found and was really excited to just watch them all, but suddenly the computer just froze, well partially.... I could still move the mouse. Like a complete fool I clicked rapidly and at that point it was completely frozen. Then the display basically just turned off (only showed a dim grayish black on the screen)

I have tried turning it on to see if it would work again, but all I get is this grayish black screen...and I even tried a bunch of other gimmicky sounding things(see spoilers) which I found on the web when looking for a solution to this:


+ Show Spoiler +
"I had the same problem with my HP DV6599. On power on the screen would stay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spin up but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVD drive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the tray but still would not boot. I found an answer on another forum. Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked for me! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you're good to go. Worked for me so definitely worth a try."


+ Show Spoiler +
Remove the main battery and the AC adapter.

Re-seat the ram and the hard drive.
Restore power.
Try it.


The only thing that's semi-useful that I've done is removed all the dust and also opened up my laptop to get a better idea of how to take it apart and where things are/what they look like: I did this by using this site(and also by basically just unscrewing any screws I could find):

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/upgrading-memory-hp-pavilion-zv5000-series-laptops/


I'm really not sure what to do at this point since I don't think it's worth taking to a computer store or geek squad or whatever to fix, both time and money-wise. Has anyone ever experienced this with a laptop or does anyone have any advice to offer? Also, possibly, does anyone familiar with hp laptops and could maybe guess the source of the problem?


P.S. I thought about giving it a couple of love taps, but of course hitting things probably wouldn't solve the laptop issue even if it would make me feel better.


Edit made 5/1 6:21PM: For some reason I didn't include this but I'd also like to say that I'm pretty sure it is either only RAM or HDD issue, and not a power, motherboard, or other issue... and just to be absolutely clear, when I press the power button, the computer reacts and does 'come on'(I can hear it, the display appears to be on/brighter and the power light is also on) with only a grayish black screen. Nothing else happens, no windows xp startup, no bios or anything else, just a grayish black screen on the display.


Edit made 5/1 8:00PM: Okay So I highly doubt this is recommended, but I ended up turning on the computer while it was taken apart and I found out that one of the fans doesn't work, so I'll be looking up how to replace that possibly... I doubt it, but could this be a problem.

Just to reconfirm I turned on the computer where the heat sinks and fans are a wide open the keyboard can be lifted out(but attached by some ribonny wire) and also:
1) I took out the Hard drive,
2) reseated the RAM (I only have one stick located under the keyboard)
3) put the battery back in place
... and when I turned it on I got the same thing: just a grayish black screen

What I am guessing this means is that there is probably no problem with the Hard drive(or what's causing the problem is more than just the hard drive... I am also hopeful that maybe the RAM is "bad" and that getting new RAM will solve the problem.

I have a question for any mods: Would this post be better off in "Tech Support" or is it supposed to be in Blogs? Thanks.


TL;DR My laptop froze and then the display suddenly turned to only a grayish black and nothing else; Every time I turn it on all I get is a grayish-black display... Any suggestions on what the problem is or what I can do? Thanks.

CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
May 02 2011 01:43 GMT
#2
Is your only option for testing different parts buying new ones? For example, if you could boot off of an external hard drive, that would mean you can tell that the problem is your HD. If it was me, I'd be wondering if it's a graphics card issue. After all, it's your display that's going bonkers. I think you'd be better off PMing a mod and asking him to move it to the Tech Support section, because it's clearly not getting a lot of attention here. You also might as well try other internet forums if you haven't already.
Force staff is the best item in the game.
TLurker
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
51 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 04:43:37
May 02 2011 04:43 GMT
#3
To be quite honest, I'm not tech savvy at all so I actually don't know what my options are.

You mentioned that it might be a graphics card issue... do you know if there is any way this can be fixed, or would I have to replace it; also, is there any way I could test for it? Thanks.

I don't have an external hard drive, and I also heard about some method of hooking up the laptop to another monitor to test something(presumably the video card I believe?), but I don't have any monitor/tv screen and I also lack any cables that I would likely need to hook it up.

Yeah, I think I'll try posting it in tech support, but just cleaning up some of the frivolous information... I'm pretty timid to post in other internet forums, it's weird and hard to explain... kind of like when you ask your family about things instead of going straight to "professionals/experts" in the area.

Thanks for your reply though

Edit: fixed a typo/error in grammar
AnxiousHippo
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 08:47:24
May 02 2011 08:46 GMT
#4
I'm not really tech savvy either, but there is a section for Tech Support
An apple a day keeps the Protoss away | TLHF
TLurker
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
51 Posts
May 28 2011 04:49 GMT
#5
Alright so here's what I've done so far:

1) connected laptop to external monitor and all I get is the same blank screen on the laptop (yes there is a signal though)... to me this means that it is probably the graphics card then, but I'm still not completely sure

2) tried booting it using an external hard drive, before doing 1, and no changes happened.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
May 28 2011 08:36 GMT
#6
can you go to the BIOS menu or is that broken aswell? should be like hitting del or f1, f2, f8 f10 or f12 probably.

If that does not work - does it do any beeping sounds when turning on? What's the beeping pattern?
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
TLurker
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
51 Posts
June 06 2011 00:58 GMT
#7
Nice, another reply, thanks MisterD.

No I cannot go to the BIOS menu; I guess I should have mentioned that earlier too. All I get is a dimly lit blank screen.

Nope, no beeping sounds at all, no abnormal sounds.
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 06 2011 19:58 GMT
#8
no beeping and nothing else usually means your motherboard is fried.. at least that's the case for desktop computers, but i'd assume notebooks are not that different. But i'm no expert in notebooks, so don't throw it away on my say-so ;P
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Jaxtyk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States600 Posts
June 06 2011 21:13 GMT
#9
The problem may be a bit different then what my friend had but basically he had the same issue with the dim screen. He took it to the computer shop and they replaced the motherboard and then it turned on and started working again o.o
To tell the truth....I could beat anyone in the world.
tsmitho
Profile Joined April 2011
United States93 Posts
June 06 2011 21:29 GMT
#10
ya its deffinatly NOT your harddrive. It could be your ram but its most likley the motherboard is shot :/ sorry. I'm a computer technician, had a hp the other day that would just go black and dark grey. motherboard was bad so that sounds like it is your problem. there is no way it is your harddrive because if it was atleast your bios would show up. Usually if it was bad ram the computer wouldnt even start either. so it is either your processor or motherboard. either way IMO i would save the money it would cost to get a new mobo and or processor because you are looking at about 100-200 dollars to fix it and for a 6 year old computer you cant really expect it to last too much longer even if you fix the problem. I would just start looking for a new laptop
KomradeKevin
Profile Joined July 2010
United States88 Posts
June 07 2011 00:58 GMT
#11
If it was RAM or Hard drive it would show a failed POST screen instead of nothing. As long as it isn't something silly like a function key that controls screen brightness, I would say it is a fried motherboard or cpu especially if it was running without a fan.
TLurker
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
51 Posts
June 09 2011 02:23 GMT
#12
Thanks for all the replies guys and for confirming the suggestion that it is my motherboard. Luckily I had nothing important on the laptop, though I did use to play sc bw.

MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
June 10 2011 09:53 GMT
#13
your motherboard doesn't store any data btw. You can just pull out the harddisk and plug it into some other computer and all your data will still be there. It's like changing the engine in a car (or more like the steel frame around it) - the "inside" stays perfectly intact and nothing goes lost from there ;P
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 432
UpATreeSC 92
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1079
actioN 432
Dewaltoss 129
firebathero 90
Zeus 64
Trap 46
zelot 26
Sexy 24
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 21
[ Show more ]
JYJ 19
soO 19
Shine 15
NaDa 14
Dota 2
Gorgc7146
qojqva1969
Dendi809
420jenkins151
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1302
Fnx 714
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5079
Liquid`Hasu800
Other Games
Grubby5797
Beastyqt816
B2W.Neo602
ceh9510
summit1g492
byalli356
KnowMe156
ArmadaUGS145
Khaldor145
C9.Mang0134
TKL 110
BRAT_OK 76
Trikslyr53
Railgan13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV263
WardiTV255
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream153
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 34
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• FirePhoenix15
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3635
• TFBlade966
Other Games
• Shiphtur366
• WagamamaTV319
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 43m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 43m
Stellar Fest
18h 43m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.