• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:46
CEST 21:46
KST 04:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10450 users

Screen flickers

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
September 28 2010 16:05 GMT
#1
First is a rant about my bad experience with computers, then a question at the bottom of the post. You might want to skip the rant.

I'm about to give up PCs. Last year I paid $2750 for a Macbook Pro. I had MANY problems with it, and spent a year on phone with Apple to get my money back for it. I also bought an iPhone that didn't find any phone networks. Now I finally got a new iPhone and Macbook and they work well, but then I bought a new gaming PC for $1450 to play StarCraft II.

After waiting for two weeks I finally got it. I plugged it in and started it, saw the motherboard screen, and then...nothing. I opened it up, and found out that the power cable to the hard drive didn't work. I called the shop I bought it from, and they sent me a new power cable. I connected the hard-drive and started up the computer, this time nothing would stop me. Nothing, except the wireless network card. I had to spend 5 hours to get it to work, because it seems like D-link don't care about this model too much, so I had to manually install drivers. After FINALLY getting it to work, I waited the 10 hours for StarCraft II to download. When I started playing I noticed that the screen is flickering a little. It's like small "waves" are floating down the screen. I thought that it might be because of my 4 year old screen, so I bought a new. After connecting it, I found out I had the same problem.

Does anyone know why my screen has these "waves" and flickering? My graphics card is a Radeon 5770, and my screen is a Benq 21.5". I get them everywhere, not only in SC2, and they are especially easy to spot when the screen is dark.
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
September 28 2010 17:55 GMT
#2
Anyone? I'm desperate
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
ilbh
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Brazil1606 Posts
September 28 2010 18:02 GMT
#3
have you installed the video card drivers?
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
Lyzon
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United Kingdom440 Posts
September 28 2010 18:13 GMT
#4
just a thought but maybe you have uneven electrical flow in your house? Try using a surge protector or UPS... ur electricity supply may be fucking up your equiptment
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
September 28 2010 18:20 GMT
#5
I have the video card drivers, yes. I have also tried changing hz, but didn't work.
I don't know about uneven electrical flow. What is a surge protector and UPS?
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
September 28 2010 22:27 GMT
#6
I will try with a surge protector tomorrow.
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
NihiLStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Denmark1413 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 02:16:21
September 29 2010 02:11 GMT
#7
Look up VSync and how to enable it with your video card. It's a feature that caps your framerate at your monitor refresh rate. Say you have a 60Hz LED monitor - that means it can't refresh its screen more than 60 times a second. Now, when the game runs at a higher frame-rate, that can lead to tearing in the screen (looking like lines, breaks or waves). So with VSync enabled it will not allow the game to run faster than 60 fps eliminating the problem.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_synchronization makes it look as if what I described is not so much an issue with LED screens (which I assume your BENQ monitor is one). Give it a try though.

EDIT2: Just realized you said it occurs even outside SC2. If you run Vista with Aero, it might still be a VSync related issue but now I have to agree, it's actually more likely to be your power supply. Especially if you really got full-blown flickering.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
September 29 2010 22:35 GMT
#8
I turned on vsync through the catalyst center or something like that, but I still get it, especially while playing. I also have vsync on on SCII, so I don't understand how come I get it. Checked the frequencies, and I use a surge protector now. Still flickering/waves.
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
stOEx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia18 Posts
September 29 2010 22:52 GMT
#9
What screen are you using? What cable do you connect your monitor with?
Flickering waves on a monitor is almost always some interference from another device nearby. Is your monitor close to your wireless router/mobile/stereo ? Try using the PC in a different place just to see if that makes a difference.
Starcraft II brought me back to the PC.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
October 01 2010 21:24 GMT
#10
I'm using a Benq T2210HD. I've tried several screens and several monitors. I tried removing my speakers, but didn't work. I also tried using the pc in a different place, didn't work :/
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
UisTehSux
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States693 Posts
October 01 2010 22:09 GMT
#11
It sounds like the motherboard isn't up to date to me. Are you sure the BIOS has been updated to the most recent version?
I underestimated that boy. No... it was not the boy I underestimated, it was the Triforce of Courage.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-01 23:43:20
October 01 2010 23:31 GMT
#12
I downloaded it, but what do I do with this .rom file?
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 602
ProTech146
UpATreeSC 124
Nina 71
JuggernautJason55
MindelVK 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28837
Calm 2655
Mini 150
Dewaltoss 126
firebathero 116
soO 51
Bale 27
NaDa 26
HiyA 26
PianO 16
[ Show more ]
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc6914
XaKoH 368
monkeys_forever24
canceldota22
League of Legends
Doublelift1268
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1573
fl0m1483
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu831
Other Games
FrodaN2080
Beastyqt676
B2W.Neo463
mouzStarbuck382
Livibee179
KnowMe141
C9.Mang0139
ToD133
Trikslyr126
RotterdaM105
Mew2King48
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 45
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1067
• Shiphtur748
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 29m
Replay Cast
3h 14m
OSC
1d 3h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 14h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.