• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:17
CEST 13:17
KST 20:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7474 users

#6: Zest - Greatest Players of All Time - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
234 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
kaos00
Profile Joined September 2010
United States138 Posts
January 27 2024 00:25 GMT
#21
MVP being below Rain is a little dubious but not too dramatic. MVP could be anywhere from #6 to #12. I feel like Zest could be lower than #6 but I think he gets a bump for being the GOAT Protoss and I guess this list is really valuing Zest's staying power.
RPR_Tempest
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Australia7799 Posts
January 27 2024 00:45 GMT
#22
On January 27 2024 09:14 Balnazza wrote:
I'm still not buying into the hype that Mvp is even on this list. Being dominant when the game was new is just not that big of a feat. Sorry for yet again making the side-step to WC3, but I don't feel like DayFly or Madfrog ever were seriously in a Top 10 discussion of all time, considering how fast they dropped out compared to...well, everyone else.

Zest being the best Protoss seems about right. Him not being Top 5 also seems right.

Why would Rain be on the list if Mvp isn't? Mvp's case is just Rain's case but better in every way lol
Soundwave, Zerg player from Canberra, Australia. @SoundwaveSC
luxon
Profile Joined August 2012
United States117 Posts
January 27 2024 01:30 GMT
#23
if the remaining top 5 isnt life rogue maru serral mvp/inno then this list cant be taken too seriously
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-01-27 01:32:11
January 27 2024 01:31 GMT
#24
On January 27 2024 10:30 luxon wrote:
if the remaining top 5 isnt life rogue maru serral mvp/inno then this list cant be taken too seriously

Life is not going to be on this list for very obvious reasons. Though he would qualify in counter factual universe where he gambles less.
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
Kitai
Profile Joined June 2012
United States886 Posts
January 27 2024 02:07 GMT
#25
Maru Serral INno and Rogue are almost certainly guaranteed at this point. Would not be surprised if Dark took the last spot over MVP. Also, MVP was not dominant for 2-3 years like someone said earlier, it was more like a year and a half. His last big win was a 4-3 over Squirtle in the GSL finals, which is also kinda funny since that series is so famous for the game Squirtle won. After that he fell on his face hard for 2 years when the Kespa invasion happened and then he retired.

I'm not gonna be upset if MVP gets the nod, but I certainly won't be rioting in the TL streets if he doesn't!
"You know, I don't care if soO got 100 second places in a row. Anyone who doesn't think that he's going to win blizzcon watching this series is a fool" - Artosis, Blizzcon 2014 soO vs TaeJa
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-01-27 02:42:01
January 27 2024 02:35 GMT
#26
There's little to say against him being the GOAT Protoss. His 2014 run was up there with Mvp's 2011, INno's 2017, and Serral's 2018 in one of the best years any player has had. If any writers decide to do a 'highest peaks' series, he would certainly be on it.

He's also the best PvP player to ever touch the game. Is his PvP the best match up of any player?

He is, unfortunately, inconsistent so I can see why he ended up lower than INno and Mvp. And he does have a couple grim losses that hold him back from being on the highest tier (2014 Blizzcon, GSL finals vs Cure), and he has the worst cannon rush of all time

But personally I think after 8 years of winning, he outshined at least Mvp's triumphant couple of years. Not to mention he had a similarly dominant run in a much harder era against Kespa players
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1363 Posts
January 27 2024 03:03 GMT
#27
On January 27 2024 09:45 RPR_Tempest wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2024 09:14 Balnazza wrote:
I'm still not buying into the hype that Mvp is even on this list. Being dominant when the game was new is just not that big of a feat. Sorry for yet again making the side-step to WC3, but I don't feel like DayFly or Madfrog ever were seriously in a Top 10 discussion of all time, considering how fast they dropped out compared to...well, everyone else.

Zest being the best Protoss seems about right. Him not being Top 5 also seems right.

Why would Rain be on the list if Mvp isn't? Mvp's case is just Rain's case but better in every way lol


That's a question you could ask Mizenhauer. I wouldn't have been mad if he was tenth, but Top 5 of all time? No way in hell. His last non-qualifier or showmatch series was a 2-3 vs. MorroW...
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
yht9657
Profile Joined December 2016
1810 Posts
January 27 2024 03:10 GMT
#28
and is tied with Rogue, sOs, Serral, and Dark for the second most world championship final appearances at three

Stats may not have done enough to deserve top 10 goat but stripping him of a world championship final is kinda disrespecting.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
January 27 2024 03:11 GMT
#29
Miz, I gotta know, are your final 5 picks set in stone already or are you still changing them as you listen to arguments?
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
jy_9876543210
Profile Joined March 2016
265 Posts
January 27 2024 03:45 GMT
#30
I think the biggest question is, will Rogue be on the list at all? He's the patch zerg after all. Now that he's reminded, maybe suddenly there's room for another player
Phase 1: F2    Phase 2: A   Phase 3: Profit!
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
January 27 2024 03:54 GMT
#31
I can't see any players other than... Innovation, Serral, Maru, Rogue, and Dark being top 5. Initially I had MVP in there too, but this list is much more about longevity than "Peak". Mvp may have been the best in 2011-2012, but he was pretty much washed up by the end of 2013.

But I do agree, I can't see why Mvp would be absent but Rain on the list. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Rain shouldn't be there.
argonautdice
Profile Joined January 2013
Canada2722 Posts
January 27 2024 04:28 GMT
#32
On January 27 2024 12:54 Blargh wrote:
I can't see any players other than... Innovation, Serral, Maru, Rogue, and Dark being top 5. Initially I had MVP in there too, but this list is much more about longevity than "Peak". Mvp may have been the best in 2011-2012, but he was pretty much washed up by the end of 2013.

But I do agree, I can't see why Mvp would be absent but Rain on the list. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Rain shouldn't be there.

I wonder if Rain doing well in BW after he retired from SC2 played a role in that.
very illegal and very uncool
fastr
Profile Joined February 2011
France902 Posts
January 27 2024 04:31 GMT
#33
On January 27 2024 12:54 Blargh wrote:
I can't see any players other than... Innovation, Serral, Maru, Rogue, and Dark being top 5. Initially I had MVP in there too, but this list is much more about longevity than "Peak". Mvp may have been the best in 2011-2012, but he was pretty much washed up by the end of 2013.

But I do agree, I can't see why Mvp would be absent but Rain on the list. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Rain shouldn't be there.


I agree. I think anyone who still expects Mvp to show up in this list is either deluded or seeing the past with rose-tinted glasses. I was the biggest Mvp stan back then, and I still think his GSL finals win vs Squirtle was the hypest SC2 moment of all time. Yet if we look at objective results which this list does, if Mvp was to show up, he would have been top 8 at best IMO. Mvp is the undisputed King of Wings, but he has no business being in a top 10 GOAT list of a nearly 14 year old game when WoL was only around for 2 and a half years. That is less than 20% of the game's total existence.

I agree that the top 5 should indisputably be Rogue Serral Maru INno Dark. While pretty much everyone agrees on the first 4, I think Dark doesn't get the respect he deserves here. Dark has been a top 3 world zerg for like 9 years and he's still a world champion contender.

I personally had Stats at #7 and Zest at #6 so now I'm guessing Stats won't show up. I think it would be especially puzzling to see Rain in this list without Stats, but that's the only disagreement I have on an otherwise excellent top 10 list by TL's writers.
Pandain
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States12989 Posts
January 27 2024 04:42 GMT
#34
I am loving these Dark over Mvp takes - spicy!
Crocolisk Dundee
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
870 Posts
January 27 2024 04:54 GMT
#35
Rogue Serral Maru INnoVatioN Dark should be the top 5.
Stopped watching ESL content in 2022 when the company was acquired by Savvy Gaming Group. Also object to sponsorships by the U.S. Air Force. Thanks for the lively discussions about sportswashing. StarCraft II is not for me anymore.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-01-27 05:14:18
January 27 2024 05:11 GMT
#36
On January 27 2024 12:54 Blargh wrote:
I can't see any players other than... Innovation, Serral, Maru, Rogue, and Dark being top 5. Initially I had MVP in there too, but this list is much more about longevity than "Peak". Mvp may have been the best in 2011-2012, but he was pretty much washed up by the end of 2013.

But I do agree, I can't see why Mvp would be absent but Rain on the list. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Rain shouldn't be there.


Agreed. Sounds like MVP is out, but how is Rain above MVP?

And i say this as someone who's always been against MVP being ranked so highly on others' lists, reminding others that he didn't win 4 GSL's but just 3 GSLs and the 4th GSL was a GSL vs the World style tourny with much less money, and with only a Ro16 that was half filled with foreigners who were non-competitive in that era.

Heck, even TY above MVP is an interesting take.

Also, if longetivity is going to be valued highly on this list, then why Rain over Stats? Stats has a very close achievements list to Zest. Zest has 1 WC win, and 2 WC 2nd places. Stats has 3 WC 2nd places, it's not a huuge difference there, 3 is still very impressive especially considering how Soo's 2nd places are valued enough to put him at 8th. And Stats has a few wins at GSL tourneys / Starleagues similar to Zest, as well as several 2nd or top 4 places at GSL tourneys / Starleagues. Main difference to me is Zest getting that late-career GSL Super win, and actually getting a WCS win where Stats didn't.

I don't get how Soo is above Stats as well as MVP. Stats has a few wins as well as 2 WC 2nd places, considering this list's criteria said that WC is generally valued only a little more than a GSL/Starleague.

That said, anyone below Zest is pretty contentious and it's interesting to see where people place sOs/sOO/MVP/TY/Stats/Taeja/etc.

It'll be interesting if Dark might even be placed above Inno considering Dark is still going strong into 2024, years after Inno started to fall off.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
January 27 2024 07:38 GMT
#37
If anyone is curious, here are the top earnings for SC2 players: (Wiki)Winnings
1 Serral $1,317,671
2 Maru $1,215,993
3 Rogue $1,059,971
4 Dark $1,044,351
5 INnoVation $811,251

Reynor is 6th at ~750k. While earnings aren't a great way of measuring goatness (pre LotV EU/NA were basically welfare bucks compared to the Korean field), I think it's pretty clear that all 5 of those players are legends and didn't just have a dominant year or two. They've pretty much all been top players for as long as they've been active. Mvp on the other hand is all the way down at 25th at $415k. Basically half of the rest of these. Of course, then Rain is just at $216k!!! Interestingly, if you look at the top 10 earnings, it will likely encompass all of Miz's list with the exception of Reynor being swapped with Rain!
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
January 27 2024 07:58 GMT
#38
On January 27 2024 14:11 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2024 12:54 Blargh wrote:
I can't see any players other than... Innovation, Serral, Maru, Rogue, and Dark being top 5. Initially I had MVP in there too, but this list is much more about longevity than "Peak". Mvp may have been the best in 2011-2012, but he was pretty much washed up by the end of 2013.

But I do agree, I can't see why Mvp would be absent but Rain on the list. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Rain shouldn't be there.


Agreed. Sounds like MVP is out, but how is Rain above MVP?

And i say this as someone who's always been against MVP being ranked so highly on others' lists, reminding others that he didn't win 4 GSL's but just 3 GSLs and the 4th GSL was a GSL vs the World style tourny with much less money, and with only a Ro16 that was half filled with foreigners who were non-competitive in that era.

Heck, even TY above MVP is an interesting take.

Also, if longetivity is going to be valued highly on this list, then why Rain over Stats? Stats has a very close achievements list to Zest. Zest has 1 WC win, and 2 WC 2nd places. Stats has 3 WC 2nd places, it's not a huuge difference there, 3 is still very impressive especially considering how Soo's 2nd places are valued enough to put him at 8th. And Stats has a few wins at GSL tourneys / Starleagues similar to Zest, as well as several 2nd or top 4 places at GSL tourneys / Starleagues. Main difference to me is Zest getting that late-career GSL Super win, and actually getting a WCS win where Stats didn't.

I don't get how Soo is above Stats as well as MVP. Stats has a few wins as well as 2 WC 2nd places, considering this list's criteria said that WC is generally valued only a little more than a GSL/Starleague.

That said, anyone below Zest is pretty contentious and it's interesting to see where people place sOs/sOO/MVP/TY/Stats/Taeja/etc.

It'll be interesting if Dark might even be placed above Inno considering Dark is still going strong into 2024, years after Inno started to fall off.

I find it hard to make such lists given I do rate innovation and influence quite highly, longevity a little less. A top 15/20 is pretty easy but what order they appear in is quite tricky!

It feels to me you either have both Mvp and Rain, or neither, depending on one’s criteria. If a shorter but glorious peak of smacking nerds around is one, then I think you can put them both in no worries, but if a longer stretch is prioritised it’s harder to make a case that they keep a Dark or a Stats out
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33702 Posts
January 27 2024 08:13 GMT
#39
On January 27 2024 12:10 yht9657 wrote:
Show nested quote +
and is tied with Rogue, sOs, Serral, and Dark for the second most world championship final appearances at three

Stats may not have done enough to deserve top 10 goat but stripping him of a world championship final is kinda disrespecting.


ah whoops, caught an error, thanks!
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
darklycid
Profile Joined May 2014
3562 Posts
January 27 2024 09:20 GMT
#40
On January 27 2024 16:38 Blargh wrote:
If anyone is curious, here are the top earnings for SC2 players: (Wiki)Winnings
1 Serral $1,317,671
2 Maru $1,215,993
3 Rogue $1,059,971
4 Dark $1,044,351
5 INnoVation $811,251

Reynor is 6th at ~750k. While earnings aren't a great way of measuring goatness (pre LotV EU/NA were basically welfare bucks compared to the Korean field), I think it's pretty clear that all 5 of those players are legends and didn't just have a dominant year or two. They've pretty much all been top players for as long as they've been active. Mvp on the other hand is all the way down at 25th at $415k. Basically half of the rest of these. Of course, then Rain is just at $216k!!! Interestingly, if you look at the top 10 earnings, it will likely encompass all of Miz's list with the exception of Reynor being swapped with Rain!

Earnings favor later peaks way more as there is more price Money in the big Events than in the First 5 years.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 525
WardiTV210
Rex99
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 17049
StarCastTV_EN406
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko347
mouzHeroMarine 321
ProTech122
Rex 99
OGKoka 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 11601
EffOrt 5582
BeSt 1744
ZerO 1141
Horang2 1021
Larva 851
Hyuk 849
Hyun 276
Zeus 267
Stork 213
[ Show more ]
Light 206
Killer 192
Barracks 123
Rush 86
Mini 83
Yoon 61
ggaemo 48
ToSsGirL 41
Shinee 35
Bale 32
Terrorterran 25
Sacsri 21
PianO 20
Mong 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
sorry 10
HiyA 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Dendi920
League of Legends
KnowMe38
Counter-Strike
byalli857
x6flipin151
Other Games
singsing1948
olofmeister1542
XaKoH 415
crisheroes278
Sick198
Pyrionflax157
ArmadaUGS57
Mew2King52
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream475
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 227
lovetv 7
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH308
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1856
Other Games
• WagamamaTV196
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.