• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:03
CEST 12:03
KST 19:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8095 users

INnoVation interview @IEM: It's everything you expected

Forum Index > SC2 General
91 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33704 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-08 02:46:16
December 17 2016 16:14 GMT
#1
A conversation with (T)INnoVation is like talking to an amazing deadpan comedian, if the setup continued forever with no actual punchline. I hope you enjoy this interview with one of StarCraft II's all time great players just as much as I enjoyed conducting it.

*This interview has been edited and rearranged for clarity.
**This interview was conducted between the semifinals and grand finals of IEM Gyeonggi.


[image loading]
Photo: Patrick Strack/IEM


Waxangel: What have you been up to? It’s been a while since you were in a major tournament.

INnoVation: There weren’t many big tournaments, but there were some online tournaments to play in, and I did some streaming. Doing that, time passed pretty easily.

Have you gone over the WCS 2017 plan in detail?

I haven’t read it carefully.

It’s not of much interest to you?

Well… I don’t have a personal opinion on it.

Is it because you’re such a great player, and you’re confident that you’ll make it far anyway?

It’s not quite like that. I just heard that the number of games won’t be small, and BlizzCon is my goal anyway. I don’t really know; I don’t have any opinions on it.

Toward the end of the 2016 season, thinking about your career going forward, you didn’t consider next year’s plan?

No, I just thought that with my skill, it would have been a shame if I retired, so I decided to continue on.

Looking back at your 2016 season, how do you rate it?

I was pretty bad in ‘16. I didn’t achieve much; I just consider it a year taken off.

Were your results bad compared to your skill level, or did you perform about as well as you practiced?

I didn’t practice much, I goofed off some, so I didn’t get good results.

Why didn’t you practice hard?

I played a lot of LoL, I fell deep into LoL, so I slacked off on StarCraft II practice.

Did you start playing LoL for the first time this year?

A new LoL season just started, yeah? The season before that, that was the first season I played.

So you got hooked because you were playing it for the first time?

Yeah.

Don’t KeSPA teams regulate that kind of thing well? I heard that early on, there was even a blanket ban on LoL.

There’s some of that, but it’s something I played after practice hours. The team doesn’t interfere that far.

So all the players who are working hard, they keep practicing StarCraft even after practice hours?

There are players like that, but some try to rest and regulate their condition. But playing LoL, it was hard to maintain my condition and focus on just StarCraft.

Is there anyone who plays well while playing other games as well?

Maybe there could be, but I think most people slump.

When was the time you practiced the hardest?

When I was a practice partner/trainee during StarCraft: Brood War, that’s when I worked the hardest.

What about StarCraft II? What about during 2012-2013, which is considered your prime by a lot of people.

I did practice hard during that time, but I practiced harder when I was a trainee. You have to fight your way up, so I worked very hard.

As long as we’re talking about Brood War… The pro scene for BW ended pretty abruptly. You had a promising career at the time. If the scene kept going, do you think you could have risen to a higher level?

If it kept going… I think I would have done well. I had some talent, and always did consistently well inside the team. I think I would have done well.

A lot of players are looking for foreign teams right now. You said you haven’t received any contact.

I haven’t received any contact, and I haven’t reached out either.

Why aren’t you looking?

I think even if I look, there aren’t any teams to join. There’s a region lock, so even if you join a foreign team, you can’t compete in foreign tournaments.

What about players like Solar, who got signed to a big foreign team? Does that make you think there might be an opportunity?

That’s true, but there are a lot of things you have to do if you join a foreign team. Also my memories from Acer aren’t all great. I haven’t given foreign teams much thought.

What was tough about being on a foreign team? When you were on Acer, they wanted you to go to a lot of foreign tournaments.

I don’t really like going to foreign tournaments, I don’t think they fit me. I didn’t actually have to go to many tournaments when I was on Acer. I’m just really bad at English, and I think those things… I felt like I was a burden to the team, being bad at English. From the team’s perspective, I think it was difficult to use me as a player. Personally, I’ve always felt a bit sorry toward Acer.

Still, you got good results on Acer, didn’t you?

I think I was pretty bad on Acer.

By your high standards?

No, no matter who looks at it.

So, have you worked LoL out of your system?

Yes, I’m not playing any other games right now. I played enough LoL to get tired of it.

Well, you could look at it as a good break, I guess…

No, I don’t think it was a good break. I just threw a year away.

Still, if you’re always working so hard, maybe it’s good to rest and recharge…

If you rest, you just want to rest more. I don’t think people think “that was a good break,” you just want to take even more time off. I think it’s just better to work hard.

When would you say you came to your senses, then?

I went to BlizzCon to play special event matches. Watching players win championships and all, it made me wake up a bit.

You’re still confident in your skill, right?

I’m confident right now, yes.

If you keep at it, you’ll be able to become the best again?

Right now, if I keep practicing, I think I can be better than other players. I’m confident.

What do you think of the players who have come up in the meanwhile? What about ByuN, the new #1 Terran?

I think he’s good.

Just good?

Well, he works really hard. He’s good.

What are your thoughts headed into the finals of IEM?

Vs Protoss is a bit tough, personally, and Stats is good as well. I’m not overflowing with confidence.

You were once a really overwhelmingly strong player. Do you think you’ll be able to reach that level again?

At the time, Terran was pretty favored in terms of balance. If the balance favors Terran again, I can reach that level. But right now it’s not good for Terran, so I think doing this well right now is already good.

Was Terran really that good back then? Pros never admit their race is good.

At that time, Hellbats were quite good, and Terran was the best.

So you’re the one objective progamer when it comes to rating balance.

I think Zergs in particular whine a lot. Everyone else seems fine.

Do you pay attention to the foreign community?

I’m streaming regularly on twitch, and a lot of foreign fans watch me. So I’m thankful for that.

How does that attention from the foreign community reach a Korean pro? How do you experience it, considering the language barrier?

I think foreign fans like me more than Korean fans, and I’m thankful. When I go to a foreign tournament, or stream on Twitch, there are a lot of fans who come to watch. If I was good at English, I’d really like to communicate with the fans.

But you don’t even communicate that much in Korean.

No, but I’m just so bad at English.

You have the image of being a robotic, stoic player among foreign fans. What do you think about that?

I don’t think it’s incorrect.

Do you like it?

I can’t say I do.

Shouldn’t you change something then?

Even when I try to change, I can’t.

Wouldn’t it be fun to just embrace that then?

Hmm, well I don’t really care about my image that much. It’s not like I dislike it. But I don’t think being called a machine is positive.

Alright, any final word for the foreign fans?

Thanks for appreciating the little things I do, even though I’m bad at communication. I’m really thankful that people like me so much, and I want to play great for everyone in foreign tournaments.


Make sure to check out INnoVation's stream on Twitch.TV.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Liquid`Snute
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Norway839 Posts
December 17 2016 16:18 GMT
#2
hahaha :D so good
Team Liquid
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-17 16:21:38
December 17 2016 16:21 GMT
#3
Oh god the machine knows it is a machine.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
December 17 2016 16:21 GMT
#4
He's self-aware!
olimoley
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States742 Posts
December 17 2016 16:22 GMT
#5
Yep, thats pretty much how I expected an interview with him to go
Events Manager, Team Liquid - Creator of OlimoLeague
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
December 17 2016 16:25 GMT
#6
This interview is pure genius.
Gotta love him even more.
Zest fanboy.
Major
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Mexico539 Posts
December 17 2016 16:26 GMT
#7
haha this was great read
Progamer
Ingebrigtsen
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway343 Posts
December 17 2016 16:28 GMT
#8
Another great ruined by League of Legends, such a shame
"These animals should be rewarded for not being people... I hate people"
EJK
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States1302 Posts
December 17 2016 16:29 GMT
#9
at least i'm not the only person calling innovation bad at times
Sc2 Terran Coach, top 16GM NA - interested in coaching? Message me on teamliquid!
Ansibled
Profile Joined November 2014
United Kingdom9872 Posts
December 17 2016 16:30 GMT
#10
'Hellbats were quite good'
'StarCraft is just a fairy tale told to scare children actually.'
TL+ Member
Nepou
Profile Joined June 2013
France27 Posts
December 17 2016 16:32 GMT
#11
Great interview ! Zerg a whiners according to INnoVation, who would have guessed.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 17 2016 16:32 GMT
#12
This is 20/10.
Moderator
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
December 17 2016 16:34 GMT
#13
"He's good" is ByuN crushed or elated?
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
verecunda
Profile Joined July 2015
Korea (South)121 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-17 16:45:06
December 17 2016 16:34 GMT
#14
OMG great read ROFL. This guy is so weird, in the best way possible.

btw, is this the last of the IEM interviews? I would enjoy reading a ByuL interview.
IArako
Profile Joined June 2015
Germany195 Posts
December 17 2016 16:34 GMT
#15
Nice Interview hope we will see him a lot
Special Tactics
wizmer
Profile Joined July 2012
France32 Posts
December 17 2016 16:39 GMT
#16
Ahahah. I think he is Turing-complete.
Ppjack
Profile Joined March 2015
Belgium489 Posts
December 17 2016 16:39 GMT
#17
"I don’t think it’s incorrect."

haha awesome !
<;o)
Durnuu
Profile Joined September 2013
13326 Posts
December 17 2016 16:42 GMT
#18
Rofl this was so good
BUNNYYYYYYYYY https://i.imgur.com/BiCF577.png
Kaizor
Profile Joined May 2015
Singapore910 Posts
December 17 2016 16:46 GMT
#19
We need a Byun interview to follow that up !!
Hit me up if you need chinese translations. soO fighting !!
djack0666
Profile Joined March 2011
Belarus219 Posts
December 17 2016 16:48 GMT
#20
LoL, Inno!
What a Baller
"... of wolf and man!"
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19024
firebathero 2223
Bisu 683
Hyuk 465
Horang2 220
BeSt 205
EffOrt 114
Sexy 111
Larva 109
Leta 108
[ Show more ]
Soma 94
Killer 84
Light 81
Dewaltoss 80
ZerO 55
ToSsGirL 49
soO 43
Rush 36
Pusan 35
Sharp 32
Shinee 25
Aegong 23
Bale 21
NaDa 21
Sacsri 20
Hm[arnc] 16
sorry 14
JulyZerg 11
Barracks 7
Noble 5
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
Fuzer 168
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss972
byalli705
kRYSTAL_47
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
crisheroes716
Other Games
gofns29777
singsing1676
olofmeister1031
ceh9681
Mew2King98
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2373
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 57m
OSC
11h 57m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 57m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.