• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:17
CEST 15:17
KST 22:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9277 users

Up Close & Personal: Smix, Polt, Bomber and Apollo

Forum Index > SC2 General
63 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
November 18 2014 13:38 GMT
#1
  • .Intro
    Up Close & Personal With Smix, Polt, Bomber, Apollo
  • .Interview
    Interview
  • .Smix
    Smix
  • .Polt
    Polt
  • .Bomber
    Bomber
  • .Apollo
    Apollo
  • .Meru
    Meru
.1
Up Close & Personal: Smix, Polt, Bomber and Apollo

It's time for another round of Up Close & Personal with Meru, this time from the grandest event of the year.

BlizzCon 2014 brought together not only the best players of the year, it also drew many of our most beloved personalities. Smix has become a staple of Dreamhack and many other tournaments due to her insightful bilingual interviews, but she has been the subject of interviews far too infrequently. Polt and Bomber, two of WCS AM's most decorated Koreans, also share something about themselves. Finally, Apollo returns as it appears he just likes talking to Meru.

Watch what they have to say, and stay tuned for Episode 3 of Up Close & Personal!


.2
Interview




Transcription:


So, first question. Why is your name Smix/Polt/Bomber? Where'd it come from?


Smix: My name is "Smix" because I was a big fan of my older brother's gaming, I guess growing up and his gaming handle was "faenix", or "fenix" rather. It actually came from the character Fenix from Starcraft 1. And he shortened that to "Nix" later on. And my name is Sue Min Lee and if you shorten that it becomes "smile" just like if you take letters out. Then if you combine "smile" and "nix" is... "Smix". It's super complicated but... *shrug*


Polt: When I was really young I played Japanese RPG game and there's one of the characters whose name was Polt. I like that character so I named me Polt.


Bomber: It comes from my aggressive style.


If you had to pick 3 progamers to help you in a fight who would you pick?


Smix: MC for the intimidation factor. Polt because he's very very smart and rational and logical and I feel like he would try to find the most... strategic. Yeah yeah like he'd get us out of the situation hopefully. And Maddelisk! Because she's actually really freaking strong. I think she's actually stronger than most if not all progamers I know. Have you seen her instagram?!


Yeah she works out like crazy!


Smix: Yeah yeah I would pick Maddelisk.


Polt: MC. Then iNcontroL. And me.


Bomber: Nobody.


Nobody?!


Bomber: Yeah.


You'll fight everybody?


Bomber: Yeah


What's something bad or embarrassing that you've done but you were never caught?


Smix: Oh my god I have too many embarrassing stories but they're all embarrassing because I got caught. I remember when I was 5 or something I had a crush on this guy in my class, and of course back then the way you show you like someone is by being mean to them. And so I was running around the classroom chasing him and teasing him about something, and in the middle of chasing him I burped very loudly. It just came out of my body. And it was extremely loud, so loud that he turned around and was like "Was that you?" And I was like *hand gesture* and that was the first very embarrassing memory I have.


Well you got his attention.


Smix: I did but it didn't go anywhere. He just, it stopped at "You're gross."


Polt: I don't have any kind of that thing because I think I make some embarrassing things but it always get caught so *laughs*


Who would you pick as your wingman or wingwoman?


Apollo: Jaedong. Definitely Jaedong. He's handsome. He's famous. He's gonna attract all the women. He's a little bit shy so I'd have Jaedong but... you can have A wingman but it's kinda good to have two people, but I think three people's best. Four is too much. So Jaedong definitely. I'm gonna need a guy with confidence and funny too. Because Jaedong is "I'm kinda funny" but Jaedong is the "I'm the famous and handsome guy". So Jaedong and maybe Tasteless. Tasteless and Jaedong.


You're not afraid that they're gonna get the girls away from you instead and distract them?


Apollo: No way I can fight my own fight there.


Do you have any skills or talents outside of Stacraft?


Smix: So a lot of people don't know this because it just never gets brought up but my first, I guess, big love in life was volleyball. I'm horrible at it now just because like all things my skills deteriorated when I stopped playing. But in high school I was volleyball captain. I played volleyball in the summer with different club programs and I played outside hitter. If anyone knows what that is. So that was my first passion in life. I was very very much into it.


Polt: Not at all I'm really bad at other things. Maybe I'm kind of good at studying.


Bomber: Soccer. And soccer soccer.


Apollo: I play a lot of pool or snooker. I quite enjoy that game. When I'm not playing Starcraft I might go for a couple of drinks and play this game quite a bit. I've been learning how to play kicker or foozeball as you guys call it. It's called kicker in German. Hmm.. what other talents? I dunno I'm not a very talented person. I just kinda do Starcraft stuff.


Out of the Round of 16 players, who's most likely to become president?


Smix: Polt.


Apollo: Polt.


Polt: Well if you ask this question like to all the other 15 players besides me, they are going to answer Polt. So I'm going to say: "Polt".


Bomber: Of course it is MC.


Who's most likely to be evil dictator?


Polt: Evil dictator? Hmm... I think Taeja.


Smix: MC because I don't think he gives a crap about anyone's opinions. So if he got to that position of authority he would just implement laws and rules that would help serve his happiness. Emperor MC. Actually I think in that country they'd have really good food so maybe I wouldn't mind so much.


Apollo: StarDust.


Bomber: It also MC.


Lastly, could you do a unit impression? You can act it out or sound it out.


Smix: This is exciiiiting~! Okay okay I dunno how the overlord sounds now in Starcraft 2—this is so embarrassing—but in Starcraft 1 they used to sound like this: *makes weird gargling noises*


Polt: *laughs* Kaboom baby!


Bomber: I know one sound for Starcraft 1. "You want piece of me boy?"


Apollo: I'm going to do this really simple because I'm terrible at this. I'm gonna be a marine. *trembles.. or something?*


Editor's note: I think Apollo was firing a gauss rifle?

TeamLiquid ESPORTS
Writers: lichter.
Photos: Meru.
Interviews: Meru.
Editors: lichter.
Graphics: Meru.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
royalroadweed
Profile Joined April 2013
United States8301 Posts
November 18 2014 13:43 GMT
#2
"Bomber: Nobody.


Nobody?!


Bomber: Yeah.


You'll fight everybody?


Bomber: Yeah"

Boss.
"Nerfing Toss can just make them stronger"
mdamda
Profile Joined November 2011
63 Posts
November 18 2014 13:43 GMT
#3
Polt: *laughs* Kaboom baby!


Nothing less from the Marauder.

I found this funny haha.
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
November 18 2014 13:43 GMT
#4
Yay for the transcription ! Thank you for that
And lol at Bomber fighting anybody. That's just Bomber in a nutshell
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
hellokitty[hk]
Profile Joined June 2009
United States1309 Posts
November 18 2014 13:46 GMT
#5
Polt for president POLTUUU
People are imbeciles, lucky thing god made cats.
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
November 18 2014 13:49 GMT
#6
lol this is good shit.

Bomber has great answers

sorry Apollo you don't stand a chance if Jaedong and Tasteless are there.
Zerg for Life
kc2siq
Profile Joined April 2012
United States319 Posts
November 18 2014 14:10 GMT
#7
Anyone know what rpg Polt is referring to that his name came from?

Google search got nothing.
Byun, best player in the world!
StaN.de
Profile Joined January 2012
Germany50 Posts
November 18 2014 14:19 GMT
#8
Good work
BoYoB
Profile Joined March 2011
France83 Posts
November 18 2014 14:28 GMT
#9
Isn't Apollo gay and therefore he doesn't care if JD and Tasteless take all the grills ?
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
November 18 2014 14:28 GMT
#10
This is amazing
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
November 18 2014 14:31 GMT
#11
That was highly entertaining. Thanks for the transcript.
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
November 18 2014 14:32 GMT
#12
outside hitter? nice! how tall is smix?
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
shiroiusagi
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
SoCal, USA3955 Posts
November 18 2014 14:33 GMT
#13
I love these. XD
Graphics@shiroiusagi_ | shiroiusagi.net
insitelol
Profile Joined August 2012
845 Posts
November 18 2014 14:42 GMT
#14
Really nice and entertaining!
Less is more.
Flonomenalz
Profile Joined May 2011
Nigeria3519 Posts
November 18 2014 14:45 GMT
#15
Smixuuuu <3

Also, lol @ Bomber "I'll fight everybody."
I love crazymoving
jarod
Profile Joined September 2010
Romania766 Posts
November 18 2014 14:49 GMT
#16
apollo JD and tasteless.. would like to see that combo.
nice interview, congratz
Maru | Life | herO
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
November 18 2014 14:50 GMT
#17
smix needs to take overlord impression lessons from day9
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Jenia6109
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Russian Federation1613 Posts
November 18 2014 14:52 GMT
#18
Evil dictator Taeja, so funny ;D
INnoVation TY Maru | Classic Stats Dear sOs Zest herO | Rogue Dark soO
DreamOen
Profile Joined March 2010
Spain1400 Posts
November 18 2014 14:56 GMT
#19
Nice , even tho I will miss hotbit interviews ;(
Tester | MC | Crank | Flash | Jaedong | MVP
BeastRoW
Profile Joined May 2014
Canada16 Posts
November 18 2014 14:56 GMT
#20
Bomber was definitely great in this interview.
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war. - Imagination rules the world. - Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them. - Ability is nothing without opportunity.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 414
SteadfastSC227
Rex93
EnkiAlexander 16
TaKeTV 0
ComeBackTV 0
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 227
ProTech128
Rex 93
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 51685
Bisu 2502
Horang2 1399
Hyuk 607
Shuttle 565
BeSt 547
EffOrt 520
Mini 450
Light 358
Soma 346
[ Show more ]
Larva 313
ZerO 197
Rush 178
Mong 94
Leta 82
Snow 65
Sea.KH 60
Pusan 57
ToSsGirL 52
Mind 44
Aegong 34
JYJ 31
Sexy 30
Yoon 30
sorry 21
Bale 20
Terrorterran 15
Noble 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Rock 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5052
XaKoH 391
Counter-Strike
Fnx 784
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1453
Khaldor1156
Lowko423
Other Games
gofns37532
singsing2034
olofmeister1318
B2W.Neo421
hiko376
Beastyqt298
Livibee203
Liquid`VortiX93
Mew2King80
ArmadaUGS56
djWHEAT39
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV182
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 20
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1133
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 43m
CranKy Ducklings
20h 43m
Online Event
21h 43m
FEL
1d 2h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.