• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:00
CEST 10:00
KST 17:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6628 users

Rifkin talks with Millenium !

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Aeromi
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
France14463 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-06 18:36:51
November 06 2014 15:27 GMT
#1
Hey, Millenium did a huge interview with the lovely Rifkin and I wanted to share it on TeamLiquid because we love BasetradeTV !

[M] Corto : Hello everybody !
For those of you who currently try to keep up with every StarCraft II tournaments, you must have noticed that most of them can be followed on the Twitch.tv channel BaseTradeTV : IEM qualifiers, Against the odds, Olimoleague, 32 boys One Cup, Who’s the best European, Go4SC2 and I could continue like that for some time…
Simultaneously, this channel is probably most of the time when it’s on air at the top in terms of viewership among other StarCraft II channels. So such success has for sure something to do with the charisma of its main caster and founder Graham Rogers that you probably know under the nickname Rifkin.
To come back with him on the history of BasetradeTV and discuss about its future and probably many other StarCraft II related questions, it is my pleasure to have him with me today.
So hello Rifkin !
Rifkin : Hello !

[M] Corto So, from what I understood, BasetradeTV was created early in 2012 after you left ZEEK TV, another organization for whom you used to cast, and that you left to start your own project.
After two years, BasetradeTV is probably one of the most viewed StarCraft II channel on Twitch.tv if not the most, if we exclude big tournaments channels like ESL, Dreamhack and Redbull. My first question is very simple : according to you, what have been and still are the key points for such success ?
Rifkin : Oh Boy... I want to say me first, right ah ah ! I guess that part of it is dedication, I think it has to be the number one thing. It is the fact that even when we had like only twenty people watching our stream, we still kept at it. Every week we would be there for Zotac cup, we’d be there for the Go4sc2. It was a matter of just keeping to it, I mean, every single week. For the last two years we have covered various weekly cups. And I really tribute a good ninety percents of our "success" to dedication.

[M] Corto OK. That’s probably it.
I would have also said maybe “the rhythm”. Because when we watch your stream, there’s really a lot of rhythm, I mean the breaks are really short, you are always talking, there is really a very good rhythm during your stream. I was also wondering if sometimes you watch your replays to see how it looks like and to see what you could maybe improve in your streams ? Or you don’t do it ?

Rifkin : Yes, I do it a lot and I got to tell you I think that just like every other human being on the planet, I hate listening to my own voice. It makes it incredibly difficult to go through hours of footage. But what you guys have to understand, is whenever you see a video cut up on Youtube, it is not because there is really sick timestamps someone else made, it’s because for the last year and a half, in fact up until two weeks ago I was the only one who’d cut off our VODs so I had to go through and watch each video, fully through so I cut it at the start and at the finish.
And there is a lot of thing you pick up on when you hear yourself. I think number one is a lot of the repeated words. I know for example that one of my vices is that I say “granted” way too much. But you know, I look back on it and it used to be every third word out of my mouth was “like” : you know “like this, like that, like ...” and after some time I manage to kinda cut that out of my dialogs, so I mean... Yeah I kinda go back and listen to what I am saying and what I can improve on.



You can hear the interview here : Click me ! or read the transcription here : Click me !

Don't be afraid about the French words at the beginning, the interviewer, Corto, switches to English after a few seconds.

Feel free to share if you like it !
https://twitter.com/DrAeromi | Updates on live tournaments: @StarCrafteSport
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17928 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-06 15:52:44
November 06 2014 15:31 GMT
#2
great interview; thanks for posting.

it is nice to hear Rifkin can live comfortably on the income he makes from BaseTradeTV.

237 hours of casting in a month? what a slacker.

"i could make 10X as much money doing LoL, but i couldn't force myself to cast as much as i do Starcraft because i just don't have the interest in LoL".


Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
joshie0808
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada1024 Posts
November 06 2014 17:56 GMT
#3
Such a long interview haha but it was really good to hear Rifkins thoughts. I love basetradeTV and will pretty much watch it no matter what they're streaming
faulty
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada204 Posts
November 06 2014 18:53 GMT
#4
Love this guy. Always gives honest answers and pretty transparent. Hope to see more BasetradeTV on higher profile events :D
"More gg, more skill" - White-Ra
stardog
Profile Joined August 2011
556 Posts
November 08 2014 15:44 GMT
#5
sc2 scene would be way more dull without basetrade.tv
nice idea to give it some spotlight
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
November 09 2014 13:10 GMT
#6
Awesome interview!!
PresenceSc2
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4032 Posts
November 09 2014 13:14 GMT
#7
Rifkin stole Tastless's passion
Stephano//HerO//TaeJa//Squirtle//Bomber
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4444
Leta 1696
BeSt 441
Soulkey 350
Soma 140
ZergMaN 34
Shine 29
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm136
XcaliburYe3
League of Legends
JimRising 571
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Other Games
summit1g8670
WinterStarcraft697
Sick218
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2295
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h
Patches Events
7h
BSL Open Qualifier
11h
BSL Open Qualifier
11h
OSC
15h
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.